• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S15 EP14: Crisis at Chargestone Cave!

Iteru

Something
Reaction score
BW62 - Crisis at Chargestone Cave!http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/BW062

Continuing on their journey, Ash and his friends come near the Chargestone Cave which has electrically charged rocks. Thinking that its great for Pikachu, Ash looks at him and sees him collapse! A Joltik is on its back and sucking out the electricity within its body. Thinking that Stunfisk and Emolga can replenish its electricity, Cilan and Iris send their Pokémon out only to see that two more Joltik have sucked out their energy from within their Poké Balls! Why are they doing this and will the three Electric-type Pokémon be okay?

Oh, Iris, we already knew you're full of bull. Competent Bianca is still somehow enjoyable.

The start of Bianca's increased competence, it's as if her desire to continue traveling after her dad tries to bring her back home has boosted her confidence that she can take care of herself.

Oh, Iris, you must actually enjoy calling Ash a kid for you to call him out when you don't know anymore about the Chargestone Cave than he does. :rolleyes:

Really disappointed since they almost ruined the evolution scene, thanks to the extremely dull music replacement. Anyway, it might take some time to get used to Crustle's voice, it's kind of lighter than the original.

Still, cannot forget this cutest moment:
1ta878.png

I thought the "t" in Crustle would be silent, like in Castle. Oh well. I may as well enjoy Crustle's awesomeness.

Is it just that it's a while since I've heard them or did Juniper and Bianca sound wrong to anyone else in this episode?

As I think I said around the time of the Japanese airing, I don't like how Crustle evolves - especially as they took the time in this episode to explain how a different evolution works. Cilan got Dwebble while it was carving out its rock, but when it evolves the rock changes with it?

I have the same problem with Timburr - how can something that is held by a Pokemon and obviously separable, to the point of being able to be replaced, be changed by the evolution process?

Sure in the Games you can't expect too much (though a held item evolution would be nice), but in the anime where Dwebble's rock already has been a plot point, the fact it went unnoticed during the evolution just seems odd - especially in an area with totally different rock formations (whereas in the mines of the last episode the rock looked like a Crustle).

As for the rest of the episode - it's a nice look at the way Pokemon need to draw from nature, something I like seeing used as a plot point.

Something I really don't like is Team Rocket doing their motto to generic background music rather than their theme, it just makes it seem drawn out and boring. I know it happens in the Japanese version too and the dub follows their lead, but it just adds more to the tedium of TR in BW. Their plot being stealing some electricity charged rocks isn't exactly interesting either. But, the episode that surrounded it was reasonable, so I can ignore a few minutes of getting the Team Rocket stuff out of the way.

A big 'you don't say' at Jessie's 'evolution means nothing to us!' - at least they are consistent on something.

Don't tell that to the Red Gyarados...

It's all about context. When they mean, "evolution means nothing to us", they obviously mean they don't care that their opponent just got a boost in power, they'll win anyway.

Honestly, sometimes I think Pokémon fans don't take context into account at all, like all those times levels get mentioned, they assume that it's the actual video game mechanic being mentioned and not the figurative sense.

But enough about that, this episode was alright, but I was expecting more squeeing over Joltik. I mean, this Pokémon is basically part hamster.

Well, I guess you would call that a standard episode but nevertheless the plot was quite decent and we got to see a few interesting things:
First, I found it nice that Juniper had an appearance again. This time she almost reminded me of a detective when she was trying to solve that mystery surrounding Chargestone Cave.
Also, it was good to see a more competent Bianca at last. I almost thought that girl would never become better. If only she got rid of her strange habit of bumping into other people...
However, I didn't quite get why all the Joltik and Galvantula were driven out of the cave considering that Team Rocket didn't really mine that many stones. Judging from Jupiter's map, I think Chargestone Cave is big enough for the Pokemon to just go somewhere else. Having them flee and attack innocent Pokemon instead felt a bit forced and awkward if you ask me.
Finally, I don't want to say much about the Pokemon that were featured today. I actually don't like spiders because of their six feet making them look ugly, so Joltik and Glavantula will probably never really grow on me, either. What I liked, though, was the fact that Excadrill proved to be very powerful today, that we got to see an evolution and that learned about evolution exchange with the last one serving as a nice transition to next week's episode.

All in all a decent episode.

I think that it was worth it to watch this whole episode just so I could see the scene where Cilan screamed out "It's evolution time!" Classic.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom