• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RNG "abuse": Do YOU consider it to be legit?

Do YOU consider RNG to be legit?

• Yes

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 37.2%

• Total voters
Before you read my response, I would like to say that I respect everyone's opinion 100%, and I know that RNG'ing isn't for everyone.

To everyone who says "RNG'ing is unfair."
-That statement could not be any more untrue. Anyone can learn to RNG. The only things you need are a computer, an Internet connection, and a DS System with a Pokemon game. That's it. There is no 'elite group' or anything like that.

But with that logic, using steroids should be acceptable, because anyone can use them. Who cares if other people have spent their lives training for a sports event? I'll just take enhancers and beat them, without putting in as much effort.

To everyone who says "It takes the fun out of it" or "You lose that sense of accomplishment".
-....You're kidding me, right? Not only do I consider RNG'ing fun, but the sense of accomplishment after each successful one is huge. And how would you know anyways?! If you haven't tried RNG'ing, you can't post and say that there is no personal connection, or fun, or sense of accomplishment, or anything. You're posting off-topic. This thread is about whether or not you consider it legitimate (which I absolutely do), not to complain that you "can't" do it when the truth is you can't be bothered to learn how (or you believe it truly is cheating, which I respect). There is a distinct difference between actually thinking it's cheating and just thinking it's unfair. One can be disputed, the other certainly cannot.

Personally, I enjoy looking for a good natured Pokémon, spending the time levelling it up, and then when it all pays off, and the Pokémon evolves, I feel accomplished with myself. If you want to just generate your Pokémon, wouldn't it be better to use Pokémon Online or something?

But with that logic, using steroids should be acceptable, because anyone can use them. Who cares if other people have spent their lives training for a sports event? I'll just take enhancers and beat them, without putting in as much effort.

Personally, I enjoy looking for a good natured Pokémon, spending the time levelling it up, and then when it all pays off, and the Pokémon evolves, I feel accomplished with myself. If you want to just generate your Pokémon, wouldn't it be better to use Pokémon Online or something?

Steroids are dangerous and illegal.

Do you truly consider RNG'ing as a method to 'generate' Pokemon? I still have to hatch the egg, or catch it in a Pokeball, and then train it. It doesn't magically appear in my PC/party at level 100 perfectly EV trained.

Steroids are dangerous and illegal.

Right.. But my point still stands.

Do you truly consider RNG'ing as a method to 'generate' Pokemon? I still have to hatch the egg, or catch it in a Pokeball, and then train it. It doesn't magically appear in my PC/party at level 100 perfectly EV trained.

No, but you are still generating the Pokémon you want. The same with shinies, they've become worthless now, because anyone can RNG for them.

Yes, RNG is legit.

It isn't the 'easy way out' that many see it as. It's difficult to learn, especially in Gen V. Plus, finding the IV spread you want can take hours...not as easy as many non-RNGers see it.

Uh, no. that's a terrible metaphor and completely innacurate. For a better sports metaphor to relate to RNGing look to Sabermetrics, which, obviously, is completely legal.

RNGing is manipulating the odds to get the perfect pokemon. Just because everyone isn't willing to do the math doesn't make it cheating.

how you play pokemon =/= how everyone else plays pokemon. Some people play for "the experience", others play for the strategy. neither makes the other invalid.

I personally dont consider it hacking. I agree some people wish to take the time and raise their pokemon, and breed for the perfect nature and IVs, but RNG abuse isnt exactly easy. Ive tried to learn it, and failed to really understand and learn exactly how its done, it seem like too much work for me and Im not even competitive. Everyone can play the game their own way. I say if another person wishes to do this, go ahead. Its your game, and Im not gonna tell you what to do.

It is a completely legit way, IMO. I don't do such, but that's more of me being lazy.

It's kinda like saying that being able to drive a car. You could do it, but you don't have to. Most likely it'll be hugely faster to do so though.
...okay, that was a terrible metaphor.

Anyways, many, many games played on competitive field (Wether for speed, wins or whatever), include a huge array of tricks not quite intended to use, luck abuse (Like here, it's essentially luck abuse), or glitches. None of them is exactly cheating (Unless otherwise stated), as they are still part of the game. Actual cheating is not part of the game, as it requires extrenal source to directly change things within the game.

For example, speedruns very, very often abuse luck, and glitches to a ridiculous extent.

If those Pokémon are used in competitive battle against other players then, yes, I consider it to be cheating. But I don't play competitively and I don't care what others choose to do with their games.

You do realise that the majority of competitive players (those who use Wi-Fi and/or participate in some sort of official tournament) use RNGed Pokémon? Of course they're going to assume their opponent is doing the same, I certainly would.

Onto the topic: I see even less of a grey area here than in AR hacking - at least that one I can understand, since you are using an outside device to modify the game directly, although my personal opinion is "live and let live, and if you're trading/battling/whatever with someone else, have the courtesy to tell them about the situation". Literally everything achieved through RNG manipulation can also be achieved through pure dumb luck, this just takes away the astronomical luck factor. Of course, people are less likely to criticise you if the latter situation occured, because, well, you got lucky. I'm honestly quite surprised that the poll results are as close as they are.

Last edited:
Before you read my response, I would like to say that I respect everyone's opinion 100%, and I know that RNG'ing isn't for everyone.

To everyone who says "RNG'ing is unfair."
-That statement could not be any more untrue. Anyone can learn to RNG. The only things you need are a computer, an Internet connection, and a DS System with a Pokemon game. That's it. There is no 'elite group' or anything like that.

To everyone who says "It takes the fun out of it" or "You lose that sense of accomplishment".
-....You're kidding me, right? Not only do I consider RNG'ing fun, but the sense of accomplishment after each successful one is huge. And how would you know anyways?! If you haven't tried RNG'ing, you can't post and say that there is no personal connection, or fun, or sense of accomplishment, or anything. You're posting off-topic. This thread is about whether or not you consider it legitimate (which I absolutely do), not to complain that you "can't" do it when the truth is you can't be bothered to learn how (or you believe it truly is cheating, which I respect). There is a distinct difference between actually thinking it's cheating and just thinking it's unfair. One can be disputed, the other certainly cannot.

This! Definitely!

I would also like to add that I do not see what is so special about spending hours and hours on a video game trying to hatch good natured/IVed pokes. I remember before I discovered RNG I loathed trying to hatch good-natured pokemon, much less trying to get at least one IV at 31. I guess if you feel more accomplished that way, then good for you! I didn't feel like I did anything except waste a lot of time. I cannot imagine what I could have done with the time that I lost. :/ RNG shinies are not worthless because if I find a random shiny in the wild, I will still gleam with joy! Shows the odds are with me.

One argument that I hear sometimes is if you want fast results, you are better off using an action replay. I don't agree. I have nothing against people who use an action replay because it is their game and they can do whatever they want with it, but unlike RNG abuse, it is very hard to hack a "legit" pokemon because of the trash bytes. Therefore, your pokemon may look legit, but it will still come out as illegal if you are not careful. With RNG, we are strictly working with the game and not overriding any data.

In short, yes, I think it is legit. :p

it is legit because it is done in game. using an external source to obtain the pokemon is unlegit, but because you catch, hatch whatever as part of the game, it's legit.

This reminds me of that difference between legal and legit....

In my opinion, to make a long story short: just because something is technically allowed doesn't make it right. It's an exploit of loopholes that were never meant to be known, it's unfair to other players who take the time to do things properly and it's creating an even greater fandumb within the competitive battling community.

I don't think anything's being achieved with discussions like this. Everyone just recycles the same old arguments again and again >_>

But anyway, I consider it legit, because the game is left as is, and you, as an intelligent human, are doing as intelligent humans do- they learn the mechanics of things and use them to their advantage. To RNG is time consuming and you may succeed only once every ten tries, if that. I consider myself intelligent, and I enjoy learning the mechanics of this game and using them to my advantage. If other people would like to do things the hard way- hey, no issue of mine. I don't mind stating that my Pokemon are RNG'd when seeking a battle or trading. There will always be people who will battle and trade me, even if you don't want to.

For me...right now, I can say RNG abuse is okay.
I mean, well, it's just simply using the RNG of the game against it (from random to not random, they make you think it's random, but it's not) to get Shiny/Flawless/Shiny Flawless Pokemon.
And if a rule says something about using an external device to modify Pokemon, get Pokemon, etc...well, I'd say that RNG Reporter (the app used to RNG abuse) won't be one of the external devices, due to it not modifying the Pokemon in the game and it does not get a Pokemon like magic, it has to go through some hard steps before it can work. And it doesn't connect to the game too.

Y'know, I'm on the fence about this one.

In technicality, it's not hacking. You're using the mechanics of the game, you're not altering the code... So it's not hacking technically.

But otherwise? I don't know. One on hand, the technicality of it is fine, but it's not the intention of the coders. They don't want you to take advantage of that, that wasn't their intention. So I don't know.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom