• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Anime you want remakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
As you would know, Japan usually have animes all concluded in their first try.

But in some cases, they remake a series.

The best known anime for being remade is probably FullMetal Alchemist : Brotherhood.

What animes do you want a remake for? I'm sure there are animes that were good, but had a few issues.

For me, I would remake Kuroshitsuji, and have it follow more of the manga storyline.

And please do not include pokemon in here.

I'd like a remake of .Hack//Signs. The story is good, but its starting to look old, and more cohesiveness to the story would be nice.

I'd also like a remake of Azumanga Daioh, because I can't get enough of the series.

Umineko Naku No Koro Ni, only one I can think of at the moment. That being said, while I did actually LIKE the anime, it ended on a terrible note for an anime that is probably never going to get a new season.

But yeah, I don't have many animes that I want necessarily remade, but I do have loads that need sequals/continuations.

Evangelion! Sure, I know we got Rebuild, but the more Eva the better. :)

@Ino-Chan: I personally don't understand why anyone would want to remake the .hack//SIGN series as far as looks go. IMO, it was fine just the way it was...for the time I guess. I'm not big on animation I guess, but I do agree somewhat with the story thing.

Going back on-topic, I would want to remake series that strayed in its original run or was left unfinished or on a cliffhanger because of the manga series they're based off themselves.

Three series that come to mind for me are Sailor Moon, Fruits Basket, and Hunter x Hunter.

I would want to redo Sailor Moon so that it'd be closer to its manga counterpart, sorta like what Dragon Ball Kai did for Dragon Ball Z. I like both the Sailor Moon manga and anime, but I prefer the manga over the anime, as well as some of the characters' portrayals.

I would want to redo Fruits Basket because the anime was left unfinished. The manga had 23 volumes; the anime ended after like the first three or four volumes. There's still a lot of story to explore, even if the manga wasn't that far ahead when the anime did end.

Just like with Fruits Basket (and the anime has been airing again over in Japan), Hunter x Hunter had the same problem. The only difference is that this series ended on a cliffhanger which entered the next arc in the manga (Chimera Ant). The manga goes on beyond that point. It would be nice to see what happens beyond the Greed Island stuff and see if Gon meets his father after winning the game, as that's where it stops. Of course if you read the manga, you know, but for those who don't/didn't, it'd be nice.

I'm sure there are some more I wouldn't mind seeing a remade version of, but these three are the ones that stand out the most for me.

Last edited:
The best known anime for being remade is probably FullMetal Alchemist : Brotherhood.
Actually, FMAB wasn't a remake of the 2003 series; they were on different storylines.
On that note, I would like to see a remake of FMA; I didn't like the ending at all.

Special A, Kuroshitsuji, H.O.T.D, Ao No Exorcist, REBORN in some chapters..,

Fruits Basket. The manga is SOOO great and then.... When I watched the anime I was disappointed. Here are some things that went wrong with it:

1. The English dub could have been better. Some of the voices were weak. Case in point, Tohru and Kyo. Tohru's voice made her very annoying and it made me turn against her. I like her in the manga, not the anime. Kyo's voice is just..... Annoying. I like the guy who does his voice cuz he usually does a really good job in things(like Russia in Hetalia Axis Powers). But not for Kyo. Granted, I'm not a big Kyo fan in the first place, but this made it worse.

2. Akito.
First, why did they have to make up this sob story for Akito? Since when was he going to die soon? That ruins EVERYTHING!!! This is kind of a spoiler alert, so for those of you who haven't read this far, don't read what I'm about to say. Akito going to die soon just messes up Kyo's confinement and the bet he made with Akito. It also messes up her plan, since the plan is to isolate all the Juunishi and make them stay on the "inside". Which wouldn't happen if Akito is just going to die soon anyway. Also, why make that up in the first place? To make us feel BAD for Akito? I'm sorry, but he would kind of deserve it. Ever see Yuki's back story? And who was Tohru kidding? I mean, I know she has the heart of a saint, but still. "Everyone will be sad when you die, Akito...".... Lay off the whole "no one can do any wrong" Tohru. But like I said, she doesn't bother me in the manga. And one more thing about Akito... I guess this was done for times sake, but why didn't they just say that Akito was actually a girl? I kind of like that he was just a boy in the anime... But if I was Natsuki Takaya, that would tick me off.

3. We never get to see Isuzu or Kureno. We never see Arisa's or Saki's back stories. I think Isuzu is very important plot wise and for Haru. Haru's pretty much got nothing going on for him in the anime besides when he first got shown. Kureno is also important. I think he should be there, since I like him. Well, not JUST because I like him, but because he is also important for the plot. Since those two aren't there, the people who just watched the anime will just assume that the horse and the rooster just aren't in the zodiac in Fruits Basket. Arisa's back story is kind of dumb in my opinion, but I think it is important. Otherwise we'll just think she's a "yankee" for no reason. Saki's back story I think is much more important than Arisa's. I think she should've gotten an episode about that.

3. The soundtrack could've been better. They reuse the same songs OVER AND OVER... If you showed me a scene without the audio, I could guess what song would be playing. Every time Yuki and Kyo fight, they play the same song. Every time Tohru says something that is either heart warming or enlightening to one of the Juunishi, the same song plays every time. It's kind of humorous to be honest.

4. Kagura is pointless in the anime. All she does is come for Kyo then leave in the episode she appears in or in the next episode. And why even bother bringing up Kyo's past if she's not going to have a part in it!? Kagura's whole thing with Kyo is interesting and I don't think it should have been looked over like that. Kagura hardly even gets a part in the anime at all! I can only think of three times in the whole anime that she showed up. Which is disappointing since I like her.

5. The 25th episode ruins a lot. First off, it was incredibly boring. And the rain was so loud that when they finally started to talk, you couldn't even hear them. Everyone was terribly out of character, especially Tohru and Shigure. Even Akito. Tohru wasn't acting at all like she usually does. In the manga, there was no doubt in her mind. She was going to stay with Kyo, even though she was afraid. In the anime, she was all whiny and saying that she couldn't stay with them anymore. Not a great person are you, Tohru? Not at all like you are in the manga. And, she had the longest puking scene ever. Not graphic, of course, but it still took forever. Shigure wouldn't be groveling to Tohru and pleading her to stay in the manga. That was not Shigure. He even looked like he cared!!! Shocker! Akito was totally pointless in this episode. Why did he even bother to come out all the way to Shigure's house just to taunt Tohru. Either he'd force one of the Junnishi to come fetch her or just happen upon her because she was around one of the Juunishi. It was just pointless.

6. There's more I could say, but this is the last thing I'll say. I'm a big Yuki fan and I think they should've included more about his back story. His is the most interesting(me and my biased opinion) and they also should've shown how he began to accept his past later and move on. Show how Yuki overcomes it.

Well, that's it for now.... But I may think of more later. Let's just say that they'd have to do a remake, not a second season.

Edit: I added in spoiler tags for those who haven't read or seen the Fruits Basket series.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hopping on the Sailor Moon bandwagon here. Sure, the Sailor Moon anime is great and all, but the way it changed multiple character portrayals and story arcs perhaps warrant a remake. Also, it suffers from extremely dated/poor animation sometimes, and I would love to see it get a better animation treatment.

I forgot to mention Shin Shirayuki-hime Densetsu Pretear. I would welcome a remake of that series just so it could reflect the manga more than what it did. I've complained about Pretear before over the years. I hated the fact that some characters were overlooked some had characterization changes and some had their roles changed, like Himeno's stepmother and stepsister. The biggest offense, though, was what was done to Sasame's character.
He became a traitor to his fellow knights...in the manga, he remained loyal, despite the fact he was fighting against someone he once loved as opposed to joining her.
Fruits Basket. The manga is SOOO great and then.... When I watched the anime I was disappointed. Here are some things that went wrong with it:

1. The English dub could have been better. Some of the voices were weak. Case in point, Tohru and Kyo. Tohru's voice made her very annoying and it made me turn against her. I like her in the manga, not the anime. Kyo's voice is just..... Annoying. I like the guy who does his voice cuz he usually does a really good job in things(like Russia in Hetalia Axis Powers). But not for Kyo. Granted, I'm not a big Kyo fan in the first place, but this made it worse.

2. Akito.
First, why did they have to make up this sob story for Akito? Since when was he going to die soon? That ruins EVERYTHING!!! This is kind of a spoiler alert, so for those of you who haven't read this far, don't read what I'm about to say. Akito going to die soon just messes up Kyo's confinement and the bet he made with Akito. It also messes up her plan, since the plan is to isolate all the Juunishi and make them stay on the "inside". Which wouldn't happen if Akito is just going to die soon anyway. Also, why make that up in the first place? To make us feel BAD for Akito? I'm sorry, but he would kind of deserve it. Ever see Yuki's back story? And who was Tohru kidding? I mean, I know she has the heart of a saint, but still. "Everyone will be sad when you die, Akito...".... Lay off the whole "no one can do any wrong" Tohru. But like I said, she doesn't bother me in the manga. And one more thing about Akito... I guess this was done for times sake, but why didn't they just say that Akito was actually a girl? I kind of like that he was just a boy in the anime... But if I was Natsuki Takaya, that would tick me off.

3. We never get to see Isuzu or Kureno. We never see Arisa's or Saki's back stories. I think Isuzu is very important plot wise and for Haru. Haru's pretty much got nothing going on for him in the anime besides when he first got shown. Kureno is also important. I think he should be there, since I like him. Well, not JUST because I like him, but because he is also important for the plot. Since those two aren't there, the people who just watched the anime will just assume that the horse and the rooster just aren't in the zodiac in Fruits Basket. Arisa's back story is kind of dumb in my opinion, but I think it is important. Otherwise we'll just think she's a "yankee" for no reason. Saki's back story I think is much more important than Arisa's. I think she should've gotten an episode about that.

3. The soundtrack could've been better. They reuse the same songs OVER AND OVER... If you showed me a scene without the audio, I could guess what song would be playing. Every time Yuki and Kyo fight, they play the same song. Every time Tohru says something that is either heart warming or enlightening to one of the Juunishi, the same song plays every time. It's kind of humorous to be honest.

4. Kagura is pointless in the anime. All she does is come for Kyo then leave in the episode she appears in or in the next episode. And why even bother bringing up Kyo's past if she's not going to have a part in it!? Kagura's whole thing with Kyo is interesting and I don't think it should have been looked over like that. Kagura hardly even gets a part in the anime at all! I can only think of three times in the whole anime that she showed up. Which is disappointing since I like her.

5. The 25th episode ruins a lot. First off, it was incredibly boring. And the rain was so loud that when they finally started to talk, you couldn't even hear them. Everyone was terribly out of character, especially Tohru and Shigure. Even Akito. Tohru wasn't acting at all like she usually does. In the manga, there was no doubt in her mind. She was going to stay with Kyo, even though she was afraid. In the anime, she was all whiny and saying that she couldn't stay with them anymore. Not a great person are you, Tohru? Not at all like you are in the manga. And, she had the longest puking scene ever. Not graphic, of course, but it still took forever. Shigure wouldn't be groveling to Tohru and pleading her to stay in the manga. That was not Shigure. He even looked like he cared!!! Shocker! Akito was totally pointless in this episode. Why did he even bother to come out all the way to Shigure's house just to taunt Tohru. Either he'd force one of the Junnishi to come fetch her or just happen upon her because she was around one of the Juunishi. It was just pointless.

6. There's more I could say, but this is the last thing I'll say. I'm a big Yuki fan and I think they should've included more about his back story. His is the most interesting(me and my biased opinion) and they also should've shown how he began to accept his past later and move on. Show how Yuki overcomes it.

Well, that's it for now.... But I may think of more later. Let's just say that they'd have to do a remake, not a second season.
I've never seen the dub of it and didn't even know there was one until way after the fact, so I've never found Tohru's voice annoying and like it for the original, but as for the other stuff you mentioned (like with Akito and no Kureno, etc.), you have to take into consideration that the manga itself wasn't too far along. The latest release for the year it ended would've been about volume 7, probably a bit before that since the series ended in December 2001 and started July 2001. Book 7 came out August 2001. So yeah. They only could do one main storyline for it. Oh, and Akito's
gender wasn't revealed until way after that in the manga. They can't say he's a girl if the source material hadn't even revealed it yet
. I sometimes feel that people forget that most of these anime series are based on their manga series and are being animated at the same time that manga chapters/books are being put out. This is the reason why Dragon Ball Z "suffered". They had to add in stuff, extend battles, etc., because they had to make sure the manga stayed ahead of the animated series. Same goes for Sailor Moon. They had extra monsters to fight because of the manga having to stay ahead of them (and for Takeuchi to come up with something for Sailor Moon R since she originally wanted to end it after the first series). So yeah...
I'm hopping on the Sailor Moon bandwagon here. Sure, the Sailor Moon anime is great and all, but the way it changed multiple character portrayals and story arcs perhaps warrant a remake. Also, it suffers from extremely dated/poor animation sometimes, and I would love to see it get a better animation treatment.
I personally like the animation just the way it is. Gives me a feeling of nostalgia, especially given the time I originally watched it and how it was still "new" at the time. I would want it remade to reflect the manga more, but as far as animation goes, I have no problem with it, but if they did redo any older series, it's a given that the animation would get updated to probably all that sparkly Precure junk.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention Shin Shirayuki-hime Densetsu Pretear. I would welcome a remake of that series just so it could reflect the manga more than what it did. I've complained about Pretear before over the years. I hated the fact that some characters were overlooked some had characterization changes and some had their roles changed, like Himeno's stepmother and stepsister. The biggest offense, though, was what was done to Sasame's character.
He became a traitor to his fellow knights...in the manga, he remained loyal, despite the fact he was fighting against someone he once loved as opposed to joining her.
I've never seen the dub of it and didn't even know there was one until way after the fact, so I've never found Tohru's voice annoying and like it for the original, but as for the other stuff you mentioned (like with Akito and no Kureno, etc.), you have to take into consideration that the manga itself wasn't too far along. The latest release for the year it ended would've been about volume 7, probably a bit before that since the series ended in December 2001 and started July 2001. Book 7 came out August 2001. So yeah. They only could do one main storyline for it. Oh, and Akito's
gender wasn't revealed until way after that in the manga. They can't say he's a girl if the source material hadn't even revealed it yet
. I sometimes feel that people forget that most of these anime series are based on their manga series and are being animated at the same time that manga chapters/books are being put out. This is the reason why Dragon Ball Z "suffered". They had to add in stuff, extend battles, etc., because they had to make sure the manga stayed ahead of the animated series. Same goes for Sailor Moon. They had extra monsters to fight because of the manga having to stay ahead of them (and for Takeuchi to come up with something for Sailor Moon R since she originally wanted to end it after the first series). So yeah...
I personally like the animation just the way it is. Gives me a feeling of nostalgia, especially given the time I originally watched it and how it was still "new" at the time. I would want it remade to reflect the manga more, but as far as animation goes, I have no problem with it, but if they did redo any older series, it's a given that the animation would get updated to probably all that sparkly Precure junk.

About the dub, if you've never seen it, then you wouldn't know. To be honest, I've never heard the Japanese. It's most probably better. I just don't think Tohru's voice in English did her any favors. She is likeable in the manga, but the anime just ruins her for me. Sometimes, it almost seems like it makes fun of her character.

If they didn't know about any of the events to come, then they either should have waited for the manga to be finished or just take breaks in between. I'm not saying to add stupid filler, but just wait a while. If you're a big fan like I am, then you would wait so you could see the awesome stuff that happens in the manga happen in the anime. I mean, I could understand if they left out unimportant things, but they left out really important stuff. And most of it seemed rushed to me. I would just be much happier if they released a remake. But I have also wondered this.... Why in the anime do they change Tohru's eye color? In the anime her eyes are blue, but in the manga her eyes are brown. It's just strange to me that they would change that.

About the dub, if you've never seen it, then you wouldn't know. To be honest, I've never heard the Japanese. It's most probably better. I just don't think Tohru's voice in English did her any favors. She is likeable in the manga, but the anime just ruins her for me. Sometimes, it almost seems like it makes fun of her character.
The anime was still new in Japan at the time I saw it...so yeah, that's why I've never seen a dub of it. Getting down to it, I don't see how most people see dubs of shows. I wouldn't know where to look for them.
If they didn't know about any of the events to come, then they either should have waited for the manga to be finished or just take breaks in between. I'm not saying to add stupid filler, but just wait a while. If you're a big fan like I am, then you would wait so you could see the awesome stuff that happens in the manga happen in the anime. I mean, I could understand if they left out unimportant things, but they left out really important stuff. And most of it seemed rushed to me. I would just be much happier if they released a remake. But I have also wondered this.... Why in the anime do they change Tohru's eye color? In the anime her eyes are blue, but in the manga her eyes are brown. It's just strange to me that they would change that.
I've never noticed her eye color in either. That aside, all the anime did was cover the first main storyline of the series. For all we know, they could've been contracted to do only 26 episodes and the manga series was a popular one at the time. If they would've waited for the manga to finish, they would've had to do so for six more years. They left out important stuff because it didn't exist yet. For the record, I do love the series (manga), but in all honesty, I haven't seen the actual anime series since about 2001 or 2002. I just remember the storyline the anime covered, not much other than that.

Fruits Basket isn't the only series to get this treatment. Have an animated series made for it that may have covered one storyline and then ended. Gokusen did the same thing. The anime didn't really finish up the entire series because the manga itself wasn't finished yet. That's a short series too. Only 13 episodes. At the time, the manga would've been two or three years into its manga series (it ended in 2007 and started in 2000, anime started sometime in 2004). I love this manga series, and it would've been nice to see some of the other stuff played out, but in all fairness, Gokusen also got three live-action drama series and a live-action movie. I've seen the first, but couldn't get through the other dramas much. Never seen the movie.

Another series that comes to mind is Kuroshitsuji. The first anime series followed the manga for a while, but strayed away from it after the arc with that prince from India, iirc. Manga chapters get released monthly as opposed to weekly. The manga started in 2006, anime came out sometime in 2008. For that series, they had no choice but to have their own storyline because of how slow the manga chapters are released. The fact they managed to get a season 2 was interesting enough. I guess I wouldn't mind this series getting a re-release to follow the manga more, even if I did like the characters of Alois and Claude.

Anywho, it's not too out of the ordinary for a series to get picked up during a time where the manga is really popular and adapt part of it.

Hunter x Hunter, to my knowledge, was a popular series and its anime was even left unfinished and that is a series I wouldn't mind being redone (like I said for Furuba) since it was left unfinished and didn't introduce us to newer characters more story, etc. I have no idea why the anime ended HxH where it did...but I do know that the actual manga-ka had a lot of hiatuses. That may have had something to do with it.

Oh, another series with a crazy ending...the whole Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu series in general. For Jungle Guu Final, it left off on a major cliffhanger with Weda going back to the city to face her older siblings...but to my knowledge, the manga was done by then... meh.

i would like a remake of air gear. the anime was amazing in every regard except a couple. 1. they shipped the seven mysteries of whatever the high school was named. 2. they ended right after the devils 33, and don't go further then the kyoto arc.

Rurouni Kenshin. Seeing it with stylized modern-day animation would be like a major eye orgasm. :eek:

I would love to see a remake of Uta Kata along with Houkago no Pleiades, Double-J, Kaitou Reinya, and Honto ni Atta Reibai Sensei. All of them had potential to be better than they turned out to be and some of them needed to be made by a different company who doesn't make it seem rushed.

The anime was still new in Japan at the time I saw it...so yeah, that's why I've never seen a dub of it. Getting down to it, I don't see how most people see dubs of shows. I wouldn't know where to look for them. I've never noticed her eye color in either. That aside, all the anime did was cover the first main storyline of the series. For all we know, they could've been contracted to do only 26 episodes and the manga series was a popular one at the time. If they would've waited for the manga to finish, they would've had to do so for six more years. They left out important stuff because it didn't exist yet. For the record, I do love the series (manga), but in all honesty, I haven't seen the actual anime series since about 2001 or 2002. I just remember the storyline the anime covered, not much other than that.

Fruits Basket isn't the only series to get this treatment. Have an animated series made for it that may have covered one storyline and then ended. Gokusen did the same thing. The anime didn't really finish up the entire series because the manga itself wasn't finished yet. That's a short series too. Only 13 episodes. At the time, the manga would've been two or three years into its manga series (it ended in 2007 and started in 2000, anime started sometime in 2004). I love this manga series, and it would've been nice to see some of the other stuff played out, but in all fairness, Gokusen also got three live-action drama series and a live-action movie. I've seen the first, but couldn't get through the other dramas much. Never seen the movie.

Another series that comes to mind is Kuroshitsuji. The first anime series followed the manga for a while, but strayed away from it after the arc with that prince from India, iirc. Manga chapters get released monthly as opposed to weekly. The manga started in 2006, anime came out sometime in 2008. For that series, they had no choice but to have their own storyline because of how slow the manga chapters are released. The fact they managed to get a season 2 was interesting enough. I guess I wouldn't mind this series getting a re-release to follow the manga more, even if I did like the characters of Alois and Claude.

Anywho, it's not too out of the ordinary for a series to get picked up during a time where the manga is really popular and adapt part of it.

Hunter x Hunter, to my knowledge, was a popular series and its anime was even left unfinished and that is a series I wouldn't mind being redone (like I said for Furuba) since it was left unfinished and didn't introduce us to newer characters more story, etc. I have no idea why the anime ended HxH where it did...but I do know that the actual manga-ka had a lot of hiatuses. That may have had something to do with it.

Oh, another series with a crazy ending...the whole Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu series in general. For Jungle Guu Final, it left off on a major cliffhanger with Weda going back to the city to face her older siblings...but to my knowledge, the manga was done by then... meh.

You can find dubs by searching either on Youtube(Example: Fruits Basket Episode 1 English Dub) or buy the DVD by Funimation. Like, I have the Viridian Complete set, and that has the dub and the sub.

Thanks for the explanation. I understand why they didn't include the stuff that happened in the manga, I just really wish they had cuz it's just so awesome. I still say they should just do a remake. I doubt anyone would complain.

What about a extended Angel Beats?
Like where it tells all of the SSS's stories and how they died. Because you never found out Kanade's story or how Yuri died.

What about a extended Angel Beats?
Like where it tells all of the SSS's stories and how they died. Because you never found out Kanade's story or how Yuri died.

I would love it if they extended this series, though I have to disagree on them showing how Yuri died. How it was done was perfect for the story. What I want is an episode on TK. That crazy guy had nothing told about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom