• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things in Pokemon that don't make sense

Someone probably metioned this already, but Female Mr. Mime, Kingdra, and Slowking. I thought Mr.'s/Kings were always Male. :0

Someone probably metioned this already, but Female Mr. Mime, Kingdra, and Slowking. I thought Mr.'s/Kings were always Male. :0

Seaking and Kingdra can get away with it... Mr.Mime however has no exuse... it was a total fail on GF's part...

Seaking and Kingdra can get away with it... Mr.Mime however has no exuse... it was a total fail on GF's part...

"Mr." being in a Pokemon name is stupid anyways, let alone a Mime based Pokemon. It's more like a clown then a mime, it's not black and white and it can talk. Make any since? No. Maybe if there was a Ms. Mime? Like Nidoking/Nidoqueen. But No, after 1st-2nd Gen, they made the most retarded and thoughtless discisions. They HAVE to know that was a stupid name, they go through so much debating about every detail in a game I'm sure, not too mention all the beta testers and major critique. How could they let something like that slide? Anyways, a clown pokemon? A clown related name (Or a name isn't based of anything real-world at all, as I would personally prefer for all Pokemon) would be much more logical. Especially considering the clown nose.

Anyone mentioned a certain historical warlord having a Mewtwo?

I also had a hard time with this so I came up with the fact that probably Celebi brought Mewtwo into the past somehow either that or some other type of time travel prehaps Dialga.

The entire fact about Pika. After 4 regions of training, gym challenging, and league tournaments - he loses to a friggen' rookie trainer.

How bout when I talk to my Onix in Soulsilver and 'Rocky' is apparently rolling around in the grass. I always get this terrible image of my trainer and a hoard of Pokemon are running for dear life while a rock snake is flattening wildlife and nobody cares.

Ash's constant age.

/thread
If you watch DragonBall Z, you'll notice that, despite the fact that the battles appear to be happening in "real time," they're actually happening too fast for the eye to see. They are simply "drawn out," or shown in detail, so there's something for us (the viewers) to watch.

Now consider that the anime is based off of the video games, and that in the video games, one can finish the main storyline easily in under 24 hours. That means that their player character has traversed many grasslands, caves, and seas, in under a day. If you can do it, why can't Ash? Take into consideration how many times its actually shown that day passes into night--not very many. There's even an episode significantly into the DP seasons where James says they've only been in Sinnoh a few weeks (dub, not sure about original).

Basically, each episode is only a few minutes long in "real time" (not "anime time").
That's something else.
How could a monster go inside a boy's ball?

Kinda wish you chose a different wording, but they are either turned into energy and stored digitally inside the PokeBall, or they are shrunk down to fit inside.
I always thought of it that "tall grass" and "caves" and "water" and such entered you into a virtual reality, where you'd find Pokemon, which are just data. PokeBalls are USB drives, so they can store a Pokemon of any "physical size" because they're all the same size in data. This is why you can store them in computers.

But that's just my mind rambling. x3
Anyone mentioned a certain historical warlord having a Mewtwo?
Celebi/Dialga/spin offs are not in the same canon as the main series games/Mewtwo does what he wants cuz he's Mewtwo.

Now what I want to know is...well, forget it. Nothing about Pokemon makes sense when you think about it.

Bug has the strangest strengths..Grass is sort of understandable, but psychic and dark...wtf

Bug has the strangest strengths..Grass is sort of understandable, but psychic and dark...wtf
Psychic's weakness are based on common fears, which bug is, and Dark types can't trick bug types because their so simple and are caught off guard by this.

pokemon like Beedrill that are clearly flying but do not have Levitate or some other immunity to ground types, and flying on a small bird

More like a fail on Nintendo of America's part. Mr. Mime's Japanese name is Barrierd, which has no honorific in it whatsoever. Seaking's Japanese name is Azumao which doesn't have the word King in it too. Kingdra's Japanese name is the same.

More like a fail on Nintendo of America's part. Mr. Mime's Japanese name is Barrierd, which has no honorific in it whatsoever. Seaking's Japanese name is Azumao which doesn't have the word King in it too. Kingdra's Japanese name is the same.

Mr. Mime is clearly masculine though.

If you watch DragonBall Z, you'll notice that, despite the fact that the battles appear to be happening in "real time," they're actually happening too fast for the eye to see. They are simply "drawn out," or shown in detail, so there's something for us (the viewers) to watch.

If you watch DBZ, you'll notice time passes between arcs and the characters age overall, and that can only really go for Friezas's "5 minutes" deal. And who cares about DBZ since Ash and friends don't move that fast.

redsapphire said:
Now consider that the anime is based off of the video games, and that in the video games, one can finish the main storyline easily in under 24 hours. That means that their player character has traversed many grasslands, caves, and seas, in under a day. If you can do it, why can't Ash?
Conservation of detail for the games whereas the show has no such luxury because it shows everywhere they need to go to stretch out episodes.

RedSapphire said:
Take into consideration how many times its actually shown that day passes into night--not very many. There's even an episode significantly into the DP seasons where James says they've only been in Sinnoh a few weeks (dub, not sure about original).

Every episode that's not a two-parter has Ash and "friends" wandering off into the sunset promising to never see some filler character(s) ever again. And Ash always spends 2 months of filler "training" for each league. Even if you went for a generous 6 months per region instead of each taking a year (which is fairly reasonable since Ash walks everywhere), that should still make him older than 10 freaking years old.

Redsapphire said:
Basically, each episode is only a few minutes long in "real time" (not "anime time").
lolno

You can't excuse Ash never aging when it's mentioned in the Kanto saga that a year has passed since he started his journey and yet he's still 10.

Legendaries. Specifically the ones meant to be unique as in only one exists: I have atleast three Mewtwos right now, possibly four and getting another Mewtwo when I finish my FireRed run. Do I consider that a time paradox at all?

If you watch DBZ, you'll notice time passes between arcs and the characters age overall, and that can only really go for Friezas's "5 minutes" deal. And who cares about DBZ since Ash and friends don't move that fast.
The characters in DBZ age because there are actual time-gaps between seasons. That does not happen in Pokemon.

Every episode that's not a two-parter has Ash and "friends" wandering off into the sunset promising to never see some filler character(s) ever again. And Ash always spends 2 months of filler "training" for each league. Even if you went for a generous 6 months per region instead of each taking a year (which is fairly reasonable since Ash walks everywhere), that should still make him older than 10 freaking years old.
In season one they tended to walk off into the sunset. Starting in the Hoenn episodes, that rarely ever happened. And I can't remember any recent seasons where it actually says that Ash spent months off-screen training. Do you have any examples?
You can't excuse Ash never aging when it's mentioned in the Kanto saga that a year has passed since he started his journey and yet he's still 10.
Are you sure that was in Kanto? In the Pikachu and Pichu Brothers short, Ash is celebrating his 1 year anniversary with Pikachu...but the mini movies are NOT canon to the anime, much like almost all movies aren't canon to the anime.

Speaking of the anime...Pikachu didn't OHKO Trip's Snivy or Cress's Panpour. That fact bothers me much more than Ash's vampiric state of never-aging-ness.

Are you sure that was in Kanto? In the Pikachu and Pichu Brothers short, Ash is celebrating his 1 year anniversary with Pikachu...but the mini movies are NOT canon to the anime, much like almost all movies aren't canon to the anime.

I just checked and it's a dub line from episode 63. I didn't know it was absent in the original.

The characters in DBZ age because there are actual time-gaps between seasons. That does not happen in Pokemon.

Ash and friends do not move at the speed of light like all the Z people. (Which would be "anime time" as you called it) and unlike DBZ whereas each arc or saga takes place in like five days, each standard filler episode is roughly a day.

RS said:
In season one they tended to walk off into the sunset. Starting in the Hoenn episodes, that rarely ever happened. And I can't remember any recent seasons where it actually says that Ash spent months off-screen training. Do you have any examples?

I am not going to give examples because this can be seen at the end of every "filler" episode and plenty of non-filler ones. The few that don't end in sunset would still end late in the afternoon where you can't fit in another filler episode and why would it? The "off-screen" training isn't offscreen either. Ep. 64-75; somewhere between AG110 and 125 (iirc)and at least 2 weeks between AG124/125

Relatedly; EP031: "Several months have passed since the first episode". AG132 "Ash mentions that a few months have passed since he first met May and Max." Timeline of events in the anime - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

RS said:

Why aren't the movies canon?

Pokeballs being throw to send them out when the makers could had them be beamed out in the same way they are returned. It is a huge plot hole. What do they run on to the battle field sounds dangerous especially when you are fighting a crime boss instead of your rival. They never show how they get the ball back. Do they run real fast do they get a teleport? do they work like boomerangs? In one episode of the show it shows a pokeball going back to someone's hand like a boomerang BUT THAT WAS WHEN CATCHING a Pokemon which not only is a different scenario but also goes against every other time a Pokemon is shown to be caught. So having a series go this long and never explain it when there is a logical alternative is bullshit.

Why aren't the movies canon?

The characters act as if the movies never happened, with the exception of the Lucario movie (where aura is mentioned in the anime and the entire basis of an episode). Some movies are canon to each other (the DPP trilogy for example), but just like the main series games aren't canon to the spin-offs and aren't canon to the manga, the anime and movies (again with some exception) aren't canon to each other.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom