• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW093: The Junior Cup of Farewells and Meetings!

Oh dear lord, I hope that "Johto is where coordinators go to die" doesn't become a "thing".

Episode was mix between decent and mediocre in my opinion. Alder whooping floor with Trip was expected from start, but im glad something positive came up from Trip dominance in Junior Cup with this defeat judging by reactions humbling him down a bit not being so overconfident and egoistic anymore. Which is you could say of character development, teaching him nice lecture how love and strong bond with your pokemon is important ingredient if you want to be successful trainer.

Alder change of attitude being a lot more serious was unexpected too, but like they say first impressions can sometimes fool you with Alder regardless of carefree attitude being a lot more competent than some would thought.

Dawn battle between Ash to describe with one sentence left a lot more to be desired. I was glad when i found out how Quilava against Pikachu is going to be used, instead of predictable Oshawott vs Piplup clash. And yet again battle ended in draw with Cynthia stopping duel, just about when it started to be interesting.

Whole departure was ok i guess but i expected more meaningful departure from Dawn side, although it was a bit touching to see Piplup and Oshawott growing so close to each other being upset when they had to say goodbye.

I wish writers gave us some update on Hoenn journey and progress she made as coordinator during departure too, but i presume since Unova didn't had contest writers probably felt it wasn't relevant to bring it up much since it wouldn't play role in anime plot anyway. Like it was situation with May and Wallace Cup.

However i still don't think her appearance was pointless.
She returned for more episodes than May and Misty , had enjoyable dynamic with cast and interactions with Ash weren't too shoddy either showing that same friendship she established with him in DP. There was entertaining rivalry between Piplup sand Oshawott over Meloetta adding to comedy.
Admittedly i expected more from her performance in Junior Cup but it was pretty clear since start how it will be mostly focused on Trip sand Iris development. However she still played some role in issue between Iris and her pokemon showing to us how much she improved since last time. Which can be noticed in Mamoswine being one of rare pokemon which actually damaged Iris Dragonite.

As for new rival Kotetsu, honestly i expected a lot more. He is just another generic shonen character which is absentminded and clueless. However he adds a whole new dimension to this archetype being incredibly ignorant, considering he actually thought how league will be held in Johto and how 7 badges is enough to qualify for tournament. Good luck with that buddy.

I can understand appeal behind such characters, but less hyperactive characters which don't reveal all cards on table immediately can have charm too. Oh well.

Hikari's gone forever, oh well, still better than the Kasumi cameos. XD

If you ask me Misty cameo was better having creative story which focused on her(wrapping up Togepi), great villain colonel Hanson, and enjoyable interactions between characters .Same goes for second where she helped Max about issues with older sister.

Please, Kasumi's in Kanto and lord knows she ain't never coming back. XD So is Masato in Hoenn or Brock, also in Kanto. The correct moniker for Johto would be, "Where Coordinators go to die" XD

We don't know if they will return or not in future. I say Brock and Misty might have chance in BW filler arc, if expansion of World cup happens.

Last edited:
I've been excited to see Shooti battle Adeku for a few weeks now, and while at the time I was pretty disappointed in the battle (and freaking out on Skype a little because "aDEKU WHY ARENT YOU DOING ANYTHING NOOOOO") but after I watched it again, I think the battle was just what Shooti needed to put him in his place. He went the entire tournament one hit KO'ing all of his opponents, and having studied Buffron, probably thought this was going to go the same way. Did he know that his ability was Sap Sipper? (legit question, was that mentioned?) I don't know what any of their dialogue was during the match, but it seemed like Shooti was pretty sure he was going to win, watching Buffron just take hit after hit and not doing anything. So, for Adeku to one hit KO his Jalorda showed he still had a lot to learn, as tough as he thought he was.

The battle between Satoshi and Hikari was pretty meh, as was their goodbye. I don't know what I was really expecting, but it seemed pretty rushed. There was a lot crammed in to this episode.

I'm not all that fond of Kotetsu from this episode, either. So dumb, so dumb, so dumb, for real

But can we just take a moment and appreciate these

tumblr_m9xbsemu9y1rpmv3uo1_500.jpg

Shirona's talking... crap... Somebody please shut her up... Jeremy, shove a Pokéball down her throat and shut her up... No she just keeps going and going... and she stops the battle... like what? First of all, for the first time since Hikari arrived, we had Satoshi and her legit interacting, so why shut them up just so Shirona can steal some screen time... again.

