• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Could May have won the Johto Grand Festival?

L-05308

Reaction score
One dissapointing thing about DP was not getting to find out how May got on. I'll asume that she, Drew, Harley and Soladad all made it to the grand festival, but how do we think they all did?

She may have won, but I am not sure if we will ever know that. But I suppose we will, eventually.

Doubt we will ever know. Doubt she won it though. If she had they would have shown it surely? Also she was shown in the Wallace cup being inferior to Dawn, who came 2nd in her own Grand Festival. Assuming the Sinnoh Grand Festival and Johto are proportional in terms of strong competitors, and equally hard to get into, I would guess May came slightly lower than 2nd, I think she would make the Top 4.

Considering Solidad was shown to be far more advanced than most of the other coordinators, she probably didn't beat her. So no.

I don't see why it matters now, it's not like we'll ever find out.

Considering Solidad was shown to be far more advanced than most of the other coordinators, she probably didn't beat her. So no.

But, isn't she already a Top Coordinator, thus won't have to compete in another Grand Festival again? I really don't know how it works, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Even though I'd like to think that May won the Grand Festival, I must say no. She probably made it to the Top 2 or Top 4, but I still think she has a way to go before she'll actually win, but judging wouldn't really be fair either since I haven't seen her journey throughout Johto. She could have went through a hell lot of growth and development, which in that case would justify a victory in the Grand Festival.

I don't know, but we'll probably never find out either, unfortunately.

The producers used May going to Johto as a good way of replacing may with a new partner for ash, because of this it was never really a storyline that was or will be followed, so no we wont know. Even if may makes another appearance, I doubt it will be mentioned...

They purposely said Solidad was going to Johto too. Unlike Dawn's rivals, the writers made sure all of May's rivals stuck together.

She may have won a Grand Festival but why would a coordinator stop there? She'll probably want to win one in every region.

They purposely said Solidad was going to Johto too. Unlike Dawn's rivals, the writers made sure all of May's rivals stuck together.

She may have won a Grand Festival but why would a coordinator stop there? She'll probably want to win one in every region.

Well, wanting to win another Grand Festival is perfectly reasonable to me, although I always thought that after winning a Grand Festival you'd automatically become a Top Coordinator. I must've misunderstood.

Then, how do you really become a Top Coordinator? Do you have to win a GF in each region?

Nobody knows and I doubt the writers will ever care to explain. Contests are off the show now its obvious we'll never get a follow up on how May or Dawn did in their respective Grand Festivals.

Doubt we will ever know. Doubt she won it though. If she had they would have shown it surely? Also she was shown in the Wallace cup being inferior to Dawn, who came 2nd in her own Grand Festival. Assuming the Sinnoh Grand Festival and Johto are proportional in terms of strong competitors, and equally hard to get into, I would guess May came slightly lower than 2nd, I think she would make the Top 4.

However, May beat Zoey who was the one to beat Dawn, there are all kinds of variables. Not that I think we'll ever find out but I reckon May could have, she may not have even battled against Drew and the others during the festival, they may have been beaten by other trainers, but I soppose to win, we must assume she can beat the strongest who would be Soladad, I guess.

If her cameo during Wallace Cup was any indication to go by, she had pretty good chance at winning it. We can see May improved a lot during her travels ever since she left cast, which can be noticed in several evolutions like Venusaur, Wartortle or Glaceon going all the way to finals in tournament until she narrowly lost to Dawn.

Her appeals got improved, as well battling skills and i wouldn't be surprised if she managed to go all way through winning whole thing. Or at least coming as runner up.

We already saw she is capable of defeating her rivals, except Solidad and with further improvement i say its not impossible to presume this. Whenever May returns again, i wish we get some info about her journey in Johto, because winning GF is pretty big deal to ignore it.

Nobody knows and I doubt the writers will ever care to explain. Contests are off the show now its obvious we'll never get a follow up on how May or Dawn did in their respective Grand Festivals.

If you win Grand Festival you become top coordinator of that specific region, and as far as i can tell that is how Dawn mom became Sinnoh top coordinator. Along with Solidad and Zoey.

However if you want to become top coordinator worldwide, or even becoming master in this calling like Wallace did i presume you need to win GF from every region. Which is probably Solidad aim, explaining why she continued on.

Just because Dawn defeated May in the Wallace Cup doesn't mean that May was inferior to Dawn. Their match was ridiculously close and May was using her Glaceon, her least experienced Pokemon out of her team.

Chiplet said:
Well, wanting to win another Grand Festival is perfectly reasonable to me, although I always thought that after winning a Grand Festival you'd automatically become a Top Coordinator. I must've misunderstood.

Then, how do you really become a Top Coordinator? Do you have to win a GF in each region?

I'm actually pretty sure that you become a Top Coordinator after winning a Grand Festival. That's how they've described previous winners of Grand Festivals, like Zoey. Though, they would only be Top Coordinators of the region where they won the Grand Festival, if I recall correctly. They never mentioned that you have to win a Grand Festival in each region in order to become a Top Coordinator.

Anyway, I think it's entirely possible that May could have won the Johto Grand Festival. She already had three ribbons when we last saw her and she did seem like she improved quite nicely since the Battle Frontier saga, so May winning the Johto Grand Festival would have been believable. I could see her either getting into the top four again or getting into the finals, but I think that she could have won as well. It's a shame that we may never know for sure since I would have liked to hear about how May was doing after she left. A brief mention in the middle or near the end of DP would have been nice, but all we can do is just speculate about how she did and where she would go after the Johto Grand Festival.

If you win Grand Festival you become top coordinator of that specific region, and as far as i can tell that is how Dawn mom became Sinnoh top coordinator. Along with Solidad and Zoey.

However if you want to become top coordinator worldwide, or even becoming master in this calling like Wallace did i presume you need to win GF from every region. Which is probably Solidad aim, explaining why she continued on.

Quite frankly, I don't really see the difference.

They never stated that Johanna was only a Top Coordinator in Sinnoh only, they just said she was a Top Coordinator. Besides, what would be the difference in being a Top Coordinator worldwide than in only one region? It's not like you'll get to battle other Top Coordinators, you'll just rush through the exact same Ribbon-collecting journey again. So, a Coordinator who won a Grand Festival in all regions doesn't necessarily have to be stronger than a Top Coordinator who only won in one region, considering that they'll still be battling people on the same level as the previous GF regardless of where you travel.

I'm actually pretty sure that you become a Top Coordinator after winning a Grand Festival. That's how they've described previous winners of Grand Festivals, like Zoey. Though, they would only be Top Coordinators of the region where they won the Grand Festival, if I recall correctly. They never mentioned that you have to win a Grand Festival in each region in order to become a Top Coordinator

My thoughts exactly. Winning one Grand Festival should be enough in order to become a Top Coordinator. The reason to why I think Wallace got so much more attention than other Top Coordinators could possibly be because of him being the Hoenn Champion too. I doubt he travelled around in every region winning Grand Festival after Grand Festival, especially since we once saw one shot of him holding the Ribbon Cup. If he had entered and won more Grand Festivals, they'd surely give us a couple of more pictures of him holding other regions' Ribbon Cup.

Quite frankly, I don't really see the difference.

They never stated that Johanna was only a Top Coordinator in Sinnoh only, they just said she was a Top Coordinator. Besides, what would be the difference in being a Top Coordinator worldwide than in only one region? It's not like you'll get to battle other Top Coordinators, you'll just rush through the exact same Ribbon-collecting journey again. So, a Coordinator who won a Grand Festival in all regions doesn't necessarily have to be stronger than a Top Coordinator who only won in one region, considering that they'll still be battling people on the same level as the previous GF regardless of where you travel.

Yes but they said she was top coordinator from Sinnoh, and it was stated both in Hoenn and DP how winning Grand Festival makes you top coordinator as Hidden Mew already pointed out with Solidad, Zoey etc being described as such.

About entering other regions and trying to win other Grand Festivals, im pretty sure that's more challenging and harder task to accomplish than winning just one GF from specific region. Its already hard enough to collect all ribbons and win one GF, let alone trying to win them in each region requiring great deal of skill and experience. Which with itself pulls higher reputation and recognition in world of coordinators.

Its same with pokemon leagues.

Solidad obviously has higher motivations than being top coordinator of only Hoenn, and if there doesn't exist way to advance yourself and rank up after you win on Grand Festival i doubt she would ever went to Johto.
Wallace pretty much showed how there exists more to it being only contest master so far, and he is probably strongest coordinator currently in world.

"Hey Ash, I just got a call from May - Wallace is holding another Pokemon Contest, this time in Johto!" - two birds, one stone.

Yes but they said she was top coordinator from Sinnoh, and it was stated both in Hoenn and DP how winning Grand Festival makes you top coordinator as Hidden Mew already pointed out with Solidad, Zoey etc being described as such.

That's not my point. Naturally, Johanna is a Top Coordinator from Sinnoh, but I sincerely doubt that she'll be able to achieve a higher rank by competing in other regions' Grand Festival and winning those. You can always try to get stronger by training and travelling, learning more about other Pokémon and new ways of training etc., but I don't think that you'll be able to achieve a higher ranking by competing in other Grand Festivals.

About entering other regions and trying to win other Grand Festivals, im pretty sure that's more challenging and harder task to accomplish than winning just one GF from specific region. Its already hard enough to collect all ribbons and win one GF, let alone trying to win them in each region requiring great deal of skill and experience. Which with itself pulls higher reputation and recognition in world of coordinators.

Obviously, entering more Grand Festivals and winning them will surely prove to be a rather difficult quest, but winning one should be enough to estabish you to a really impressive Coordinator. You'll already have what it takes to win Contests, and you already know the basics and the advanced strategies, so winning a Contest should be a piece of pie to you, considering that the most Coordinators that you'll face will be far from your league. It won't be the same challenge as the first time you entered, and after that you've won two Grand Festivals you'll probably be near to being undefeatable, and it'll almost be a bit unfair to the other Coordinators.

I doesn't make much sense to me, no matter what way you put it. Travelling around in order to improve makes perfect sense, but I don't think you'll improve much if you beat Coordinators who you are being far surperior to in comparsion.

No, it's not the same thing with Pokémon Leagues. After you win a Pokémon League, you enter the Champion League, and even if you were to win it, you'd still be forced to improve and improve in order to keep your title as the Champion, meaning that the Trainers you'll face will often be near your level of skill. You'll always get to face Trainers near your level.

Solidad obviously has higher motivations than being top coordinator of only Hoenn, and if there doesn't exist way to advance yourself and rank up after you win on Grand Festival i doubt she would ever went to Johto.
Wallace pretty much showed how there exists more to it being only contest master so far, and he is probably strongest coordinator currently in world.

To me it was obvious that she wanted to improve as a Trainer and a Coordinator, but it was never obvious that she wanted to achieve a higher ranking as a Coordinator.

Also, that thing regarding Wallace, what do you mean? Do you mean that they should try to become a Champion, or what?

That's not my point. Naturally, Johanna is a Top Coordinator from Sinnoh, but I sincerely doubt that she'll be able to achieve a higher rank by competing in other regions' Grand Festival and winning those. You can always try to get stronger by training and travelling, learning more about other Pokémon and new ways of training etc., but I don't think that you'll be able to achieve a higher ranking by competing in other Grand Festivals.

It was already showed with Wallace how there exists higher rank being contest master. If you win Grand Festival of Sinnoh, Hoenn, Johto etc you become top coordinator of that region, but that doesn't make you top coordinator in world which is probably one of reasons why Solidad continued to enter contests to advance further.

Obviously, entering more Grand Festivals and winning them will surely prove to be a rather difficult quest, but winning one should be enough to estabish you to a really impressive Coordinator. You'll already have what it takes to win Contests, and you already know the basics and the advanced strategies, so winning a Contest should be a piece of pie to you, considering that the most Coordinators that you'll face will be far from your league. It won't be the same challenge as the first time you entered, and after that you've won two Grand Festivals you'll probably be near to being undefeatable, and it'll almost be a bit unfair to the other Coordinators.

I doesn't make much sense to me, no matter what way you put it. Travelling around in order to improve makes perfect sense, but I don't think you'll improve much if you beat Coordinators who you are being far surperior to in comparsion.

Its not that simple. As you continue to travel and enter contests from other regions, there is no guarantee you will have same success there like you did before. When you travel worldwide and meet all kind of coordinators from all parts of globe there will be encountered all kind of competitors, different contest style people over there use, there exist prodigies, or those with hidden talent being more skilled than you are despite not winning Grand Festival yet etc.

Dawn for example almost won GF in Sinnoh, but that doesn't mean she will have same success in other regions meeting different style coordinators use in Hoenn with one of reasons behind even traveling to Unova being to study more and improve her skills realizing how she still had a lot to learn not being prepared for different strategies.
Same applies to Solidad or Zoey not being guaranteed they will have same success in other regions, if they ended up with more challenging and different competition.

If you win GF in your hometown region it means you proved yourself as coordinator there making you best currently in that region, but if your aiming for top position in world it will surely be required to travel to other regions.

Its like with sport. If your playing soccer, basketball, doing swimming etc if you or team win Europe, America etc championship they will prove themselves as currently best there, but to prove yourself in world you will have to qualify for world championship or Olympics which is most prestige and biggest event for every sportsman.

And who is to say there doesn't exist special competition where only top coordinators from every region can participate to determine who is best out of them?

No, it's not the same thing with Pokémon Leagues. After you win a Pokémon League, you enter the Champion League, and even if you were to win it, you'd still be forced to improve and improve in order to keep your title as the Champion, meaning that the Trainers you'll face will often be near your level of skill. You'll always get to face Trainers near your level.

I meant how winning more than one league in several regions, is more prestigious and higher achievement for trainer than its to win one regional tournament. Since winning only in Kanto, Unova, Sinnoh etc wont make you best in world obviously.

Also, that thing regarding Wallace, what do you mean? Do you mean that they should try to become a Champion, or what?

Im not talking about his champion title, but fact that Wallace is referred as contest master too which is higher position than being top coordinator. He is currently strongest coordinator in world organizing prestigious contest events which carry his name , being example himself how there exists highest rank someone can reach as coordinator.

It was already showed with Wallace how there exists higher rank being contest master. If you win Grand Festival of Sinnoh, Hoenn, Johto etc you become top coordinator of that region, but that doesn't make you top coordinator in world which is probably one of reasons why Solidad continued to enter contests to advance further.

If that's the case, then I'd say that either Dawn or May would have that as a their goal. Becoming a ''Contest Master'', that is. But they never even mentioned that, because all they aimed for was becoming a Top Coordinator. Thus, I myself believe that it's pretty much the exact same thing. If there was a higher ranking than Top Coordinator, either May or Dawn probably would've mentioned about reaching that goal.

Its not that simple. As you continue to travel and enter contests from other regions, there is no guarantee you will have same success there like you did before. When you travel worldwide and meet all kind of coordinators from all parts of globe there will be encountered all kind of competitors, different contest style people over there use, there exist prodigies, or those with hidden talent being more skilled than you are despite not winning Grand Festival yet etc.

Regardless, you still won the Grand Festival. A competition that determines the strongest Coordinator in the whole region (or, at least the year's strongest). After that you've won two, the rest should becoming ridicously easy. Even though it's possible to lose, the Coordinator you lost to will just like be stronger than a Top Coordinator.

Dawn for example almost won GF in Sinnoh, but that doesn't mean she will have same success in other regions meeting different style coordinators use in Hoenn with one of reasons behind even traveling to Unova being to study more and improve her skills realizing how she still had a lot to learn not being prepared for different strategies.
Same applies to Solidad or Zoey not being guaranteed they will have same success in other regions, if they ended up with more challenging and different competition.

Why not?

With every Trainer you fight, you encounter new unique and remarkable strategies and tactics, but despite that she still managed to come through. Naturally, it is obvious that she possibly wouldn't have made it to the finales in some other Grand Festival, but if she would've ended up on placing like ''Top 32'', they'd pretty establish that the Sinnoh Grand Festival is nothig compared to others. That doesn't seem very likely to me, as I personally think that it's about the same level of difficulty in each region. There are always a certain few remarkable individuals, but other than them I'd say that there isn't a very big difference.

If you win GF in your hometown region it means you proved yourself as coordinator there making you best currently in that region, but if your aiming for top position in world it will surely be required to travel to other regions.

That hasn't been mentioned in the Animé, so I don't think so.

Its like with sport. If your playing soccer, basketball, doing swimming etc if you or team win Europe, America etc championship they will prove themselves as currently best there, but to prove yourself in world you will have to qualify for world championship or Olympics which is most prestige and biggest event for every sportsman.

As I said. Your theory would've made sense if it actually had been mentioned in the Animé itself that there is a higher ranking than being a Top Coordinator, but being a ''Contest Master'' seems to be the exact same thing. Or else, why wouldnt Dawn, at least, have aimed for that goal? She, if anyone, would surely have aimed for that kind of goal if it actually existed.

And who is to say there doesn't exist special competition where only top coordinators from every region can participate to determine who is best out of them?

The Animé itself pretty much says that.

I meant how winning more than one league in several regions, is more prestigious and higher achievement for trainer than its to win one regional tournament. Since winning only in Kanto, Unova, Sinnoh etc wont make you best in world obviously.

That's what we have the Champion League for. The goal of becoming a ''Pokémon Master'' is just as unclear, but at least a Trainer would have the Champion League to focus on after winning a league.

Im not talking about his champion title, but fact that Wallace is referred as contest master too which is higher position than being top coordinator. He is currently strongest coordinator in world organizing prestigious contest events which carry his name , being example himself how there exists highest rank someone can reach as coordinator.

No, I don't think that's it. I think it's more because of Wallace also being the Hoenn Champion, as well as a previous Gym Leader. He's a Top Coordinator too. There is surely no other who carries all of those titles, thus the reason to why he gained so much attention. If not, don't you think, which I already pointed out, that we would've gotten more shots of him carrying other Ribbon Cups?

If that's the case, then I'd say that either Dawn or May would have that as a their goal. Becoming a ''Contest Master'', that is. But they never even mentioned that, because all they aimed for was becoming a Top Coordinator. Thus, I myself believe that it's pretty much the exact same thing. If there was a higher ranking than Top Coordinator, either May or Dawn probably would've mentioned about reaching that goal.

I don't think there ever existed reason to mention it, if their aim was only to win Grand Festival becoming top coordinators. Not everyone are aiming for same goals. To some its enough to win one GF ending their journey as coordinator right there, while to some like Solidad it isn't. To some trainers its enough to win one regional league, while some has higher ambitions wanting to become champion, master etc.

I don't think contest master is same thing as top coordinator at all, with such thing never being said or implied in show. Just like there exist something as pokemon master, water master or dragon master Misty and Iris are aiming for its not so farfetched to presume how there exist higher position you can achieve as coordinator too.

And this careers are barely explained too.

It took us 10 years to find out in DP how there exists champion league after you win league tournament, with writers not having reason to mention or bring up something if it doesn't go in correlation with main character goals.

Since Wallace was only coordinator which achieve mastery over this and they never met him afterwards , with this term not having anything to do with May or Dawn goal its rather understandable why this wasn't mention again.

However it doesn't change fact how this term was mentioned showing how there exists coordinators which are in whole another league than winners of GF are.

Regardless, you still won the Grand Festival. A competition that determines the strongest Coordinator in the whole region (or, at least the year's strongest). After that you've won two, the rest should becoming ridicously easy. Even though it's possible to lose, the Coordinator you lost to will just like be stronger than a Top Coordinator.

Explained below.

Why not?

With every Trainer you fight, you encounter new unique and remarkable strategies and tactics, but despite that she still managed to come through. Naturally, it is obvious that she possibly wouldn't have made it to the finales in some other Grand Festival, but if she would've ended up on placing like ''Top 32'', they'd pretty establish that the Sinnoh Grand Festival is nothig compared to others. That doesn't seem very likely to me, as I personally think that it's about the same level of difficulty in each region. There are always a certain few remarkable individuals, but other than them I'd say that there isn't a very big difference.

Because in every region where contests are held, coordinators have different battling style in general using different approach, with incomers which achieved notable results in previous region not being guaranteed how they will be prepared for different strategies people over there use.

We can see that with May contest journey with battling rounds in contests being more similar to regular trainer battles than battling rounds in Sinnoh were. There was more raw and straightforward approach there,appeal rounds were largely different and coordinators which got used to one battling style in specific region might likely have problems in adjusting to different strategy there not being prepared for it.

As you travel to other regions you get to learn about different approaches toward contests having to enrich yourself with new skills with learning never stopping if you plan to continue being successful.
After you win one Grand Festival while you proved yourself to be strong, winning second one in different region won't be easy for you at all because you will have to adjust yourself to different battling styles coordinators use, different rules etc.

Dawn almost won GF in Sinnoh ending as runner up, but does that mean she will always come among top 2, 4 or 8? Not really, with her inexperience with different approach coordinators over there use being more likely than not one of main reasons why she went to Unova seeking out for different answers, observing musicals and battling style trainers over there use to apply it in her future performances.

When May came back in Wallace cup, she mentioned she was struggling lately too having losing streak, regardless of all those evolutions and improvement.

I don't think Grand Festival from every region will necessarily have same level of difficulty either, depending on how strong competition there will be. For example Sinnoh league showed to have harder competition than Hoenn league had , with Tobias himself already being tougher opponent than any other Ash met in other league tournaments.

That hasn't been mentioned in the Animé, so I don't think so.

Its more common sense to me, than anything else. If you want to become recognized as strongest coordinator in whole world and become best you wont be able to do that by staying in region and winning one GF. As you travel to other regions, other people and coordinators will find out about you making name for yourself everywhere basing on how successful you are there, and the more GF you win more famous, skilled and strong you will be applying all kind of strategies and knowledge you gather from Hoenn, Johto, Sinnoh, Kanto etc.

As I said. Your theory would've made sense if it actually had been mentioned in the Animé itself that there is a higher ranking than being a Top Coordinator, but being a ''Contest Master'' seems to be the exact same thing. Or else, why wouldnt Dawn, at least, have aimed for that goal? She, if anyone, would surely have aimed for that kind of goal if it actually existed.

Im not sure why would Dawn aim for that goal at all? Her desire was to prove herself to Johanna, following mother footsteps and wanting to win GF becoming top coordinator.
There is no reason to mention something if it doesn't have anything to do with character story.

If contest master means same thing as top coordinator, than why we never heard Johanna, Solidad or Zoey being labelled as masters? They were always referred as top coordinators which won one Grand Festival from their respective region.

It wasn't until Wallace showed up, that this term was used being one way ticket to let people know how there exist coordinators which are on higher level than Grand Festival winners are.

The Animé itself pretty much says that.

Since it was pretty much established with Wallace how he is stronger than any top coordinator which got introduced in anime was, leads me to believe how there exists way to determine such thing.

That's what we have the Champion League for. The goal of becoming a ''Pokémon Master'' is just as unclear, but at least a Trainer would have the Champion League to focus on after winning a league.

And this still wont mean your strongest trainer out there, having to prove yourself worldwide to be recognized as such.
As we can see even E4 members or champions travel worldwide and battle other opponents.
Im pretty sure those who won Kanto, Sinnoh, Johto etc tournament continued to head toward other regions to compete in.

No, I don't think that's it. I think it's more because of Wallace also being the Hoenn Champion, as well as a previous Gym Leader. He's a Top Coordinator too. There is surely no other who carries all of those titles, thus the reason to why he gained so much attention. If not, don't you think, which I already pointed out, that we would've gotten more shots of him carrying other Ribbon Cups?

If he is top coordinator too, than he would surely be referred as such. But he wasn't being labelled as contest master and basically legend in world of coordinators, established as strongest coordinator who is in whole another league than likes of Solidd, Zoey or Johanna are having higher level of skill and knowledge.

He is also only coordinator which established special contest events carrying his name with ribbons from it being legit in every region your participating in, serving as ticket to qualify for GF.
And it was showed how Wallace Cup exists in other regions beside Sinnoh too, as we can see with Dawn which plans to compete in another one from Johto after she departs.

Last edited:
I don't think there ever existed reason to mention it, if their aim was only to win Grand Festival becoming top coordinators. Not everyone are aiming for same goals. To some its enough to win one GF ending their journey as coordinator right there, while to some like Solidad it isn't. To some trainers its enough to win one regional league, while some has higher ambitions wanting to become champion, master etc.

That's like saying that there wasn't a reason to mention the concept of becoming a ''Pokémon Master''. We should just have Ash winning the Champion League and becoming a Champion, shouldn't that be good enough? For a main character, like Dawn, achieving the highst rank possible regarding the Coordinator goal would make perfect sense, since that's clearly something she loves and is 100 % dedicated to. For her to ''end'' after becoming a Top Coordinator while there actually is a higher rank to achieve seems really OOC to me considering her ambition and love for contests. So no, I'm not going to buy that.

I don't think contest master is same thing as top coordinator at all, with such thing never being said or implied in show. Just like there exist something as pokemon master, water master or dragon master Misty and Iris are aiming for its not so farfetched to presume how there exist higher position you can achieve as coordinator too.

If it wasn't for the fact that the term ''Contest Master'' had only been mentioned once with Wallace, I might would've believed what you were saying. But now, I don't. I can certainly see some Coordinators ending their carieers after that they've won the Grand Festival, quiting right there, but Dawn, Johanna and May all feel like truly ambitious Coordinators that would've wanted to reach to the top. If there truly was something like ''Contest Master'', it should at least have been mentioned once among them.

It took us 10 years to find out in DP how there exists champion league after you win league tournament, with writers not having reason to mention or bring up something if it doesn't go in correlation with main character goals.

The thing is, during those years, the only thing that were in the writers mind was the Pokémon League. They didn't even think about the Champion League at that time, nor did they know how Ash should be able to achieve that ranking. However, we all still knew that there had to be something more after the Pokémon League, as Ash still wouldn't get to battle the E4 nor the Champion even though he'd win it. Here, we really don't know nothing at all. For all we know, and what I personally believe, the top is reached once you've become a Top Coordinator. You can always train and try to get stronger and better at your goal, but I don't think you would've been able to achieve a higher ranking. If so, then you'd think that after Zoey won the GF she would said something in the lines of continue training in order to enter other Contests.

Since Wallace was only coordinator which achieve mastery over this and they never met him afterwards , with this term not having anything to do with May or Dawn goal its rather understandable why this wasn't mention again.

I don't agree, and the reason to that is explained above.

However it doesn't change fact how this term was mentioned showing how there exists coordinators which are in whole another league than winners of GF are.

I'll repeat myself; this term was mentioned once with Wallace. And with didn't get any further details about what it meant to be a Contest Master, but considering that we only got one shot of him holding the Ribbon Cup, why should we assume that he won more Grand Festivals? Can you answer to that question?

Because in every region where contests are held, coordinators have different battling style in general using different approach, with incomers which achieved notable results in previous region not being guaranteed how they will be prepared for different strategies people over there use.

It's still the same thing. Regardless of region, it's not like everyone in Sinnoh have the same battle style. Every Coordinator you face, regardless of region, will have different and unique battle styles, but it's still just the same as the Coordinators you beat before you got into the Grand Festival. There might be a certain individual that is a somewhat of a prodigy, but even for them it should be hard to beat a Top Coordinator, who has way more experience in his/her bag and has went through so much more than the new Coordinator.

We can see that with May contest journey with battling rounds in contests being more similar to regular trainer battles than battling rounds in Sinnoh were. There was more raw and straightforward approach there,appeal rounds were largely different and coordinators which got used to one battling style in specific region might likely have problems in adjusting to different strategy there not being prepared for it.

That was just the writers experimenting with how Contests should be funccioning in general, not to mention the difference in animation too. I'm not going to buy that. After all, in AG they were still completely new to the concept of Contests, and we could see how it developed from only being mere ''throwing disk and make your Pokémon catch it'' into a sparkly performance. From AG to DP, they went through the same development. It's not like the writers purposely made the Coordinators in AG being more ''battlecentric'' than the ones in DP.

As you travel to other regions you get to learn about different approaches toward contests having to enrich yourself with new skills with learning never stopping if you plan to continue being successful.
After you win one Grand Festival while you proved yourself to be strong, winning second one in different region won't be easy for you at all because you will have to adjust yourself to different battling styles coordinators use, different rules etc.

You mean, just like you did in every Contest in the previous region? Yeah. I think that should be a habit by now.

Dawn almost won GF in Sinnoh ending as runner up, but does that mean she will always come among top 2, 4 or 8? Not really, with her inexperience with different approach coordinators over there use being more likely than not one of main reasons why she went to Unova seeking out for different answers, observing musicals and battling style trainers over there use to apply it in her future performances.

Ash has always managed to do that, so why shouldn't she? Of course, it can always happen that she gets to face other Coordinators that've also ended up at second, third or fourth place, which might make it a bit more difficult. But I certainly can't see her being in a lower place than among the Top 8. Besides, I think she mainly came to Unova for learning new tricks for Round 1, which always has been her weakness, but even if she didn't come to Unova I still don't think she'd have much problem in the contests in Hoenn, considering how extremely little influence Unova has had on her by the looks of things.

When May came back in Wallace cup, she mentioned she was struggling lately too having losing streak, regardless of all those evolutions and improvement.

To Harley and Drew, yes. They are both two strong Coordinators who always has been pretty much equal to May, so having her struggle with them is only natural, as they all were on the same level to begin with.

Besides, that reminds me! Wouldn't she have mentioned Soledad too if she actually was competing in the Johto Contests? She didn't do that. Doesn't that say anything to you?

I don't think Grand Festival from every region will necessarily have same level of difficulty either, depending on how strong competition there will be. For example Sinnoh league showed to have harder competition than Hoenn league had , with Tobias himself already being tougher opponent than any other Ash met in other league tournaments.

Haha. Tobias had legendaries. Besides, as I said, the will always be a certain few individuals that are on a completely different level from you. However, it's not like Ash had won a League before that.

Its more common sense to me, than anything else. If you want to become recognized as strongest coordinator in whole world and become best you wont be able to do that by staying in region and winning one GF. As you travel to other regions, other people and coordinators will find out about you making name for yourself everywhere basing on how successful you are there, and the more GF you win more famous, skilled and strong you will be applying all kind of strategies and knowledge you gather from Hoenn, Johto, Sinnoh, Kanto etc.

The question is, can it really be further extended to being someting like ''The Greatest Coordinator in the World''? If you win all the Grand Festivals in every region, you still might encounter other Coordinators who've done the same thing, and you still won't be the best in the world. A Top Coordinator who trains at home, without traveling to other regions, could still probably beat a ''Master Coordinator'' if he/she had fought the same level of competetion in other Grand Festivals, but I doubt that he would've had a much bigger challenge than he had in his own region's GF. Forcing a Coordinator to win that many Grand Festivals seems highly unlikely to me, as it will take like one year per region, and even when he's done he still won't be the very best. What will he have achieved? The same kind of victory as he had in his last Grand Festival? How great.

Im not sure why would Dawn aim for that goal at all? Her desire was to prove herself to Johanna, following mother footsteps and wanting to win GF becoming top coordinator. There is no reason to mention something if it doesn't have anything to do with character story.

I thought her story was about becoming the very best? Y'know, the best, the almighty, the numero uno. Sure, she might want to make her mom proud as well, but I doubt she's doing all of this for the sake of her mother. She LOVES contests, why wouldn't it make sense to you for her to want to achieve an even higher ranking when she's truly dedicated to contests? It does to me.

If contest master means same thing as top coordinator, than why we never heard Johanna, Solidad or Zoey being labelled as masters? They were always referred as top [coordinators which won one Grand Festival from their respective region.

Exactly. You just said it. If there actually was something like Contest Master, they should would've mentioned wanting to become one after they had won Grand Festival, right? I think it's nothing more than a more fancy term to make Wallace seem more surperior than he already is.

Since it was pretty much established with Wallace how he is stronger than any top coordinator which got introduced in anime was, leads me to believe how there exists way to determine such thing.

It wasn't established.

And this still wont mean your strongest trainer out there, having to prove yourself worldwide to be recognized as such.
As we can see even E4 members or champions travel worldwide and battle other opponents.
Im pretty sure those who won Kanto, Sinnoh, Johto etc tournament continued to head toward other regions to compete in.

Just like winning every Grand Festival in other regions won't prove anything. What if there are others who have achieved the same thing? Then you will just be one of very few, right? Is the Contest Champion League too? Nah.

Naturally, you always want to become stronger, thus you travel around to develop your skills, just like I said. But once you've become Champion in your region, I personally believe there's something like a Championship World Cup, where the strongest out of all Champions will be determined. That'd make sense.

If he is top coordinator too, than he would surely be referred as such. But he wasn't being labelled as contest master and basically legend in world of coordinators, established as strongest coordinator who is in whole another league than likes of Solidd, Zoey or Johanna are having higher level of skill and knowledge.

No, if he was referred to a Top Coordinator, he'd be the same as Johanna and Soledad, and even Zoey. And even if I think he is exactly that, with an exception of surely being way more powerful due to being Hoenn Champion too, the writers surely wanted to glorify him way more due to all of his famous titles. If there was something like Contest Master, then it should've been explained at least briefly at one point.

He is also only coordinator which established special contest events carrying his name with ribbons from it being legit in every region your participating in, serving as ticket to qualify for GF.
And it was showed how Wallace Cup exists in other regions beside Sinnoh too, as we can see with Dawn which plans to compete in another one from Johto after she departs.

Wallace IS a special Coordinator. Because, unlike other Top Coordinators, he's also the strongest Trainer in his region. He has been a Gym Leader once, and is now also a Champion. That is the exact reason to why he gains so much attention. If there was something like Contest Master, then surely Wallace could not be the only one out there. Then other Contest Masters should've had the same type of competition in their honor, right?

I'm ending this here, as this only feels like a huge waste of time by now. You haven't managed to convince me in the slightest that there is something higher than Top Coordinator, thus I'm quitting here. We will obviously not convince the other, so let's agree to disagree, shall we?

I'm not answering more regardless. This is getting way off-topic, and as I just mentioned, it feels rather useless considering that we both are repeating ourseleves and don't seem to getting nowhere. But, if you feel compelled to answer, then be my guest, although just don't expect me to read it nor give a reply to it.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom