• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Grass, Fire, or Water?

I don't pick my starters based on what they can do. :) Mainly, because if I am going to fully evolve it (which I have always done so far) I want to like what I'm getting. Like, Cyndaquil. That was my first to ever get on a Pokemon capture game. I personally liked the evolutions the most. I had actually no clue what it could do at all. X3 I, personally, didn't like the other two as much.
So, basically I pick what I like most.
But, if I couldn't do that (like if all the starters I didn't like) I would choose the fire type. Fire is my favorite type and most of my favorite starters are fire. So, basically, I would choose that.

Also, just something random I thought of while typing this;
My Typhlosion, Flame, doesn't follow the rule about water beating fire. X3

Water. Generally Water-types are more useful than Fire and Grass types for both offense and defense. They also tend to have better designs IMO.

Fire, seeing as there are only a few good grass types and water types to use.
...Wait WHAT?! O__O

I get this is your opinnion but....There's over 100 water types
and it has been paired up with allmost all types...Surely you can find good ones in that group?

For example:
- Blastoise
- Cloyster
- Gyarados
- Starmie
- Vaporeon
- Politoed
- Suicune
- Milotic
- Empoleon
- Swampert
- Carracosta
- Kyogre
...The list goes on.
For the end I'd like to state again that I understand that this was just your opinnion.
But it doesn't mean I shouldn't defend my own opinnion a bit, right?

...Wait WHAT?! O__O

I get this is your opinnion but....There's over 100 water types
and it has been paired up with allmost all types...Surely you can find good ones in that group?

For example:
- Blastoise
- Cloyster
- Gyarados
- Starmie
- Vaporeon
- Politoed
- Suicune
- Milotic
- Empoleon
- Swampert
- Carracosta
- Kyogre
...The list goes on.
For the end I'd like to state again that I understand that this was just your opinnion.
But it doesn't mean I shouldn't defend my own opinnion a bit, right?

That's my point. Those are the only water types who are good in battle, the rest somewhat mediocre (Seaking, Luvdisc, Basulin, etc).

That's my point. Those are the only water types who are good in battle, the rest somewhat mediocre (Seaking, Luvdisc, Basulin, etc).

Actually,

-Blastoise
-Tentacruel
-Slobro
-Slowking
-Cloyster
-Kingdra
-Starmie
-Gyarados
-Lapras
-Vaporeon
-Kabutops
-Omastar
-Feraligatr
-Lanturn
-Politoed
-Quagsire
-Suicune
-Swampert
-Ludicolo
-Sharpedo
-Milotic
-Walrein
-Gorebyss
-Kyogre
-Empoleon
-Gastrodon
-Rotom-W
-Palkia
-Manaphy
-Samurott
-Simipour
-Jellicent

Total: 32

Those are all some useful to excellent and devastating Water types in their respective tiers.

I didn't include Keldeo because technically, it's unreleased as of right now, but you can just go ahead and add him to the list unofficially, as it looks to be another excellent Pokemon.

As far as Grass types are concerned,

-Venusaur
-Exeggutor
-Tangrowth
-Meganium
-Jumpluff
-Celebi
-Sceptile
-Ludicolo
-Breloom
-Roserade
-Cacturne
-Cradily
-Torterra
-Abomasnow
-Leafeon
-Rotom-C
-Shaymin [-S]
-Serperior
-Simisage
-Whimsicott
-Lilligant
-Sawsbuck
-Ferrothorn
-Virizion

Total: 24

Those all range from nice to have to fantastic in their respective tiers as well. Definitely not dead weight in a team.

Conversely, the number of useful Fire types pretty much boils down to:

-Charizard
-Ninetales
-Arcanine
-Flareon
-Moltres
-Typhlosion
-Houndoom
-Entei
-Ho-Oh
-Blaziken
-Infernape
-Magmortar
-Rotom-H
-Victini
-Emboar
-Simisear
-Darmanitan
-Chandelure
-Volcarona
-Reshiram

Total: 20

The least of the three groups.

Sure, Fire may have the coolness factor going on for it, but Water is, competitively, the best of the three and Grass has some fantastic utility (not to mention the ability to counter certain key threats, Water itself among them.) Fire only has raw power (which Dragon does better anyway) and a nifty SR weakness. All in all, you'll find more useful Grass/Water types than you'll find Fire types. I admit though, part of the problem is due to the lower number of Fire types in general, but the point still stands regardless.

Last edited:
Water, because it is the most balanced. Plus it has Oshawott, Mudkip and Squirtle.

Water Types haves loads of HP and Sp. Defd, but can still deal a fair hit with decent Sp.Atk.

Actually,

-Blastoise
-Tentacruel
-Slobro
-Slowking
-Cloyster
-Kingdra
-Starmie
-Gyarados
-Lapras
-Vaporeon
-Kabutops
-Omastar
-Feraligatr
-Lanturn
-Politoed
-Quagsire
-Suicune
-Swampert
-Ludicolo
-Sharpedo
-Milotic
-Walrein
-Gorebyss
-Kyogre
-Empoleon
-Gastrodon
-Rotom-W
-Palkia
-Manaphy
-Samurott
-Simipour
-Jellicent

Total: 32

False, Lanturn and Quagsire aren't very good Pokemon no matter how many times you try to prove it. They got screwed with their base stats. Keep in mind that Water has the most reps out of all types, hence why I meant most of them are going to be mediocre with only a few good ones.

As far as Grass types are concerned,

-Venusaur
-Exeggutor
-Tangrowth
-Meganium
-Jumpluff
-Celebi
-Sceptile
-Ludicolo
-Breloom
-Roserade
-Cacturne
-Cradily
-Torterra
-Abomasnow
-Leafeon
-Rotom-C
-Shaymin [-S]
-Serperior
-Simisage
-Whimsicott
-Lilligant
-Sawsbuck
-Ferrothorn
-Virizion

Total: 24

Why did you have to include Exeggutor, Meganium, Jumpluff, Cacturne, Abomasnow, Liligith, and Serperior when they prove my point about mediocre Grass types (whether it's poor movepools or numerous weaknesses)?

Conversely, the number of useful Fire types pretty much boils down to:

-Charizard
-Ninetales
-Arcanine
-Flareon
-Moltres
-Typhlosion
-Houndoom
-Entei
-Ho-Oh
-Blaziken
-Infernape
-Magmortar
-Rotom-H
-Victini
-Emboar
-Simisear
-Darmanitan
-Chandelure
-Volcarona
-Reshiram

Total: 20

Why did you include Flareon and Entei when they're both on the same league as Macargo and Torkoal? And Typholsion's only niche is Eruption; otherwise, it has no way to raise its physical attack to abuse anything else.

Also, respective tiers mean nothing if they aren't capable enough in OU battles.

-Ninetales
-Charizard
-Moltres
-Arcanine
-Typlosion
-Houndoom
-Entei
-Ho-oh
-Blaziken
-Infernape
-Rotom-H
-Victini
-Darmanitan
-Chandelure
-Valcarona
-Reshiram
-Heatran

17. That's the amount of Fire types that are RU or above, if I am correct.

-Blastoise
-Poliwrath
-Cloyster
-Kingdra
-Starmie
-Gyarados
-Vaporeon
-Feraligatr
-Azumarill
-Politoed
-Suicune
-Swampert
-Sharpedo
-Crawdaunt
-Milotic
-Kyogre
-Empoleon
-Manaphy
-Tentacruel
-Slowbro
-Qwilfish
-Ludicolo
-Gastrodon
-Palkia
-Jellicent
-Omastar
-Kabutops
-Rotom-W

Those are the amount of water types that are RU or above, if I am correct. 28.

So, about 25% of all Water-types are RU or above.

And about 35% of all Fire types are RU or above.

Granted, I also included NFE Pokemon in this number, but percentage-wise there really aren't many more viable Fire-types than Water types.

Sorry if I made any mistakes. I would do Grass, but I'm lazy. ^^;

False, Lanturn and Quagsire aren't very good Pokemon no matter how many times you try to prove it. They got screwed with their base stats. Keep in mind that Water has the most reps out of all types, hence why I meant most of them are going to be mediocre with only a few good ones.

Why did you have to include Exeggutor, Meganium, Jumpluff, Cacturne, Abomasnow, Liligith, and Serperior when they prove my point about mediocre Grass types (whether it's poor movepools or numerous weaknesses)?

Why did you include Flareon and Entei when they're both on the same league as Macargo and Torkoal? And Typholsion's only niche is Eruption; otherwise, it has no way to raise its physical attack to abuse anything else.

Also, respective tiers mean nothing if they aren't capable enough in OU battles.

Now you see, this isn't only false, it's also close to insulting.

I included those Pokemon because respective tiers do mean something. OU is not, never was and never will be the only metagame that matters in Pokemon. Many players actively hate OU and prefer playing in other tiers. Remember, the environments are different for every tier. For example, the OU tier has Chansey and Blissey in it, meaning that most special attackers are useless in that tier. It's not that they're bad, it's that the presence of those Pokemon limits their usefulness. In the same vein, OU is filled to the brim with Volt-Turn and Weather. If a Pokemon doesn't fit or counter that mold, it is essentially dead weight in OU. It's not bad, it's just that the OU metagame isn't kind to it.

I included the likes of Lilligant, Typhlosion and Charizard because in RU, they're monsters (on par with legendary Pokemon such as Entei)

Quagsire counters Rain brilliantly but it's outclassed by Gastrodon, which is why one is OU and the other isn't. The fact that Gastrodon can do it better in no way means Quagsire is a poor counter to rain.

NU has it's fair share of useful and useless Pokemon too. Serperior, Exeggutor, Gorebyss, Swellow, and Magmortar are top tier NU Pokemon. Conversely, Lumineon, Beautifly, Dustox and Wormadam are crap.

The Pokemon metagame exists beyond the OU and Uber tiers.

Last edited:
I don't metagame, I only had a few competitive battles (from which I learned the tier terms, which have changed again anyway). I mostly do my battles against NPCs and, I must say, Fire is limited as heck.

Yes, Emboar is my favourite Pokémon. Yes, I like Fire-Types. However, in battle they are outright boring; they are burst attackers, and little more (I'm generalizing, but I'm not even sure if there are exceptions...)

Water and Grass-types, on the other hand, can be so much more. They can support, they defend, they can attack. They are versatile and that makes them fun to use. To me, that matters more than tiers ever will.

Choosing between the two of them isn't easy, I wish this was a multiple-choice poll. :p

I like Grass-types a lot, but I use Water-types more... Still, for lack of better I'll take my decision down to trivial matters and chose Grass-types simply because green is my favourite colour. Hurrah!

Grass type is appealing to me thus I mostly go for grass typed starters, though water takes the second place. :D

i agree Tsutarja :) the only thing i like grass is when they evolve faster like ivysaur to venusaur... level 32 while the rest is 36... same with the non starters :)

I've always picked water because I seem to win more battles quicker

haha i agree España ... especially the first gym of gen 1,3,and 4 rock types xD and the HM Surf is strong also HM Waterfalls xD

I gotta choose Grass here. Yeah, Water is definitely the better type and Fire is the most popular, but I have my reasons to not choose these two.

Water: The type is pretty good and I love water irl, but man, the Pokémon of this type are too damn common and most of them are badly designed IMO. It doesn't help that half of the Water-type starters don't fit my tastes. Feraligatr and Samurott are ugly and Swampert is weird. Blastoise and Empoleon are awesome though. I don't really hate or dislike the type, but is definitely not one of my favorites.

Fire: I dislike most of Fire-type Pokémon, specially two of the most overrated Pokémon ever: Charizard and Arcanine. They suck. Ahem... There are exceptions, of course and they are Ninetales, Moltres, Ho-Oh and Volcarona. Plus, I HATE HEAT.

And finally, Grass. Well why do I like Grass, the weakest of the starter types trio? Mostly because the major aspect I appreciate on Pokémon are their designs and most of Grass-type Pokémon are awesomely designed. Major examples are Grovyle, Torterra, Cherrim, Shaymin, Snivy, Serperior, Venusaur, Shiftry, Breloom, Ferrothorn, Virizion and Chespin. Of course there are exception here too, like Carnivine, Sunflora, Sceptile, Lombre and Wormadam. These things are disgusting. Also, I like how you play with Pokémon of this type. Leech Seed is a bless. Finally, green is gorgeous.

All three types are about even in my opinion, so I'll just vote for fire based on this:

favorite generation one starter: Charmander
favorite generation two starter: Cyndaquil
favorite generation three starter: Treecko
favorite generation four starter: Turtwig
favorite generation five starter: Oshawott
favorite generation six starter: Fennekin

As you can see, three fire-types are my favorite for a certain generation, two for grass, and one for water. That's why I choose fire.

The very first starter I picked was Squirtle. But recently, I find myself picking the fire starter often (Cyndaquil, Torchic & Chimchar).
My starter favorites (over-all wise) are very neutral though.
Gen I - Charmander
Gen II - Chikorita
Gen III - Treecko
Gen IV - Piplup
Gen V - Oshawott

I nearly always pick fire. The water type usually isn't that interesting and a lot of Pokemon games have a crap load of water types available anyway. Fire types are usually rare. Grass type is ok but I find it isn't all that great defensively or offensively. Mostly good for the status/healing moves, which I rarely use in game.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom