• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DP and what beyond?

As much as I loved knowing about what happened to Kanto, it was not worth Johto being cut so short. It had small routes and weak traainers. The trainers were probably weakened so that you dont level up to an incredibly high level and beat Kanto with ease, eventhough people were still able to do that.

I think that yeah, the G/S/C Kanto was a little empty,but they could change that. They could make remakes and add tons of stuff. If they made remakes, I'd buy them because the 2nd generation was one of the best.I just think that the idea of going back to previous regions could have been used more. Also, they were the only games with cover-legendaries in which you could catch the cover-legendary of the other version. I think that the next games should be either G/S remakes or some gigantic game that visits all the regions and makes ALL Pokemon catchable.

The people keep saying that GSC Kanto was lousy.

I don't agree.

It was still fun to see familiar places, familar people, new designs, and to know what happened after these 3 years. It's timeline. So, if I was on Nintendo's place, I would not bring Kanto to its GRB glory. It would spoil the timeline. Maybe it's just me, but I still find GSC Kanto fun, for some reason.

They would add Sevii Islands changed after 3 years to GSC Remake. It would fill the disappointment which lessened Kanto brought us.

There are also people who believe that Johto will appear in 3rd Game. But I don't believe that. DP is said to happen in the same timeline as GSC. There is some evidence about that - Utsugi's announcement about eggs. Not a big evidence and it can be easily denied but always one. So, if they add Johto they had to include Kanto, too. If the game takes palce later, they can always find an excuse that "Route between Quartz Plateau and Tokiwa City is closed because it's being rebuilt" or something like that, but if it's in the same time, it would spoil timeline.

You can always argue that DP takes place in the same time as RGBYRSE because there is a Generation III compatibility. But Pal Park is not the same as Link Trade. In the Pokemon World Pal Park has a system that lures Pokemon from places like Kanto, Hoenn and maybe Johto (It's Pokemon World, we know how it works in real world). So, it doesn't have to take place in the same time. Even 3 years later Kanto and Hoenn STILL EXISTS.

I'd quicker believe in GSC Remake than Johto in 3rd Version. Nintendo never does THAT big changes to 3rd games.

EDIT:
I added possible titles (and cover legends) for 3rd DP Version:

Yuxie = Amber
Emurit = Amatist
Agnome = Jade, Malachite
Hederan = Obsidian or some volcanic rocks
Regigigas = ? (maybe Amber)
Giratina = Girasol Opal, Jasper
Cresceria = Amatist, Sugilite
Manaphy = Lapis Lazuli
Darkrai = Hard, hard...
Shamy = Jade
Arcæus = Quartz

Last edited:
Timeline? am I the only one who doesn't think that "timelines" are important for video games? It's all fandom wanking to me anyway. There's barely a plot to really expand upon, let alone one that needs to span 2 generations. Pokemon doesn't need a complex one anyway, it has a complex battle system as the core of it's gameplay. People play video games for gameplay, not storyline.

Honestly, I think that making GSC a direct sequel to the RBY games (and shoving RBY references down our throats) was a big mistake as well. As it started the annoying trend of going back to places we've already been to before. Plus as I stated before, many Pokemon introduced in GSC were completely overshadowed by their RBY counterparts. I think the existence of regions from past games should only show up in NPC sayings, brief cameos and other blurbs that are easily misable if you don't look at it more closely.

Maybe it's just me, but with increasing amounts of data storage available, if games were not to be 'remade' but 'redone' in the same previous continents, it might be really cool. As in, take the Kanto experience and modify it somehow fro the original. I think that's where you have the most potential for future games--in altered starts. Maybe that means starting in Cerulean and trekking to Pallet, then going around in further unconventional ways. Who knows? But I think that would be quite fresh.

The 3rd game of DP can include us going back to Johto and it can block off the route to kanto because:
DP starts when the red gyarados is seen in the lake of rage.
by the time we complete DP, the guy who is the main character in G/S/C would have finished his whole journey through kanto and johto.And when we go to the route to kanto(which will be blocked) the main character of G/S/C will come to us and battle us.After the battle he will say that the route is blocked and that kanto is a really beautiful land and all.

Really, I wouldn't like alterations in Kanto, if the game would be happening in the same time as GSC. Yeah, reopening Safari Zone after completing some event or opening the entire Kanto Radio Tower to the public would be fun. But things like "rebuilding" collapsed caves or converting Radio Tower back to ghost Tower wouldn't be fine for me. I want to see the GSC Kanto remade myself. It's just me but really, I like GSC in its current state. It's perfectly fine, my favourite Generation.

Okie, then. I'm going to say why I want GS Remake to be out:

- Game, game, of course. I want to see Johto in new graphic. I want to see all old characters, old places and old objects again.
- I want to play as CRYSTAL! She's my favourite game main character (yes, I often play as girls)
- Artworks! All old characters would be redrawn (I'm soooo long waiting to see full-body artworks of Johto Leaders, Johto E4 and other old characters). All things like old Balls, some old items and possibly old badges would be drawn, as well. Wouldn't it be amazing?
- Weren't you curious how old GSC items look like? Because I was. It would be cool to see their sprites.
- Pokegear would be added options to make it touch, like Poketch. If it had only 4 functions it wouldn't be worthy making separate screen for it, would it? So, new Pokegear cards would be added if the games are remade.
- Of course, it's more than likely that if they decide to remake old GSC, they would add some new events and places (Sevii Islands after 3 years, maybe?). I'm sure it would be fun.

I'm also very curious how the Johto would look like on DS. And I'm not only one who wants to see that. Maybe GSC Remake isn't so pointless...

The 3rd game of DP can include us going back to Johto and it can block off the route to kanto because:
DP starts when the red gyarados is seen in the lake of rage.

It most likely starts a couple months after the incident. After all, it was a documentary called "In search of the Red Gyarados" and even if it was a news broadcast, I doubt that this event is so stupendous that it would be broadcast in a region far away from Johto. It's probably just local news, not national.

It's not like your whole country would be stirred into a frenzy over an albino penguin being born at the zoo....

Someone brought up the fact that Apricorn balls arent programmed into DP's data, but when I look at Serebii's page, certain RSE itams that can be easily transfered arent in it's data as well, mainly including Glass Flutes, and Contest Scarfs you gain from the Fanclub Chairman. I've even heard posts from people who claim these items have disapeared in their games when transferring. If they didnt care about inconsistencies there, then I doubt they would care here.

Last edited:
Also, don't forget about the Time Flute in Colosseum. It was a normal non-key item, but it had no option for giving it to a pokemon. So it's very possible to have items that don't exist in DP in a compatible game.

I think the evidence that there is no need for a remake is complete bull.

There was no need for Crystal to complete the Johto pokedex (of course, there is always a third game in lines) and there was no need for Yellow. After Pokemon Colleseum and Pokemon XD, there was little need for Pokemon Emerald.

Just because there is no need for something, doesn't mean it won't be made.

There was no need for a Ocarina of time sequel, but we got Majora's mask. There is no need for a Windwaker sequel, but we're getting one. There's no need for many movies/games/books/whatever, but we still get them.

As long as their games make billions, they will keep making and selling them.

I kind of hope that the next go round, they'll have a contest for fan made pokemon to become real pokemon. I've seen quite a bit of decent fan made pokemon that would be wonderful in the real pokemon world.

If they do, they do, if they don't, they don't. I'm just saying that that is no real evidence.

Heck, they may get rid of apricots, or apricots will make dive balls and such now, who knows *shrugs*

I retract my statement on the flutes. I had transfered them, and I guess the person was just blind. The red, blue and yellow flute are in the Battle pocket despite not being mentioned as an item on SPP's page. Will try contest scarves tomorrow.

Maybe it's just me, but with increasing amounts of data storage available, if games were not to be 'remade' but 'redone' in the same previous continents, it might be really cool. As in, take the Kanto experience and modify it somehow fro the original. I think that's where you have the most potential for future games--in altered starts. Maybe that means starting in Cerulean and trekking to Pallet, then going around in further unconventional ways. Who knows? But I think that would be quite fresh.

Lol, I was getting ready to say this too! Kanto can be rebuilt, we now have the technology!

The main problem I can really remember with it is that Cinnabar blew.(pun not intended, I actually meant this literally :p) So I know that'd be the first thing to fix. They probably should add more minigame like battles to Kanto too like a Battle Tower or something (instead of in Johto like crystal, and Johto could get added contest halls also). Maybe even more minigame features would be nice, letting a partner fallow behind with effects similar to the square in DP, as with a Surfing minigame to give an Homage to Yellow, letting more than Pikachu surf too. (well, 2 other games because I think mini-games should come in 3s)

I'd also want to see the land just north of Johto and Kanto done as an extra area also. I don't know what whould be over there other than a little mini-area similar to the battle frontier and some extra towns to explore. (no gyms of course)

Of course, this is probably asking too much, though it would be more simple than a new gen because they could use the DP parts. Meh.

If they did an in-volcano area on Cinnabar instead of just a Pokémon Center, and have that be accessible after Red, they could have some more Hoenn Pokémon available without an RSE Pal Parking. Well, sorta. After all, there weren't many Fire-types. But what's to say they're all that gets to be in a volcano, anyway?

And plus, that'd not alter it too much.

That's what I've been thinking. After all, all that was on Cinnabar in RBY was the building with wild pokemon, the place where you can revive fossils, and Blaine's gym. The cave would have wild pokemon, Blaine's gym would be at Seafoam like in the originals, and either the fossils could be revived elsewhere or more likely not at all. If the GS remakes have all the things that were cut from Kanto in the originals, chances are they won't have an underground to make room for them.

Don't revive destroyed Cinnabar.

It already happened.

These all ideas could ruin GSC Kanto. It really is fine the way it is. Changes are normal. Don't forget that 3 years passed between FRLG and GSC. The time isn't reversible. It really would ruin the plot, which is SUPPOSED to be the same as GSC plot. And if Nintendo extend Kanto, it would ruin Johto. Don't forget that JOHTO is the main region in these games. So, the official remake would focus on Johto, not reversing Kanto to its old state and spoiling the plotline.

Sevii Islands would be really, really best choice.

These all ideas could ruin GSC Kanto. It really is fine the way it is. Changes are normal. Don't forget that 3 years passed between FRLG and GSC. The time isn't reversible. It really would ruin the plot, which is SUPPOSED to be the same as GSC plot. And if Nintendo extend Kanto, it would ruin Johto. Don't forget that JOHTO is the main region in these games. So, the official remake would focus on Johto, not reversing Kanto to its old state and spoiling the plotline.

Oh yeah, because Pokemon is all about it's deep plot.

Hahahahaha. I'm sorry, I couldn't say that with a straight face.

Don't forget that part of the plot is that those 3 years featured Pokemon breeding being "discovered", despite the fact it also worked 3 years earlier in Kanto and Hoenn.

*snerk* Yeah, parts of Kanto being reduced to rubble and crappy half-assed design are an essential part of Gold and Silver, and not at all a lazy, half-assed way for them to squeeze Kanto in without having to put any effort into it.

Oh yeah, because Pokemon is all about it's deep plot.

Hahahahaha. I'm sorry, I couldn't say that with a straight face.

Don't forget that part of the plot is that those 3 years featured Pokemon breeding being "discovered", despite the fact it also worked 3 years earlier in Kanto and Hoenn.

*snerk* Yeah, parts of Kanto being reduced to rubble and crappy half-assed design are an essential part of Gold and Silver, and not at all a lazy, half-assed way for them to squeeze Kanto in without having to put any effort into it.

But did FR/LG do any changes to Kanto?

Really, Am I only one who doesn't complain?

Making plotline changes, such as rebuilding destroyed town in less than one year don't make sense at any bit. They aren't necessary to do a good remake or "upgrade" to Generation IV (Breeding was neccessary to upgrade, Rebuilt Cinnabar is not).

Kanto is lessened because Nintendo wanted to focus on Johto. And they will ALSO focus on Johto in their remake, if they make one.

But did FR/LG do any changes to Kanto?

Really, Am I only one who doesn't complain?

Making plotline changes, such as rebuilding destroyed town in less than one year don't make sense at any bit. They aren't necessary to do a good remake or "upgrade" to Generation IV (Breeding was neccessary to upgrade, Rebuilt Cinnabar is not).

Kanto is lessened because Nintendo wanted to focus on Johto. And they will ALSO focus on Johto in their remake, if they make one.

I was under the impression that Kanto got butchered because they ran out of space. Whether or not that's true is another story.

I personally would like to see a GSC remake take place a brief period after the original GSC, so that things could be redone. The game should definitely be changed and expanded, but to a certain degree. As stated earlier in the thread, perhaps adding a cave to Cinnabar would be a positive change that wouldn't really impact anything. Perhaps you could run into the Safari Zone warden along the way in Johto somewhere, and he'll return to reopen the Safari Zone (with new additions) by the time you're in Kanto. Have a task in Lavendar where the ghosts have haunted the radio tower (dude, you just tore down a tower full of ghosts?) and you have to complete x task there. Stick a contest house in Vermillion (so that's what that Machoke was doing!).

Not huge changes, but small things to make the game more interesting.

Personally, I'd redo the Dex too; make it like in DP so that you have to see every Pokemon in it, etc etc before opening up the National Dex (and then you can go to Kanto). I doubt this idea will be as popular.

- Trip

I actually thought that they should have re-done the cries of 1st and 2nd gen Pokes for DP. You can really tell the difference between the older gens, especially thouse who got new evos. They went from screechy to clear.

The red, blue and yellow flute are in the Battle pocket despite not being mentioned as an item on SPP's page. Will try contest scarves tomorrow.

The scarves are in the game, by the way. They're actually obtainable in Pastoria by showing a Pokemon with maxed out Contest Stats to the dude in Pastoria City with the Pachirisu.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom