• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Ash age or not ?

Should Ash age or not ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he should really

Judging from how it took them(in the dub) one year to make it from Pallet back to Viridian, by this point, Ash should be about 14-15. Though he'd be 12-13 if the year from when he got Pikachu was in mid johto like in the 3rd movie short.

I don't want to see Ash age while he's a main character on the show. What I want to see is his saga end, and then he can cameo in the next main character's series as an older version of himself.

Otherwise, he can stay 10 (though still mature as a trainer!).

I'd like to see Ash age. But I don't feel that him aging would really add anything to him or his story, besides making him slightly more mature and slightly less kawaii desu uguu. (I would love it if the animators released concept art of an older Ash, just to see what he would look like, though.)

I'd like to see Ash age. But I don't feel that him aging would really add anything to him or his story, besides making him slightly more mature and slightly less kawaii desu uguu. (I would love it if the animators released concept art of an older Ash, just to see what he would look like, though.)

Wouldn't it force them to add to story.

everyone needs to get over themselves ash will be 10 forever plus shows like simpsons, southpark and family guy never age so move on

and the show would be less enjoyable if he was older

I'd rather have him grow up(and stay that way) than just grow older and remain the same as ever.

He should have aged a year per region. Stating he's 10 again makes no sense and just makes it seem like past sagas never happened.

1 year in real world should be equal to 1 month in the show. That's make him 11 at least.

Ageing Ash to 15 at the most wouldn't ruin his character whatsoever. It'd be the same Ash only taller.

The only reason people, myself included, want to see him aged is so we can be certain the writers actually give a damn about staying consistent about the continuity of this show.

Because no where in hell did he participate in 4 Leagues, one Battle Frontier, the Orange League Challenge and captured, trained and bonded with 30+ Pokemon in less than a year.

Not even the "a year is longer in the Pokemon Animeverse than in our world" theory is that feasible anymore...

everyone needs to get over themselves ash will be 10 forever plus shows like simpsons, southpark and family guy never age so move on

and the show would be less enjoyable if he was older

Those are just cartoons. No one cares about them. Because if it is not anime, why bother with anyone's age? Besides, in a Spongebob episode, Spongebob's grandmother was having a birthday but claimed she turned "even older.", instead of revealing her actual age.

Anime, shows progress and stuff like that. Because does it make sense if Ash is still 10 yet went through all these regions and captured a lot of Pokémon? No.

Okay, lets put it this way: If Ash did age, he would currently be the same age as Brock was. Ash would be more mature in battle, but would also have raging hormones like Brock and go nuts every time he saw a girl.

I think the reason Ash is still a kid is because if Ash did age, he would basically be Brock. And while we like Brock, he wasn't Ash.
Also, if Ash started falling for girls, there would be some sort of drama involving Misty sometime around Johto.... Think about it: they would've became teenagers at the same time.......SOMETHING was sure to develop there! (and do we need that added drama?)

It's true that some Anime (and Manga) charaters do progress in age (take the Dragon Ball series for example), but Pokemon is different. Different, because it's for the kid in all of us.

With that, I still kind of like the idea of Ash growing up, but for the sake of the show, he shouldn't.

Yes. It's been 5 regions, plus the Orange Islands. He should at least be 11 by now! Even the South Park boys have aged 2 years already (well, at least Stan).

Okay, let me put it this way. If Ash did age, he would be more mature, and as people said, start hitting on girls. Ironically, he did hit on one during Kanto. But I wouldn't like Ash to hit on girls, so maybe he is focused on one of his traveling partners (Iris, Dawn, May, Misty) or someone else (Anabel, Angie), so yep. I got a little theory actually.

Ash was a 15-year old boy who was awesome. One time he was about to go to Prof. Oak's Lab but his head was hit by a hard stubstance and he thought he was 10 instead of 15. Basically he has amnesia. He thought he never met Misty, Brock, May, Max, CotD #665, Dawn, and Paul, or anyone else before he got Pikachu and went off on his journey. The only way to cure his amnesia is to be hit by a hard stubstance again. The End.

