• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So do you think that the next games on the 3DS will use 3D models instead of Sprites?

Will they do away with sprites?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 25 40.3%

• Total voters

Articwolf10

Reaction score
So.. I was wondering... do you think that GF will switch to 3D models when they make the leap to the 3DS? I honestly think they will what with the Pokedex3D and all it would seem pointless to make all those fancy models and never use them... and let's face it the sprites are getting old with the 3DS nearing PS2 level graphics there is no reason for them not to do away with sprites...

Re: So do you think that the next games on the 3DS will use 3D models instead of Spri

Maybe. I think it would be cool. I'd love to have a game like that. One thats a main series game!

Re: So do you think that the next games on the 3DS will use 3D models instead of Spri

Well they did go through all the trouble to make the Pokedex 3D I actually see them making the switch this Gen... possibly this year with Grey...

Well they did go through all the trouble to make the Pokedex 3D
What trouble? Pokédex 3D was developed by Creatures, which is the company that has always developed the 3D models. So what if a handheld system was involved this time? Dash used 3D models for its playable Pokémon way back in 2004, and yet all the DS games that have been released since have used sprites. Besides, Pokédex 3D doesn't even have data for all the Pokémon, since Creatures clearly hasn't finished updating the old models yet.

I actually see them making the switch this Gen... possibly this year with Grey...
That's nothing more than wishful thinking. There is absolutely no reason to believe that such a substantial change would be made for anything but a brand new generation.

Black and White are DS games that not only use sprites, but also animated ones. Clearly, some people have a problem with that so they'd like to pretend that this generation is actually all about the 3DS. But why would Game Freak let all their efforts on the animations go to waste, only to have 3D models become the standard even before Generation VI? What point would that serve?

How, prey tell, do you even expect battle compatibility to be retained with 3D models involved? The battles would be completely different than they are now.

Last edited:

Imagine if they made a BW game in 3DS

Personally, I would love to see the characters in 3D. 3D version N would be lovely

I actually see them making the switch this Gen... possibly this year with Grey...
That's nothing more than wishful thinking. There is absolutely no reason to believe that such a substantial change would be made for anything but a brand new generation.

Black and White are DS games that not only use sprites, but also animated ones. Clearly, some people have a problem with that so they'd like to pretend that this generation is actually all about the 3DS. But why would Game Freak let all their efforts on the animations go to waste, only to have 3D models become the standard even before Generation VI? What point would that serve?

How, prey tell, do you even expect battle compatibility to be retained with 3D models involved? The battles would be completely different than they are now.

Can't agree more.

In fact, BW's battle visuals system was created with some thinking of stereoscopic 3D. There are a lot of zoom-in/zoom-outs and the fact that the backsprites are not only full, but the animations are extremely well taken care of tells me that they did have something in mind. In fact, I think that in a Grey for 3DS, some problems regarding the jaggies in the sprites due to the changes of their native sizes will cease to exist. I imagine they could utilize better zoom-out algorithms for the front-facing Pokémon, and the back-facing one will not require as much of a zoom-in, due to the fact that the stereoscopic 3D will take care of giving out the desired effect.

In effect, in a similar placement to the one we've had in BW (and pretty much since RGBY), the player's Pokémon will appear closer to his eyes, while the opponent Pokémon will seem further away.

This is a very interesting effect that has to happen for once. The traditional my-Pokémon-bottom-left/your-Pokémon-upper-right fits very well with the stereoscopic 3D, and this is a reasonable good visual feature update for Grey.

I too believe that Game Freak will opt to switch to 3D by the next Gen6, and I imagine the battle presentation will be much different to the traditional. It's not impossible the camera will play to emulate the traditional placement, but I believe (or at least hope) that it will be more free, showing more angles of the battle. The 3D console games' camera is the least to expect -- I'd actually prefer something more in the veins of the original PBR trailer.

What would be best would be the camera system of the original PBR for important battles (Gyms, Rivals, and so on) and something more simply and most importantly fast for the "every day" battles. Would be a sweet extra if the player could (at least optionally) be able to move the trainer a bit around the field during the battle.

For the record however, I did vote 'Maybe', because Masuda has clearly shown a preference to 2D graphics -- he stated that their sticking with sprites in BW was a choice, in an interview for Black and White.

Quite honestly -- as much as I like sprites, I think the series desperately call for an update of the battle visuals, and sprites can't exactly offer that. I'd be the happiest person if they had sprites as well, for the Pokédex and the like. It would be pretty classy if they did. But for the battles and, most of all, the overworld, 3D graphics are required at this time.

On the B/W screen it would just send the data of "X used Y", etc etc, and would show in sprites. On the Grey screen it would show the full updated battle, but with the same data being sent back ("X used Y"). It could pretty easily be done. If the actual game mechanics aren't changed, the numbers can just be transferred back and forth between systems and the rest ignored.

I'm not certain if they'll jump to 3DS for Gray, but I do think that when they do switch to the 3DS they will be using 3D models. The 3DS models are much higher quality than the ones in the games with 3D models. If they don't put that much effort into the paid games, why in the world would they put so much effort into making 3D models to just give away for free? That makes no sense. They have to be used for something, and the jump into 3D would be the perfect thing. I can imagine drawing thousands of sprites a game must be exhausted on the few 2D artists that work there.

Not really, Masuda explained how much he preferred sprites as art, so the only thing that'll be in 3D models is the environment.

I don't see what the frenzy over 3D models is. If you wanted the pokemon to be more lively, the animations sort of achieved that. It hasn't really enhanced the console games other than being a special effects bonanza. I will agree, however, that should they make a game for the 3DS, the sprites will no longer work, for it would be like the effect I have heard of from 3D releases of 2D movies. It looks like a bunch of cardboard cutouts. They may have to use models to pull off the 3DS's gimmick well. Until then, I see nothing wrong with sprites.

They should test it with the Stadium games first or something similar.

As the 3DS is equal in terms of the PS2/NGC in terms of graphics they caan just use the Stadium/Collo/PBR style battles.

Id like to see them move to 3D models instead of sprites in Gen 6. I do not think that will happen this generation, but should happen when the main series moves to the 3DS. Iwould honestly want to see that for Gen 6, if hey stick with sprites only and theres no 3D models, I and many other fans will probably be very disapointed. Masuda might prefer sprites as art and chose to use them for B/W but that dosent mean he wont change his mind in the future for future games. I personally feel that when the main series is on the 3DS, it needs to use 3D models, thats just my opinion.

Not really, Masuda explained how much he preferred sprites as art, so the only thing that'll be in 3D models is the environment.

I prefer the look of sprites as well, doesn't mean that he won't be overruled by the rest of the team when they consider the workload for pre-made 3D models vs. the workload for thousands of sprite frames and the push for actual 3D.

I don't see what the frenzy over 3D models is. If you wanted the pokemon to be more lively, the animations sort of achieved that. It hasn't really enhanced the console games other than being a special effects bonanza. I will agree, however, that should they make a game for the 3DS, the sprites will no longer work, for it would be like the effect I have heard of from 3D releases of 2D movies. It looks like a bunch of cardboard cutouts. They may have to use models to pull off the 3DS's gimmick well. Until then, I see nothing wrong with sprites.

With a 3D model, you can endlessly rotate, zoom in, zoom out, and animate it however you want very, very easily. For every new angle you see a sprite, it has to be redrawn.

No, I don't think they'll replace the sprites.

No, I don't think they'll replace the sprites.

Why not? As people have said sprites aren;t praticle... it takes way to much time to draw. 3D models are easier to do and since the 3DS has PS2 level graphics they have no reason not to... I think Gen V will be the last Gen with sprites.The Handhealds are slowly catching up to the consoles in terms of graphics... Hell the next system (4DS?) might even be on par with the PS3/Xbox360

The Handhealds are slowly catching up to the consoles in terms of graphics... Hell the next system (4DS?) might even be on par with the PS3/Xbox360
You mean the system that will allow players to travel through time? I have it, and let me tell you, it's pretty overrated.

The Handhealds are slowly catching up to the consoles in terms of graphics... Hell the next system (4DS?) might even be on par with the PS3/Xbox360
You mean the system that will allow players to travel through time? I have it, and let me tell you, it's pretty overrated.

I have no clue what the next CHandheld will be 4DS was just a wild guess... But seeing how the Graphics of the 3DS are now equal to the PS2 so slowly but surley the Nintendo handhelds are catching up... besides Masuda might like sprites as an art but Sprites just aren't praticle anymore... 3D models can do everything the Sprites can do and they are far easier to make and at least IMO look better

I have a 3DS and a Xbox360... The Xbox's graphics are amazing at least to me... and the 3DS is very imressive for a handheld a maor step up form the DS... There is no reason to use sprites anymore when they move to the 3DS... with a grapahics engine equal to the old NGC they can easily do Collo style battles

He was joking with you because the 3DS is called that because it uses 3D graphics, and you called it the 4DS, as in it deals with the fourth dimension, time, therefore it would let you travel through time. You missed the point entirely of the joke, lol.

But Nintendo has never been up to par on graphics, as much as I love them. Instead they make up for it by being incredibly innovative and not just another system with higher processing capabilities. The graphics were never the selling point for Nintendo's products.

I have a 3DS and a Xbox360... The Xbox's graphics are amazing at least to me... and the 3DS is very imressive for a handheld a maor step up form the DS... There is no reason to use sprites anymore when they move to the 3DS... with a grapahics engine equal to the old NGC they can easily do Collo style battles

He was joking with you because the 3DS is called that because it uses 3D graphics, and you called it the 4DS, as in it deals with the fourth dimension, time, therefore it would let you travel through time. You missed the point entirely of the joke, lol.

But Nintendo has never been up to par on graphics, as much as I love them. Instead they make up for it by being incredibly innovative and not just another system with higher processing capabilities. The graphics were never the selling point for Nintendo's products.

I know I just edited my post XD... yeah they aren't up to par with Sony and Microsoft but they are the most trendy of the systems but they are definitly getting better the 3DS is up to par with the PS2 at least and thats increadible for a handheld

If they ever stopped using sprites for the handheld games...it wouldn't really feel like a Pokemon game. That's one thing that shouldn't be changed. 3D graphics are fine for the console games, just not for the handheld games.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom