• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: Is this team good enough to beat the second gym leader?

How have you reached Lake of Rage without defeating Bugsy?

Plus, try not to double post, just edit your previous post :)

Re: Is this team good enough to beat the second gym leader?

first time or rematch? if its the first, you're ready

Re: TAKE NOTE: All in-game teams go here.

@Smeargle is better.

Your post belongs in this thread. The Battle Strategy & Tactics forum is for competitive teams, not teams for in-game use.

You also posted twice in a row without good reason. In the future, please edit your posts whenever you decide to add new information to them.

Just beat Elesa, and waiting to get the Pokemon i want before i just start training...

Servine lv 35
Overgrow
Brave
Miracle Seed
-Mega Drain
-Leech Seed
-Leaf Blade
-Tackle

Palpitoad lv 34
Hydration
Naive
Mystic Water
-Aqua Ring
-Muddy Water
-Mud Shot
-Uproar

Emolga lv 25
Static
Naughty
Macho Brace
-Spark
-Charge
-Shock Wave
-Pursuit

i just caught Emolga and Im training it up a bit, but what moves should i replace on these 3? Also, i want to catch Pawniard Golett Mienfoo and Larvesta so itll be a while... Since i have an experience share, should i catch another standby Pokemon? If so who?

You need to boost your squad because the 'mon you really want aren't available until mid to late game and Servine and Paliptoad will only get you so far no matter how over trained they are. I would go to the Desert Resort and get yourself any one of a Sigilyph, Darmanitan, Sandile or Dwebble.

I'm not sure if this is going to be of any help or not, but here goes:

I think first you should evolve your Servine. It is really close to evolution and if it evolves then you can have an easier time beating Clay. Since you can't really use the "move relearner" just yet, I would suggest keeping most of the moves you have on your pokemon.
Also, like "a0161613" said, the pokemon you want are available later in the game, but that does not mean you can't have a temporary team. You should go and try and catch a Scraggy or a Throh/Sawk and train it to be around lvl 30. One of those will be really helpful. (Scraggy can be found in route 4 and Sawk/Throh can be found on the outside of pinwheel forest) Also, since after you beat Clay, Bianca will give you HM Fly, I would suggest getting a very temporary flying type like a pidove or ducklett.

What I have found to be a very sturdy and well rounded team is this:
One fire type
One water type
One flying type
One ground or fighting (both would be great too) type
One "extra" type: Electric, Ice, or Dragon.
One or more dark type attacking moves
One or more grass type attacking moves

Since there are not many good Ice types, I would not suggest making one part of your team. What I think you should do is keep your servine, add a powerful fighting type, keep your palpitoad, try and get a good fire type (like darmitain or llitwick) and try and get a good flying type (as in one that can at least learn fly)

First, you really need to beat Clay and get the Lucky Egg. Then you can start training.
When Clay gives you the TM, Bulldoze, I would suggest using it on your Palpitoad, replacing Mud Shot.
Also, since Chargestone cave would then be available to you, you should go and catch a Tynamo or a Joltik. Emolga may have good speed, but in the long run it is really weak.

I would try and give you an example of the team I use, except I tend to only battle with my starter, so my starter becomes drastically over-leveled while the rest of my team is under-leveled. However, if you keep a very flexible and open mind towards your team pokemon-wise, the game will be very easy for you.
Like my brother, he had a crazy weak team, horribly spread out, bad type coverage, under-leveled, all of that. But he was very open to catching different pokemon and removing pokemon from his team, and he went from twist mountain to unova champion. No joke.
I must admit, Litwicks are really useful if you know how to use them. You really want to get a Chandelure as soon as possible, so I would suggest catching a litwick at celestial tower, leveling it up to around lvl 35, and then challenging the Icirrus gym with it. My brother and I did that and the litwick was a lvl 41 by the time we were done with the gym.
This may sound a little stupid, but as I said before, Fighting types are really useful, and so if you catch Cobalion a little later on, he will take you far. Not only that, but a dusk stone is in the area of where he is, and like I said, you want a Chandelure as fast as possible.

Having beat the game twice, I know that the point you are at is really quite easy. If you get some more pokemon to your team then you will be all set.

I actually had trained up a Scraggy before i fought Elesa so i could beat Burgh... Haha She's:

Scraggy lv 28
Shed Skin
Adamant
-Headbutt
-Brick Break
-Faint Attack
-Chip Away

i also have a Mincinno Watchog Audino and Panpour in the PC...

Should i just go ahead and take Emolga out of my party?

Last edited:

pardon me, but why did you train a dark/fighting type to fight a bug user? I understand that dwebble's neutral to fighting, and that scraggy is neutral to bug, but your scraggy doesn't appear to even know a move that would prove useful...

I'll be honest, I'm really confused by what you are trying to achieve with your team. The Pokemon that you pick are just baffling. I would look up type advantages and get an idea of the games basics before you waste time training some more.

I have to agree with the others, scraggy would not be a prime choice for battling burgh. A temporary darumaka would be a little smarter.

However, I would suggest leaving Emolga in your party for the time being, just until you get a better flying type. I wouldn't suggest training any of the pokemon you have in your PC, only because they are normal types (or are already a type on your team)

Your scraggy's moveset is really good for the time being, so I would most definitely keep it on your team.

Seeing how you seem a tad new to type effectiveness, I will help you by pointing out the rest of the gym leaders' weaknesses:

Clay-Ground user
Counter with Grass or Water (I would suggest Grass, only because of the numerous Palpitoads in the gym)
Use a fighting type move on his Excadrill if possible

Skyla-Flying user
There are Zebstrikas in the grass outside of Mistralon city. Catch one and use it on the gym. No training needed. Use only electric attacks.

Brycen-Ice user
In Celestial tower there are Litwicks. Try and get one to be around lvl 35 and use it for the gym. After it becomes somewhere near a lvl 41, make it a lvl 41 and go to Mistralon cave, 3F, NE corner for a Dusk stone to evolve your Litwick/Lampent. Flash, Surf, and Strength are required to access/navigate the cave, so getting a watchog in the area where you caught a zebstrika and teaching it Flash and Strength is a good idea. Strength can be found in Nimbasa city, in the far left house behind the pokecenter, from an ace trainer. To get flash, go to the most narrow street in Castelia city and a guy will stop you and give you flash. Cheren will give you Surf as you progress in the game. You might also want to catch Cobalion, so bring some extra ultraballs. Cobalion is found in 3F of Mistralon cave, NW corner. Save before talking to it.

Drayden/Iris-Dragon user
As yes, it is safe to say that this is the toughest gym, besides Lenora's. You can catch a Crimgan in or on the outside of Dragonspiral tower if you wish. However, it is good to capture a temporary Cryogonal for this battle, and make sure it is leveled up enough so that it knows Ice Beam. Cryogonals can be found at Twist Mountain, more commonly in the winter time, so changing your DS's clock to change seasons if it is not winter in your game is a good idea. The in game seasons change every month, so only change your DS's clock by month.

And then there is the E4....
You really don't have to worry about most of them, as your Chandelure should be able to take out both the Psychic and the Ghost members, as long as its level is high enough. In fact, it can probably deal some significant damage against the Fighting type one too. And the Dark user is beyond easy, send in your Scraggy/Scrafty for great results.

You should (not have to) challenge the E4 in this order:

Psychic, top east, "3rd" chamber. Use Chandelure.
I would give an in depth every character "how to beat" for this one, but she is pretty straightforward. Make sure your Chandelure knows Shadow ball and then use it against all of her pokemon. Easy peasy.

Ghost, bottom west, "1st" chamber. Use Chandelure and Servine/Serperior.
Use your Chandelure to knock out Cofrigus and the Chandelure. Use only Shadow Ball.
Use your Servine/Serperior to knock out the Golurk and Jellicent. Use only Leaf Blade and Giga Drain <-(if really needed)

Dark, top west, "2nd" chamber. Use Scraggy/Scrafty.
Again, incredibly straightforward. All of his pokemon are weak to fighting, so use Brick Break on all of them.

Fighting, bottom east, "4th" chamber. Use whole team.
He is definately the toughest, as he should be. His Throh and Conkledurr are HP and attack powerhouses, so sending out your Chandelure is optimal as Fighting and Normal types can't hit it. However, I'm pretty sure they both know Bulldoze, so be very ready. You can also send out your Servine/Serperior if you want, as Marshal's fighting pokemon don't really have much of its weaknesses. Use Leaf Blade (and Giga Drain for low health).
DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT SEND OUT SCRAFTY
Your scraggy/scrafty is WEAK to fighting types moves, so not a good idea.
Marshal's sawk has sturdy, so beware. It, along with the meinshao, are very speedy, another thing to beware.

You should be pretty set there, but I do not want to spoil the game, so I shall leave it at that.

OPTIMAL MOVESET/TEAM FOR EACH GYM LEADER/E4 MEMBER:

Clay:
Serperior:
Giga Drain (if possible)
Leaf Blade
--Any other two moves of your choice--

Skyla:
Zebstrika:
Spark
Discharge (gained while fighting the gym)
Flame Charge
Stomp
--ONLY USE SPARK AND DISCHARGE--

Brycen:
Litwik:
Flame Burst (use this to beat the gym)
--Any other three moves of your choice--

Iris/Drayden:
Druddigon (lvl 41 or higher):
Dragon Claw
--ROUGH SKIN ABILITY--

Cyogonal (40 or higher):
Ice Beam

E4 TEAM:

Serperior:
Leaf Blade
Giga Drain
Aerial Ace (for Marshal and his fighting types)
-Another move of your choice

Chandelure(lvl 50 or higher):
Flame Burst
Shadow Ball
--Any other two moves of your choice--

Scrafty:
Brick Break
--Any other three moves of your choice--

You can have any other pokemon to fill the empty three spots of your team, as you will most likely need them when challenging the champion.

RECCOMMENDED LEVELS FOR GYMS/E4:

Clay: 37+ (for Servine only)
Skyla: Zebstrika starting at lvl 29+
Brycen: Litwick starting at lvl 35+
Iris/Drayden: Cryogonal and Druddigon starting at lvl 41+ (so you have some nice speed, however Cryogonal can start at lvl 40)
E4: Scrafty, Chandelure, and Serperior: starting at lvl 50+

Read about the gym leaders' and E4s' teams here:
Clay: Clay - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
Skyla: Skyla - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
Brycen: Brycen - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
Iris/Drayden: Drayden - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia (have the same team, different genders)

E4:
Shauntal: Shauntal - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
Grimsley: Grimsley - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
Catilin: Caitlin - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
Marshal: Marshal - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Overall, the gym leaders and E4 are easy. Don't forget to pack lots of revives and super potions when battling the E4 ;)

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, please ask c:

Her moves were different; she had Payback which killed Whirlipede and hurt Leavanny...

But, now im in Chargestone Cave... My team changed big time.....

Serperior lv 40 @Shell Bell
Brave
Overgrow
-Leaf Blade
-Coil
-Mega Drain
-Leech Seed

Seismatoad lv 37 @Rocky Helmet
Naive
Poison Touch
-Acid
-Muddy Water
-Bulldoze
-Aqua Ring

Scrafty lv 39 @Lucky Egg
Adamant
Shed Skin
-Strength
-Brick Break
-Crunch
-Hi-Jump Kick

Victini lv 50 @Scope Lens
Rash
Victory Star
-V-create
-Fusion Flare
-Fusion Bolt
-Searing Shot

Tynamo lv 27 @EXPerience Share
Calm
Levitate
-Spark
-Thunder Wave
-Tackle
-Charge Beam

I have completely disregarded my other team i wanted... :p On Victini I want to keep Searing Shot but what else should i put on it?

Well you have Victini, there is no challenge in the game with that character...

Her moves were different; she had Payback which killed Whirlipede and hurt Leavanny...

But, now im in Chargestone Cave... My team changed big time.....

Serperior lv 40 @Shell Bell
Brave
Overgrow
-Leaf Blade
-Coil
-Mega Drain
-Leech Seed

Seismatoad lv 37 @Rocky Helmet
Naive
Poison Touch
-Acid
-Muddy Water
-Bulldoze
-Aqua Ring

Scrafty lv 39 @Lucky Egg
Adamant
Shed Skin
-Strength
-Brick Break
-Crunch
-Hi-Jump Kick

Victini lv 50 @Scope Lens
Rash
Victory Star
-V-create
-Fusion Flare
-Fusion Bolt
-Searing Shot

Tynamo lv 27 @EXPerience Share
Calm
Levitate
-Spark
-Thunder Wave
-Tackle
-Charge Beam

I have completely disregarded my other team i wanted... :p On Victini I want to keep Searing Shot but what else should i put on it?

Teach Serperior areial ace instead of Mega drain. It gives better coverage and works well with coil. You can also use return.

About seismitoed, I'm sceptical about aqua ring, since it is more or less a sweeper. Teach it drain punch(It learns it at some level).

Teach Scrafty rock slide. It is available in that Mistralton cave, I think. Make it forget Brick break. Make it hold an accuracy increasing item to minimize the risk of hjk missing.

Victini: I don't think fusion flare is going to be that useful. Psychic, brick break or shadow ball will do.

Tynamo: well it must evolve but a move set of coil, electric attack and 2 physical attacks will do.

I've almost completed my planned team for Black and I'm stuck on whether to go with Seismitoad or Jelicent as a water type. Without them my team is Serperior, Krookodile, Zororak, Gothitelle, Galvantula and Mandibuzz.

I am also going to breed my Gothita, and can't decide between Dark Pulse or Mirror Coat as an egg move since I can't have both (I'm quite indecisive if you hadn't guessed lol).

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Leavanny((Swarm) Leaf Blade, X-Scissor, Aerial Ace, Entrainment) , Gothitelle((Frisk) Dark Pulse, Psyshock, Brick Break, Rock Slide(it has MONSTROUS ATTACK FOR A GOTHITELLE)) , Seismatoad((Poison Touch) Surf, Earth Power, Sludge Bomb, Drain Punch) , Emboar((Blaze) Heat Crash, Hammer Arm, Wild Charge, Assurance), Cryogonal((Levitate) Blizzard, Hail, Flash Cannon, Sheer Cold), Golurk((Iron Fist) Fly, Hammer Arm, Shadow Punch, Earthquake)

That team won me the E4, N, Ghetis, and the E4 again.

i'd probably try to give your seismitoad bulldoze and venoshock, since it has poison touch. Bull doze can spread poison touch around all your enemies, and venoshock capitalizes on it's ability poisoning with bulldoze and drain punch.

Yeah, I'll think about that...I never thought about using it in double and triple battles(but you're risking your allies)I'd have to partner it with Cryogonal or Have Golurk Fly if it was in the center, then...

BY THE WAY, IT HAS MUCH HIGHER SP.ATTACK! I'D NEED A NEW POKEMON TO TEST THAT COMBO OUT...

Back
Top Bottom