Don't say such a bad thing!
I'm sure Cynthia said very wise words that gave the whole episode maturity and depth. Just because you apparently didn't understand what she said, there's no reason to jump to conclusions and judge her the way you did. If it hadn't been for Cynthia's appearance, the whole Junior cup arc would have been a waste of time and lost potential. Or let me put it more poetically: If the Cup itself was darkness, Cynthia was the light.

Something that interests me: Did Cynthia comment on Alder's Bouffalant in some way? In one scene she seemed to look at it kind of sceptically. Or did she expect this had been Alder's strategy all the time?

Farewell my Queen! I know for sure we'll see you again and God, am I waiting for that day!

This episode was somewhat disappointing. The only real good things were Adler mowing down Trip's overgrown garden hose, Cynthia, and Ash looking competent again (to a degree, anyway, but better than he's been lately).

Looks like Trip underestimated Adler. He may have been able to pretty much OHKO his opponents, but he was in for a rude (and justified) shock. Sap Sipper made his Grass-type moves useless, and Bouffalant just gave Serperior a good smack, and that's the end of Trip's rampage. Though Trip's sudden change in character is a little... startling. He changed in like literally a second, and that has me worried. Like what others have said, Paul's "evolution" took some time, since Brandon's words needed to really sink in, but he progressed in a more natural way. Trip's change is so sudden that it's like someone just flipped off his "rude and obnoxious" switch and hit his hidden "compassionate" switch.

Dawn's departure was very bland. Piplup and Oshawott had a more emotional departure than she did. In fact, Dawn's role in the entire Junior Cup was almost like a background character, with the exception of "helping" Iris. Very disappointing, her usefulness almost seemed wasted.

Waah! Come back, Cynthia! We need you! The Pokemon world (especially BW II) is only worthwhile if you're here! Your cool, sexy, smart, and highly useful abilities are needed to help this downright pitiful series to survive! *plane flies away* *whimper* I guess until next time, Cynthia... *whimper*

I'm not sure what to think of this new guy. As Rattrap once said, "All new, all different, and dumber than ever." He didn't even know that eight badges are required to compete in the League! Everyone knows that! Or at least everyone with half a brain knows that. And why in the world would the Unova League be held in Johto, you knucklehead!? Riolu seems to be the more "intelligent" part of the two, even though it copies this kid's actions. Guess what Professor Oak said was true: Pokemon DO adopt the mannerisms of their Trainers. Not sure if this kid will be a barrel of laughs due to his stupidity, or a world of facepalms for the same reason. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Farewell my Queen! I know for sure we'll see you again and God, am I waiting for that day!

Waah! Come back, Cynthia! We need you! The Pokemon world (especially BW II) is only worthwhile if you're here! Your cool, sexy, smart, and highly useful abilities are needed to help this downright pitiful series to survive! *plane flies away* *whimper* I guess until next time, Cynthia... *whimper*

She's coming back for the Team Rocket arc, so you guys don't have long to wait.

This isn't even the fan in me talking, but Trip and Alder's battle was the most amusing part of the episode. Kotetsu is more annoying than anything else, and the Dawn/Ash battle was rather disappointing, as it was cut short. Still, the Team Rocket segments were pretty cool. They reminded me of the ones at the beginning of Best Wishes when you didn't know what they were up to.

My reaction to Kotetsu:

PLEASE MAKE IT STOP I GET IT ALREADY YOU'RE AN IDIOT NOW PLEASE I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE I'LL NEVER LIE CHEAT OR SWEAR AGAIN I PROMISE JUST PLEASE MAKE IT STOP

This new kid is dumber than anything, I mean seriously, a Unova league taking part in Johto (which in unova is like the other side of the world)... Idiot.. He was also late and didnt realise he needed 8 badges... Haha

But despite his stupidity, I think he has hidden personality which will be shown when we next see him (excluding BW094, probably will be the league). Thats if he makes it.

Yeah I have to agree with the general comments about the Dawn/ Ash battle, it was rather disappointing. If her fate follows other recurring charicters then this could be her last appearance and unfortunatey she went out in bad circumstances...

I didn't think the Hikari vs Satoshi match was that bad until Shirona spouted out what is probably the same shit she normally says. Ideally it would have been longer but I wouldn't say it was bad.

Well, seeing Bouffalant beating the crap out of Serperior was very satifying, but I just wish that the buffalo had shown more variety in moves, like Megahorn.

After that battle, things really went downhill... Another lackluster Ash vs Dawn, Dropping Eruption for fucking Flamethrower, and this stupid Kotetsu kid. Just make this stop!

Am I ever going to watch this arc in the dub. Never. I'll avoid it like the disease it is...

I would have liked to see the rat beat Quilava as well. How the heck was the match so even?

I actually thought the match between Pikachu and Quilava was pretty interesting, mainly because they're alike. Two speedy pokes with strong attacks....

....which makes me wish they had finished it....

I would have liked to see the rat beat Quilava as well. How the heck was the match so even?
Guessing because either Pikachu was going easy on it, or the writers didn't want Hikari to go home with a loss. (especially after getting tossed early in the tournament.)

Speaking of the battle, I'm really glad Shirona stopped it. It was like she was all, "okay, this match kinda sucks, so I'm going to stop it to tell you guys about some shit."

This isn't related to the episode so much as it is the OP.
Standing atop that arch is Alder, Cynthia, Caitlyn, Shizui (Marlon?), and... somebody else. At first I thought it was Dawn, as she is seemingly jumping down from some high place in the next shot, but the more time I see the OP, the more I think it's not.
So... who is it?

oh geez where to begin.
how did we not know Trip would beat Ash? Suprise Suprise!
That was one quick battle between Alder and Trip.
Dawn vs ash. Zzzzzz.....huh what?!?
Kotetsu. Dad'gum why cant i scan piachu with this Samsung Brand pokedex. Oh wait that ders da TV remote. (insert dueling banjos) Biggest Fail in all of pokemon. What i would like Kotetsu's lines for the dub to be at the part where he scans pikachu with the remote " MA!!! The remote controll dun work right!!!!! The TV wount change channels! oh wait dat ders a pokemans!!!"
Riolu: epic cause he is related to Lucario. Enuf said there
Oshawott and Piplup: and thus a spin off featuring those two would never become reality.
Kotetsu again: DAT FACES! something tells me with his stretchy face that he might have come from soul eater...

Something tells me this Kotetsu kid is going to be one of the biggest BAKAs on this show to date... not looking forward to the dub. And this is the same KID who we will spend another episode trying to get a badge. Hopefully he wont use his remote again

I'm sure Cynthia said very wise words that gave the whole episode maturity and depth.

Of course, Her Majesty, the Queen, the Angel of Glory and Purity's speech was as brilliant as usual... that is to say it's not. except when she's throwing comashipping hints like crazy. I swear, it's like she has like three sentences she always spouts and we get it, people influence one another big whoop, bla bla bla same old crap.

If the Cup itself was darkness, Cynthia was the light.

Nah man, her, Iris, Kairyu, rushed battled and even more rushed battles were the darkness of this cup. Had this actually been about the interesting characters on the show and had them getting decent battles and legit interacting, this would have been brilliant, but alas... Iris and Shirona ruined it all...

I didn't think the Hikari vs Satoshi match was that bad until Shirona spouted out what is probably the same shit she normally says. Ideally it would have been longer but I wouldn't say it was bad.

This. Well animated battle, the moves looked good. Then came Shirona... it just turned into almost still shots of both Pokémon throwing the same old attacks at each other and then no resolution... meh.

Kotetsu. Dad'gum why cant i scan piachu with this Samsung Brand pokedex. Oh wait that ders da TV remote. (insert dueling banjos) Biggest Fail in all of pokemon. What i would like Kotetsu's lines for the dub to be at the part where he scans pikachu with the remote " MA!!! The remote controll dun work right!!!!! The TV wount change channels! oh wait dat ders a pokemans!!!"

I'll probably use my remote to change the channel when it comes on my TV in the dub.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom