• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

What is your biggest issue with the show?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another big complaint for me about the pokemon series is that they're not using the game characters to the fullest extent. Yes, time is short, and I know the writers can't include every little detail and every single trainer on route whatever. But there are notable characters that deserve spotlight, and again, that would have to be Team Plasma but they were originally going to bring them in the series before that earthquake, so let's leave that for a moment or else I'll be complaining for a whole page.

First off was Steven Stone. Yuh, a freakin champion gets treated like a random character of the day... SERIOUSLY? And why did they have Lance at the Groudon/Kyogre showdown? Steven would've been loads more awesome with his Metagross!!

Many of the Elite Four members did not show up. Karen and Will would've made an awesome episode if they showed up together. A psychic-dark double battle combo would've been awesome against Ash and whoever.

Janine is the only gym leader not to have shown up. Well, I guess her introduction in the games had been rather untimely, and she missed her opportunity to appear in the anime the right point. But they still could've brought back Koga for an episode and have Janine show up as well.

The entire Johto saga is my biggest complaint. I've had things I've liked and disliked about all the other sagas, but there's always been more to like than dislike.

With Johto its basically I only like a small handful of things that occurred that saga, and everything else just wasn't what it should have been. I've been complaining about Johto for like 9 years now....its amazing how my opinion on it has never really changed. Who knew?

I've been complaining about Johto for like 9 years now....its amazing how my opinion on it has never really changed. Who knew?

Johto ended 9 years ago so nothing about the saga could have possibly changed since then.

But at the very least, the majority of the Johto pokemon got a lot of redemption in AG and DP. Some of these pokemon were only seen in filler episodes throughout Johto (i.e. Gligar, Ursaring), but it was nice to see that many of them were later obtained by main characters, rivals, or even used by COTDs for more relevant purposes (battles, contests).

First off was Steven Stone. Yuh, a freakin champion gets treated like a random character of the day... SERIOUSLY? And why did they have Lance at the Groudon/Kyogre showdown? Steven would've been loads more awesome with his Metagross!!

Steven was lucky to even have that small cameo episode for himself.

The majority of the Hoenn E4 did not appear in the anime, unfortunately. Drake was the only member that truly appeared in an episode.

Lance's reappearance in the Groudon and Kyogre two-parter was most likely used as a nod to FRLG which was released a few months earlier in Japan.

Many of the Elite Four members did not show up. Karen and Will would've made an awesome episode if they showed up together. A psychic-dark double battle combo would've been awesome against Ash and whoever.

Kanto and Johto have the same Elite Four in the games, something that seems to be nearly confirmed in the anime since the "Champion" Lance made his first anime appearance in the Johto region.

Neither Karen nor Will were confirmed as members of the Kanto-Johto E4 until the timeskip that occurs in the games; the same timeskip that also revealed the promotion of Gym Leader Koga to the same position. Since Agatha (who was only in the Kanto-Johto E4 for the first generation) appeared later on in AG, there was no timeskip in the anime in the same respect as in the games. Therefore, we can assume that the E4 members of the Kanto-Johto regions in the anime are those that originally appeared in RGBY.

Janine is the only gym leader not to have shown up. Well, I guess her introduction in the games had been rather untimely, and she missed her opportunity to appear in the anime the right point. But they still could've brought back Koga for an episode and have Janine show up as well.

Again, for the same reason as above: there was no timeskip in the anime that allowed Janine to become a gym leader. Even though the majority of the Kanto gym leaders were not seen since their debut appearances, we can assume that Koga is still the Fuschia Gym Leader after all of this time. Koga was never confirmed to receive a promotion in the E4 in the same respect as in the games. Janine had not been conceptualized as a character when Koga first made his debut in the episode over 14 years ago.

Last edited:
Johto ended 9 years ago so nothing about the saga could have possibly changed since then.

But at the very least, the majority of the Johto pokemon got a lot of redemption in AG and DP. Some of these pokemon were only seen in filler episodes throughout Johto (i.e. Gligar, Ursaring), but it was nice to see that many of them were later obtained by main characters, rivals, or even used by COTDs for more relevant purposes (battles, contests).

Its true that it hasn't changed. But it bugs me, Johto should have been written the way Kanto was. I liked some of the improvements in Johto like some of the funny Wobbufett fillers and Ash winning Gym battles correctly....but what the hell happened, honestly?

The ONLY reason I watched all of Johto in its original run is I was somewhere around 12 years old at the time and I just watched every new episode of Pokemon there was each Saturday morning. I knew what I was watching was worse than Kanto, but I just watched it all because its not like I had anything better to do at the time.

The funniest part of it all is it seems like the writers placed the blame on the original trio for what Johto did wrong, hence why it was permanantly split up afterwards and Misty never did return to the series even after an entire decade.

Its true that it hasn't changed. But it bugs me, Johto should have been written the way Kanto was. I liked some of the improvements in Johto like some of the funny Wobbufett fillers and Ash winning Gym battles correctly....but what the hell happened, honestly?

In Johto quality did decreased in some segments like episodes becoming too formulatic and repetitive(applied to excessive use of fillers).Ash rivals and pokemon being treated badly,plots butchered,Misty and Brock not getting enough focus and Rocket trio started to feel stale going nowhere.

However there were also some things done right liking several things about this saga.For start Ash,Misty and Brock still actually felt like genuine group of friends having good chemistry and several memorable moments.
Battles were a lot better compared to first 2 seasons,Ash sidekicks actually battled more receiving some notable focus and growth,we got several great arcs and memorable gym leaders,return from older characters(like Todd,Duplica or Aya) and there are many episodes from this region i always like to go back and watch being well written and enjoyable.

The funniest part of it all is it seems like the writers placed the blame on the original trio for what Johto did wrong, hence why it was permanantly split up afterwards and Misty never did return to the series even after an entire decade.

Johto didnt failed because of original trio.In fact i remember most people being excited when thy hard Brock is coming back after break during OI welcoming Ash,Misty and Brock as group again.

Reason why Johto failed was because of poor writing with plots being wasted(most famous being GS ball),too many fillers being included which didnt advanced main character stories in any way following same repetitive formula of helping COTD about their problems,Johto pokemon being often overshadowed by Kanto ones not being advertized properly along with main cast suffering from lack of focus and development.

Afterwards when ratings started to drop mr.Shudo decided to replace Misty due to not caring for character advocating for TR stay which came in consideration of getting axe instead.According to mr.Shudo blogs it seems how not all writers shared same view about this as he did and increase of quality in Master Quest starting to fix mistakes being done with characters shows how they cared more for this cast than he did.Even if some were in favor of keeping them its not like they could do anything not having main word in it.

Likewise fan disappointment when Misty was replaced and demand for return proved further how fandom had no problems with this group.

Reason why first cast was never assembled again(same goes for AG group) is solely because writers rather want to focus on new characters partially because of advertizing and partially to provide new piece of eye candy within show unfortunately(according to mr.Hidaka and interview).Thats whole reason behind it really,there are no conspiracy theories.

Last edited:
I want Hilbert to show up...

Never gonna happen. He'll get two seconds of screentime in a movie intro MAYBE, but you'll never see him otherwise. He's a player character, though, so he has no real personality (if we are indeed counting PokeSpe Black separately). He really wouldn't add anything to the show.

But anyway, I have a big issue with Ash remaining 10 years old. He should've aged, and if not, he should've been replaced. The way he's been treated in BW is the biggest evidence (to me) that Ash's time in the spotlight has faded away. DP would've been a great place to end Ash's journey, since he was actually quite intelligent in that series, and at his best.

It is too childish, and their enemies are too easy to defeat.There is no real excitement.

I still think that Ash should've won the Johto League with that being the anime end.

They should turn Pokémon Adventures into an anime :~

The ONLY reason I watched all of Johto in its original run is I was somewhere around 12 years old at the time and I just watched every new episode of Pokemon there was each Saturday morning. I knew what I was watching was worse than Kanto, but I just watched it all because its not like I had anything better to do at the time.

Yeah, I know. It's hard to keep interest in a series that literally ran a year and a half of filler episodes.

I never liked the majority of the Johto fillers, either. I found the ones that aired in the beginning of Johto and the ones that aired near the end of Johto to be interesting, but the episodes in the middle of the series (from the third to the fifth badges) were the most difficult to watch.

At least the fillers that aired in those parts of Johto had interesting/unique COTDs and pokemon to work with. The "middle" Johto episodes focused on nearly the same type of plotline, which often involved TRio stealing a COTD's pokemon.

I biggest complaint is that Writer try to make Ash too inferior
Even after he achieve so many thing, Writer always him like a weak nobody trainer & like's to use him as a punching bag .
And he always try to keep Ash's inferiority to someone.
Like In AG, Writer Keep Inferiority to Drew. In the whole Series Writer show Drew as a superior figure then Ash.
I mean, It's true that Drew isn't Ash's Rival & he coordinator but it doesn't mean it's ok for Ash to be inferior to him just because Drew isn't a Gym Challenger like Ash.
Ya, its true that Ash's should meddle with other people rival but if this is right then Writer shouldn't made a episode where Ash get his butt kick by Drew in the first place
I don't care what lovestory Drew & May has but it does mean that writer has to show Ash inferior to him for the sake of their love. It's not a ''Shoujo Anime''
Writer had a lot chance to give a rematch between Ash & Drew but he didn't even try
Instate they use Ash as a Punching bag to show Zoey & Keeny power
And now A rocky (Trip) teaching Ash how to battle !
Ash's character need to be funny but it doesn't mean he have to be inferior at the large part of series to be funny
Writer should read this Pokemon manga to learn how to make a main character both funny & superior
By the way, I'm not talking about Pokemon Adventure
Plus there is no Inner circle of friend or a inner circle of rival and a trio isn't really make up for this
Plus there no romance between main character.
Not to mention this character seem to formal.
Ash's interaction with other people & Pokemon doesn't seem as heartwarming as Shugo chara.
But its because writer show Ash's inferiority too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too much emphasis on Ash and his hos being built up and not winning the leagues or festivals, it's fucking ridiculous. Plus Ash is hogging all the spotlight and I think Paul was dignified in every single insult he ever made about him. Max was the only character I actually liked from the main cast, and I really want him to be the star of the show, and not that sad excuse of a Pokemon Trainer!

Too much emphasis on Ash and his hos being built up and not winning the leagues or festivals, it's fucking ridiculous. Plus Ash is hogging all the spotlight and I think Paul was dignified in every single insult he ever made about him. Max was the only character I actually liked from the main cast, and I really want him to be the star of the show, and not that sad excuse of a Pokemon Trainer!
You cant really be mad at the fact of Ashs' battle he had at the end of the Sinnoh saga.that battle kinda puts you on edge it showed why people complain about legends and through out all the years of the Pokemon Anime Ash came in 2nd.
But....
besides that at times and I dont think I'm the only one but I hate the fact that some episode are sooooooo predictable with their plot sequence the last episode to really surprise was the Purrlion episode<SPOILER ALERT> when we all found out it was a boy I watched every piece of anime since we all seen Ho-oh and that has probably made me laugh the most

Last edited:
Um, another complaint is that with Black & White being kinda goofy, I would really hope that when Team Plasma DOES show up, that it will actually be done seriously:-|. I don't want Team Plasma to take Team Rocket's past roles or anything stupid like that. I doubt they would, but still:dodgy:. Oh, and I don't want them to tone down N's back-story to make it "child friendly", cause if they did, that just wouldn't make any sense. Cause the games are meant for all ages, so if the anime did, I would be like, "What. The. Hell."..... And get really mad and maybe turn into the hulk. Actually I'd just cry:bawl:.

Um, another complaint is that with Black & White being kinda goofy, I would really hope that when Team Plasma DOES show up, that it will actually be done seriously:-|. I don't want Team Plasma to take Team Rocket's past roles or anything stupid like that. I doubt they would, but still:dodgy:. Oh, and I don't want them to tone down N's back-story to make it "child friendly", cause if they did, that just wouldn't make any sense. Cause the games are meant for all ages, so if the anime did, I would be like, "What. The. Hell."..... And get really mad and maybe turn into the hulk. Actually I'd just cry:bawl:.

...but even though the games were for everyone, there were still parts of N's backstory that were hard for children to understand. How many kids would grasp the emotional atmosphere in N's playroom in N's castle? While pokemon is for everyone, N was probably one of the reasons the games appealed to older people, IMO.

I'm not sure how they'd portray N in the series. The writers sometimes changed some of the game character personalities to the complete opposite. Like, remember Lucy from Battle Frontier? She's originally haughty and high-and-mighty and queenly in the games, but in the anime... they changed her so much that I hated the writers. Seriously, why did they make her like Brock? No, nothing's wrong with that, but still - she was too different from the games. And that's one of my biggest complaints.

What if they make N different? All we got to see was a few grunts in Team Plasma, and we know nothing about the higher-ups. The writers could just switch N from an idealist to a selfish puppet prince working for Ghetsis. Who knows. I won't really like that, and I'm really really hoping that if the writers are planning to bring N in the show, they'd better be good and keep the game factors..

Pikachu's power issue has been a constant issue through the whole series. Basically, if it exists, even as a Ground-type, it can be hit with one Thunderbolt and knocked out in one hit. I remember there was one episodes where Pikachu freaking ELECTROCUTED a Marowak and WON with ONE HIT. And then, when Ash arrives to a new region, Pikachu is back to being weak again. What?

Also, Ash's pointless goal in becoming a Pokemon Master. He should just let that dream end, he's only caught about 1/10th of the Pokedex, and he's never won a championship league... ever.

Another problem I have, but it also pertains to most anime I watch, is that in order to waste time in the show, they constantly have slow face shots of everyone explaining every little detail about info we probably already know or probably don't care about. It gets pretty annoying after awhile.

I guess it's Ash's age that is my complaint. They didn't have to say anything about how old Ash was. All they had to do was say that Ash was going a little trip with Professor Oak in a place called Unova and be done with it.

Last edited:
Best Wishes. Simply put that's all I really know I can complain about. I just stopped watching the anime. There hasn't been anything that's made me want to watch it. I can't even name what it is which is what bothers me. I don't really care about any of Ash's pokemon, other that Palpitoad who gets no screen time. Nothing makes me want to watch. It's not that I absolutely loved Brock and can't enjoy it now that he's gone. I doubt it's the new aesthetic of the show. I may just care less about the new pokemon in general. It's been nearly a year and I still can't name all the english names of the new pokemon. It's just frustrating I can't put my finger on why exactly I don't care as much about the series anymore.

I think part of it is the dub. I used to enjoy just sort of casually watching the dub whenever it was on, but now I can't even do that and enjoy it. I feel like the script writing is absolutely terrible, since any time I watch it I just feel it's painful. I get no enjoyment out of even catching episodes I haven't watched since I don't follow it online much anymore.

The fillers being stupid. Personally, I watch BW from time to time, and the only episodes I enjoy are when Ash and the group interact with important canon game characters, like the Subway Masters and Elesa (Personally, they had the best episodes I had ever seen)

My biggest complaint is the hype for anti-climax's.

The Magma/Aqua arc, Ash winning the Sinnoh league, Team Plasma...it all gets hyped up as if its something special but then it either never happens or turns out flat in the end.

Ash should be about 14-15 by now and they should run a separate show for little kids where the protagonist stays young forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom