• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW069: Barrier Breakthrough! Climb The Tower Of The Sky!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Playerking

Not-well known member.
Reaction score
From Newtype

「難関突破!天空の塔を登れ!!」
米村正二 西田健一 尼野浩正 志村泉

Slowkingsley at Serebii posted it.

Summary from Sushi.

On the way to Icirrus City, Ash and his friends run into Stephan. They form pairs with one of their partner Pokémon each to participate in the "Bell of Wishes Festival", where they have to get though various competitions.

Summaries, kindly translated by Sushi.

"On the way to Icirrus City, Ash and his friends reunite with Stephan. Hearing that there will be a "Bell of Wishes Festival", they all decide to participate in it. In this festival, Trainers form a pair with one of their partner Pokémon and partake in various competitions. The winner gets the right to ring the "Bell of Wishes", which is said to grant any wish. Ash and Pikachu are determined to win.

The Item-Borrowing Race starts, but what they have to look for is a Thunderstone... if Pikachu touches it, it will evolve into Raichu...!? In the following Impersonation Contest, Iris has to turn into Professor Juniper! Cilan manages to impersonate Elesa perfectly, but for some reason there are catcalls? Ash and his friends make it through several difficult and odd tasks, but behind them, Psychic Reiji (who seems to be a girl), accompanied by an Elgyem, smiles boldly..."

Last edited by a moderator:
It's real.

And Stephan's back! Hell to the mother....... yeah!

Hope he battles Ash.

Hmmmm. A cooler title would be "Breaking The Barrier! Scale The Sky Tower!" Oh well...

Last edited:
Stephan? Who's that? Ah, it's Kenyan...I see.

Good to see him back. No Fuuro makes me sad though.
Well, each one has a partner Pokémon? Wanna bet it will be:

Satoshi - Pikachu
Dent - Yanapp
Iris - Kibago

I hope I am wrong.

Screenplay: Shōji Yonemura
Storyboard: Ken'ichi Nishida
Assistant director: Hiromasa Amano
Animation director: Izumi Shimura

hopefully Ash uses Tepig or swadloon and it evolves! Perfect match to counter Stephans Sawk or some new kick ass pokemon! I love competition episodes, always interesting!

What the hell happened to Tomioka? It seems like he doesn't write episodes on a regular basis anymore.
A reason for the regress of the anime's quality?

But I am glad that Shimura is animating this ( I have to write something positive ^^; ).

The summary makes this sound like a 'wacky hijinks' kind of episode with it's mention of partnering up for festival competitions, which would be great. But if that's the case, then man, of all the settings they could've chosen, they opt for the tower of dead pokemon? That's kinda dark, guys! :p

Also, nice to see Ms. Shimura getting another episode. She got SO much better over DP that it's actually kind of sad that she's not been on the show much since this series began.

From Newtype

「難関突破!天空の塔を登れ!!」
米村正二 西田健一 尼野浩正 志村泉

Slowkingsley at Serebii posted it.

Summary from Sushi.

On the way to Icirrus City, Ash and his friends run into Stephan. They form pairs with one of their partner Pokémon each to participate in the "Mirror of Wishes Festival", where they have to get though various competitions.
Icirrus City, huh
So Ash won the Gym Battle.
I wonder what kind of competition they gonna enter ?

Kenyan~! Hooray for rival development who isn't Bel! The episode's "Mirror of Wishes" thing reminds me of Battle Frontier's Pokémon Orienteering.

What the hell happened to Tomioka? It seems like he doesn't write episodes on a regular basis anymore.
A reason for the regress of the anime's quality?

I dunno, didn't Tomioka write that godawful Trubbish episode? Maybe he's not being as diligent about quality control for the other episodes, or maybe the entire staff is on an extended vacation and fanfic-writing interns are getting paid under the table to do their duty while keeping the real writers' name in the credits and... I mention this goofy theory way too much but as time goes by it feels more and more possible. @_@

Stephan's reappearing? Um... woo? I'll give the guy one thing; he's more interesting than Trip as a rival. I just wonder how many times they're going to run that name pun into the ground again. You could make a drinking game out of that gag. Speaking of Trip, isn't he due for another appearance by now? I guess it's better to see one recurring character than none at all, though...

The name of the competition makes me think of a "hall of mirrors" sort of setting like the kind you'd see in a carnival. But taking place at the Celestial Tower? That place that's a Pokemon graveyard in the games? With all those evil soul-sucking Litwick? Seems a little inappropriate, doesn't it? Then again, the anime does like to warp game settings to suit their filler needs, so I guess I can't be too put-off. So long as they don't make the Celestial Tower all bright and happy or an actual carnival attraction... maybe it'll be like the ghost race part of DP's summer academy arc and everyone has to race to the top of the tower and ring the bell to win.

Sweet, Kenyan is back! He's such a fun character. And Satoshi and Kenyan seem to be working together too. I know a couple of regulars who will be thrilled with this news :3

Summary from Sushi.

On the way to Icirrus City, Ash and his friends run into Stephan. They form pairs with one of their partner Pokémon each to participate in the "Mirror of Wishes Festival", where they have to get though various competitions.

Just a minor correction. It's "Bell of Wishes Festival" (願いの祭り). Mirror is 「鏡」not 「鐘」. I don't see anything on the Celestial Tower, except for the possible reference "Tower of the Sky" (天空の塔).

Sounds like a fun episode actually. Kenyan is a fun enough rival, better than Trip at least.

Not particularly a massive fan of Kenyan myself (he's just okay in my opinion) but as said before, it looks like it will be a fun episode. Especially wondering what the competitions will involve.

F**king finally one of the rivals reappears. Like, holy shit, besides Bel we barely see any of them.

I'm kind of dissapointed that this isn't really the Tower of Heaven, just a tribute. It would be really cool to see finally a Pokémon graveyard in animé, but alas...

Writer of this episode is same one as some of Shinji's and Jindai's episodes, Langley's debut and Kengo's last episode. Also the Rotom filler and Mojumbo filler episode. And DP's evil Togepi episode. So... I have no idea how should I feel about this, but I guess great would be a good idea.

Also @Shinneth, Tomioka wrote Kenyan vs. Iris episode too, so... yeah. :I.

Edit: Sorry, didn't watch the Mojumbo episode.

Last edited:
It's about time that the writers are bringing back the other recurring characters in the series. I felt that Stephan would have been the first one to return after Trip and Bianca, since he is the only one left remaining that is one of Ash's rivals. I am hoping that the writer of this episode will have Stephan decide to use a partner pokemon that we have not seen him use so far. I would be very annoyed if he ends up using his Zebstrika, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom