• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Better than Normal- A Normal Monotype RMT

Plumbum

Ambitiose sed Ineptum
Reaction score
So, since I joined up here, I thought I'd spread over my best team so far, and I'd try and further improve it. Please note that this is made according to Pokémon Online's specific Monotype tier, and as such contains some unreleased Dream World abilities (Impostor) and an unreleased Dream World pokémon (Meloetta)

424.gif
113.gif
474.gif
398.gif
648.gif
132.gif

424.gif

Ambipom ("Slapper") w/Life Orb
Ability: Techician
EVs - 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe, Adamant nature
Fake Out
Double Hit
Low Kick
U-Turn

I use slapper here to run anti-lead, running as a lead to disrupt and kill opposing leads. Fake Out is used to break enemy sashes and Sturdy, whilst Double Hit is the STAB option of choice. Low Kick is used to cover resistances of Normal attacks (and it's variable power is covered by it's Technician ability) and U-Turn is used to GTFO and build momentum, since it's final moveslot is basically filler anyway. With this set, provided Ambipom survives the opening, it can be used as a revenge killer with it's +3 priority Technician-boosted Fake Out or used as one of the team's physical attackers.

113.gif

Chansey ("Eggy Bread") w/Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs - 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spe, Bold nature
Softboiled
Seismic Toss
Aromatherapy
Toxic

Eggy Bread is our chosen wall for this set. Between her massive HP, Eviolite and Defense EV investment, Eggy Bread can actually act as a physical wall as well as the special wall she is usually seen as, taking neutral physical hits surprisingly well. She's mostly used as a Wall +1 to most other walls, wearing them down with Toxic and healing status with Natural Cure or Aromatherapy, whilst still being able to dish out damage with Seismic Toss. Softobiled is the mandatory recovery for any wall.

474.gif

Porygon-Z ("Ditzy Duck") w/Life Orb
Ability: Adaptibility
EVs - 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe, Modest nature
Tri-Attack
Dark Pulse
Hidden Power (Fighting)
Agility

Ditzy Duck is a monstrous special attacker, only held back by it's poor Speed and Defenses. The aim is to come in on something that Ditzy scares off, nab an Agility boost and go to town. Ditz also has the the as-of-yet unresisted Dark-Fighiting coverage to hit anything that resists Tri-Attack supereffectively. Simple as. Note that Dark Pulse and HP Fighting should never be used unless the target is more than a either 4x weak to them or resistant to Tri-Attack and weak to the coverage move as a neutral Tri-Attack will do more damage than a 2x super-effective HP Fighting or Dark Pulse.

398.gif

Staraptor ("Angry Bird") w/Choice Band
Ability: Reckless, although Intimidate can be used to grant switch-in opportunities.
EVs - 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe, Adamant nature
Brave Bird
Double-Edge
Close Combat
U-Turn

Angry Bird is, great at hitting hard and fast, however always be aware when using Angry Bird that with Reckless and Choice Band boosted recoil moves, it may well damage itself as much as it's enemy. Be warned about using Double-Edge or Close Combat if you know any enemy Ghost-types are around, as being choice locked into a Normal or Fighting type move can give those Ghosts time to set up. As a choice-locked pokemon not in need of it's 4th slot, U-turn is goven a nod for running away from counters

648.gif

Meloetta ("Singstar") w/Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs - 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe, Modest nature
Thunderbolt
Hyper Voice
Psyshock
Hidden Power (Fire)

Singstar is on this set a pseudo-mixed attacker - since Psyshock attacks the enemy Defense rather than it's Special Defense. It takes advantage of Serene Grace to boost whilst still attacking as Charge Beam has a 100% chance to boost under Serene Grace. Hyper Voice is the STAB option on this set, and Psyshock is what makes this set potent as a mixed attacker, even with it's Base Power of 80. Hidden Power Fire rounds out coverage for this set, hitting Steel-types that would otherwise wall it.

132.gif

Ditto ("You") w/Choice Scarf
Ability: Impostor
EVs - 252HP, all others irrelevant.
Transform

The revenge killer in Dream World tiers, You is best to take out boosted threats that otherwise pose a massive threat to your own team, and turn that tide against them. You is especially effectve against Dragon and Ghost monos, as they are weak to their own STABs, although specific usage notes are impossible, since You is anything from Garchomp to Terrakion.

So, what of it? I see above me a mononormal that has all bases covered, some good offense and defense, although very obviously more geared to the former, and takes good advantage of Normal's great offensive coverage to really dish out the hurt. But what do you think?

Importable here:
Slapper (Ambipom) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Double Hit
- Low Kick
- U-turn

Ditzy Duck (Porygon-Z) @ Life Orb
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Tri Attack
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Agility

Angry Bird (Staraptor) (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-turn

Eggy Bread (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Aromatherapy
- Toxic

Singstar (Meloetta) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Fire]

You (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Transform

Last edited:
Not only do you use hacked/cheat pokemon but you neglected to notace that this is for online/competitive teams
I assume this is not a competitive team since meloeta is banned.

Last edited:
I am not sure about PO rules, so if they allow Dream World sets in Monotype, then I guess it's so. In fact, I remembered facing a team with Keldeo (a Water-type team) in the Monotype tier. Still, this team would be eligible in the Dream World tier.

So, for the team. While there's Staraptor to discourage Fighting-types (a must because it's a team of Normal-types) and Meloetta, for some reason I felt Conkeldurr would be trouble, because it could use Mach Punch on Staraptor. Maybe Meloetta is better at defending against Conkeldurr since it has less Special Defence. Besides that, it looks like a pretty solid team that covers its bases, as you have Porygon-Z for those Ghost-types, which would be bad news to several of your members. However, I am not sure but, do you need to have three Choice users? That sounds like it's too much for a team.

That's it for now.

Just to resolve that little matter: yes, DW abilities and unreleased Pokemon are allowed in PO's Monotype tier. I know. I've been fighting there with a mono-Dark team for some time.

Not only do you use hacked/cheat pokemon
As he said this is for PO, where "hacked" pokemon (which there can't really be because it's a simulator) are allowed so long as they remain within the tier's rules (in this case, unreleased DW abilities).
but you neglected to notace that this is for online/competitive teams
(Don't try to say this is a competitive team since meloeta is banned)
you can re-post this team Here
This is a competitive team. It says right at the top that it's for PO's monotype tier, in which Meloetta is not banned. If you had read the full post and followed the link, you'd know that. SharKing just explained it, I think, but I already typed out so I'll just post anyway.

oops...
I followed the link but I guess I missed that part... How did I miss that! It was the first thing said!
wow
I failed actually... Meloetta isn`t even on the ban list! Aw... I feel stupid...
well then.
I like the team.
Ditzy duck looks amazing but do you have a reson for using tri-attack because I never thought it was a great move.

Last edited:
So, for the team. While there's Staraptor to discourage Fighting-types (a must because it's a team of Normal-types) and Meloetta, for some reason I felt Conkeldurr would be trouble, because it could use Mach Punch on Staraptor. Maybe Meloetta is better at defending against Conkeldurr since it has less Special Defence. Besides that, it looks like a pretty solid team that covers its bases, as you have Porygon-Z for those Ghost-types, which would be bad news to several of your members. However, I am not sure but, do you need to have three Choice users? That sounds like it's too much for a team.

Yeah, Conk's half the reason I might go Psychic rather than Psyshock.

As for the three Choice users, yeah I think it might be a tad much, but it just seems to get results for some reason. Perhaps because nobody in the world expects Meloetta to be scarfed. I actually only used to have the two, You and Angry Bird, but Singstar's speed tier is agonising. Perhaps Life Orb on Angry Bird instead of Band, but it does already kill itself fast enough with Reckless Brave Bird/Double-Edge and a SR weakness (Since the only spin support one can have on Normal is Spinda or Smeargle, neither of which I like and Spinda being objectively crap.) but Ditto needs the Scarf to be the single best revengekiller in the game.

Ditzy duck looks amazing but do you have a reson for using tri-attack because I never thought it was a great move.
It's Ditzy's most reliable STAB move.

Even though there are Scrappy Pokemon, do you consider them to be worthy? The only ones who learn good Fighting attacks are Kanghaskan and Exploud, although maybe you won't rely on Exploud since its only main selling point is it having the best Special Attack stat among the Scrappy Pokemon (seriously, the others have very low Special Attack!). Not that I am suggesting a replacement for having any Ghost attacks or Dark attacks, but I am asking you just to know your opinion.

Thanks for reading.

I find them a tad underwhelming, tbh. SubPunch Kangaskhan does have it's use in flatening Sableye if it already has it's sub up, but other than that, they have very little value over the mons I already have because of disappointing base stats making them outclassed (Meloetta > Exploud for example)

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom