• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do you watch Pokémon?

Ignoring the snobby anti-Japanese tone of the opening post...

Well, I apologize if it seemed that way to you. I had no intention of being "anti-Japanese". I just couldn't find a way to word it better.

When I was little, the only reason why I starting watching it was because all the other kids were watching it. When I watched for the first time, I fell in love with the show and watched it ever since. Now, at 16, I still enjoy it even though all those kids who used to watch it now hate it. For humor, action, and awsome characters, the show keeps me coming back for more.

Another reason is because the show was part of my childhood (Like Sailor Moon was, which I still watch as well). I don't think I need to say more about that statement. ^_^

Because it's an adorable and very funny show and some episodes are really touching.

And it's a show that has a lot of episodes/movies that have made me cry. ^^; Though not in 'I can't watch too much of this if I don't wanna be depressed' like later anime Full Moon o Sagashite can sometimes be.

Most episodes are happy, light, and fun~ though the emotional ones tend to be my favorites.

It's exciting and fun and I love the Pokemon and human characters. <3

Really, the art style reminds me a lot of old anime from like, the sixties and stuff (except with much more consistent coloring and smoother animation), so I guess the nostalgic art style also helps.

The music is also GORGEOUS.

Last edited:
Like many other anime, I just like it, and a small thing like voice changes won't stop me from seeing the ending, though I wish they had their original voices.

I only recently started watching the series again, after a few years of not really paying attention. Nostalgia brought me back for a look, and here are the reasons that I've totally gotten back into it.

First of all, Pikachu is still the cutest thing ever. I'm a 19 year old male college student, and I still can't resist it. Seeing how it's strongly featured in the anime, it's hard for me to turn away.

Secondly, I really thought the voice acting before the changes was done very well. I think May (before the voice changes of course) had the sweetest voice I've ever heard. She's probably my favorite character in the series, though I can't say many other characters are far behind.

That's another reason, I really like all the characters. Probably since it's a kid's show, nearly all the characters, even the villians (Team Rocket) have great determination and kind hearts, and watching that really makes me happy. Plus, all of the individual characters' personal quirks are very funny and enjoyable.

I went through a bunch of episodes from the older seasons, and I was drawn into it enough that the voice changes weren't enough to pull me away from the newer episodes.

I had no intention of being "anti-Japanese".

I like the show as an English dub, with the occasional English edit. I like knowing what was changed, but I don't mind in general that it was changed. Guys who only refer to the Japanese names... well, I understand their reasoning (they prefer the Japanese version), but it's all clicks and whistles to me.

...Quote's not really that relevant, just adding in my two cents.

1-Nostalgia. I was already seventeen years old or so when Pokemon first aired so I didn't grow up with it like a lot of other people did, but it still brings me back. Back then I had a really crappy job working in a grocery store bakery, and one of the things I did to relax after an entire day of dealing with an inept boss and rude customers was to watch Pokemon.

2-It's simple. You can take it at face value, and when I need a break from the seriousness of shows like Full Metal Alchemist or Cowboy Beebop Pokemon fits the bill perfectly.

3-I'm a huge fan of the Pokemon video games, and I enjoy seeing how they use various video game elements (the transport system, the Pokenav, Poketch ect.) in the anime.

4-Meowth/Nyassu. I can't really say what, but there is something about that bipedal talking cat pokemon that I just love.

5-It's entertaining. It's just a fun, entertaining show that lets me forget about the "real world" for a half hour, which is reason enough to watch in my book.

Despite some opprobrious moments (aim for the horn, for example), I've always found the Pokemon anime to be quite a quaint and entertaining show. I watched little of the Hoenn league (despite it introducing one of my new favorite characters in Max) and I skipped the last half of Johto, but it was quite easy to return to the series of events that unfold around Ash and those who accompany him.

Other than being a simple show to follow, I enjoy many of the characters. Brock, Misty, May, Max and Dawn are just a few of the characters that add so very much to the show. In fact, were it just Ash and his annoying antics, I wouldn't be interested in the show as much as I am now. The background characters are what truly illuminate the stories brought of the Pokemon anime for me.

That said, I still don't watch regularly. Pokemon's on at a good time nowadays, though, and I may well get into it with time, but for now I'm fine knowing I can return to Pokemon and the same amusing situations and interesting characters will be engaged in their enthralling adventures.

Just to be simple since all the good reasons have been stated, I watch the show mainly for Ash, the lulz, nostalgia and the Pokémon.

*nod*

I'd still wish that the lovely tone of the universe in the games was reflected better in the anime, but I'll live.

pokemon mystery dungeon...

pokemon mystery dungeon turn me on to watching pokemon and its been that way ever since...

Lots of reasons, I have seen it since I was a kid in junior high, then me, my friends and family (my little brother) played the Gameboy games (Red, Blue, Yellow...). And then cause its simpley a good show (characters, plot, the imagine world of Pokemon etc). Heck, I study at university but still needs a buit of nostalgica from my childhood. :)

I have seen it in 3 dubbed versions, the Danish, Swedish and Italian, however I mainly look at the english version.

I watch Pokemon, well, because of the whole overall. People think of Pokemon as 'kid's stuff' and just fighting and wandering aimlessly. But hey never really watched it, have they?

I love Pokemon because:
1. Pokemon.
Who doesn't like those little critters?
2. The characters.
I love the comedy happening (especially TR!)
3. Ships.
I mean, kids like 7 year olds don't watch Pokemon for this, but older viewers do. It's really why I love Pokemon.

Watched it since I was little.Stopped watching it...Now watchs it because I am bored...But for some reason I can't get away from the fandom.It drags you into to it's cell,does what kyuubi did to naruto[squeezed him with chakra]and hipnotises you.

I don't really know. To be honest, Pokemon is not really a "good show" - even the best episodes post-Orange aren't really worth watching, as they are devoid of interesting plot points, and possess little if any character development. But I keep watching, pulling myself out of bed early in the morning to see the newest eps, and generally enjoying myself. My guess is that a large amount of nostalgia is involved.

It's a bit strange that I watch it, actually. Normally, any anime series with more than 25 (or sometimes 50) episodes doesn't appeal to me because they tend to stretch the whole thing out with fillers that are irrelevant to the overall plot. While that may be true of Pokémon, I think that there are two differences: It doesn't take itself too seriously and it doesn't confine itself to one goal. After 100 episodes of InuYasha, possibly 80 of which Naraku has been in hiding, I found it difficult to care anymore, no matter how much they tried to make me. The laughs also have something to do with keeping me watching. Any scene where Meowth describes a plan to deliver Pokémon to Giovanni is hilarious, especially the one with the Ludicolo from Like It or Lup It.

I suppose I watch because it helps me to relax. You can get into some deeper aspects of it if you look for them, but if you take it at face value, it's very simple and satisfying entertainment.

I don't think I could ever stop watching Pokemon, as I love it too much. There's just something about setting off on a journey and living your dream-- it just struck a chord with me. I first watched it at a critical time in my life, and it reminded me to go for my goals and never give up on my dreams. :) Plus, it's just entertaining and makes me smile. I love most of the characters... even most of the so-called "villains" are quite likable! And now, I guess I have to add the nostalgia factor to it... it reminds me of a lot of good times.

I'm trying to get back into the anime, kind of hard to do since I don't have a lot of time anymore, what with school and everything.

I like it for it. An anime. I like anime >_<

I like it. I'm thirteen right now, but I only started watching last year, so I have tons to catch up on.

4 reasons:

1) Nostalgia (been watching since it first came out)
2) Background Music
3) Watching how the voice actors interpret the voices
4) Character development

I really like how they were able to take the small bit of material that the games give and turn it into a living, thriving world. It also has a lot of humor, adventure, and I like how it allows me to see Pokemon in a more "living" way.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom