• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Is Jim Butcher the same guy who did that series with the Wizard PI? Can't remember what it was called, but the main character's name was Howard. Syfy aired a TV series of it for a while.

Oh boy, I haven't been part of one of these threads since the Fanfiction Lounge at PC got shut down so many months ago . . .

Going back to what was said about fantasy series a little while back . . . I'd recommend the works of Brandon Sanderson for anybody who's into a bit of epic fantasy. His writing isn't as dense and weighty as Tolkien or Robert Jordan, and as a result the books manage to be really interesting while still spanning hundreds and hundreds of pages. I tend to avoid epic fantasy because it's usually terribly overwrought and reading it is like wading through molasses, but Sanderson's books keep the pace up, and that's really important.

Is Jim Butcher the same guy who did that series with the Wizard PI? Can't remember what it was called, but the main character's name was Howard. Syfy aired a TV series of it for a while.

It was Harry, actually. Harry Dresden. Fantastic series.

I need to come here more often 9.9

*timidly puts my hand up* Despite me trying to be a writer, I actually read very little prose - most of what I read is manga and the odd light novel xD

I've had 1Q84 Books 1 and 2 sat on top of my TV for at least a couple of months now. I purchased it because I heard it was good, but I've never found the time to sit down and read it. Then again, I still need to finish The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet as well 9.9. The last prose book I read all the way through was The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman about 2 years ago - I had to go on a drama trip to London, so I bought it to read on the bus. A fantastic read.

One short book though which I really love is "Clockwork, or All Wound Up" by Philip Pullman. It's really short (less than 100 pages) but it's fantastic. I was introduced to it when I had a drama exam coming up and needed to see a play in my local area to write about; a steam-punk themed theatre adaptation was running at a theatre. I went with my brother and ended up chatting to the actors at the bar after show. Was fantastic, so I asked for the book for my birthday.

I recently got the courage to show my Mum the first chapter of my novel. To put it into her own words:
I can't wait to read the next chapter, and the next and the next - all of it!...The writing is incredible, the storyline unique and beholding - like a book you start reading and don't want to put down.
Of course, my Mum wrote it so I have to take it with a pinch of salt xD

Of course, my Mum wrote it so I have to take it with a pinch of salt xD

Exactly how I react to my sister. She keeps insisting I am 'the best writer ever'. Although my mom is still waiting for us to write a collaboration novel...

Exactly how I react to my sister. She keeps insisting I am 'the best writer ever'. Although my mom is still waiting for us to write a collaboration novel...
With my older brother, he's done A-Level English like me, so he can be an absolute bitch when it comes to reading stuff, so I keep on bugging him to take a look at my work, but he never finds the time. Currently, I have a friend looking it over, who is very critical at times - which I want.

With my older brother, he's done A-Level English like me, so he can be an absolute bitch when it comes to reading stuff, so I keep on bugging him to take a look at my work, but he never finds the time. Currently, I have a friend looking it over, who is very critical at times - which I want.

Critical feedback is very important, but unfortunately, I don't have access to any. Do you want to be a novelist?

Critical feedback is very important, but unfortunately, I don't have access to any. Do you want to be a novelist?
Indeed I do - only thing I'm somewhat good at xD. I'm currently near the end of editing my first novel. My new years resolution was to find an agent =3

Indeed I do - only thing I'm somewhat good at xD. I'm currently near the end of editing my first novel. My new years resolution was to find an agent =3

I didn't realise you were so close to finishing, Josh, I'm only like a third of the way through D= I'm going to have to put in a lot of effort to catch up with you! The race is still on!

Are you guys excited about the awards coming up? I'm certainly looking forward to them, really happy that we've finally published the announcement in the main Workshop - been looking forward to that happening for a while! =D

Are you guys excited about the awards coming up? I'm certainly looking forward to them, really happy that we've finally published the announcement in the main Workshop - been looking forward to that happening for a while! =D

I'm excited! Especially since I didn't see them coming at all. I do hope they get accepted by the majority of the members here.

Well, good luck!
Thanks - I'm really going to need it.

I didn't realise you were so close to finishing, Josh, I'm only like a third of the way through D= I'm going to have to put in a lot of effort to catch up with you! The race is still on!
In terms of how close I am...I'm about 5/6ths. I may have added a bit too many extra scenes, so I might have to add another chapter in xD. I'm currently on a break while I write the new Bright World chapter. After that, I'll be beginning editing (well, practically rewriting) the penultimate chapter. Granted, a chapter is around 4,500 words...so it may take another couple of months.

I've got another (possibly better) idea for a novel in mind (well, out of the many others I have, one sticks out) so while I'm approaching agents etc, I might as well start planning that one in case things don't go as planned.

One thing I noticed is, previous awards would always fall in the months between when I had a new chapter out, or nominations would end a week before I was scheduled to publish a new chapter. However, the date of the next Bright World chapter falls in the middle of the nomination period...so hopefully people remember that I exist xD

Posted the first part of my first pokemon fic tonight. Gah! I'm so nervous, I'm shaking!

Posted the first part of my first pokemon fic tonight. Gah! I'm so nervous, I'm shaking!

Just readed your fic and I liked it. The chapter was a bit short commpared to other fics but as said, I enjoyed it.

When we talk about it's your first Pokémon fic, it reminds me I need to post mine either today or very soon, writing 15 chapters ahead is a bit too much, don't you think?

When we talk about it's your first Pokémon fic, it reminds me I need to post mine either today or very soon, writing 15 chapters ahead is a bit too much, don't you think?

I've been in that boat before :p

The unfortunate thing is that you improve with criticism, so you'll be uploading chapters that aren't as good as the one's that you can actually write. I ended up spending more time revising my old chapters than writing new ones until I caught up to where I was.

Back
Top Bottom