• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

Firstly,what league said.
Secondly, if you keep a bias like no gen4 or 5 pokes then I will have to say that you will be at a constant disadvantage against other competitive battlers, who will use Gen 4 and 5 pokes.
Thirdly, as League said, you will need to gives us more details about the Pokemon you want to use.
I don't necessarily follow the second point (and not because it doesn't mention my name, haha)--anyway, @NekoGirl, I think you can easily get by using pokemon from Gens 1/2/3. (I tried whenever I battled to sneak as many pokemon from lower tiers as possible into my teams, with some exception of pokemon I like that are used alot--I usually managed 3 or 4 unconventional pokemon onto my team in such a manner. Needless to say [again], I think you can get by with OU pokemon from the first 3 gens.)

(And strangely, I still don't know whether this team is for Black or White (Gens 5), or for Heart Gold, Soul Silver, Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum (Gens 4). Everything from your sig to your desire to not use 4th or 5th gen pokemon makes it hard to tell. Anyway, if you're making a team for Black/White, then you could find some OU pokemon off of this list in the same manner that you got pokemon off of the other one.)

Anyway,

Cause right now the only non-legends that stand out to me are the gen 2 & 3, which *would* be ideal, (though none truly make my top ten, I still love pretty much all of them) but I spot one issue: too many dual types, & I'm very much aware its best to avoid those if at all possible. I'd imagine a limit of 2 or at most, 3 duals is plausible, but best to stay at 2. Right now, I'm looking at the following, with no decision on movesets just yet:
(I don't despise 4th or 5th gens, its just the anime connection they have, *and* I'm not a rabid fan of more than a bare handful, if that many, I think a good 30 when combining the two... just not used to the "style", when compared to the older gens.)
^^these items^^ I don't quite get. Dual-type pokemon are bad if they're bad after all things are considered, same as mono-type pokemon... Scizor is a great dual-type, Charizard is a bad one.

Anyway, if you want the types you do, then Magneton/Magnezone (Magnezone should be obtainable in Heart Gold or Soul Silver--he's a 4th gen evolution to Magneton) would be a cookie-cutter pokemon and an Electric (/Steel) pokemon (he's used to trap Steel types, particularly Skarmory); Quagsire is actually not a bad suggestion and would give you a Water/Ground combo [pokemon]--both Magne[zone] and Quagsire are suggestions you mentioned and both are immune to Sandstorm's damaging effect (set in motion by the ability, Sand Stream, of Tyranitar and Hippowdon). Swampert is another good Water/Ground. Gliscor is a cookie-cutter Ground/Flying pokemon, and is also immune to sand--Charizard has been chased out of competitive play for his 4x Rock weakness and other offenses. (Gliscor is a 4th gen evolution to Gligar, but is generally obtainable in HGSS.)

Per Grass pokemon, Breloom and Cradily (neither are in the Uber article, but such is because Uber is a specialized metagame) can operate well in sand--Breloom recovers slightly more health each turn than the Sandstorm damage it takes and has access to Spore, Swords Dance, Grass moves and Mach Punch, while Cradily resists Sandstorm damage (as do all Rock, Ground, and Steel pokemon) while having its Sp. Def boosted in Sand (Sandstorm boosts the Sp. Def of Rock types by 1.5x).

And meh, I'm hard pressed to suggest a Psychic pokemon. They're easy to trap, as can be Ghost pokemon (these have their use though). Metagross and Bronzong are both good pokemon.

***************************​
Ultimately, I'm recommending a beginner-friendly Sand team. Lucario, Tyranitar, and Metagross are all good pokemon here. Gliscor is immune to Ground, resists Fighting, and is a physical wall--as is Metagross, kinda. (Both Tyranitar and Cradily can be special walls. Cradily uniquely takes neutral damage from both Water and Fire; Breloom, however, will resist Ground and Water. Cradily also might not be used for various reasons...) Water Absorb Quagsire gives your team a Water immunity. Magnezone can removes steels that may hinder you, though your team can maybe handle them otherwise--maybe you should put Thunderbolt on Tyranitar for Skarmory and Suicune (?).

^^This above general team spread generally lacks a special attacker, unless Tyranitar, Lucario, Cradily, and Magnezone (if you choose Magnezone, that is) go that route. (I like the mixed Ttar set on Smogon though.)

Last edited:

Hi. I'm playing the English red version (gen1) and I'm in need of a mixed wall. Could some one help me out and offer some suggestions? I'm considering weezing or slowbro, but I'm open to suggestions.

Slowbro is great. Exxegutor is another good one. Cloystor also has decent defenses.

So running through Heartgold, and decided to go for a run with Cyndaquil this time, as Feraligatr needs to rest.

My line-up is (planned) Typhlosion, Sandslash, Ampharos, Kingdra, Quagsire and Sunflora. Sandslash and Quagsire is primary defense, albeit not specially-based, Kingdra can probably handle that anyways. I'm currently right in front of Whitney, having acquired five out six (though Kingdra will take some time, after seventh gym, which is partly why Quagsire is on the team)

At any rate, I'm questioning my potential Typhlosion set (Flamethrower, Focus Blast, Eruption, Something). I'm wondering if Solarbeam is usable in the last spot, just because it has a bit of a lackluster movepool. I'm planning on having a Sunflora on my team, so I was considering Sunny Day, but that could potentially hinder Kingdra and Quagsire, so I'm a bit skeptical. I have no issues with Water, considering Water Absorb, Kingdra and Sunflora can handle that. There's really few types that can really damage my team, yet Ghost, Dragon, Figthing, Psychic and Dark (plus Normal) have no resistances. An option could be replacing Quagsire for Forretress when I get Kingdra (or some other Steel, but I'd rather it be Forretress), but than again, I like Quagsire.

Soulsilver:
Charizard
Expert belt
lvl 100
flamethrower
dragonclaw
airslash
earthquake

In game, you get good coverage. It'll work fine.
Feraligatr
Nevermeltice
lvl 100
ice fang
surf I would suggest Waterfall over Surf, ebcause of Gatr's higher attack
superpower
crunch

Ampharos
lvl 79
lucky egg (for training, normally magnet)
discharge
signal beam
shockwave
power gem
Don't see what shock wave is doing on here...Charge beam might be better.

scizor
lvl 72
lucky egg (for training, normally metal coat)
x-scizzor
strength
night slash
steelwing

Scizor is a great ingame pokemon, but here's thes et I'd suggest:
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Brick Break
Bugbite if available, if not, filler move. Yes, it looks like a competitive set. IBut I've used it personally and it worked great.

Dragonite
lvl 66
mistic water
aqua tail
dragon rush
dragon pulse
earthquake

Dragon Dance would work well on here. If you have the TM, Dragon Claw over Rush.

Aerodactyl
lvl 45
exp. share
bite
fly
rockslide
steelwing

ONce you level up a bit, might I suggest, EQ+ROck Slide+Crunch+Elemental Fang?

Comments in bold

Blaziken would work fine. THe main thing you should remember is that, as an ingame team, specifics like this on't really matter, the main point is to enjoy the playthrough.
Personally, though, I prefer Magmortar because it gets an edge with special attacks, since your team is mostly physical right now, but up to you.

So running through Heartgold, and decided to go for a run with Cyndaquil this time, as Feraligatr needs to rest.

My line-up is (planned) Typhlosion, Sandslash, Ampharos, Kingdra, Quagsire and Sunflora. Sandslash and Quagsire is primary defense, albeit not specially-based, Kingdra can probably handle that anyways. I'm currently right in front of Whitney, having acquired five out six (though Kingdra will take some time, after seventh gym, which is partly why Quagsire is on the team)

At any rate, I'm questioning my potential Typhlosion set (Flamethrower, Focus Blast, Eruption, Something). I'm wondering if Solarbeam is usable in the last spot, just because it has a bit of a lackluster movepool. I'm planning on having a Sunflora on my team, so I was considering Sunny Day, but that could potentially hinder Kingdra and Quagsire, so I'm a bit skeptical. I have no issues with Water, considering Water Absorb, Kingdra and Sunflora can handle that. There's really few types that can really damage my team, yet Ghost, Dragon, Figthing, Psychic and Dark (plus Normal) have no resistances. An option could be replacing Quagsire for Forretress when I get Kingdra (or some other Steel, but I'd rather it be Forretress), but than again, I like Quagsire.

Don't go with foretress. It isn't exactly useful ingame. Unfortunately, sunny day will hinder almost half of you team. If you do want to put up sunny day, then make sure that, you have another poke who can abuse it fully like Arcanine, Charizard,Victreebel(chlorophyll), Roserade,etc.

Typhlosion @Heat rock/ any other item may do.
Sunny day
Solar beam
Flamethrower
Eruption / Focus blast / Brick break.
The last move slot comes to your choice. Focus blast is the most powerful(Eruption will lose power if you are hit while trying to set up sunny day.) I have also suggested brick break if you hate Focus blast's accuracy.

@Thundagere
Bp on scizor is useful only if he has Technician on it.

Yeah, the reason to Forretress was that I never used it before, not that I expect it to be too useful. But I find that having a strong offense is a lot more important than strong defense in-game, considering there's not that much that can damage you too badly.

At any rate, Gamefreak has really gone to great lengths to fuck up most, if not all Grass-types in HGSS (except perhaps . So my planned Sunflora gets no really useful moves except Sludge Bomb outside Grass-moves (and Earth Power, but it gets that way too late), and even good Grass-moves are scarce. Going to trade over a TM53, just because they chose to screw it over so badly. Sure, Petal Dance could work, but I don't like the drawback vs the power (at least in gen III/IV). I was also considering Victreebel, but chose Sunflora simply because I wanted something new. Not that Victreebel is much better in the move-department, except STAB Sludge Bomb he has even worse level-up moves (Vine Whip and Acid really till Razor Leaf in level 39) than Sunflora/Sunkern if you ask me, and doesn't get Leech Seed either.

Will probably just run Flamethrower/Focus Blast/Eruption/Solarbeam just because it's special move-pool is pretty crappy, not that I like Focus Blast much, it would be just for coverage, and I don't bother trading a TM just for that (I prefer to trade as little as possible just to get perks, but in Sunflora's case, that's because Giga Drain/Energy Ball/Grass Knot TM are all found in Kanto, which is way too late.)

Soulsilver:
Ampharos
lvl 79
lucky egg (for training, normally magnet)
discharge
signal beam
shockwave
power gem

I recommend replacing Shock Wave with Focus Blast. You can buy it in Goldenrod City

Mmm..the problem with this is the fact that it's very difficult to get through the game and get your Pokémon's full potential ingame. This is in no small part due to the diffculty of EV training in game.
My advice would be to post it in a competitive RMT thread, with EVs, strategy, and anything (since it technically isn't in game if your intent is competitive), get the advice, and then level them up. yes, levelling is hard. But the thing is, it's the only way to do well.
on the other hand, if the tourney's are auto level 50, then you don't need to level up that much. Just saying.

OK, I'm working on a team right now (obviously), and I need some advice. Here:

Spr_5b_248.png

Tyranitar w/Sand Stream
Stats: 242HP/224Atk/205Def/171SpA/169SpD/116Spe
Nature: Relaxed. Characteristic: Alert to sounds.
~Stone Edge
~Earthquake
~Crunch
~Dragon Claw (filler)
------------------------

Spr_5b_445_f.png

Garchomp w/Sand Veil
Stats: 261HP/222Atk/166Def/129SpA/126SpD/194Spe
Nature: Naive. Characteristic: Strongly defiant.
~Stone Edge
~Earthquake
~Swords Dance
~Outrage
------------------------

Spr_5b_448.png

Lucario w/Inner Focus
Stats: 180HP/174Atk/104Def/184SpA/100SpD/141Spe
Nature: Rash. Characteristic: Likes to fight.
~Dark Pulse
~Blaze Kick
~Earthquake
~Aura Sphere​
Also planned: Forretress, Stoutland.
In case you don't already know, it's supposed to be a Sandstorm team.

Currently I'm stuck with Lucario. I plan on adding ExtremeSpeed, but I can't decide on whether to replace EQ or B. Kick. I figure it should be Blaze Kick, but I bred the move on it, and I kinda like it. And it's not like I have to use E-Speed, but I looked on Smogon and most of its sets seem to require it.

As for the other two, I guess it's "how-do-I-avoid-similar-movesets (StoneQuake combo mostly)?".

I miiight start over and EV train them, but that depends on whether or not I actually get around to it.

Uh, advice, I guess?

Yeah, the reason to Forretress was that I never used it before, not that I expect it to be too useful. But I find that having a strong offense is a lot more important than strong defense in-game, considering there's not that much that can damage you too badly.

At any rate, Gamefreak has really gone to great lengths to fuck up most, if not all Grass-types in HGSS (except perhaps . So my planned Sunflora gets no really useful moves except Sludge Bomb outside Grass-moves (and Earth Power, but it gets that way too late), and even good Grass-moves are scarce. Going to trade over a TM53, just because they chose to screw it over so badly. Sure, Petal Dance could work, but I don't like the drawback vs the power (at least in gen III/IV). I was also considering Victreebel, but chose Sunflora simply because I wanted something new. Not that Victreebel is much better in the move-department, except STAB Sludge Bomb he has even worse level-up moves (Vine Whip and Acid really till Razor Leaf in level 39) than Sunflora/Sunkern if you ask me, and doesn't get Leech Seed either.

Will probably just run Flamethrower/Focus Blast/Eruption/Solarbeam just because it's special move-pool is pretty crappy, not that I like Focus Blast much, it would be just for coverage, and I don't bother trading a TM just for that (I prefer to trade as little as possible just to get perks, but in Sunflora's case, that's because Giga Drain/Energy Ball/Grass Knot TM are all found in Kanto, which is way too late.)

Alright here is another good grass type but it is difficult to get:
Roserade@Heat rock
Sunny day
Weather ball
Any grass move
Filler move like sludge bomb/leech seed, etc.

Weather ball will turn into a base 100 power fire type move when its sunny. It will also get the sunny day boost.

Edit: @NekoGirl
You might want to go to this thread.

Edit2:
@Flareth
Tyranitar: good set, but you can put in something like icebeam or flamethrower or brick break instead of Dragon claw. T-tar has a decent spatk, which you can abuse.
Garchomp: Nice.
Lucario: You can put in Work up instead of Earthquake.
Forettress: Ferrothorn is better. However neither is incredibly useful in game.

As for your last 2 slots you can put in stuff like Gliscor, Terrakion or Excadrill.

Last edited:

Edit2:
@Flareth
Tyranitar: good set, but you can put in something like icebeam or flamethrower or brick break instead of Dragon claw. T-tar has a decent spatk, which you can abuse.
I actually ran Brick Break on him before, but I deleted it for D-Claw. Then again, a special move does seem useful...
Garchomp: Nice.
Thanks, but is there anything that can replace Stone Edge (seeing as I already have that on T-Tar)?
Lucario: You can put in Work up instead of Earthquake.
Never would've thought of that. Anything about the Ex-Speed vs. Blaze Kick thing, though?
Forettress: Ferrothorn is better. However neither is incredibly useful in game.
Damnit, I already started working on Forretress, too. Ah well, just have to make a team switch, then.

Any ideas on EV spreads (should I ever get around to doing do)?

Any ideas on EV spreads (should I ever get around to doing do)?

T-tar can use flamethrower/ice beam/thunderbolt well. Ev spread: 252 attack/ 252 spatk(If you put in a special attack.) Otherwise just put everything in hp or speed.

Garchomp: Fire Fang/ Fire blast. Most steel types have poor spdef. Even with a lower spatk, Garchomp will do a lot to any steel type with Fire blast but its your call. Ev spread:252 atk/ 252 spatk.

Lucario: Imo both are useful but I think Extreme speed has lot of merits, since you will cover almost everything with Dark Pulse/ Aura sphere.

Nope, foretress isn't useful enough. Ferrothorn has better stabs/ curse/ leech seed, etc.
If you still want to go with it:
Foretress@leftovers
Spikes/Stealth rock
Gyro ball
Earthquake
Payback
However, it isn't going to be very useful, I'll add that..

T-tar can use flamethrower/ice beam/thunderbolt well. Ev spread: 252 attack/ 252 spatk(If you put in a special attack.) Otherwise just put everything in hp or speed.

Hmm, sounds like a plan. I'm thinking Thunderbolt, seeing as any Water-Type that comes in has the potential to ruin my team.
Garchomp: Fire Fang/ Fire blast. Most steel types have poor spdef. Even with a lower spatk, Garchomp will do a lot to any steel type with Fire blast but its your call. Ev spread:252 atk/ 252 spatk.
Well, it may be low, but it's better than Tarous's.

Lucario: Imo both are useful but I think Extreme speed has lot of merits, since you will cover almost everything with Dark Pulse/ Aura sphere.
Running Fire Blast on Garchomp seems to make B-Kick redundant, no?
Anyway, I'll ditch it for Ex-Speed.

Nope, foretress isn't useful enough. Ferrothorn has better stabs/ curse/ leech seed, etc.
If you still want to go with it:
Foretress@leftovers
Spikes/Stealth rock
Gyro ball
Earthquake
Payback
However, it isn't going to be very useful, I'll add that...

OK, so I guess it's Ferrothorn, then. Now the question is, Spikes or Stealth Rock?

Also, do I need Rapid Spin for this particular team?

OK, so I guess it's Ferrothorn, then. Now the question is, Spikes or Stealth Rock?

Also, do I need Rapid Spin for this particular team?

Rapid spin is useless ingame.
There are many sets for ferrothorn you can use:
My fave:
Ferrothorn@leftovers
252hp/252spdef
Brave/Sassy nature
Curse
Gyro ball
Power whip/Payback
Leech seed

This is one of my most favorite set ever. Start with leech seed to steal health as you set up a couple of curses and become impossible to kill and then do overwhelming damage to everything with Gyro ball and Payback. Keep him away from fire and fighting types though. Also be careful of burns but I must say that if used properly, this set is fantastic.

Another one I use:
Ferrothorn@Leftovers
Leech seed
Protect
Spikes
Power whip

I would say stealth rock is better ingame if you just wanna set up in a turn, but itsn't even necessary at all. It does help in some battles though.

Also, if you want leech seed + sr/spikes Ferroseed, tell me and I will give you one.

OK, I'll get to work on that first set (albeit with some tweaks). Thanks for the advice, by the way!

OK, I'll get to work on that first set (albeit with some tweaks). Thanks for the advice, by the way!

sure, but do try to keep in leech seed. Thats sort of the crux of the set, since ferrothorn will lose hp pretty fast otherwise.

Just a quick question: which is generally better for a Mawile with Sheer Force to know? Metal Burst or Iron Head?
Mine already knows MB but i'm coming up on the level for it to learn IH, and i generally only like one move of each type in a moveset.

And if it matters any here are her specs (note i don't have anything really in mind for her as far as purpose):

Mild nature
Likes to thrash about
Sheer Force
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Metal Burst
-Iron Defense

Edit: i was also thinking that maybe having MB might be redundant since when she uses iron defense, it would make MB LESS powerful...thoughts?

Last edited:

Just a quick question: which is generally better for a Mawile with Sheer Force to know? Metal Burst or Iron Head?
Mine already knows MB but i'm coming up on the level for it to learn IH, and i generally only like one move of each type in a moveset.

And if it matters any here are her specs (note i don't have anything really in mind for her as far as purpose):

Mild nature
Likes to thrash about
Sheer Force
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Metal Burst
-Iron Defense

Edit: i was also thinking that maybe having MB might be redundant since when she uses iron defense, it would make MB LESS powerful...thoughts?

Go with Iron Head for more reliable damage.

Back
Top Bottom