• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GameStop DP/PBR tournament July 21

Argy

∠(>w<) #634
Reaction score
GameStop stores in the United States are having a DP tournament via PBR on Saturday, July 21. The winner of each tournament wins a copy of PBR and a T-shirt.

Info here.

Interesting. I already have PBR and don't particularly want a Pokemon T-Shirt (I'm too old to go around advertising it), but I'm curious what the "special gift" is. Something via Mystery Gift, maybe? Might show up just for that. Wonder what time it starts...

Do you have to already have PBR to enter? I don't have PBR nor do I have a wii ^^;

I wish I knew what time this would be happening. I have to work that evening.

Very interesting, I will inquire with one of the Gamestops holding this and see what they say about the free gift being given out.

I am so gonna enter. I just have to call today to find out the time and how the level balance is gonna work.

Besides, this is probably the US Darkrai event.

I called my closest GameStop and the guy said they wern't doing it. :-( I really wanted to see my team on the big screen/ BR, too.

I'd love to enter, but I won't, for two reasons:
1. I don't want angry parents glaring at my 26 year-old self playing against their kids. xD

2. The store would probably disqualify me because I have close to 999 super repels, and more shinies than I can fit in three boxes. :/ If you look at this quote from Pokebeach, you'll see that the rules are pretty stringent:

Pokebeach said:
I called eight Gamestops in my area to find out the rules for the Pokemon Battle Revolution tournaments next Saturday, and I had mixed results. One Gamestop (and multiple people on the internet, who have also called their Gamestops) confirmed that it would be double battles, 2-on-2, level 50, with no Pokemon above [HASHTAG]#490[/HASHTAG] allowed (Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus). It apparently will also depend on the store if they want to have double battles or single battles, and if they want to ban any additional Pokemon (such as legendaries). Three other Gamestops I called stated that participants would not be allowed to use their Diamond or Pearl, even though their website states for you to bring your game, and that people would be using rental Pokemon from the game instead, including additional rentals Nintendo had sent in. Two other Gamestops had canceled the tournament, even though they were still listed on the website, and the rest did not even know the rules yet because they had not read the paperwork (but they would know by Friday, since, you know, that's helpful to people who want to train Pokemon over the next week). Next time Nintendo wants to sponsor an event, or Gamestop wants to hold one, they should make it publicly available what the rules are so that people can devise their strategies and teams in advance. :)

Even though three Gamestops I called said that rental Pokemon would be used by all participants, the common story on the internet by people who have called across the nation is that you will use 4 Pokemon, and that the store gets to choose if it is double or single battles (as well as who and what they want to ban). Since the levels are set to 50, it is suggested that you train a Pokemon to be level 50 or higher, since Battle Revolution can automatically raise or lower your Pokemon to level 50 (if you are below, you lose out on some EVs, though, which influence your stats when PBR raises your level). The best advice is to call your local Gamestops and find out what they are doing, along with IF they are doing the tournament.

As for people who have used Action Replay or Gameshark, or people who might be mistaken for having used one, Nintendo sent all Gamestop stores specific instructions on how to detect if someone has cheated. The employees have been told to check your bag and boxes for cheated items and Pokemon, specifically if you have too much of a single item (such as more than 3 Master Balls, 999 Max Repel, etc.), or many shiny Pokemon. If you have Darkrai, Shaymin, or Arceus in your PokeDex (but do not use them), they are instructed to "closely" watch your matches. If you have any of the three Pokemon at all, you are disqualified. Of course, there are ways to legally meet some of the conditions above that Nintendo and Gamestop consider to be "cheating," so be sure to explain yourself and stand firm if you did something legally, but they are accusing you of cheating. With the PokeRadar able to allow trainers to catch so many shiny Pokemon in the wild legally, and Nintendo of America probably not aware of this recent discovery, Gamestop may accuse you of having altered your game if you have several shinies. DocRobot, our forum mod, spent one full day using the PokeRadar, and was able to catch over 10 shiny Ralts, and there are similar videos on YouTube of people doing the exact same feat. If you are one of these people, be sure to explain.

If your actual Pokemon are altered, in terms of their stats, the attacks they have, etc., you will be disqualified on the spot. Of course, if you have never cheated on Diamond and Pearl, you probably should have nothing to worry about. ;)

Great, I have the entries, AND my friend gave my pokemon Pokerus. Why do I ever listen to myself?

1. I don't want angry parents glaring at my 26 year-old self playing against their kids. xD

I know! Seriously, age is a real issue when it comes to attending these events....

If Darkrai is the free gift, I'm going to tear the head off a Pikachu doll. :evil:

Also, WTF? It's hella easy to get 999 Max Repels without cheating. O_O

2. The store would probably disqualify me because I have close to 999 super repels, and more shinies than I can fit in three boxes. :/ If you look at this quote from Pokebeach, you'll see that the rules are pretty stringent:

I know! Seriously, age is a real issue when it comes to attending these events....

If Darkrai is the free gift, I'm going to tear the head off a Pikachu doll. :evil:

Also, WTF? It's hella easy to get 999 Max Repels without cheating. O_O

I'm feel you both there. I'm 19 and I'm 6'3"...I look a little bit older than 19 and I really feel some odd glares at events...

I doubt this is Darkrai...I bet it's just a cool event pokemon...gah! My closest GameStop is 20 minutes away! And my inlaws are in town ^^

Ah well. Just called both game stops in my area and neither one is holding it. What a bummer. :p

Dammit...the gamestops in my area are not holding it, but the one like 400 miles away down the street from where I go to college IS.

WHY didn't I go to summer school? WHY?!

Of course, like some of the rest of you, the parents would get pissed at teenage me for PWNing their babies. Although, I really don't look 19 years old, and maybe I could slip by...people ask me if I'm still in high school all the time...the other day someone guessed my age at 15.

Well...good luck to anyone who decides to/is able to enter. Be sure to let me know what the "special gift" is. (I'm going to kick my own butt if it's something really cool.)

Wow, Nintendo of America should realise by now what the Pokeradar can do, and I thought PBR changed hacked Pokemon into bad eggs anyways, so what's the problem? And I didn't realise that beating the elite 4 hundreds of times to aquire the money to buy 999 of something was suddenly considered cheating.

I could,'t go to this even if I wanted to. I live in Canada. They need to hold more of these types of things here. They had Yugioh tournaments in a mall near by when it was popular, and even Beyblade and Battle B'Daman, why not Pokemon?

I wish I could get that Pokétopia t-shirt. It looks pretty neat.

and I thought PBR changed hacked Pokemon into bad eggs anyways
Maybe for some obvious cases, but I'm pretty sure that it is possible to do a hacked Pokémon so good that it won't be detected.

Besides, this is probably the US Darkrai event.
lol yeah right ...

Last edited:
Wow, Nintendo of America should realise by now what the Pokeradar can do, and I thought PBR changed hacked Pokemon into bad eggs anyways, so what's the problem? And I didn't realise that beating the elite 4 hundreds of times to aquire the money to buy 999 of something was suddenly considered cheating.

I could,'t go to this even if I wanted to. I live in Canada. They need to hold more of these types of things here. They had Yugioh tournaments in a mall near by when it was popular, and even Beyblade and Battle B'Daman, why not Pokemon?
I don't have to battle the E4 a bunch of times for all that money, lol. The two rich trainers en route to the Pokemon mansion give me all the earnings I need. xD

I don't have to battle the E4 a bunch of times for all that money, lol. The two rich trainers en route to the Pokemon mansion give me all the earnings I need. xD
Yeah, battling those two yields more money in the same time as fighting the E4.

The nearest to me is 4 miles away, in a mall. So, I hope to convince my parents to go there for all my summer school supplies.

I'd actually laugh if I find myself the only one in the store that is old/EV trains. Hopefully, the parents won't stare at me if I do attend.

*Prepares his Blissey for the SkarmBliss combo to kill the others*

Yeah, I figured that out real fast. Ever since I had first gotten the Vs. Seeker, I had been keeping a very keen eye out for which Trainers gave out the most money, and they turned out to be it. You can easily OHKO both of their Pokes, and with an Amulet Coin or Luck Incense, it's almost the same as cheating.

FAR more profitable than beating the E4 when you consider that time is money.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom