• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The How Much Japanese Music Is Kept In The Dub Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant you guys just accept change?

Absolutely, as long as it's good. But the thing is, there shouldn't even be any change when it comes to the anime besides the voices being translated from Japanese to English. Everything else should be left intact. I'm very, very, very disappointed in TPCi, especially since they were off to such a fantastic start.

Considering they are doing an ancient practice that virtually no company does anymore,other than for 4kids. Makes these changes even more jarring

Does anybody know what song plays in the final episode of Diamond and Pearl where Ash and Brock part ways?

Does anybody know what song plays in the final episode of Diamond and Pearl where Ash and Brock part ways?

It's an unreleased piece from the 3rd Movie Short "Pikachu and Pichu". It is an instrumental ballad version of the song "Friends' Anniversary".

Here's a theory maybe the reason Season 15 is back to D/P standards is because maybe later on in this batch of episodes in Japan will have the older music which TPCi doesn't have "all the rights" for.

^Last I check the latest episodes don't have older music.

Here's a theory maybe the reason Season 15 is back to D/P standards is because maybe later on in this batch of episodes in Japan will have the older music which TPCi doesn't have "all the rights" for.

I could see them using the older music soon, since black and white 2 has older pokemon, it would make sence

Nope. Best Wishes only has all new music for the series along with music from Movies 12 and 13.
The BGM from the previous 4 Gens and Movies 1-11 have all been discarded (Team Rocket's Sinnoh Motto Theme being the only exception) to give Best Wishes a brand new feel to the series.

It's kind of a pipe dream of mine, but it would be nice if some of the BGM from Movies 10 and 11 would be used. The series would still kinda have that fresh feel to me. It's kinda like the usage of Shunsuke Kikuchi's Score from Dragon Ball/Z. As the series progressed, Z began to rely on Movie music while using some of the BGM from the original Dragon Ball. What I'm saying is that it would be cool if Best Wishes had some of the music from the first 2 D&P Movies.

Last edited:
^ I'm with you except I'd include music from the beginning of the TV series (including movie music) that has been used rarely.

But in any case, I'm pretty sure by "later on in this batch of episodes" Lord_Mewtwo means episodes in this "Rival Destinies" season that Japan hasn't gotten to yet. Maybe, like, by the time the Poison gym leader Homika appears, and there's clear B2/W2 advertising.

A Call for Brotherly Love kept 7 out of 15 pieces, which is slightly "better" than last week's episode.

Last edited:
Now watch as the atmosphere in the Kami trio episodes get obliterated by TCPi's music replacements. :-/

A Call for Brotherly Love kept 7 out of 15 pieces, which is "better" than last week's episode.

Better? Only slightly. This is an utterly disgraceful effort from TPCi. Regardless of their continually poor efforts, I do have high hopes for the Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus two parter that is coming up. Still, some improvements MUST be made over the two part Riolu special, including not just keeping all original background music and keeping all of the original silence, but getting rid of the downright awful opening theme and ending theme music and actually keeping the excellent original opening and ending theme songs and the accompanying animation (I wouldn't have a problem with it if they translated it into English, but TPCi, 4Kids kept Japanese vocals in the ending theme to the sixth movie, and this is 4Kids we're talking about.), plus the eye-catch, seeing as Japan brings back 'Who's That Pokémon' in those episodes, so they might as well just keep the original version rather than making their own crappy version, and the Professor Oak's Lecture as well. Come on TPCi, that's a whole extra minute of Jimmy Zoppi dialogue.

Of course, these changes MUST be permanent. The dub went back to their normal standards after the two part Riolu special. When I first watched 'Where No Togepi Has Gone Before!', I actually thought that TPCi finally decided to be good. No. This time, they need to dub the episodes perfectly (As in being faithful to and respecting the original version), and then keep doing it that way.

Anyway that's my thoughts about this. I hope TPCi does the right thing. It's what us Pokémon fans have been wanting for several years now.

Last edited:
Hasn't it been established that the music changes are due to contractual agreements with the dub music producers. TPCI doesn't have their own dubbing or music department so they need outside sources to produce the theme song and do the dubbing of the show. Maybe since they use the theme song Rave Music produces, they have to use their BGM they produce also.

A Call for Brotherly Love kept 7 out of 15 pieces, which is "better" than last week's episode.

Better? Only slightly. This is an utterly disgraceful effort from TPCi. Regardless of their continually poor efforts, I do have high hopes for the Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus two parter that is coming up. Still, some improvements MUST be made over the two part Riolu special, including not just keeping all original background music and keeping all of the original silence, but getting rid of the downright awful opening theme and ending theme music and actually keeping the excellent original opening and ending theme songs and the accompanying animation (I wouldn't have a problem with it if they translated it into English, but TPCi, 4Kids kept Japanese vocals in the ending theme to the sixth movie, and this is 4Kids we're talking about.), plus the eye-catch, seeing as Japan brings back 'Who's That Pokémon' in those episodes, so they might as well just keep the original version rather than making their own crappy version, and the Professor Oak's Lecture as well. Come on TPCi, that's a whole extra minute of Jimmy Zoppi dialogue.

Of course, these changes MUST be permanent. The dub went back to their normal standards after the two part Riolu special. When I first watched 'Where No Togepi Has Gone Before!', I actually thought that TPCi finally decided to be good. No. This time, they need to dub the episodes perfectly (As in being faithful to and respecting the original version), and then keep doing it that way.

Anyway that's my thoughts about this. I hope TPCi does the right thing. It's what us Pokémon fans have been wanting for several years now.

What the hell??? there are so many things wrong with you're statement

first, Ending and Opening Scene's can only be 30 seconds!! okay??
Second, why would tcpi leave the japanese song in??? what 10 year old is going to understand it???
Third, Tcpi has to remove the silent scene's because the american audience is different from the japanese audience

And tcpi cant add any oak's lecture because it would be taking away commercial time away from cartoon network, i have honestly never seen a anti dub extremist like you're self, you're even trying to bend all the tv agreement laws just to please you're self, without a thought in mind that tcpi make's these edits to appeal to children not you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to the often heated back-and-forths that occur within this thread between certain individuals, this thread is now going to be closed. It has worn out its welcome for discussion on BGM kept and despite in-threads warnings, official warnings and infractions, it is clear that those are ineffective.

From now on users may:

- Post how much music was kept within a dub episode in that particular episode's review thread (this includes past review threads).
- Discuss any of the music in that particular episode in the review thread, whether it be dub BGM or not, or a piece that was replaced.

Discussing TCPI's general practices on replacing BGM will not be allowed in review threads. There will however shortly be a new thread created in The Pokémon League concerning the act of replacing music.

If anyone has any questions, comments or concerns, do not hesitate to contact me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom