• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

They maybe the worst selling but their sales are still rather close to those of GS. Considering that Pokemon was no longer a fad and didn't sell due to the fad factor by then, thats a big achievement.

1. What part of "we're talking about RSE" (where you CAN'T add EV's), not about BW you didn't understand? Seemingly the part where we're on the RSE remake thread.

2. Due to the context of the point argued, you made it seem like UT referred to the "with no EV's" part only. Also, FYI when people search for UT Pokémon usually (not universally though, I accept) is for the sake of having control of its EV's, so again, my POV, if erroneous, still makes sense in context.

3. I thought the point of transfering Pokémon from older games was to keep its moves and Level and save the player te need to catch and train the same Pokémon again. If you transfer a Level 100 Pokémon from a GB game to a GBA game and it resetted its Level it would have no point. Not to mention that what would happen to evolved Pokémon? Would they de-evolve or you'd end up with a Lv. 5 Charizard and a Level 2 Pidgeot? See? If EVresetting Pokémon would be hard to achieve, Levelresetting would have been even harder, and moreover, useless. So I repeat. NO. just no.

short answer: it can be done & if it had been done i would've liked gen 3 a lot more

i'd say that's end of our discussion as you're nitpicking & my point (detailed above) stands

If disproving the whole argument (backed up by a mere "it can be done") is nitpicking, then yes, you win.

Back on topic: even when these installments were the most criticized back in the day, they were still well received by critics. I remember that famous "Best GBA games" list by IGN and RS ranked in the top ten, so I think in the end, after the "OMG I can't trade my old Pokémon fiasco", people realized those were still great games.

I got Sapphire in launch year, and Ruby a year later, so I was 17/18 back then. I was 12 when I got Blue in the year of release overseas.

I never had this nostalgia associated to the series, or anything, really. I was never a nostalgic person in most ways. In a way, I guess GSC spoiled most people, and they thought RS would keep everything they had intact, and keep the entire world connected. When it turned out to be a clean slate in almost every sense, I guess people were disappointed.

I won't deny it wasn't a good idea to keep next to none references to the previous Generations, but... if that compromise led to Ruby/Sapphire feeling familiar yet fresh and do a much better job at introducing new Pokémon, I'm glad it happened. Any other feature that wasn't kept... it was never too important or well utilized in the first place.

Even when I have not trained to level 100 each one of them, nor do I consider myself an expert trainer/breeder, I do know I really like Aron, Aggron, Banette, Beldum, Claydol, Carvanah, Corphish, Duskull, Deoxys, Gardevoir, Kirlia, Kyogre, Lairon, Lotad, Ludicolo, Mawile, Metagross, Minun, Ninjask, Rayquaza, Sableye, Salamence, Seviper, Sharpedo, Shedinja, Snorunt, Torchic, Trapinch, Tropius, Wailord, Wingull and Zangoose.

Yeah, the Pokémon distribution in the Hoenn region was badly done. The Tentacool encounter rate was ill-conceived, but sometimes was useful to train certain Pokémon; anyway, they are like a pest in every game, not only in Hoenn. If Hoenn was to have so many routes, they should have included more water Pokémon, new and old. I like surfing and diving in the Pokémon games, I hate fishing.

By the way, Wallace is not a very cool champion, he is better as a gym leader; and I don´t like Sidney and Phoebe as league members. But I really like Roxanne, Flannery, Juan, and Steven.

I hope to see Hoenn on better graphics, especially dusks and nights. I would like some moody scores, old looking/gloomy towns with their dim street lights and brick/cobblestone/sett pavements.

Last edited:
short answer: it can be done & if it had been done i would've liked gen 3 a lot more

i'd say that's end of our discussion as you're nitpicking & my point (detailed above) stands

They completly changed the data structure... this has been expained to death... the addisions of Natures/Abilities and te complete overhall of the EV/IV system prevented compatibility... and if they tried it would have been increaivly buggy... Yeah it sucked but hoestly... I doubt they could have made Gen II anfd III commpatible if they tried the data structure is just to different.

(this is not conserning you so gnore this part)
About the Water Routes... IT's A FUCKNG TROPICAL ISLAND CHAIN!!! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT? You don't say Hawaii has to much water do hou? and this has been brought up befre... REPELS!!!

I personally didn't hate Generation 3 it actually was my favorite Generation next to Generation 2. I mean everyone has there own opinion and the right to like or not to like what they want I personally don't hate any Generation the one's I don't say I like I'm pretty much neutral about except Generation 5 because of the Pokémon mirroring Generation 1's Pokémon.

Last edited:
Aside from nostalgia filter and the incompatibility to transfer Pokemon from the older games, there was the lack of Day/Night times, which only made finding/catching Pokemon a bit difficult, a large number of water types (There's only a few good ones) and water routes, which may have been fixed with more islands like they did in Wind Waker, and the anime, where Misty got the boot.

I enjoyed 3rd gen but there were indeed a few points i disliked.

Personnaly, my pkm were well stored in 2nd gen, waiting for trade/transfer on 3rd gen. Then, bad surprise ^^
Even more a bad surprise when your old GB games pass away with events you had hard time to get on it.

2nd gen simply followed 1st gen pokedex. but 3rd gen had a totally different pokedex. So folks were lost.
New concept? New departure? Folks liked Kanto pokedex and so were disapointed.
It's only thanks to cheat device that we knew we could expect another game to follow with older pkm and the concept of regional and national pokedex.
And so came distant land and Kanto remake. Things were better already at that moment.

3rd Gen is a remake of 1st with many adds and so is 4th gen for 2nd gen. If Nintendo said that at the beginning, i thinks people wouldn't have complained that much about Hoenn.

As European, i also saw the "unfair" problem. We never got the e-reader, had to send our games to a random television program magazine to get 1 of the 500 Eon ticket.
Ahh... maybe to late for a few people so. And wait 2 month before you get your game back.
Aurora ticket hardly available. Mystic ticket only for USA and Japan and Old Sea Map only for Japan.

Now with Wi fi it's not perfect (wonder why by the way^^) but it's better.

For people saying 3rd gen was too easy, i guess that means they got a 4 stars trainer card on all 5 GBA games in 2 weeks.
Seriously who cares about the storyline difficulty? It's not like beating the elite 4 means beating the game. It's the easiest star to get on the trainer card.

I personally like all of the Pokemon games no matter what Gen they are. There are are always aspects that aren't as good than another gen and aspects that are better in every Pokemon game.

Ruby and Sapphire had some things better than Gen 2 and 1 and at the same time had things a lot worse. I could go on about what I dislike and like about every gen, but at the end of the day I take the bad with the good and vice versa.

Gen 3 is not my favourite one, as I played Pokemon from the very beginning (Gen 1), but if it's a Pokemon game it's still great ^^.

I like Gen 3 and although I sometimes complain about it, Hoenn is my fav place to go around.

However, if I were to include my complaints...

1. The Rivals - making them give up midway just sucked. If they were planning to have them give up battles, then they should've given Wally more spotlight.

2. Steven - Although I do like the tag-battle with him and the post-game boss thing... HE SHOULD'VE STAYED CHAMPION IN EMERALD

3. Pokemon distribution - I agree with most of the users above me. While Hoenn has half the map covered with water, there aren't many water-types to catch compared to other regions. Only the freakin Tentacools from previous gens and the effing Wingulls. And I know they deliberately made it so it's epic, but Wally caught a Ralts on his first encounter.
I had to walk for HOURS to meet a Ralts.

4. The berry glitch - THIS MADE ME MAD. WUT?? CLOCK-BASED EVENTS WON'T OCCUR ANYMORE?? WTF?? I PLANTED ALL MY SITRUS BERRIES!!

I like Gen 3 and although I sometimes complain about it, Hoenn is my fav place to go around.

However, if I were to include my complaints...

1. The Rivals - making them give up midway just sucked. If they were planning to have them give up battles, then they should've given Wally more spotlight.

2. Steven - Although I do like the tag-battle with him and the post-game boss thing... HE SHOULD'VE STAYED CHAMPION IN EMERALD

3. Pokemon distribution - I agree with most of the users above me. While Hoenn has half the map covered with water, there aren't many water-types to catch compared to other regions. Only the freakin Tentacools from previous gens and the effing Wingulls. And I know they deliberately made it so it's epic, but Wally caught a Ralts on his first encounter.
I had to walk for HOURS to meet a Ralts.

4. The berry glitch - THIS MADE ME MAD. WUT?? CLOCK-BASED EVENTS WON'T OCCUR ANYMORE?? WTF?? I PLANTED ALL MY SITRUS BERRIES!!

I agree with the rivals bit especially, but giving up wasn't even the biggest problem. I hate to sound like a jerk, but why on earth did your rival become your "friend?" i'm sorry, but that was crap. the rivals were straw one.

second had to be the legendaries. too many of them! the cool thing about legendaries is that they actually were super powerful since there were so few. but ever since this game, they have been wayyyyy over saturated.

third was probably the starter pokemon. they got worse with every game as we all know, but when comparing the kanto starters to the hoenn starters, its obvious that there's not really a contest...

second had to be the legendaries. too many of them! the cool thing about legendaries is that they actually were super powerful since there were so few. but ever since this game, they have been wayyyyy over saturated.

third was probably the starter pokemon. they got worse with every game as we all know, but when comparing the kanto starters to the hoenn starters, its obvious that there's not really a contest...

Though, Hoenn's legendaries were okay. The Weather Trio are actually really useful in battles due to their weather altering abilities.

Also, the starters were a bit bland to me. Yes, they were all cute, but I only found Sceptile useful enough to pick everytime when I replayed.

And I feel that the contests were not quite complete in Gen III. They actually had mentions of Wallace and Juan being Contest Masters, and they don't even participate in the Contests - not to compete, and not even to judge. Then why mention?

I agree with the rivals bit especially, but giving up wasn't even the biggest problem. I hate to sound like a jerk, but why on earth did your rival become your "friend?" i'm sorry, but that was crap. the rivals were straw one.

Rivals in the most basic sense are two or more individuals/teams with the same goals that test their skills against each other. Most of the time, they are friends or at the very least friendly towards each other. Rarely do rivals out right hate each other. Even almost every single sports team out there in the real world are friendly, despite what the fans would want you to believe. I agree that the RSE rivals were half done but their portrayal as the players friend is very much closer to how almost every single real world rivalries are.

Most religions have multiple gods. The earliest such as Egyptian, Greek, Hinduism, Roman have cluntless gods and goddess. Religions with only one god are NOT the norm but a rarity. So why is it that the Pokemon world's Legendary Pokemon which are equivalent to gods absolutely must have only a handful of them. Again the Pokemon World's potrayal of many Legendaries is much closer to most real world religions.

Your third point is the most confusing of all. Are we not entitled to our own opinions? You don't like the Hoenn starters? Fine by me. But using phrases like "as we all know" is just you trying to establish your opinion as fact which in reality is not the case at all. Different polls on different sites, despite being unreliable as they don't encompass the entire fandom show that the starter pokemon from all generations are just about equally loved. Hoenn starters are useful in the game. The other poster's point about Sceptile being the only useful one also confuses me since its Sceptile that has the hardest time in the game since it learns very few good moves without TMs and has to deal with being a Grass type along with all of that type's numerous faults.

My point? We all have opinions. Point out actual flaws in the games (which do exist) instead of claiming your opinion is fact while desperately trying to cling on to the ladt remnants of your childhood.

I love Generation III! Ruby and Sapphire are my second favorite of any Pokemon game! The towns and even the Pokemon were all unique I think.

Rivals in the most basic sense are two or more individuals/teams with the same goals that test their skills against each other. Most of the time, they are friends or at the very least friendly towards each other. Rarely do rivals out right hate each other. Even almost every single sports team out there in the real world are friendly, despite what the fans would want you to believe. I agree that the RSE rivals were half done but their portrayal as the players friend is very much closer to how almost every single real world rivalries are.

Most religions have multiple gods. The earliest such as Egyptian, Greek, Hinduism, Roman have cluntless gods and goddess. Religions with only one god are NOT the norm but a rarity. So why is it that the Pokemon world's Legendary Pokemon which are equivalent to gods absolutely must have only a handful of them. Again the Pokemon World's potrayal of many Legendaries is much closer to most real world religions.

Your third point is the most confusing of all. Are we not entitled to our own opinions? You don't like the Hoenn starters? Fine by me. But using phrases like "as we all know" is just you trying to establish your opinion as fact which in reality is not the case at all. Different polls on different sites, despite being unreliable as they don't encompass the entire fandom show that the starter pokemon from all generations are just about equally loved. Hoenn starters are useful in the game. The other poster's point about Sceptile being the only useful one also confuses me since its Sceptile that has the hardest time in the game since it learns very few good moves without TMs and has to deal with being a Grass type along with all of that type's numerous faults.

My point? We all have opinions. Point out actual flaws in the games (which do exist) instead of claiming your opinion is fact while desperately trying to cling on to the ladt remnants of your childhood.

I wasn't trying to claim that my opinions were fact. I apologize if I sounded like a gen I fanboy (I am), but give my ideas a little more credit than THAT...

1. Wasn't attempting to cite the technical definition of "rival." Merely stating that the rivals got much less noteworthy when they magically became your "friends." The rivals in Gens III and V were largely disposable because they were your friend (Gen IV pulled this off quite nicely, but this question specifically asks about Gen III), in fact they were SO disposable that they could give up on training through the game. Having the rival be an antagonist gave them a purpose, whereas now rivals are simply kept to maintain the Pokemon tradition. Would Gen III have been drastically different without Wally and May/Brendan? Maybe a little, but I don't think it would alter the story or game significantly. While characters that are friends can certainly serve significant purposes in the game (ie Gen IV), it becomes more difficult for them to do so when they are your friend. And in my opinion, having them serve in another role is significantly less effective

2. While you are entitled to worship whatever you choose, I personally do not worship Pokemon as a religion, nor does anybody else I know. Pokemon weren't "Gods" until Gen III, at least not nearly to the extent that they are now (Lugia and Ho-oh could loosely be considered "God-like," but they are just guardians; they did not CREATE anything). Right or wrong, religion IS a polarizing issue. Bringing in all sorts of Gods was a mistake within itself, but regardless of that, it wasn't even my point. Even if the Pokemon WERE to be Gods, the overpopulation of them makes each one less valuable. Before, a Mewtwo was soooo cool, because no other Pokemon could match it's strength. But with so many legends, it's now just another legendary. I'm not saying we should have kept Mewtwo as untouchable forever (after all, that's Arceus's job apparently...) but when you nearly DOUBLE the amount of Legendaries in one game, you are going a little bit overboard. Legendaries become instantly less "cool"

3. Here's an opinion poll for ya on how much people like Gen III starters...
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en....,cf.osb&fp=9d4368315bcbb6d4&biw=1024&bih=667

Overall, I think you are drifting away from the original question. It does not ask why an INDIVIDUAL hates gen III, it's why MANY people hate Gen III. Other than hardcore Pokefans, nobody cares if Sceptile can learn moves naturally versus a TM. People don't care how many Gods they have in Ancient Egypt or if Pokemon rivals are like those in real life. Essentially, you base your argument off of the claim that people react to everything based upon fact, when it is a fact that this is not true.

Not trying to be petty or snippy, simply saying my thoughts weren't as invalid as you claimed :)

Last edited:
2. While you are entitled to worship whatever you choose, I personally do not worship Pokemon as a religion, nor does anybody else I know. Pokemon weren't "Gods" until Gen III, at least not nearly to the extent that they are now (Lugia and Ho-oh could loosely be considered "God-like," but they are just guardians; they did not CREATE anything). Right or wrong, religion IS a polarizing issue. Bringing in all sorts of Gods was a mistake within itself, but regardless of that, it wasn't even my point. Even if the Pokemon WERE to be Gods, the overpopulation of them makes each one less valuable. Before, a Mewtwo was soooo cool, because no other Pokemon could match it's strength. But with so many legends, it's now just another legendary. I'm not saying we should have kept Mewtwo as untouchable forever (after all, that's Arceus's job apparently...) but when you nearly DOUBLE the amount of Legendaries in one game, you are going a little bit overboard. Legendaries become instantly less "cool"

There is a major difference between 'God' and 'god' despite being called the same thing and the only difference in their names is the capital G. A God is an omnipotent being who created the universe while a god is a significantly less notable. Not even Arcues is a God despite what fans claim. A god is term for a powerful being that is worshipped and is not necessarily all-powerful. The more legendaries their are, the more variety there is. The concept of many super powered beings fighting each other (as some of the games show) is much more interesting concept than a single all-powerful being.

Of I never claimed I worship POkemon. But the NPCs in the games do and legendary Pokemon are equivalent to real world gods.

There is a major difference between 'God' and 'god' despite being called the same thing and the only difference in their names is the capital G. A God is an omnipotent being who created the universe while a god is a significantly less notable. Not even Arcues is a God despite what fans claim. A god is term for a powerful being that is worshipped and is not necessarily all-powerful. The more legendaries their are, the more variety there is. The concept of many super powered beings fighting each other (as some of the games show) is much more interesting concept than a single all-powerful being.

Of I never claimed I worship POkemon. But the NPCs in the games do and legendary Pokemon are equivalent to real world gods.

Ha ha now we are getting a little more philosophical than logical, eh? Nah I understand what you're saying, and I'm just stating that the real change to Pokemon being that way changed in Gen. III. I think it's perfectly acceptable for us to agree to disagree on that one, but I do still believe almost HALF of the fan base leaving Pokemon in this generation speaks for itself on a lot of this. (Gen II sold about 23 million, Gen III main series sold about 13 million if I'm correct).

Either way, I see your point of view and perspective on the games, and do believe it is very valid. I just don't know if you are in the majority with your line of thinking, but who knows? Maybe I'm the one who's not.

I think it's perfectly acceptable for us to agree to disagree on that one, but I do still believe almost HALF of the fan base leaving Pokemon in this generation speaks for itself on a lot of this. (Gen II sold about 23 million, Gen III main series sold about 13 million if I'm correct).

This says nothing, really. What actually happened is most kids had grown out of the franchise by the time RSE were released. And the fad had simply died down. RSE were still the best selling games on the GBA, however the GBA itself was not as popular as the GB/GBC. Pokemon is still as healthy as ever, it's simply lost the fad status it once had.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom