• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Overhaul Is Suitable

Ghetsis-Dennis

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Every generation tends to bring something new to the game mechanics. Gen II brought genders, day/nighttimes, breeding, items, and the special split, Gen III brought double battles, natures, and an EV/IV overhaul, Gen IV brought the Physical/Special split and inheriting IVs, and Gen V brought Triple battles, Rotation battles, and unbreakable TMs. But what about Gen VI, and how is it going to revolutionize the core gameplay? My prediction here is that there could be an overhaul. What kind of overhaul? I'm not sure. Here are three options on what it could be:

Base Stat Overhaul - redistributing the previous 649's default stats as a way of nerfing the overpowered ones and buffing underpowered ones

Movepool Overhaul - Adding/Removing moves on a Pokemon's movepool without having to get rid of the TM overall (Ex: Removing Ice Beam from Water types without having to get rid of it as a TM move)

Type Chart Overhaul - Adding/Removing a certain type's advantage/disadvantage/resistance to give the lesser used types a chance

Which of these overhaul is best suited as a revolutionary change?

I think I'd like to see a base stat overhaul, but that runs the risk of leaving just as many Pokemon broken or unusable as already are, just different ones. Balancing over 600 critters (700 once Gen VI is out) is tough.

Moveset overhauls already happen between generations, even if it's mostly of the level-up moves, so expanding on that wouldn't be too hard.

Type chart overhaul just sounds for a recipe for disaster.

Moveset overhauls already happen between generations, even if it's mostly of the level-up moves, so expanding on that wouldn't be too hard.

The main focus of the movepool overhaul are TM moves rather than level-up moves, since those are how they achieve their power. Adding/Removing veteran TM moves that have been TMs since the very beginning could benefit others in some way, because it's never been done before. That's why I used Ice Beam as an example.

The main focus of the movepool overhaul are TM moves rather than level-up moves, since those are how they achieve their power. Adding/Removing veteran TM moves that have been TMs since the very beginning could benefit others in some way, because it's never been done before. That's why I used Ice Beam as an example.

That's what I meant by expanding on the changes they already do- they already change level-up move lists between generations (and even between games in the same gen), so they could expand that to overhauling TM compatibilities.

Hmm... that base stat total overhaul sounds quite sexy, but I'd just want the crappy Pokemon to have better stats, and leave the good Pokemon untouched.

That base stat overhaul. The metagame could use a good refresh.

Though, would they really go through that trouble? It would be awesome, but I'm sure they already have quite a lot on their hands developing the new Gen VI pokémon. A change as massive as that would need extensive research and a lot of work.

Type Chart Overhaul, and not just adding and removing current type's effects, what I mean is adding a new type. So simple, yet this will pass on the revolutionary change, you wouldn't even expect that this will destroy the entire metagame and the type chart.

On why I want Game Freak to add a new type in Generation VI, my reasons are simple as well. I want them to refresh the metagame and the core gameplay; and at the same time, for Game Freak to have fresh new ideas in making new Pokemon and new moves and even new themes for a certain generation. Let's face it, adding new Pokemon, new moves, and new abilities is not enough; if they want the franchise to be still interesting as the years pass, they need changes, sometimes small, but sometimes big.

On what new type I want Game Freak to introduce in Generation VI? It's the Light-type. Yeah, I know it's been suggested for a long time since Gold and Silver, and has been criticized by most Pokemon fans (and some of you here as well), but it is the remaining new type that will make sense for Game Freak to add it on their type chart. I know why the critics criticized the Light-type on Pokemon. Some say that the Dark-type on Pokemon is not about darkness (which I know is true); some are afraid on overhauls on the type chart just because they are used to it; some say that Psychic and Fighting-types is already alike to that of the Light-type. My response on the latter, the attributes of the Psychic-type is that they can use Psychic powers, and the Fighting-type's attributes is that they use martial arts and they are fighting physically, they don't have the attributes on empathy, which I will now explain in the next paragraph.

My definition on the Light-type is not the good versus evil that most of the Pokemon fans thought of regarding the said type, but our meaning to that is empathy or enlightenment. Since the Dark-type Pokemon's behaviors are using dirty tricks and cheap tactics, then the Light-type Pokemon's behaviors are they are good-hearted, soothing, and helpful. So what I mean is, the Light-type is a behavioral type like the Dark-type. Of course, this doesn't mean Light-type's moves will be mostly supporting moves, they'll have attacking moves as well.

So yeah, I'm hoping that this is the overhaul that Game Freak should implement in Generation VI, especially that they will be moving to the Nintendo 3DS.

Last edited:
Type Chart Overhaul, and not just adding and removing current type's effects, what I mean is adding a new type. So simple, yet this will pass on the revolutionary change, you wouldn't even expect that this will destroy the entire metagame and the type chart.

On why I want Game Freak to add a new type in Generation VI, my reasons are simple as well. I want them to refresh the metagame and the core gameplay; and at the same time, for Game Freak to have fresh new ideas in making new Pokemon and new moves and even new themes for a certain generation. Let's face it, adding new Pokemon, new moves, and new abilities is not enough; if they want the franchise to be still interesting as the years pass, they need changes, sometimes small, but sometimes big.

On what new type I want Game Freak to introduce in Generation VI? It's the Light-type. Yeah, I know it's been suggested for a long time since Gold and Silver, and has been criticized by most Pokemon fans (and some of you here as well), but it is the remaining new type that will make sense for Game Freak to add it on their type chart. I know why the critics criticized the Light-type on Pokemon. Some say that the Dark-type on Pokemon is not about darkness (which I know is true); some are afraid on overhauls on the type chart just because they are used to it; some say that Psychic and Fighting-types is already alike to that of the Light-type. My response on the latter, the attributes of the Psychic-type is that they can use Psychic powers, and the Fighting-type's attributes is that they use martial arts and they are fighting physically, they don't have the attributes on empathy, which I will now explain in the next paragraph.

My definition on the Light-type is not the good versus evil that most of the Pokemon fans thought of regarding the said type, but our meaning to that is empathy or enlightenment. Since the Dark-type Pokemon's behaviors are using dirty tricks and cheap tactics, then the Light-type Pokemon's behaviors are they are good-hearted, soothing, and helpful. So what I mean is, the Light-type is a behavioral type like the Dark-type. Of course, this doesn't mean Light-type's moves will be mostly supporting moves, they'll have attacking moves as well.

So yeah, I'm hoping that this is the overhaul that Game Freak should implement in Generation VI, especially that they will be moving to the Nintendo 3DS.

It wouldn't make sense to have a Light type of empathy and enlightenment when the whole point of certain Pokémon's Pokédex entries (as well as some story elements) to do that work for you. Take Reshiram/Zekrom for example, the Truth/Ideals battle. Intertwined with N's backstory and development, that's given us Black & White with a story that outlines a lot of things we might not have thought about before.
It's not that we don't have any of what you listed, it's just how it's applied - distributed differently across different Pokémon. An example: The reason Dark-types have a weakness to Fighting is because it's not just a behavioural type, but because of the Japanese name (Aku) which means Evil. Granted, not every one of these are downright evil, but they represent the archetype - Fighting, on the other hand, has a certain feeling of heroism to it, which comes from that archetype of "good triumphs evil". It's not "good-hearted" as such, but the sense of heroism that some of the Pokémon of this type represent.
Plus, we generally receive some sort of good-natured Pokémon each Generation, mainly being Normal-type Pokémon.
The one thing that I'd like to see come out of this is that Arceus gains Light to his reportoire if it ever comes to frutition. If they ever did do a Light type I would see it being more like a divine sort of type, which would finally give me an excuse to name a Pokémon after Tekken's Angel.
Finally, we can't have Light-type representing actual light - that's what the Electric-type does. A manifestation of photons, maybe...

...of course, the LAST thing the metagame wants (not just the community, mind you) is a new Type to deal with. We have 17 types that cover every element and archetype already, and there's 649 Pokémon to recalculate in the tier list and a whole 100 or so more to add there...that is, given that Generation VI actually happens.

I'm not sure how, but I would be okay with a change in base stats if it meant some of the NU Pokemon got some love. I'm tired of the unpopular Pokemon getting otherwise ignored.

Im going to say the Base Stat Overhaul is the best. Id like to see some Pokemon get better stats and for things to become more balanced. I do not want to see any new types or changes to the Type chart, I think it's fine how it is I also don't really want to see any major changes to movepools or TMs.

I'm meh about all of them.

The base stat one would have a pretty awesome effect on the metagame and stuff, but there are ways to balance it more without screwing around with stats. Instead of giving something like, say, Delcatty, a 90/100/100/80/80/95 base stat spread or something, expand its movepool to include really good moves, like Sketch maybe a 180 base power Normal-type attack that doesn't lower your stats like V-create. Or give it a good ability, like maybe an ability that boosts defense and sp defense by two stages each time it takes a hit. I mean, these are just examples, but I think changing stats just to balance the metagame more is a stupid thing to do.

Same with the other two overhauls. Through I think adding old moves (ie Flamethrower) to a Pokemon's movepool is fine.

The Base Stat Overhaul, definitely. Many Pokémon will be thankful.

GF's put decent thought into the BSs of each of the pokémon, concerning how physically durable Delcatty is or how threatening Haxorus's power is these stats aren't something GF would ever start tinker around with. E.g. I'm neither in favor of increasing the average BST (which GF seem to be doing on it's own chord) or having 500BST Volbeat and 450BST Scizor for the sake of a metagame shuffle.
I'm in favor of the introduction of a new type, or a pair of them. I'm also possible a slight movepool tweek could be in place, wherein overdistributed coverage moves could be looked over, I'm unsure how they'd handle it though.

You know, I just realised, if they removed moves like Ice Beam from the reportoire of Pokémon from previous Generations for them to learn, they just need to learn it in a previous Generation and bam, instant Ice Beam. It's especially easy to do this in Generation V so this is pointless if a previous Generation can allow them to learn those moves before a transfer to the newer Generation.

You know, I just realised, if they removed moves like Ice Beam from the reportoire of Pokémon from previous Generations for them to learn, they just need to learn it in a previous Generation and bam, instant Ice Beam. It's especially easy to do this in Generation V so this is pointless if a previous Generation can allow them to learn those moves before a transfer to the newer Generation.

There is the idea of Gen V games being incompactible to Gen VI games ala GBA days to prevent such a thing (as well as giving an excuse for a R/S/E remake).

I'd say type chart overhaul. I guess a new type would be nice, but I can't think of anything. Only type people seem to think of is Light, which is kind redundant to me, but eh. I want a type chart overhaul though because one thing that annoys me is poison does nothing against steel. Now if that was anything like acid on metal, it'd be super effective. But that's just my opinion.

There is the idea of Gen V games being incompactible to Gen VI games ala GBA days to prevent such a thing (as well as giving an excuse for a R/S/E remake).

... I'm pretty sure the shitstorms that would cause would be nowhere near worth it. Cutting off past gen compatibility just to get one move out of a few movesets is complete overkill.

Watch as the fans go rabid from what you just said. They'll be pointing out that the 3DS is perfectly capable of connecting with previous DS systems (like the DSi to 3DS transfer).
...of course, it may just be me at the moment but such a thing would anger the fanbase to make Generation VI the worst Generation of all time next to Generation III in their eyes.

There's why that idea doesn't work...I should also point out it removes something that a Pokémon should be able to logically learn (and that has been able to learn for so many years now).

Edit: Before you get into Flare Blitz, that's a case (reversed given that we were talking about removing moves from Pokémon rather than adding them) of people who want Flareon to have it just because of the name and purpose. Sure, it could very well use it, but it seems Game Freak disagrees with it being capable of using its power. Might be attributed to the factors of energy/strength/size of the Pokémon.

I'd say type chart overhaul. I guess a new type would be nice, but I can't think of anything. Only type people seem to think of is Light, which is kind redundant to me, but eh. I want a type chart overhaul though because one thing that annoys me is poison does nothing against steel. Now if that was anything like acid on metal, it'd be super effective. But that's just my opinion.

I'm guessing it's because most forms of poison are completely resisted by certain types of metal. I guess we need to do the research on this to see what metals are resistant to corrosion from acid...though I assume they aren't.
However, what acid does is some form of corrosion that causes rust, which is a slow form of burning. So it's not so much poison itself attacking the metal, which doesn't happen, it's that acid is some form of burning. Still, Pokémon logic.
...I admit that I don't remember my Chemistry lessons, so feel free to correct me on this.

Last edited:
Watch as the fans go rabid from what you just said. They'll be pointing out that the 3DS is perfectly capable of connecting with previous DS systems (like the DSi to 3DS transfer).
...of course, it may just be me at the moment but such a thing would anger the fanbase to make Generation VI the worst Generation of all time next to Generation III in their eyes.

I thought Gen V was the worst Generation of all time next to Gen III? Seriously, l've seen a lot of criticism for its content from here and 4chan.

There's why that idea doesn't work...I should also point out it removes something that a Pokémon should be able to logically learn (and that has been able to learn for so many years now).

But it's the only way to have the base stat/movepool overhaul to work. Part of the reason why you couldn't transfer your Pokemon from Gen II to Gen III is because of the EVs/IVs overhaul mechanic, which had a different function in the first two gens.

Edit: Before you get into Flare Blitz, that's a case (reversed given that we were talking about removing moves from Pokémon rather than adding them) of people who want Flareon to have it just because of the name and purpose. Sure, it could very well use it, but it seems Game Freak disagrees with it being capable of using its power. Might be attributed to the factors of energy/strength/size of the Pokémon.

Larvesta would like a word with you.

Um, no to all of those. All of those seem very unnecessary. :/

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom