• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S15 EP37: All for the Love of Meloetta!

garrison-san

someone in the dark
Reaction score
BW085 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Ash and friends run into Cynthia, the champion of the Sinnoh region, who has come to Unova to participate in a battle in an upcoming tournament, and decide to accompany her. Along the way, they encounter the legendary pokemon Meloetta, who has been badly hurt following a run-in with Team Rocket, who still have their sights set upon capturing the Melody pokemon. Meanwhile, Iris is excited at the prospect of challenging Cynthia and her Garchomp to a battle.

Something I didn't notice the first time watching in Japanese, after Axew's Giga Impact, he had about the most realistic depiction of the recharge time that the anime has shown - Axew looked genuinely immobilised by doing the attack, which is really what should always happen.

Otherwise, nothing particularly interesting happened this episode, it's all really just setting up for next week. The Pokemon World Tournament Junior Cup kept it's name as it was, and despite how stupid it made Ash for not understanding it as English words in English, the way the dub did Ash being confused was better than I expected. Cynthia's personality is nice in this episode - it's a shame she does very little over this arc.

It's a bit annoying that 'it's a long story' is about the extent of the Sinnoh references, but at least we got through the episode without him scanning Glaceon or Garchomp, so there's a plus. Iris seemed genuinely humble for about the first time ever, so that's good as well.

No changes to the dub at all for the 'Season 2' - but I think we will be 11 episodes away from the third series at this point, so saving changes until then probably does make sense on balance, as horribly old as the clips in the title sequence are now.

So overall - Meh..loetta.

So, the cameos begin in the Virbank area, just like in the game. Cynthia, Dawn, maybe a few other people too, I don't know.

First off, Cynthia said she left her change at the Bearticone Stand? In a major city? And she just went back and got it? What kind of place is Virbank? Any other place in Unova and that change would've been gone.

Anyway, we see Meloetta again in this episode. She's zapped by Team Rocket while they try to catch... her? And Ash and friends while driving around in Cynthia's car, which is an open top Jeep Wrangler Geotracker expy, which is what everyone in all Pokémon seems to drive. This is effectively the start of Meloetta's story arc, right? I think? Looks like it. And whaddaya know, Oshawott likes... her. Oshawott is gonna fill the role of Brock while he's out becoming a doctor, I guess. But a Pokémon equivalent of Brock in that he's a hound for all the ladies, but then almost immediately after pursuing them, he loses interest. Emolga is RIGHT THERE and is willing to entertain his advances, but he don't want none. Not anymore. Like Brock, he's a one shot Johnny who forgets all about how he used to feel. And Ash, he crushed ice for hours, only to find out he didn't need to anymore. I know Ash never catches the legendaries, but for all that hot work he's owed SOMETHING.

Iris had been eyeing Cynthia all episode. Why? Because Cynthia has a Garchomp. At first I thought Iris wanted to trade Pokémon or something, that really would've been forward. But all she wanted to do was battle. Ash did the same with Cynthia back in the last gen, so I was paying close attention to this battle.

Then the battle came. Ash never beat Cynthia, did he? Could Iris do it before him? That'd really suck for him if she could, all the crap he's been through. Axew opens with Scratch, I think. Pitiful choice. Might as well have used Struggle. But then Axew suddenly learned Giga Impact and, to quote a Pokémon trainer I met once, I was "super shocked". I'm not entirely sure, but don't you, like with Hyper Beam, have to be in your final evolutionary stage to learn Giga Impact? Probably not, not according to what I'm seeing on Bulbapedia. Anyway, Cynthia cut the battle short. I think she did the same with Ash. A classy move. Don't wanna curbstomp anybody.

One issue though, why did Cilan have to, once again, make a cooking allegory out of this? If Cynthia is a seasoned chef, Iris is a novice going through cooking school? We don't need him to say that, we can clearly see that Cynthia is the veteran and Iris is the newbie. He didn't have to explain that one to us. Cynthia good, Iris not so good yet. It's not a complicated trope.

Then Ash and company got on a boatplane to a this Pokémon Junior World Cup Tournay (I forgot the name too) where Dawn and my hero Piplup are apparently waiting at a lush looking mansion. And it doesn't look like Dawn's eyes changed like Ash's did. What big reunions may come of this? Can't wait for next week.

This might sound stupid, but Dawn's dub voice is unchanged from DP right?

Decent episode.

Not too much action, but what was there was acceptable. Cynthia and Dawn both sounded just as I remember them.

Poor dub Oshawott. You will know true pain of the heart, before Best Wishes ends.

Iris had been eyeing Cynthia all episode. Why? Because Cynthia has a Garchomp. At first I thought Iris wanted to trade Pokémon or something, that really would've been forward. But all she wanted to do was battle. Ash did the same with Cynthia back in the last gen, so I was paying close attention to this battle.

Then the battle came. Ash never beat Cynthia, did he? Could Iris do it before him? That'd really suck for him if she could, all the crap he's been through. Axew opens with Scratch, I think. Pitiful choice. Might as well have used Struggle. But then Axew suddenly learned Giga Impact and, to quote a Pokémon trainer I met once, I was "super shocked". I'm not entirely sure, but don't you, like with Hyper Beam, have to be in your final evolutionary stage to learn Giga Impact? Probably not, not according to what I'm seeing on Bulbapedia. Anyway, Cynthia cut the battle short. I think she did the same with Ash. A classy move. Don't wanna curbstomp anybody.

I don't think Ash ever battled Cynthia. Paul did, and either she cut it short against him or he realized he was seriously outmatched. Also, some Pokemon can learn Hyper Beam/Giga Impact before fully evolving.

The dub just get's better and better, this episode was downright amazing, cynthia was hilarous and she seems like a different person to her diamond and pearl counterpart, 'bit more laid back" and dawn!! OMG! i had a total fangasm when i saw her, but i had an even bigger fangasm when i saw PIPLUP!!! OMG!!! i love his dub voice soo much!! i literally squeled! OMYGAWSH!

10/10

Absolutely brilliant, cannot wait for the next episode! YAHOO

This might sound stupid, but Dawn's dub voice is unchanged from DP right?

That's right. Emily Jenness didn't leave the show when Dawn did, as well as some Pokémon she now voices the Unova Officer Jenny (as well as Cynthia). So getting her back was never an issue.

Welcome back, my most wonderful angel!
Cynthia is here, nothing else matters anymore. I feel like in heaven and I'm just blissfully happy. Everything is perfect.

Did you see how gently and with how much knowledge Cynthia was treating Meloetta?
Oh my God, I so wished I were Meloetta in that scene. Even if I were so ill that I had to die, I wouldn't care anymore because I'd know I was touched by an angel and nothing else would matter anymore! Oh happy Meloetta, I hope you'll always remember the happiest day of your life!

I'm glad that Cynthia will only have an exhibition match with Caitlin and not a real battle. That explains why she won't have to defeat the Elite Four member in the first place

Also, I'm glad it turned out that Cynthia didn't prevent Garchomp from defending against Axew's Giga Impact because she had intended that battle to be a training battle all the time. That makes her even greater because she's so nice as to even help young trainers to improve. Oh Cynthia, there are no words to describe that you're the greatest! :unworthy:

Now I feel that there's no need to say much more. In the next few weeks I'll just be in heaven...and nothing else matters

(By the way, I'm wondering why people keep asking if Ash had ever battled Cynthia! Everybody should know that he didn't, of course!)

I just caught the episode. Did Cynthia always have such a good dub voice?

When Meloetta fell down that cliff, why didn't the TRio use their magic goggles again? It might not have worked if Meloetta went far, but it seemed like it would be worth a shot.

Cynthia is here, nothing else matters anymore. I feel like in heaven and I'm just blissfully happy. Everything is perfect.

Did you see how gently and with how much knowledge Cynthia was treating Meloetta?
Oh my God, I so wished I were Meloetta in that scene. Even if I were so ill that I had to die, I wouldn't care anymore because I'd know I was touched by an angel and nothing else would matter anymore! Oh happy Meloetta, I hope you'll always remember the happiest day of your life!

I'm glad that Cynthia will only have an exhibition match with Caitlin and not a real battle. That explains why she won't have to defeat the Elite Four member in the first place

Also, I'm glad it turned out that Cynthia didn't prevent Garchomp from defending against Axew's Giga Impact because she had intended that battle to be a training battle all the time. That makes her even greater because she's so nice as to even help young trainers to improve. Oh Cynthia, there are no words to describe that you're the greatest! :unworthy:

Now I feel that there's no need to say much more. In the next few weeks I'll just be in heaven...and nothing else matters

(By the way, I'm wondering why people keep asking if Ash had ever battled Cynthia! Everybody should know that he didn't, of course!)

Show of hands, people...who didn't see this coming?

*crickets chirping*

My thoughts exactly.

I kinda figured that Cynthia and Garchomp were pulling their punches against Iris and Axew; otherwise, the little dragon would've been smeared all over the grass. That's not a good thing for a champion to do to a fan.

This was one of the instances where I thought Axew would evolve, but he didn't. Although learning Giga Impact was a plus in and of itself. I'm so happy that we got to see Garchomp in this episode. I was kinda thinking that Iris might want to see that Garchomp since she's in to dragons, and I was right. I'm glad Cynthia didn't completely obliterate Axew in this episode, it would have been kinda jerkish for Cynthia to do that, but instead she acted like an experienced master and let Iris train with her Garchomp.

I'm really excited about Dawn and Piplup next week. I'm looking forward to seeing how Dawn and Iris interact. It would be interesting to see Iris getting jealous of Ash and Dawn's previous adventures. I give this episode 9.5/10.

Is it just me, or is this episode really nicely dubbed if you don't count Team Rocket or a certain pinguin with an ear destroying voice?

Anyway, Garchomp/Axew's battle was awesome and the episode itself...meh.

I had no idea Axew could learn Giga Impact on its own. Well played, Iris.

That said, seeing Cynthia and Dawn again made me want to start rewatching the DP episodes. And Meloetta has such a nice voice. I'm quite pleased with this episode.

Show of hands, people...who didn't see this coming?

huh? What do you mean? :D

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom