• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW093: The Junior Cup of Farewells and Meetings!

Where did Alder do something that was superior to Cynthia??

What he said was infinitely more insightful and the way he battled Shooti, was infinitely more purposeful. Adeku actually tried to impart something to Shooti, to teach him something as opposed to Shirona's "well, he's not really going to change so I'm just gonna spout that one line I have and act like it's wisdom".

And if it hadn't been his duty to battle the winner of the Junior Cup, I guess he would probably have fallen asleep again.

Which would have been more entertaining than anything Cynthia ever did. XD

Where did Alder do something that was superior to Cynthia??

What he said was infinitely more insightful and the way he battled Shooti, was infinitely more purposeful. Adeku actually tried to impart something to Shooti, to teach him something as opposed to Shirona's "well, he's not really going to change so I'm just gonna spout that one line I have and act like it's wisdom".

So then tell me what exactly he said. I bet you can't even translate it without asking somebody else :p
And at least Cynthia has one line that indeed shows her wisdom. Alder has nothing, absolutely nothing! Just because you don't like Cynthia's lines, or what's more likely, don't understand the deeper meaning of them, you don't have the right to talk about her in such a cynical way.

And if it hadn't been his duty to battle the winner of the Junior Cup, I guess he would probably have fallen asleep again.

Which would have been more entertaining than anything Cynthia ever did. XD

No, it would have been more ridiculous than anything awkward Alder ever did ;)
By the way, tournaments have always been serious business and not a entertaining comedy shows...

Last edited:
And at least Cynthia has one line that indeed shows her wisdom.

When two people meet, something happens! Thank you Shirona, really couldn't have worked that one out without you. You know, for all my life, I thought meeting other people was utterly meaningless and had no impact on me, but Shirona showed us all that that was a lie. Then she proceeded to point out that the sky was blue and the grass was green and that the sun was warm, cause that's about how deep she's going. She was as shallow as a kiddie pool in this episode and really served no purpose whatsoever but to ruin what could have been an interesting battle with her incessant and redundant prattling.

By the way, tournaments have always been serious business and not a entertaining comedy shows...

By the way, tournaments have always had both elements of comedy and drama, and were never full on serious business. To me, the Adeku and Shooti battle exemplified that to a T.

And at least Cynthia has one line that indeed shows her wisdom.

When two people meet, something happens! Thank you Shirona, really couldn't have worked that one out without you. You know, for all my life, I thought meeting other people was utterly meaningless and had no impact on me, but Shirona showed us all that that was a lie. Then she proceeded to point out that the sky was blue and the grass was green and that the sun was warm, cause that's about how deep she's going. She was as shallow as a kiddie pool in this episode and really served no purpose whatsoever but to ruin what could have been an interesting battle with her incessant and redundant prattling.

First of all, every saying wants to express some truth about everyday life. The function of a saying is not to give us completely new scientific insights but to remind us of the truth and the basic things in life we tend to forget so often.
Now regarding Cynthia's famous catchphrase, in hindsight it's easy for you to say that you could have worked it out without her, but the question is not if it's a simple truth or not but if you're the first one to come up with a new idea. I'd like you to read the story about the Egg of Columbus, and then I hope you'll understand ;)
And even if Cynthia's line expresses a simple truth at first glance, it actually goes so much deeper if you take a closer look because it affects the basis of all human life. "Whenever one life meets another life, something will be born" is so profound, it could as well be found in the Holy Bible.

By the way, tournaments have always had both elements of comedy and drama, and were never full on serious business.
Did you forget the Sinnoh League? It has been the best competition so far, exactly because there was no comedy in it.

if you're the first one to come up with a new idea.

Except it wasn't new at all. The whole show has always been about relationships influencing characters, and numerous characters have expressed that idea. In this very episode, the same could have been expressed without Shirona by, gasp, actually letting Hikari and Satoshi talk through their battle about how they had influenced one another and what their friendship meant. But no, Shirona had to go on with her insignificant drivel.

Did you forget the Sinnoh League? It has been the best competition so far, exactly because there was no comedy in it.

Fukumaru in the Kohei battle was all about comedy, as was Shirona's presence. Jun and Hikari in the stands had their moments as well.

Did you forget Team Rocket, Conway and Cynthia herself?

Fukumaru in the Kohei battle was all about comedy, as was Shirona's presence.

huh? Tell me only one scene during the Sinnoh League in which Cynthia was supposed to be funny! Being indecisive about which ice cream to choose from? Eating ice cream publicly? Don't feel offended but if you consider that funny, you must have a strange sense of humor. And I wasn't talking about Gible, Barry or Team Rocket, I was just focusing on Cynthia.

if you're the first one to come up with a new idea.

Except it wasn't new at all. The whole show has always been about relationships influencing characters, and numerous characters have expressed that idea. In this very episode, the same could have been expressed without Shirona by, gasp, actually letting Hikari and Satoshi talk through their battle about how they had influenced one another and what their friendship meant. But no, Shirona had to go on with her insignificant drivel.
Now you're contradicting yourself. On the one hand you're saying that the power and importance of relationships has always been an important element of the show but on the other hand you keep calling Cynthia's lines "insignificant drivel". Either it's insignificant in which case the message of the whole show, and the show itself, would be insignificant or it's not as unimportant as you think it is in which case I have to assume that you just don't like Cynthia and thus desperately look for reasons to insult her. (I won't allow that though)

And even if you're right when you're saying that Cynthia wasn't the first one to come up with that idea, you at least have to admit that nobody before her was able to express that thought in such a beautiful, profound and solemn way. This alone makes her superior to anyone else!

Being indecisive about which ice cream to choose from? Eating ice cream publicly?

Those were put there for comedy.

On the one hand you're saying that the power and importance of relationships has always been an important element of the show but on the other hand you keep calling Cynthia's lines "insignificant drivel".

It takes the message of the show and turns it into insignificant drivel because instead of actually showing that through Satoshi and Hikari battling, showing how their journey and friendship influenced one another, we have Shirona saying really obvious stuff that reads like a bad Hallmark card or a cheap fortune cookie. A leitmotiv is just a string of words until you show it through actions. Here, Shirona's words were as empty as her character and actually took away from what could have been a great battle that would have conveyed the show's message much better.

You know, I didn't look at this thread at all until today, but... it's hilarious how much nonsensical criticism of dialogue the critics themselves admit to not actually understanding the content of there as here.
Particularly the people complaining about how Shirona's "words of wisdom" were the same as always (they weren't), and how Adeku's words were far more insightful (they mostly touched on the same things) were amusing.

EDIT: The last page or so has been almost entirely a former moderator's back-and-forth arguing about some dialogue he made up and pretended was actually in the episode, too. Even better. Sorry for being flippant, but this is too funny to not comment on.

Last edited:
I don't think Kotetsu is stupid he is more like insane, gullible and clumsy. He gets bogus information from an unknown source and believes it stupidity does not explain that but insanity does. People can believe what others say but still be good at problem solving, math and debating. Grabbing the wrong object is not a factor of your intelligence it is a mistake clumsy. While he spout out things which were completely wrong he did have a good explanation for the 8th badge slot which was consistent with what we saw in Kanto. Stupidity does not explain why he would think the Unova league is in Kanto because he has no reason to believe that. It comes from no where. And you can't be too hard on the guy for getting the date wrong I missed the Arceus event because I made a math error and thought I had more time. Does that mean I'm stupid? Absolutely not because I'm still able to do math well other times and I have could explanation skills at times. I'm also able to deduce things and understand concepts.

WAIT was he looking right at the remote in that case unless he was tired he's dumb

Ash/Dawn battle should've had a winner. I wanted Ash to kick Dawn's ass, but Cynthia said NO!!! :shakingmyhead: :( :x

I don't actually hate the arc BUT it could of been much MUCH better,i mean dawn just was there, worse i saw her as iris 2.0 FUCKING IRIS i mean on the one hand gold (misty, may and dp dawn) on the other hand painful agonising failure (iris and bw dawn) and kotetsu??? he is KANTO/ASH BUT WORSE!!!!!!!! if it was put in the advance or dp series but HERE goddamit, trip, one hitting KO everyone and alder o-hit KO him WTF i wanted to see a better battle, cilan still funny but he was sideline badly, iris the in my opinion the most hated main characther and what does the writers decide to do, give her a dragonite A FREACKING DRAGONITE and she even if she can't control it she got 2 undeserve victories before being ultimatly defeated by ash and speacking of him he was your tipical bw/kanto ash, BUT is great that his krokoroke evolve and it was funny how it was piplup vs oshawott for meloeta and sad there goodbyes, and the dawn vs ash battle was the thing i wanted to see the most but chynthia just HAD to stop it, overall it did suck but i still can't hate it, don't know why but i hope may kick her ass in the wallace cup, and speacking of may she and misty had better returns in the anime and comparing it to dawns return is like doing the joke i did in this very same comment, so i hope and demmand that the writers decide to return misty and/or may to the anime and/or give dawn a second change, but please DON'T BLOW IT

That was a really good episode. The beginning bored me like I knew it would. I'm not interested in Shooti. Thankfully the battle was over quickly and he trotted off (Good riddance) The battle between Satoshi and Dawn was short and sweet and I'm glad she didn't use Pochama or Mamoswine. The farewell was cute too, although It would have been nice if Hikari and Dent had said a few parting words to eachother.

The new guy? So far, I love him although he's nothing new. He screams Barry and Bell to me, but that personality is always fun to have around so I'm not complaing. Confusing the tv remote for his Pokedex did make me laugh ^^

All in all, a good episode.

Alder keychains for everyone!!!!!! Ash, Iris, Cilan, and Dawn look like they don't know what to do with their's. Trip is Alder's biggest fan!! So I guess I know what he's gonna do with his.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom