• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Anime General Chat - Talk about non-Anime things!

Re: Pokémon Anime General Chat - Talk about anything!

I read about that! It was amusing because I remember the majority of the character deaths being totally spontaneous. And since I've been following Mega64's LP of FFIV where he's at the part where a ton of party members die/presumably die but not really/become incapacitated indefinitely, I'm almost seeing parallels between II and IV with the shameless slaughter of main characters... the difference being that only one of the FFIV PCs actually died, and somehow Yang and Cid were badass enough to survive BEING EXPLODED whereas I recall literally one of the FFII PCs being killed by a boulder.

Hah.
Oh man, the boulder. The boulder death seemed reeeeeally forced, like "oh man, we gotta kill off Josef so his little Nelly remains horribly depressed for the remainder of the game for no apparent reason and never really recovers from it until the very end so there's lost character development there" but the best they could come up with was the old booby-trapped boulder chase scene. Where was I, the Temple of Doom? They were all really odd "sacrificing myself to save the heroic orphans" deaths. I liked Minwu, though... I was pretty sad when he died unsealing the Ultima tome.

Now that I think of it, this is the same game where the Emperor strikes a deal with the devil - literally - and then, when the heroic orphans kill him, he is sent to Hell, kills Satan, and takes over. But a main character dies from a boulder running over them. It's almost funny.

Maybe I should follow some LPs. It might help give more perspective on things I haven't thought of in the games before. At the very least, a good one might provide a healthy bit of humor in contrast to the unwanted drama in my life.

What are you guys going to do tomorrow night?

Well I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow night, but tomorrow morning I'm supposed to be working. But it's going to snow, so I hope my kids don't go in and I have the morning off :p

The Hunger Games is amazing, for what it's worth. The whole series is just fantastic. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes reading basically. XD

The Hunger Games is one of the most amazing series I've ever read. I'm definitely excited for the movie and hope more people read the books because of it. <3

What are you guys going to do tomorrow night?
Eating chocolate or McDonald's at 8:15 PM.

I keep hearing about a book at school called, "The Hunger Games". About a girl in a vicious fierce competition. Sounds intriguing, anyone read it?
Yep! Read the series. It's worth a read. Especially if you liked Battle Royale and its political themes.

Haven't planned anything for tomorrow yet, aside from watching the new MLP episode. My routine is still in tatters since Christmas; I should spend the day getting my obligations back on track.

Besides working for a few hours, I'll probably just be playing a lot of Final Fantasy II tomorrow. :D

Tomorrow night I'm going to a late-night screening of The Room. I've bought lots of plastic spoons.

Good idea, some brain bleach wouldn't go awry either (I've seen it before, so at least I know what I'm in for), only this time I've researched the audience participation. Spontaneous football games in the aisles sounds like it'll be fun.

Tomorrow night I'm going to a late-night screening of The Room. I've bought lots of plastic spoons.
Oh, I'm so jealous! I wanted to see the stream of it on last April Fools, but was busy with other plans. Hope to catch it this year :p

I want to watch The Room one day. The clips and scenes I've seen already were pretty bad to say the least, especially for something made as recently as 2003, but I saw The Man Who Saved The World a little while ago, and I hadn't laughed so much in ages. I doubt even The Room will be that hilariously awful.

But, Mako being more brutal and less of a nice girl,

I think she was pretty much with the same personality she had in the anime, just more emphasized and focused on

Minako being pretty serious,

She was my favorite in the live action! though I also really like her in the anime, so both "versions" of her are ok for me

Ami being portrayed as being unsure of herself more and more sad was great I admit,

This was also a case of kind of using the anime personality but exggerating it and taking it to more extreme levels... like with Minako, I loved both versions of her

Rei became serious,

Apparently she was so in the manga too... I think I'd prefer the anime version in this case

and Usagi was less of a brat at times.

Anime Usagi definitely is the better one, compared to live action (and while I didn't really read the manga, I'm sure I'll prefer her anime version over that too)

I'm a bit more torn up over Mako's change in the Live action.

Not a real "change" in my opinion... as I said above

A Sailor Moon discussion and I missed it all...aw,...poor old Teddi... ;_;

You also missed my VMs where I tried to tag you only to realize I totally failed at the whole tagging thing that doesn't work in VMs
So I'll copy-paste said VM here:
OK, THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME
Sailor Pokemoon episode 1
Combining my two favorite things ever in a way that actually works perfectly and doesn't feel like a bad crossover at all!
Seriously, it's really good! I want to see more!!
There's also this "opening"-
Sailor Pokemoon intro
Which is also totally awesome - especially loved how well they matched the Eeveelutions to the Sailor Warriors, that made sense (and Umbreon for Sailor Moon is SO fitting and better than the automatic thinking most would probably do that cat=Meowth/Skitty/Glameow/Purrloin)

EDIT: and another awesome thing: http://static.zerochan.net/full/38/24/243738.jpg
EDIT 2: I just now realized how this video is even better than I thought, it was perfect to choose Team Galactic that have members named Saturn/Mars/Jupiter/Pluto and Black Moon Clan that have members named Rubeus (Ruby), Esmerodo (Emerald), Saphir (Sapphire) and Demand (Diamond)
The more I watch it and think of it, the better it gets and I keep thinking of more stuff... it's genius... I want more!

TeddiUrsa said:
Super S killed my interest in my rewatch almost altogether. Filler-Hell worse than Pokémon's Johto, boring villians, lame plot and Chibi-Usa...

SuperS was my favorite T_T
Chibiusa is awesome... Chibiusa x Pegasus was also cute (...I don't care it's a little girl with a horse T_T ) and I can't really see how the villians were more "boring" compared to any of the other ones... the only "villians" I really liked were the aliens, which had the shortest run of all =\

Anyway, another SM thing I'd throw here is the fan made movie: Sailor Moon The Movie - YouTube
It's awesome... hopefully they'll do more... at least I can like their Mamoru, which I can't say for the official Japanese live action

Last edited:

You also missed my VMs where I tried to tag you only to realize I totally failed at the whole tagging thing that doesn't work in VMs
So I'll copy-paste said VM here: [...]

This is pretty cool, but my dislike for the eevee-family kinda ruins it. Sailor Moon should own a Teddiursa because of the moon on its forehead :p But I like the idea behind the video very much. ^^

SuperS was my favorite T_T
Chibiusa is awesome... Chibiusa x Pegasus was also cute (...I don't care it's a little girl with a horse T_T ) and I can't really see how the villians were more "boring" compared to any of the other ones... the only "villians" I really liked were the aliens, which had the shortest run of all =\

The SuperS plot was kinda un-focused to me. The big finale came out of nowhere to me and while I liked the Amazone Trio I found the Quartette kinda lame, especially without the funny hitting on targets. Don't get me wrong, SuperS has many good comedy episodes ( the dentist one is one of my all-time favourite episodes, or when everybody is trying to figure out who is ChibiUsa's first love, or Minako dating TigerEye and HawkEye...etc. ), but the plot-episodes kinda sucked and I didn't like how Usagi was forced to transform and attack together with ChibiUsa all the time.

I liked the love story, even with the "girl and a horse" approach, but ChibiUsa just isn't the type of character I can get into. I liked how she was handled in Sailor Moon S much better. Being important to the story but without being the focus of oh so many episodes.

I marathoned PGSM not too long ago, from acts 23 through 47. A couple of months prior I marathoned acts 1 through 22, and I have no idea what possessed me to go over the series again (though the first time through I missed a bunch of filler episodes). But it was very enjoyable. I sorta became more aware of the terrible special effects and various flaws of the show that I looked over when I was 17 when the series originally came out, but that ultimately didn't my impact my ability to enjoy the story. I actually liked that they took various elements of the manga and anime (though mostly the manga) with their own unique twists to make this series. It actually makes me wish there was an anime/manga counterpart to Mio; I probably would've been more inclined to like Queen Beryl in the anime that way.

I think PGSM made all of the Senshi who weren't Usagi feel like important individuals more effectively than the anime and manga did. Even Makoto, who the anime often totally boned, felt very significant. And honestly I greatly prefer PGSM Rei to anime Rei. Then again, I didn't really like anime Rei to begin with and easily preferred her in the manga anyway. I have no idea why they were so compelled to make Rei out-of-character in the anime, but I didn't like it. I never really cared for the Usagi/Rei being best friends in the anime thing; it just felt forced. I preferred when they picked up on Usagi and Minako practically being twins and Venus was supposed to be the leader in the manga anyway, so I dunno why the anime felt that Mars was a "better" second-in-command other than the fact that Minako didn't appear for 30-something episodes into the series. I did like how PGSM adapted that in a way, with Minako setting Rei up to be the leader in her place after she passed on.

Speaking of, Minako's death is the reason I cut my marathon off at act 47. It was just as heavy as I remembered it being 9 years ago, though having watched ALL of the acts beforehand where her imminent demise was consistently referenced and foreshadowed probably had a hand in making her death more powerful to me, since I initially missed the episodes right before her death where she finally awakened her inner powers and decided to go through the risky surgery. Speaking of, as wonderfully as they did the act of her demise, it always left me wondering how exactly Minako died. The imagery didn't exactly make the circumstances clear to me, and while it's not exactly a crucially important detail given how they executed the whole thing, it made me wonder if she died before she even made it to her examination or if she died during her examination or if she actually died during the surgery (which I don't believe was supposed to happen that day anyway?). The fact that we're never told what was wrong with her doesn't help (though I think I figured out what subtly inspired me to do a particular twist in my own fic); I think it pesters me because Minako was so reluctant to undergo the surgery given its extremely low chance of success (though it didn't seem clear whether or not the surgery would be lethal to her or just ineffective) and the fact that her death was precisely 6 months after the act that aired where doctors were saying she had only 6 months left.

Either way, that was the single most powerful thing PGSM ever did, and I think it managed to out-do the Sailor Stars anime scene where the Inner Senshi were killed off by Galaxia and Rei's last words to Usagi (the only thing I really appreciated about their friendship). And if there was one useful thing Sailor Luna did, it was replacing Venus in the PGSM intro during certain parts to really drive home the "Venus is dead, folks" plot point after act 47. Considering Venus and Mercury were my favorite characters overall and PGSM did their characters more justice than the anime and manga did imo, y'know with Dark Mercury and all (the build-up to that was great too; that was the reason why I initially took a break from the marathon after Ami became evil), I did develop a special appreciation for PGSM despite its flaws.

I think the manga did its SuperS equivalent arc much better than the anime did, too. I admit the anime had good episodes here and there (mainly the ones @TeddiUrsa mentioned), but overall I didn't care for it. I didn't really care for Chibiusa in the anime and REALLY didn't like the story centering on her to the point that she always had to fight with Usagi... and unfortunately I was one who was squicked out by the romance aspect of it. Besides the fact that it was between a little girl and a horse, the dub made it even worse by making Helios sound like a 40 year-old man. Other than that, the SuperS anime bored me out of my mind. It couldn't even have a proper ending within its own season (though its resolution in Sailor Stars was pretty epic). But really, I was happy Chibiusa didn't make any more appearances beyond one brief cameo after that. My favorite anime seasons were, oddly enough, the first and last ones. I dunno if it's nostalgia, but even though I hated Queen Beryl, I enjoyed the generals. Especially Nephrite and Zoicite. And for some reason I think the first season wasn't quite as formulaic as the series was from S onwards. The fillers from early on felt a bit easier to stomach than the later ones; it's hard to explain. It just seemed that, once the S series started, the fillers were getting awfully repetitive, though granted before S there weren't any villains coming in to steal weird objects from the bodies of random civilians. Aside from the Rainbow Crystals, but I think those are a different sort of deal altogether. Aside from that I did like the storyline of S, though. Oh, right, the first season was the only season where Mamoru had a personality before he became painfully bland, too.

Maybe I yapped enough. Can't help it; Sailor Moon was a big cornerstone of my childhood. ._.

This is pretty cool, but my dislike for the eevee-family kinda ruins it.

Eeveelutions are awesome :(

Sailor Moon should own a Teddiursa because of the moon on its forehead :p

LOL XD well, maybe she can have a whole team then... throw in a Skitty and a Buneary to complete the cat/moon and bunny themes

But I like the idea behind the video very much. ^^

Yeah, I wish they did more of these... oh, and did you watch the fan movie?

The SuperS plot was kinda un-focused to me. The big finale came out of nowhere to me and while I liked the Amazone Trio I found the Quartette kinda lame, especially without the funny hitting on targets. Don't get me wrong, SuperS has many good comedy episodes ( the dentist one is one of my all-time favourite episodes, or when everybody is trying to figure out who is ChibiUsa's first love, or Minako dating TigerEye and HawkEye...etc. ), but the plot-episodes kinda sucked and I didn't like how Usagi was forced to transform and attack together with ChibiUsa all the time.

I don't know... can't really see how it "came out of nowhere" more than the previous seasons or how the quartettes were any worse than 90% of the other villians in this show... fillers never bothered me so... XD I often prefer them over the plot eps anyway
And I totally loved the double transformation! it was cute!

I liked the love story, even with the "girl and a horse" approach, but ChibiUsa just isn't the type of character I can get into. I liked how she was handled in Sailor Moon S much better. Being important to the story but without being the focus of oh so many episodes.

Well, in S she was more of a sidekick like the other girls... in SuperS she's supposed to be pretty much an equal star to Usagi... and I liked that
I know lots of people apparently hate Chibiusa but I really liked her - her design, personality, story, etc... I think I actually didn't really like her in her first few eps but warmed up to her in later R and in S when I first saw "Pink Sugar Heart Attack" XDDD and then SuperS just did it to me...

Minako's death

You know what's going on with that in final ep? (cause you said you watched till 47)

And if there was one useful thing Sailor Luna did, it was replacing Venus in the PGSM intro during certain parts to really drive home the "Venus is dead, folks" plot point after act 47.

I don't remember that 0__o *should rewatch SM anime in Japanese + live action* (and I'd like the watch sometime the musicals and English dub too...)

And for some reason I think the first season wasn't quite as formulaic as the series was from S onwards.

Cause it introduced the characters, revealed the whole background of their past life and so on that the later seasons continue to base their story on
It also was... well, the first season, so it felt more "fresh" when we started to watch it and eventually, the further you go in the show, the more you can feel how repetetive it is (I remember that I also started to feel it during S) though this didn't prevent me of enjoying it at all

though granted before S there weren't any villains coming in to steal weird objects from the bodies of random civilians.

Seriously... there are some eps that could be better without the forced "monster of the day"... a few "true fillers", with no enemies or anything plot-related at all, could improve SM a little...

Oh, right, the first season was the only season where Mamoru had a personality before he became painfully bland, too.

I can't see how he lost his personality... if anything, the writers just chose not to focus on him as much, but his personality always stayed...

Maybe I yapped enough. Can't help it; Sailor Moon was a big cornerstone of my childhood. ._.

It's kind of funny how SM is a thing from the past for lots of people, yet to me it's a relatively recent thing
A few years ago (2006, I think?) I watched first few eps (or some scenes of them at least) on Youtube and was like "wtf, boring, looks ancient, kthxbye"
Then in late 2010 I randomly decided to try it again, totally got into it and finished the whole anime (all 200 eps, 3 movies and their 2 shorts, SuperS special) and the complete live action series, in about 2-3 months

Then at the very end of 2010, somehow, just after I finished watching it, the show randomly came to Israel for the very first time ever
I then helped them with the dub (which I'm having mixed feelings about its final result, cause there are some things they did amazingly good and even PERFECT, yet some things that came out... horrible XD oh well, at least I had some influence and no doubt it turned out better than it'd be without my help)

The channel that aired SM here apparently thinks it was a "failure" but that's obviously due to poor schedule decisions (airing it before/after ridiculous live shows of the channel, rather than together with other girl cartoons or anime shows, or hell just cartoons in general... and only the first season aired in watch-able hours... after it they did a break and then aired seasons 2-5 in a row in ridiculous time slot when kids are in school and pretty much no one could see it without the help of Youtube...)

I wish there could be a new anime for SM in today's standards of animation and everything... could be awesome if done right
But I doubt they'll ever do it... cause they just had the perfect chance to reintroduce it with a remake, yet chose to redistribute the ancient anime instead... I think if they had remake plans, they'd wait for that rather than do anything with the old show...

...wall of text, sorry XD
EDIT: added my replies to @TeddiUrsa at the top of the post... (that what happens when I open "reply with quote" in separate tabs, then send one of them without copy-pasting the first into the second before sending it XD )

Oh, right, the first season was the only season where Mamoru had a personality before he became painfully bland, too.

I agree. Mamoru was a very enjoyable and cool character in the original series but all of his interesting characteristics disappeared later on. He was not only pretty bland but a total wimp most of the time ( It didn't help that Mamoru's German VA stopped voicing him after season 1 and got replaced with Umino's VA :p )

I agree. Mamoru was a very enjoyable and cool character in the original series but all of his interesting characteristics disappeared later on. He was not only pretty bland but a total wimp most of the time ( It didn't help that Mamoru's German VA stopped voicing him after season 1 and got replaced with Umino's VA :p )

At least he had some cute moments with Usagi (though it was very limited... I wish there were more) and some funny scenes... totally loved all the Usagi/Mamoru/Chibiusa crazy scenes XD especially that scene when Mimet is flirting with Mamo and he tells her he's with his family now... she asks if they're his sisters and he's all "lolno, they're my future wife and daughter, bye" XD
I think they just needed to focus on him a little more and that Stars should've either kept Mamo and Chibiusa or just not exist at all, instead adding few eps to form a proper ending after SuperS
And I edited my previous post with replies to you, Teddy (or shall I call you "teddy bear"? XD )

Hey guys, I haven't watched the anime for about a year now! (been busy with school, work, etc). could someone please catch me up? + why hasn't Tepig/Oshawott/Snivy evolved yet?

Buizelfan, this thread isn't supposed to be about the anime, it's supposed to be a thread where we talk about anything but the anime. :)

Hey guys, I haven't watched the anime for about a year now! (been busy with school, work, etc). could someone please catch me up? + why hasn't Tepig/Oshawott/Snivy evolved yet?

Hey, I remember you from pre-BW days! :D

I'll bite though, I can see how this might be a difficult thread to start :p

I haven't been watching much recently either, so I can't be the best summarizer, but
Tepig will evolve VERY soon

and as for the rest of them, I don't know. Oshawott BETTER evolve in my opinion, because I think it would lose its "piplup" status ever so slightly if it did :p

But BW has just been a muddle of a series so far. There was supposed to be this super special awesome plasma arc that got canceled because of the earthquakes (showing large-scale destruction during that period would have been distasteful). Uuuum, lots of interesting rivals have been introduced, including a psycho-obsessive one to oppose Dento (and expose him for the evil tyrant he truly is...Watch BW019, you'll understand :p). Dunno exactly how far you've gotten, but Ash has already earned his 5th badge (if I'm not mistaken >.>) and...yeah. Stuff.

Oh, yeah. There was this really long tournament, which in theory, would have been awesome had it not been for some...unexpected victories and over-done character interactions. But I suppose mileage will vary. Oh, and Meowth "quits" team rocket for a while and joins the twerps and they have a jolly good time together. Cilan is also afraid of Purrloin for some reason, and Iris of ice-types.

And Shooti is still a boring little prick, but he gets a cute back story involving Alder.

Yup. That's all that's striking to me XD
But I recommend this:

Timeline of events in the anime - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

For a quick and dirty overlook at what you missed!

Aaaaand back to non-anime stuffz, I guess XD

(or shall I call you "teddy bear"? XD )

Hehe, only QC calls him that ;P
goes to make another amv

Buizelfan, this thread isn't supposed to be about the anime, it's supposed to be a thread where we talk about anything but the anime. :)

I think it should be ok to have quick little discussions about the anime in cases like this - I don't think it really hurt the thread and sometimes there really isn't any existing thread to post stuff like that (and questions like that don't really deserve their own thread)
As long as it's kept to minimum and doesn't turn the whole thread into a discussions about it, I think it's ok... or at least should be...

(or shall I call you "teddy bear"? XD )

Hehe, only QC calls him that ;P
goes to make another amv

Now I demand this AMV to be made... seriously, do it! (though I'm not sure there's any Cynthia and Teddiursa appearing together footage to use... but your creativity will allow you to overcome this...)

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom