• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

No Santa? No way! News anchor sorry for dashing kids' dreams

Nicoleta01

Reaction score
Warning: If there are any Santa-loving wee ones peeking over your shoulder, this would be a good time to send them on their way.

Shortly after airing a news segment aimed at helping parents curb their kids’ high-budget Christmas expectations, WFLD anchor Robin Robinson decided it was the perfect time to cut to the chase and advised parents to just tell kids there’s no such thing as Santa.

Just one problem with that Grinch-worthy reveal — Robinson delivered it in primetime, without one of those handy “tell the kids to leave the room” warnings.

“Stop trying to convince your kids that Santa is Santa,” the Chicago newscaster said bluntly. “That’s what my take is. Forget about it. That’s why they have these high expectations. They know you can’t afford it, so they’re going to ask some man in a red suit. There’s no Santa!”

According to Robinson, children should learn the truth as soon as they can talk. And no doubt many did when they heard her comments for themselves. That detail earned Robinson a fair share of angry messages from moms and dads.

The next night she returned to the tube with a Santa-sized mea culpa.

“It was careless and callous to say what I said in what could have been mixed company,” Robinson told viewers. "So many kids don’t get to be children that for those who do get to live the wonder and magic of Christmas, I would never spoil it intentionally. So I sincerely apologize.”

Source

How dare this woman ruin my Christmas with her 'there's no-Santa' talk!? >:[

Wow, thats just straight mean. I hope he gets his pay docked or something.

How hypocrite of her to say that I don't exist. :mad:

Wow, that is terrible. I also find it a bit contradicting that she rambles about Santa creating high expectations and in her mea culpa just goes "Er, ok, I'm sorry, you shouldn't ruin the magic of Christmas". I guess her little niece phoned her to flip her off or something LOL

The day I found out about Santa was one of the saddest of my life (haha, yeah). So even if it sounds silly, I think children should keep believing (not forever, of course, but...). It's a child's true faith in something that makes it really exist, rather than if it exists in reality. Shame on this woman for not understanding this!

Wait, if Santa doesn't exist, then who's that fat b*****d who I fight every Christmas?

The big bearded guy won't be happy about being accused of not existing. Isn't that right, @Santa?

Maybe it's because I'm now older and cynical myself, but I can see the point she was making. Even when I was much younger, there was always a voice in the back of my head saying: "Of course Santa isn't real! What proof do you have, and why else do your parents have to go out and buy the presents?!" But I'm one of those people who will continue to believe in something, despite any doubt, until I have confirmation. Believing in Santa made it felt like magic also existed, and the day I discovered he definitely wasn't real was the day my childhood ended. I think I would actually be a happier person overall if I wasn't lied to for so long. Seriously.

S-Santa isn't real?! T_T

Seriously though, me and my Mum just tell my younger brothers that Santa can't afford everything, or that due to the large amount of children across the world, parents and big brothers/sisters have to give Santa a bit of a hand.

Dad? Is that you???

It's not but it does remind me of when I learned that Santa wasn't real... at 4.

Seriously though, that's messed up in an hilarious way.

So... If Santa isn't real... Is the cake the truth then??

I can see the point the news anchor was trying to make, but I honestly think it's up to the parents to decide whether their kids will believe that kind of stuff.

On a related note, I'm a little conflicted on what to do with my own kids in terms of Christmas. I'm not very wealthy so I can't afford to buy them loads of expensive chinese plastic, so I'm wondering if I should just break it to them when they're young that Santa doesn't exist and that any gifts they receive will come from me, not some creepy pedophile in a red suit.

But Santa IS real goshdarnit! >:|
And no amount of "logic" will convince me otherwise. I don't go around accusing other people's beliefs as fraudulent so why must others infer with such severity that the lovable white bearded jolly intruder isn't real? :,(

Of note: the tooth fairy is also real. The Easter bunny isn't.

On topic:
She shouldn't have said what she said, especially at the time she decided to say it. But I ask, what's a 'mea culpa'?

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom