• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime The Japanese Culture Thread

I don't think it matters too much about the first floor. Although my family had a three story house, the first floor consisted only of the genkan and two rarely used washitsu. I think if its a small family and all of the rooms are on the second floor, its probably quite normal.

Well, that's what I was doing on the first floor. One genkan, two washitsu and some storage rooms to fill filler space. (I won't really be showcasing every single room in the comic, I just needed to fill some space.)

I'm actually happy with the second floor. It's just with the first floor, of spaces needing to be filled, I fear some rooms in the first floor might be a bit too big.

It is true that in japanese schools, girls can't put hair acessories?

I also remember that my friend said that her japanese-language teacher said when someone throw trash in the floor, that person must to go in front of the class and stay naked. O-O

I'm pretty sure that hair accessories are not allowed.... only things like plain elastics are allowed in most schools. I can tell you now that the standing naked thing is completely false.

Adding on to that crazy notion, I'm sure the student would just have to pick up the trash, not stand naked in front of the classroom.

What is the usual dress code for older/elderly women wearing a kimono?

Obviously, plainer designs tend to be more suitable. I was thinking of perhaps just going with a plain, single color and no pattern. Fail at drawing patterns anyway...

Obviously, plainer designs tend to be more suitable. I was thinking of perhaps just going with a plain, single color and no pattern. Fail at drawing patterns anyway...
If I'm not mistaken, there's this thing about the sleeves being shorter than a younger girl's, but I'm not sure if that's the case still in this day and age.

If I'm not mistaken, there's this thing about the sleeves being shorter than a younger girl's, but I'm not sure if that's the case still in this day and age.

Unless you're referring to the Furisode kimono, which I believe is worn when a woman comes of age, then I think most ordinary kimono for women have the same sleeve length, but I could be wrong.

i heard that students have to change their shoes when entering school, can someone explain that?

Taking your shoes off literally means keeps the floor clean. The reasons and significance for this is to have to do with teaching students responsibility and respect. Keeping the school clean is the student’s responsibility.

Japan Dos and Don'ts

Hello everyone. I know we have a lot of threads here that prompt some interesting discussion, but I decided to start this thread up since this is the "Land of the Rising Sun" forum. There's more to Japan than just anime and manga. There's culture too, and we do have a thread for that already, but this one will be a bit different.

I would like to talk about the "Dos and Don'ts" of Japan. What's acceptable and what isn't? What do you think is okay? What isn't? What have you heard was okay or not that you'd like to share so that we may discuss it and why said thing is okay or not okay? You can even base this on what you may have seen in anime or read in manga.

I'll start off with a "don't" that I've always been told...never pour soy sauce over your rice if eating in Japan. I guess if you're in the privacy of your own home, sure, but not when out.

Last edited:
Re: Japan Dos and Don'ts

Soy sauce is disgusting in your rice, but tastes good elsewhere, so I guess they just have good taste :) I do, however, like satay sauce to the rice, and it's the only thing I can put over my rice, but I don't know what they say in Japan about this.

I know that in Japan, you don't walk with your shoes indoors, but I guess part has to do with that you have tatami on the floors. Usually, you don't walk with shoes indoors in other countries either, but a regular floor is often easy to clean. Then, of course, it's not considered very nice to walk with outdoor shoes in a house.

There are also some things you're not supposed to do when you eat with chopsticks. You're meant to grab the food with the chopsticks, so you don't pierce the food like you do with a fork.

One thing I like, is that you can slurp your noodles. My family gets mad at me when I do that, because where I live it's not accepted as it is in Japan.

Soy sauce is disgusting in your rice, but tastes good elsewhere, so I guess they just have good taste :) I do, however, like satay sauce to the rice, and it's the only thing I can put over my rice, but I don't know what they say in Japan about this.
I guess I should've mentioned that you don't pour anything over your rice, if the rice is a dish by itself. For example, a plain bowl of rice...but let's say you have Curry rice, of course you'd mix the curry and rice together.
I know that in Japan, you don't walk with your shoes indoors, but I guess part has to do with that you have tatami on the floors. Usually, you don't walk with shoes indoors in other countries either, but a regular floor is often easy to clean. Then, of course, it's not considered very nice to walk with outdoor shoes in a house.
Yeah. Keep the outdoor dirt outside and the indoor dirt inside. lol The tatami is probably part of the reason like you said, but it's done everywhere, tatami or not. Even going to a clinic or some places of business, visitors have to take off their shoes and put on the slippers provided.
There are also some things you're not supposed to do when you eat with chopsticks. You're meant to grab the food with the chopsticks, so you don't pierce the food like you do with a fork.
This probably depends on the actual food, though, because there are some foods (like a big meatball for example) that's difficult to pick up without "puncturing".
One thing I like, is that you can slurp your noodles. My family gets mad at me when I do that, because where I live it's not accepted as it is in Japan.
Well, in America it's taught that slurping soup is rude. Japan, like you said, it's the opposite. That's something I still have trouble doing...eating ramen loudly. People are usually impressed with how quietly I can eat soup. It's a habit that I've yet to break. lol

I'm ALWAYS barefoot even during the cold Chicago blizzards, so thats one thing I won't have a hard time adjusting to

So I hear in Japan that it is considered good manners to pick your nose, so I'm guessing using a tissue is considered a don't am I correct?

So I hear in Japan that it is considered good manners to pick your nose, so I'm guessing using a tissue is considered a don't am I correct?

.... Who said that? That's just some random rumor. Nobody goes around picking their nose.

They don't like being in debt of one another. For instance, they consider borrowing money as being rude. So for instance, if someone forgets their wallet and doesn't have money to buy lunch, they rarely ask even the closest friend for money - in that sort of case, they'd just skip lunch.

Blowing your nose in public is considered rude, so it's a lot more acceptable to just sniff than it is over here. Haven't heard anything about picking noses, though.

I was always told that you're not supposed to use an umbrella while riding your bike, but I've rarely seen people follow this rule.

Blowing your nose in public is considered rude, so it's a lot more acceptable to just sniff than it is over here. Haven't heard anything about picking noses, though.
Neither have I. Besides, the only people I've ever seen picking their noses have been young kids who haven't really learned how gross a habit it is yet.

Is it true that you need to say: "Itadakimasu!" and "Gochisousama deshita!" before and after every meal you eat?

Is it true that you need to say: "Itadakimasu!" and "Gochisousama deshita!" before and after every meal you eat?
It probably depends on the place and the situation. For example, if you're sitting in your own home, I doubt you "have" to say it. If around other people, or at somebody's home, it's polite to do so, as your host/hostess probably would. If in a school setting, it's a "must". If you're in a restaurant, I'd say it's optional, but if you're with someone else and they do it, the you should too.

Getting down to it, if you're around it long enough, you start doing/saying it out of habit. For instance, if you finish a meal at a restaurant and you're paying for the meal, you can say "gochisosama deshita" to the clerk.

Adding on, it's customary to wait for everyone to be served before eating your own meal.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom