• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which female protagonist had the best role in a movie?

Which female character had the best role in the movies?

• Misty

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • May

Votes: 44 63.8%
  • Dawn

Votes: 29 42.0%
  • Iris

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
I'm going to go with May. Even though Ash did steal the spotlight away from her near the end of the movie, which still kind of bothers me, I still think that she had best role. Dawn's role in the tenth movie puts her in a close second since she was involved in the action during the climax of the movie, but I prefer May's role. May was important for the movie's plot, regardless of how they turned the attention on Ash again, while Dawn was mainly important for the climax of the first DP. Both are important roles, but I think that May's role is better and shows off more of her character. I did like how Dawn played an active role in the first DP and I also thought it was too bad that she didn't have as much significance in the rest of the movies. She really didn't bond with Shaymin anywhere near as much as May did with Manaphy or Max did with Jirachi. If anything, Ash was the one character in the main cast that bonded with it.

Misty would be third since she didn't really do much in the movies beyond saving Ash in the second movie and battling against Molly in the third, even though we don't see her entire battle. It's way too early to tell how Iris will be handled in the movies, but if her role on the series is any indication, I doubt that she'll have a role in one of the BW movies like May and Dawn did.

I'll have to say May because of her bond with Manaphy. The others had good roles too though. (Except Iris but she's only been in one movie so far so I'm cutting her a break.)

It's odd that Misty was never given much spotlight in the movies.

Movie 1: Misty doesn't really do anything in the movie.
Movie 2: she argues with Melody but is not involved in the climax or the action involving the birds. Even TR had a bigger part in the climax.
Movie 3: She battles Molly which was fine.
Movie 4: She doesn't do anything in this movie.
Movie 5: She wins a race in the beginning of the movie and then does nothing for the entire rest of the film.

I would probably go with Misty. If anything because while she my have got less focus than May or Dawn in movie she actually contributed a lot to overall appeal. Her bickering and arguing with Melody over Ash, and outbursts of jealousy added that extra spark and flavor to character dynamic in second movie.
She also played significant role in classical heroic sense because of saving Ash life and indirectly influencing whole story, being interesting to see character being brave and caring enough to take things in his hands.
If he wasnt saved from drowning, there would be no chosen one who would save world and stop three legendary birds from going on rampage.

Sometimes less is more,and i think Misty had better impact on plot than other girls had.

My second choice would be May and her part in 9th movie. She established close bond with Manaphy and it was touching to see her taking role of mother to pokemon with their goodbye being tearful and sad. It was testament to character growth too,when taking in account how she didnt cared about pokemon at all in start.

However seeing her taking backseat to Ash who as usual saved the day, and cowardice not doing anything to help kidnapped Manaphy by pirate didnt left exactly best impression out there on me.

Last edited:
Easily Dawn had the best role in a movie. It actually felt like the series had two main protagonist that were of equal status and I truly liked that. Sadly though, this did go down as the movies went on. Still, even M11 had her in a pretty good role.

After that its May, and her role in M9. The thing I didn't like though was that she wasn't important for the climax, being usurped by Ash. I can somewhat forgive this because they probably wanted a true parallel to M6 and Max, so both Max/May had equal time with Jirachi/Manaphy and neither sibling was more important than the other in their own movies.

After that its Misty. Misty had a few good spots like the entertaining Melody stuff and saving Ash in the Power of One movie, and the good battle that she had with Molly in Entei's movie. Other than that though she didn't contribute anymore than Brock did imo, save for the opening of Pokemon Heroes.

Iris is still new, and could still get a possible role, but its doubtful to be honest. I doubt that the latest Kyurem movie will focus on her, considering how the spotlight is back to being fully on Ash.

And Misty's role, basically bickering with Melody, was a good one? Not only does this account to less than 10 minutes of screentime of the movie, (if you combine the scenes back to back), but Misty didn't really do anything to stop the legendary birds from fighting or go with Ash in the climax of the movie at all.

Although I'll agree Dawn's role in Movie 10 was fine. Too bad her screentime was reduced in the next DP movies.

And at the end of day, she did dive into the water to save Ash. So she did do something at the end.

May? May got shoved into an escape capsule, and then just stood there as Ash saved Manaphy.

I hate movie 9. Four movies and the best they can do for May is a Misty/Togepi redux in a reenactment of movie 6? Bleh.

May got jipped, as a May fan I can say she got jipped. What good is screen time if sucks?

Last edited:
In regards to Movie 9 I agree it was a little bit infuriating for Satoshi to steal the spotlight in the very last second. The previews for the movie gave the implication is that Haruka would have an even larger role than she already had and it was a little bit jarring to see NONE of the preview scenes used in the movie at all... I still prefer her role in a movie as opposed to the other girls' though, because there was a lot of solid development and focus.

I enjoyed Misty in Movies 2 & 3. She may not had done things for a long time, but she was actively supportive in what she did do. She jumped in the water to help Ash in 2000 and battled Molly in the 3rd.

May comes second as I enjoyed her role in the Manaphy movie.

It seems strange that the final movie for a generation wound up being the smallest role for each female aside from May. After the opening credits, Misty did absolutely nothing for the entire duration of the 5th movie. And in the 14th movie, Dawn was pretty much on the sidelines for the whole time.

If Dawn's role was kept simialrly to the 10th movie, she probably would have been the biggest role of all the movies.

Last edited:
"Which female character had the best role in the movies?"

My list, from the best to the worst:

1. Hikari
2. Kasumi
3. Haruka
4. Iris

Ofcourse, there is some unfairness in my list. Kasumi had five movies, Iris is only appeared in one movie, etc...

Ofcourse, there is some unfairness in my list. Kasumi had five movies, Iris is only appeared in one movie, etc...

5 movies in which she does next to nothing in 3 of them, and only has a small role in the other two. I know Brock's role in the movies was just as bad, but we're only talking about the females here. I'm surprised they actually had Misty/Brock battle Molly in Movie 3, its like the only time they battled in the movies.

5 movies in which she does next to nothing in 3 of them, and only has a small role in the other two. I know Brock's role in the movies was just as bad, but we're only talking about the females here. I'm surprised they actually had Misty/Brock battle Molly in Movie 3, its like the only time they battled in the movies.

For supporting character Misty had pretty good role in second and third movie. In "Power of one" she plays important role in saving Ash life indirectly influencing storyline, and brings good dynamic and comedy thanks to bickering and increase of tension which existed between her and Melody.

In third movie she battles Molly and helps Ash along with Brock to hold Molly and buy him some time until he finds Dehlia.

In 5th movie she didnt did much,but sh did competed in Alto Mare race which is more than i can say for Brock.

Given how writers werent experienced like they are now, and how Misty wasnt co-star but supporting character she got pretty good role in movies where she was given opportunity to shine.

Its about quality in here,not quantity.

Dawn obvious got the most having some pretty good role in 10th movie and while i liked Mays part in 9th movie and Temple of the Sea,fact that Ash stole spotlight saving in end day and Mays passiveness to incident when pirate stole Manaphy ruined enjoyment for me.

I will give Iris some break,given how she was present for only on movie.

I'm not even going to lie, I did enjoy Misty's battle in the third movie because the animation was pretty cool, and goldeen was used despite the fact that it lost. The sad part is that was really one of the only few decent battles Misty had. I also liked the idea that they really didn't reveal whether she won or not, one could assume she didn't, since Ash ended up battling Molly, but it was a nice collision between Staryu and Mantine. I personally always liked Misty's Staryu because of its design and movements....but anyway.

Misty's sublot was in Pokemon Movie 2000 was also very funny and well written I thought, because she did save Ash's life(but I took it as a sign of their friendship, nothing shipper related), and her bitterness towards Melony was funny. It was cool to see them come to a truce in the movie as well. Misty had better roles than Brock did, I'll definitely give her that.

May should take it hands down though. I mean, she actually bonded with a Pokemon and got so emotionally attached to it, that she became teary eyed when they departed. Doesn't this show character development considering when May first started she disliked Pokemon? Just saying

I'm not even going to lie, I did enjoy Misty's battle in the third movie because the animation was pretty cool, and goldeen was used despite the fact that it lost. The sad part is that was really one of the only few decent battles Misty had. I also liked the idea that they really didn't reveal whether she won or not, one could assume she didn't, since Ash ended up battling Molly, but it was a nice collision between Staryu and Mantine. I personally always liked Misty's Staryu because of its design and movements....but anyway.

I agree with that. I also liked that it was an underwater battle, something we don't see very often in the anime. The only other time was in "Just Add water" at the end of Johto.

That was probably Misty's best battle in the anime, it helped that the movie animation is better than the regular show.

Well of course May had the best movie role out of the four female companions, she was the main focus on Movie 9. Dawn comes second due to how she and Ash are always paired up to solve a conflict.

I'd say May. She bonded with alot of the legendaries like Ash did.

Well, I liked her role. She wasn't in the background where no one paid attention to her like they did with poop Tracey.

Dawn and May.

Same here. At least those two were likeable and had tangible goals that they progressively worked toward. Misty and Iris are just so whiny, and they don't really feel like competent battlers to me. Even though Misty is a gym leader, she just came across as unjustly arrogant to me.

Back
Top Bottom