• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Alakazam get Aura-Sphere?

Should Alakazam get Aura-Sphere?

• Yes

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

Articwolf10

Reaction score
Okay I seen the Should Samurott get Shell-Smash thread and thought... Does anybody else think Alakazam should get Aura-Sphere? He already get's Focus-Blast So why not? It'd give him a more accurate Fighting type move to Cover his weakness to darkness...

Yeah, why not?

But, then again, I like the distribution of Aura Sphere being limited somewhat heavily. It's a rather overpowered move honestly. I mean, base 90 power and no-miss? But in all reality, there is no reason to not give Alakazam level-up access to the move, just at a high level.

What Alakazam really needs is a psychic-themed fire move, which has yet to be made.

Don't see what a fire Type move would do he has FB to handle Steel types... AS would help him since it's more accurate (though weaker)

Yeah, why not?

But, then again, I like the distribution of Aura Sphere being limited somewhat heavily. It's a rather overpowered move honestly. I mean, base 90 power and no-miss? But in all reality, there is no reason to not give Alakazam level-up access to the move, just at a high level.

I wouldn't call it overpowered. That perfect accuracy doesn't matter much more than just 100% in most situations; after all, hardly anyone drops Accuracy or raises Evasion (especially not in competitive battling). And power-wise, it's slightly less "overpowered" than the common Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, or Surf. Like those moves, I'd just call it "reliable".

It doesn't really make sense to me. Alakazam's more about mind power, not life force. I think it's already too common of a move anyway, even if a limited number can learn it. It was cooler when it was nearly exclusive to Lucario.

As far as it goes, I look towards the Snow Cloak and Sand Veil Pokemon....that's the accuracy irrelevancy that Aura Sphere engenders.

Sure....why not, I...uh...guess.

Gotta say, this one's a little...random. Care to explain why you chose this particular move on this particular Pokemon for a thread? I'm sure there are plenty of other Pokemon that want/need new moves out there, why Alakazam specifically?

What Alakazam really needs is a psychic-themed fire move, which has yet to be made.

Don't see what a fire Type move would do he has FB to handle Steel types... AS would help him since it's more accurate (though weaker)

*points to Bug/Steel types*

If Alakazam cares about that (he seriously shouldn't be coming in on any Scizors anyway, for fear of STAB super effective U-Turn, which most Scizor carry and love using lately,) he can always use HP Fire. Genesect isn't released yet, no Forretress in the right mind is going to stay in on an Alakazam for anything that isn't spinning and Durant is lol. I don't see the problem. And again, Alakazam can't risk getting hit by...well, anything, but super effective attacks especially. His defenses are slightly worse than those of a wet paper towel.

I'll have to say no, but this might be from a selfish point of view because I hate Alazakam be able to use the unreliable Focus Blast, let alone a move that can't miss. Combined with Magic Guard and Life Orb, it'll be extremely lethal, possibly overwhelmingly so. Maybe I'd change my mind if more Pokemon learnt Shadow Sneak or Sucker Punch.

*points to Bug/Steel types*

If Alakazam cares about that (he seriously shouldn't be coming in on any Scizors anyway, for fear of STAB super effective U-Turn, which most Scizor carry and love using lately,) he can always use HP Fire. Genesect isn't released yet, no Forretress in the right mind is going to stay in on an Alakazam for anything that isn't spinning and Durant is lol.

Hence why I suggest a Psychic-themed fire move because HP Fire only hinders his speed (not to mention players who hate using Hidden Power in general).

I'll have to say no, but this might be from a selfish point of view because I hate Alazakam be able to use the unreliable Focus Blast, let alone a move that can't miss. Combined with Magic Guard and Life Orb, it'll be extremely lethal, possibly overwhelmingly so. Maybe I'd change my mind if more Pokemon learnt Shadow Sneak or Sucker Punch.

he'sbalencedotuby his crummy deenses Alakazam is best for takig otu thins fast not for the long fight... Besides I think AS should be more common whats the difference between AS and FB? FB is prettu muc a stronger AS...

It would be an extremely minor, perhaps even insignificant change.

Poor Alakazam's rather iffy main STAB means that three coverage moves are almost a necessity for more offensive sets to make any kind of headway. This stifles one of Alakazam's biggest advantages, which is the tasty buffet of disruptive moves (Taunt, Encore, Disable etc) at his disposal. You're forced to choose between one of these, Substitute (which helps with his frailty), and a setup move for the fourth slot, or suffer terrible coverage. If it weren't for Alakazam's glass constitution, perhaps this wouldn't be such an issue.

Alakazam craves a good two move combination that would give him move moveslots to abuse in each set, Hidden Power just doesn't cut the mustard (especially paired with Psychic).
Aura Sphere's a better move to be locked into on a Choice/Trick set at least than Focus Blast.

Poor Alakazam's rather iffy main STAB means that three coverage moves are almost a necessity for more offensive sets to make any kind of headway. This stifles one of Alakazam's biggest advantages, which is the tasty buffet of disruptive moves (Taunt, Encore, Disable etc) at his disposal. You're forced to choose between one of these, Substitute (which helps with his frailty), and a setup move for the fourth slot, or suffer terrible coverage. If it weren't for Alakazam's glass constitution, perhaps this wouldn't be such an issue.

Unfortunately, your opponent will destroy your substitute by one hit - after barely setting it up - if he/she is too smart on switching out Pokemon.

Unfortunately, your opponent will destroy your substitute by one hit - after barely setting it up - if he/she is too smart on switching out Pokemon.

That's more or less why you need a disruptive move like Encore to use Substitute to it's full potential. Or at least have another slot free to set up a Calm Mind after forcing a switch and subbing. Alakazam doesn't have the move-slots to do either very well, and that Pursuit weakness hurts.

I'd be all for it. If anything though, I'd like to see Alakazam get Blizzard and Thunder.

he'sbalencedotuby his crummy deenses Alakazam is best for takig otu thins fast not for the long fight... Besides I think AS should be more common whats the difference between AS and FB? FB is prettu muc a stronger AS...

Focus Blast has just 70% accuracy, which puts a lot of people off using it. Since Aura Sphere can't miss and 90 power is still high, it would get far more usage. Alakazam can also use Life Orb without any HP loss, which would give his AS almost the same power as a FB.

But, as I said, it's just a selfish preference of mine, because I've been caught off-guard by the random Focus Blast users in the Battle Subway far too often. I believe giving too much type coverage to a Pokemon can actually remove strategy, (I hate Hidden Power for that reason) and Aura Sphere would give Alakazam a much more reliable counter for Dark and Steel-types.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom