• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mispronounced Names in the Pokemon World That Annoy You

I've only ever heard "MAW-wile" (like in the word while), so that's how I say it.

It's a combination of "maw" and "wile" (as in wily). Similarly, the Japanese name, Kucheat, is a combination of "kuchi" (mouth) and "cheat".

When I was a kid I pronounced Leaf Stone as leave stone lol

Lilligant................everyone I meet pronounces it wrong XD

When I was little there was two that always got me.

Quotes from 6 yr old me:

Look! A Rattattattattat (self explanitory)

OMG, a Catorpie (Cat-or-pie)

I always pronounce Sceptile as skep-tile, Kyogre as kai-ohrg, and Raikou as rai-koo. I don't consider them wrong though. -diva-

arceus. my friends pronounce it ar-see-us, i pronounce it ar-kee-us like they do in the movie.

My dad pronnouncing Pikachu's name as (Pyka-shoo) annoys me alot... It's supposed to be "Pee-ka-choo".

It's a portmanteau of (ピカピカ pikapika) electric crackling and (チューチュー chuchu) sound of squeaking.

I wanna shove my dad on a japanese class if he keeps that up.

arceus. my friends pronounce it ar-see-us, i pronounce it ar-kee-us like they do in the movie.
That's not exactly a mispronunciation... see the trivia on Arceus (Pokémon) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
It has been pronounced three different ways, all in official sources. I personally pronounce it "ar-kee-us", but not because of the movie (never saw the movie)... I've always called it that because to me that's how it looks like it would be pronounced based on the spelling.
But if you want to get as close to the original Japanese name as possible, it'd be "ar-say-us"

Hmm... let's see... I call "Excadrill" "Ex Calibur" sometimes (not really a mispronunciation)
I used to (and sometimes still do) call "Raikou" "Rai-cow".
I pronounce "Moltres" as "Mole-trace" (like the Spanish pronunciation of "tres"... I don't think this is wrong but I have heard it pronounced "Mole-tress" in the anime before)
I think I've heard "Suicune" pronounced as "Soo-ee-koon" instead of "Swee-koon"
And here's one... "Warturtle" instead of "Wartortle". Everyone I knew including myself was convinced it was "Warturtle" until my sister pointed out that there was an "o" in there, lol

I pronounce "Reshiram" with a Japanese "a" sound, as opposed to how they said it in the movie, which uses the English "short a" sound. It's based on the Japanese "レシラム", people! レシラム!

Unfortunately, I, too, used to pronounce the name of a Pokemon wrong. I was a stupid kid back then, though. Who in their right mind pronounces Suicune "Soo-ih-sin"? My sister still does it, just to annoy me.

I heard someone pronounce Bayleef as Bailiff once. Ugh.
I can't judge, though. Before the gen with Phanpy was released, I was following a site that spoiler'd it as Phnaphy (fuh nah fee). And to this day that's how I say it. Drives some of my friends nuts.

I heard someone pronounce Bayleef as Bailiff once. Ugh.
I can't judge, though. Before the gen with Phanpy was released, I was following a site that spoiler'd it as Phnaphy (fuh nah fee). And to this day that's how I say it. Drives some of my friends nuts.
Haha, bailiff.
I always pronounce "Phanpy" as "fan-fee". No idea why.

I pronounce "Reshiram" with a Japanese "a" sound, as opposed to how they said it in the movie, which uses the English "short a" sound.

I dislike 'Reshiram's' official pronunciation. Who wants to compare something like that to some dumb old ram?

Arceus and Aggron. I pronounce them as "Ar-kee-us" and "Ay-grahn", which is how they were pronounced in the anime and movies. All my friends pronounce them they way the look. I don't mind Arceus too much, but Aggron is killing me...

I pronounce Ursaring as Ursa-rang. It just seems more natural to me.

Being Norwegian and generally avoiding the anime there's a chance I pronounce a few newer Pokèmon-names wrong (I never did quite figure out how Arceus is pronounced) so I'm just gonna say the word Pokèmon itself.
I've seen this mispronounced so many times, worst of all if its for a commercial for the anime or games themselves, making it seem like the narrator just didn't care. I've heard it pronounced as:
Pokeeemon (direct norwegian pronunciation, which sounds just wrong)
Pokeyman
Pokèman
Pokmun (the e and the second o were almost impossible to hear)

I sometimes call Tropius 'Troph-ius' by accident even though there isn't a 'h' in it. But I get annoyed when people call Ho-Oh 'Hoo-ooh', and when people call Regice 'Regi-ice​'.

I sometimes call Tropius 'Troph-ius' by accident even though there isn't a 'h' in it. But I get annoyed when people call Ho-Oh 'Hoo-ooh', and when people call Regice 'Regi-ice​'.

How do you pronounce Regice? I thought its English name was the same as the Japense one.

How do you pronounce Regice? I thought its English name was the same as the Japense one.

The anime has actually given two conflicting pronunciations for Regice: the Japanese pronunciation Regi-ice was given in the eighth movie, while Reg-ice was given in the anime series proper.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom