• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S15 EP30: Guarding the Guardian of the Mountain!

Iteru

Something
Reaction score
BW78 - Guarding the Guardian of the Mountain!

Official Pokémon Site said:
Ash gets a brush with celebrity when he encounters the movie star Brycen atop a mountain near Icirrus City! Well, a former movie star—Brycen has recently retired to focus on his training. But when a magnificent Pokémon is trapped by a greedy Pokémon Hunter, Brycen shows off the Trainer skills and showmanship that made him a superstar!

This episode was pretty good and I some what enjoyed Bricen english dubbed voice

Great episode and I think really well dubbed too - the Pokemon voices were all really good, particularly Jellicent and Brycen was really good as well. Officer Jenny sounded a bit strange, but that might just have been because of how rarely she appears now.

The terrible title and a few terrible lines were about the only negatives as far as the dub goes, Cilan saying something like 'Pokemon Hunters are bad!' was about as pointless as anything he's ever said. Brycen's 'Looks like Crunch had a lot of Punch' was delivered in such a way it almost worked despite the line being about as bad as it gets.

This episode really made me like Krokorok, he has a great variety of emotions and does a lot of genuinely funny things in this episode. More seemed to be done with his personality in this episode than half of the rest of Ash's team combined. Shame that it took so long to be captured.

One real annoyance is that Ash made no attempt to try and free Krokorok - or again, just return him to his Pokeball, like in nearly every other similar situation. Putting aside the fact that no one trying to poach anything would decide to put it on the line with a Pokemon battle, Ash should still act as if he wanted to try something as well to help get his Pokemon free, rather than leaving it to someone else to win a battle.

There were three titles, Enter the Beartic, The Way of the Beartic and Fist of Ice.

I am not fond of the English voices of Volcarona and the Blue Jellicent because they both sound like Meatwad from Aqua Teen Hunger Force (Not that I have fully anything against the Meatwad's actual voice). There's just no distinction between them. They both sound almost exactly the same.

Brycen's english dub voice wasn't that good to me. Pokemon poacher's english dub voice was good to me.

I think the best line from this episode was Cilan's "YOU AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGRGRRGRRGRRGRGRGRRRRE!!!!!"

Second place goes to Brycen's "Crunch had a lot of punch" line.

The dual Jellicent battle was kind of a neat twist, haven't seen an outright trick like that in a long time. See, the plural of Jellicent is Jellicent! :0 Beartic laid a decent amount of smackdown on both Jellicent at once, it was indeed like a kung fu action movie, or a Let's Play of Mortal Kombat featuring Sub Zero. At first I was confused by Krokorok's weakness against Water types, because I thought Water was weak against Ground, not the other way around. Had to look that one up while I was watching the episode just to check the facts.

But speaking of type resistance, in this new Gen, where a trainer's inner Pokémon really takes the forefront, shouldn't Iris not really mind sudden flashes of thunder and lightning? Considering she's a Dragon Type... human? Dragon Types are resistant to Electric Types.

Oh, and one more question. During Cilan's retelling of Enter The Beartic (at least I think that was the movie he was talking about), when Brycen head kicked Beartic, was that red stuff blood, or dynamic impact lines?

I think the best line from this episode was Cilan's "YOU AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGRGRRGRRGRRGRGRGRRRRE!!!!!"

Second place goes to Brycen's "Crunch had a lot of punch" line.

The dual Jellicent battle was kind of a neat twist, haven't seen an outright trick like that in a long time. See, the plural of Jellicent is Jellicent! :0 Beartic laid a decent amount of smackdown on both Jellicent at once, it was indeed like a kung fu action movie, or a Let's Play of Mortal Kombat featuring Sub Zero. At first I was confused by Krokorok's weakness against Water types, because I thought Water was weak against Ground, not the other way around. Had to look that one up while I was watching the episode just to check the facts.

But speaking of type resistance, in this new Gen, where a trainer's inner Pokémon really takes the forefront, shouldn't Iris not really mind sudden flashes of thunder and lightning? Considering she's a Dragon Type... human? Dragon Types are resistant to Electric Types.

Oh, and one more question. During Cilan's retelling of Enter The Beartic (at least I think that was the movie he was talking about), when Brycen head kicked Beartic, was that red stuff blood, or dynamic impact lines?

Krokork is also a Dark type so it is strong agianst ghost type. It can go ether way.

There were three titles, Enter the Beartic, The Way of the Beartic and Fist of Ice.

Either way, the dubbers at least got the reference. Those three movies were references to some of Bruce Lee's movie. From what I heard, the last movie that Brycen starred in was Game of Ice. It may be intentionally removed since the movie it was based on was Game of Death, which was the last movie Bruce Lee made...

I'm betting that Brycen's surname is also Lee

Hmm, not the best debut for Volcarona, but a strong one for Brycen and Jellicent I think.

I gotta say, if Brycen really was meant to be a Pokemon version of the greatest action star of all time, Bruce it hits all by itself Lee, then I think he's a fairly respectful and thoughtful one. I mean, the overall point of this ep is really to make Brycen seem more like a challenge to Ash, and thus make Ash's inevitable victory over him all the sweeter, but it still didn't feel hallow.

Gotta say, while their training left much to be desired, Ash and Krok generally came off pretty badass in this ep.

Loved the episode, especially the ending :) the soundtrack was somewhat nostalgic even though it wasn't lol :)
9.4/10 :)

Either way, the dubbers at least got the reference. Those three movies were references to some of Bruce Lee's movie. From what I heard, the last movie that Brycen starred in was Game of Ice. It may be intentionally removed since the movie it was based on was Game of Death, which was the last movie Bruce Lee made...

I'm betting that Brycen's surname is also Lee

Correction. There were really four movies. The reference was too obvious. He pioneered the martial arts film in America Unova. The plot of Enter the Beartic was too similar to Enter the Dragon. In addition, The Game of Ice was his final but unfinished film. (Bruce Lee never finished Game of Death either...

A pretty good and well dubbed episode. I really like Brycen and Jellicent's voice and Volcarona's is very fitting for a moth like Pokemon. Officer Jenny seemed a little awkward and stiff. There were some awful lines though such Cilan in the begininng going "YOU ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEE!" Brycen's line "Crunch had a lot of punch" really made me facepalm. It's sad to believe that's the best they could of come up.

Krokorok was badass, Brycen sounded awesome, Cilan was... erm, Cilan... Volcarona and Jellicent had good debuts, and we got some nice battles. That's how you dub a Pokemon episode.

The Jellicent were really great in this episode. I personally loved their dubbed voices. Volcarona was a beauty here, I'm glad we got to catch a glimpse of it in the anime.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom