• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

How come some of the PM articles, mainly Isamu Akai's Clefairy and so on, start the article off with "Clefairy" instead of "Isamu Akai's Clefairy"? I looked at other manga Pokemon articles, such as Hareta's Empoleon, and saw that it started with "Hareta's Empoleon" instead of just "Empoleon". Was this intentional?

I think it might be mainly because in PM, the Pokemon are given a lot more personality than in the other mangas (at least from what I've read), as such they are their own characters, more then just a Pokemon belonging to one

If that were the case, Clefairy's article title would be "Clefairy (Pocket Monsters)", not "Isamu Akai's Clefairy".

Besides, other manga Pokemon have gotten a lot of character development, and their articles still start as "____'s ____". Magical Pokemon Journey's Pokemon articles come to mind.

I already posted over there, but I thought I should sound off over here too, since it's relevant.

I think we should use the "tt" template to add rōmaji to instances of Japanese alongside translations/trademarked (Japanese) names. For something like the Snag Machine's page, it has "スナッチマシン Snatch Machine". I'm thinking of using the tt template to provide the rōmaji whenever someone mouses over the Japanese text, since a translation/English equivalent is already provided directly after (making it {{tt|スナッチマシン|Sunatchi Mashin}} ''Snatch Machine''). The rōmaji would be completely hidden until someone moves their mouse over the text, so it shouldn't be an invasive addition. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I already posted over there, but I thought I should sound off over here too, since it's relevant.

I think we should use the "tt" template to add rōmaji to instances of Japanese alongside translations/trademarked (Japanese) names. For something like the Snag Machine's page, it has "スナッチマシン Snatch Machine". I'm thinking of using the tt template to provide the rōmaji whenever someone mouses over the Japanese text, since a translation/English equivalent is already provided directly after (making it {{tt|スナッチマシン|Sunatchi Mashin}} ''Snatch Machine''). The rōmaji would be completely hidden until someone moves their mouse over the text, so it shouldn't be an invasive addition. Thoughts?
This has already been put into some pages, and personally, I hate it. I don't understand its purpose when we have the translation next to it, and the tt template is already used for giving the hiragana readings of kanji. Rōmaji looks ugly, especially in cases like "Sunatchi Mashin" where it is obviously "Snag Machine". A while ago I was planning to make a thread requesting we remove the existing ones.

Ok I hope this problem can be fixed, cause its been like this for over a month now. On Bulbapedia when I try going onto a page, it will load up, and then go completely white. I'm not able to view the pages unless I quickly press the stop button before it finishes loading. Is there a way I can fix this? I was hoping at first it was just a site error that would be fixed in a day or two, but this has been way too long. As for the technical info, I use Windows 7 with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.28 (most up to date)

Not sure if this was ever brought up, but I would friggin' PAY for a Bulbapedia app for Android. I'm a member of the URPG and sometimes I like to get on AIM on my phone and battle. Sadly, it takes too long to load the full website multiple times. I would LOVE a fast, quick way to view Pokemons' stats and movesets without waiting forever. I think you guys would get a lot of backing for this idea. :) It would be just like a Pokedex on your phone.

Not sure if this was ever brought up, but I would friggin' PAY for a Bulbapedia app for Android. I'm a member of the URPG and sometimes I like to get on AIM on my phone and battle. Sadly, it takes too long to load the full website multiple times. I would LOVE a fast, quick way to view Pokemons' stats and movesets without waiting forever. I think you guys would get a lot of backing for this idea. :) It would be just like a Pokedex on your phone.

Nintendo of America does not want such apps to be created and have taken measures to take down any apps of a similar nature before. We will not be making one.

Oh really? That's pretty dumb. Do they plan on making one, or did they just rage at the people who made them just to kill the idea?

How about making Bulbapedia multilingual? I could translate lots of pages into Swedish and help translating japanese stuff if that would be of interest :)

How about making Bulbapedia multilingual? I could translate lots of pages into Swedish and help translating japanese stuff if that would be of interest :)

Bulbapedia is already affiliated with several international Pokemon wikis (German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Polish, and Portugese).

Bulbapedia is already affiliated with several international Pokemon wikis (German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Polish, and Portugese).

To create another wiki seems just to big of a hassle. So why not just add the function of selecting different languages on a specific page if it is available? Like on Wikipedia? What harm could it make?

To create another wiki seems just to big of a hassle. So why not just add the function of selecting different languages on a specific page if it is available? Like on Wikipedia? What harm could it make?
The different languages of wikipedia are different wikis. They aren't just automatic translations.

Even then, the wikis that are multilingual (TF2 Wiki comes to mind), their translations aren't automatic and are actually translated by other editors. Editing articles is one thing, but asking people to translate thousands of articles would be asking too much.

Also, does Bulbapedia have a listing of all of the short link shortcuts that are used for Pokemon Pocket Monsters' character articles? I see them used in the articles, but I can't really tell if there's a reference listing for them. And they don't seem to be quite as simple or easy to remember as {{Adv}} and so on.

It is; in fact, it is a template default. I don't think it is a good idea though, since most BW character artwork was done by Ohmura anyway.

Given recent trends in which more art is being drawn by other artists, shouldn't the template simply say something along the lines of: "This is the official art of <character>, released in <game>" with the artist being left out until confirmed?

Also, does Bulbapedia have a listing of all of the short link shortcuts that are used for Pokemon Pocket Monsters' character articles? I see them used in the articles, but I can't really tell if there's a reference listing for them. And they don't seem to be quite as simple or easy to remember as {{Adv}} and so on.
We don't really have any link templates specialized for Pokémon Pocket Monsters. For pages like [bp]Giovanni (Pocket Monsters)[/bp], you'll need to use {{OBP|Giovanni|Pocket Monsters}}.

Given recent trends in which more art is being drawn by other artists, shouldn't the template simply say something along the lines of: "This is the official art of <character>, released in <game>" with the artist being left out until confirmed?
I've modified the template so that all artwork in HGSS and later games requires the illustrator to be set and will not assume, while pre-HGSS still defaults to Sugimori.

Even then, the wikis that are multilingual (TF2 Wiki comes to mind), their translations aren't automatic and are actually translated by other editors. Editing articles is one thing, but asking people to translate thousands of articles would be asking too much.

Well there's this page here. Maybe it will have what you're looking for?

Back
Top Bottom