Basically, with Ash 10, it messes up the anime's continuity and that's just terrible. Terrible writing, for sure. Again, as people said before, the writers basically did an "Fuck YOU!!!" to the older watchers and it ends up bad. Whoop de doo.

EDIT: And do you know what's more ironic? If the people in the games and manga age, then the characters in the anime should age. Because, in the manga, Red was 12, then a timeskip happened, and he became 16 (or 15). And in the games, Red was 14, because GSCHGSS took place 3 years after RBGYFRLG and that happens. And if it makes sense if the people in the manga and games age, then it would make sense if Ash ages. Before you know it, in 20 years, Ash is gonna be a creepy man-child who wants to become the Pokémon Master, or plays video games with a child. (Oops, did I just mention 18-volt and 9-volt?) Anyways, the way this works is complete bullshit. Unbelieveable how he travels through 5 REGIONS plus a Battle Frontier in less than a YEAR. Can't they at least use good cash to hire great writers unlike those who want Ash 10 forever as a marketing ploy! Basically, in a century, the anime will still be going on and Ash still wants to become the Pokémon Master and is still 10. He's just a marketing ploy forever.

Last edited:
Perhaps a three year timeskip to age 13? Honestly, it's hard to believe that he's traversed five f*cking regions in less then a year. :/

I think it would deffinitly do the show some good, (just like how it was really good for shows like Ben 10 and Naruto)
It can also pull in an older fan base.

Although I like young Ash I think a little older more mature but more rambunctious Ash would be awesome, Like a leap to about 16 or so...
It's just time for someone to hit puberty already!

Yeah it would have made sense to age him one year per series so that it would be more realistic than jumping him from age 10 to 15 or something. It would be a big gap plus a lot of things might be missed like the golden age of 13 or his first crush. You know, the basics.

The best way to go about this is retconing Ash being ten in best wishes. Just ignore it like they ignored time passing. The Ben Ten sequel series are better than the original IMO and Dragon Ball Z is WAY more popular than Dragonball so why not.

If Ash isn't going to leave the show, then let him age. Like some of us said, I like the Ash-being-the-mentor-of-the-new-main-boy idea.

Honestly, even at age 15 I don't think Ash would behave like the typical teenager. Remember how long it took Goku in Dragon Ball to just understand the concept of marriage? And even after he got married and had a kid, he was still painfully oblivious to a lot of things most adults would be aware of by now and the greatest irony of all was his son Gohan usually being depicted as more mature and serious than his own father most of the time. And despite all the aging Goku went through, he was received well by the fanbase the entire time, to the point where they threw a fit when Akira Toriyama tried to replace him with Gohan (or Goten) as the main protagonist.

That's not to say Ash is exactly the same as Goku (he grew up in civilization, at least) and I don't want him to marry and have kids or anything, but I really don't think Ash would suddenly become Brock if he became a teenager. He could easily remain just as likable and relatable as a teenager as he was in the beginning of the series. In the long run, allowing Ash to age wouldn't really change too much, but it does do one important thing: allow me to continue suspending disbelief of the rest of the stuff that happens on the show. There are a lot of wacky elements in the show, sure, but in a journey-based show where every episode follows after the previous one (which invalidates the whole "it's just like The Simpsons/South Park/Family Guy" - by the by, the latter two DID age the cast, if at an inconsistent basis), there is a passage of time and there's no sense in prohibiting the characters to age. Especially now that Ash has accomplished so many things and I still think the regional Leagues are the Pokemon world equivalent of the Super Bowl.

It may seem ridiculous to some people, but for all the disbelief I can suspend for Pokemon's sake, the lack of aging is something I cannot take in stride. It makes the cycle endless with no true resolution in sight and that's a terrible excuse to not age the main cast. At this point, even if they did a timeskip after BW, that wouldn't rectify the issue of accepting that everything from Kanto through Unova happened within a single year. It would take a major retcon to have everything make sense again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom