• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW106: Dageki Appears! Satoshi VS Kenyan!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BW106 Krookodile and BW107 Hydreigon

Shooti relied mainly on Jalorda in battles and the same goes for Bel and her Emboar, so it's just a case of rookies making rookie mistakes.

It's not just a matter of a trainer making a mistake by choosing to use his or her most powerful pokemon right off the bat. Kotetsu has probably never even seen Bianca battle, so she is she another league opponent to him. The writers are merely deciding to eliminate the rivals that they have focused a lot of time on already first, and are focusing on rivals that barely had any screentime to begin with. The writers ultimately decide who wins and loses these battles; the match-ups are inconsequential. This battle could be Ferrothorn vs. Emboar, or Riolu vs. Escavalier, and the writers will still construct the battle in a way that will grant victory to the character that they want to showcase more in this league. The writers just want to focus on Kotetsu and Virgil in this league. That's all.

Besides, we have only seen Trip and Bianca use one or two pokemon on-screen since BW070. Just because a trainer is shown to be using just one or only a few pokemon on-screen most of the time does not mean that these trainers don't have experience battling with their other pokemon. We don't know how Trip or Bianca's teams have changed since their latest appearances. Obviously both have earned the eight badges needed to advance to the Unova League. For all we know, both Bianca and Trip have six pokemon each.

Bel losing here is probably to set her on her road to becoming Araragi-Hakase's assistant if the writers are following the games and her giving up being a serious trainer.

That is still up for speculation. What happens to all of these characters after this competition is anybody's guess.

At the end of the day the writers were probably thinking it would be a great way to show Kotetsu's skill if he was able to catch and/or raise a Dragon and thought it would make an excellent league battle.

It seems to me that the writers were running out of Gen V pokemon that were not legendaries to give to the major rivals. I could not have seen Stephan own a Liepard, or Kotetsu owning a Hydreigon. Again, there are only a few non-legendary pokemon that have yet to debut in Unova: Zoroark, Klang, and Eelektrik are the others, and two of them are not fully evolved. Most of the evolutionary families in Unova either belong to a main character, a rival, or a recurring COTD. The writers don't like featuring pokemon from the same family belonging to two different trainers unless one of them was a main character.

Meanwhile, no major character has owned a member of the Deino family. The writers did not want to give Virgil anything that was not Eevee-related, so they choose to give a Hydreigon to Kotetsu by process of elimination.

You have to remember Riolu evolves by friendship and some Pokemon simply choose not to evolve and writers will not evolve Pokemon for marketing purposes and we've never seen Riolu in battle so we can't assume he's a weakling because of Riolu because Daikenki in itself is impressive.

True, Riolu is arguably Kotetsu's main pokemon, not Samurott or Hydreigon. On that magazine scan highlighting the league competition from a few weeks ago, Ash and his main rivals were featured on their own panels with their main pokemon. Trip had Serperior, Bianca had Emboar, Stephan had Sawk, Virgil had Eevee and Vaporeon, and Ash had Pikachu.

Again, it does not matter whether a pokemon is unevolved. The writers can decide how strong certain pokemon will be in certain situations, and Kotetsu's Riolu is no exception. Upon further examination, Riolu's victory over Emboar (assuming that this is a 1-on-1) is very similar to Pikachu winning over Trip's Serperior despite the massive type disadvantage.

Last edited:

It's not just a matter of a trainer making a mistake by choosing to use his or her most powerful pokemon right off the bat. As far as we know, Kotetsu has not seen Bianca battle, so to him she is just another league opponent.
True, true. I didn't mean it being a mistake in that regard actually. ^^;; More so a mistake in Shooti and Bel mainly using their starters in-general and not focusing on other Pokemon in their party to show them as viable strengths outside of their power players.

The writers are merely deciding to eliminate the rivals that they have focused a lot of time on already first, and are focusing on rivals that barely had any screentime to begin with.
I don't think so, I don't think it has anything to do with focus to be honest. Kotetsu and Satoshi are similar to each other and I just think the writers wanted to focus on them mainly, probably because of Riolu and Eevee being BW2 advertisement mascots. But keep in mind that Shooti and Bel still are newbies.

The writers ultimately decide who wins and loses these battles; the match-ups are inconsequential. This battle could be Ferrothorn vs. Emboar, or Riolu vs. Escavalier, and the writers will still construct the battle in a way that will grant victory to the character that they want to showcase more in this league. The writers just want to focus on Kotetsu and Virgil in this league. That's all.
I don't think so, it just seems like BW's unpredictability coming into play once again. Because Virgil debuted right before the league and I'm positive his main mission in life is Eevee advertisement, so I'm guessing they want to focus on him, like you said, but not from a story focus perspective.

Besides, we have only seen how Trip and Bianca battled on-screen. Just because a trainer is shown to be using just one or only a few pokemon on-screen most of the time does not mean that these trainers don't have experience battling with their other pokemon. We don't know how Trip or Bianca's teams have changed since their latest appearances. Obviously both have earned the eight badges needed to advance to the Unova League. For all we know, both Bianca and Trip have six pokemon each.
We actually know Shooti has six Pokemon ^^ Jalorda, Rouboshin, Banipuuchi, Ranpura, Hatooboh, and Pururiru. Bel has her Chevargo and Chillarmy. Of course with Shooti Pikachu seems like a direct counter to such an agile Pokemon, so it makes sense Satoshi would use Pikachu first. Surely Bel could save her Emboar for a more rougher match, I mean a Miruhog shouldn't be too difficult an opponent for Chillarmy to defeat? Unless Bel is relying on type-advantage it makes sense. It's true, they both earned 8 badges so we at least know they were skilled enough to get that far in their own rights.

That is still up for speculation. What happens to all of these characters after this competition is anybody's guess.
This is very very true.

It seems to me that the writers were running out of Gen V pokemon that were not legendaries to give to the major rivals. I could not have seen Stephan own a Liepard, or Kotetsu owning a Hydreigon. Again, there are only a few non-legendary pokemon that have yet to debut in Unova: Zoroark, Klang, and Eelektrik are the others, and two of them are not fully evolved. Most of the evolutionary families in Unova either belong to a main character, a rival, or a recurring COTD. The writers don't like featuring pokemon from the same family belonging to two different trainers unless one of them was a main character.
I actually thought the writers would give them non-Isshu Pokemon, I don't think debut has anything to do with them receiving those respective Pokemon, since Lepardas technically debuted back in the unaired episode and Sanzandora has been seen twice already. Actually Shooti and Langley both have a member of the Ice cream family, Kengo and Jun both had penguins, Cabernet and Kotetsu have otters, I don't think its a dislike or certain taste, just them going with what they think would be cool.

Meanwhile, no major character has owned a member of the Deino family. The writers did not want to give Virgil anything that was not Eevee-related, so they choose to give a Hydreigon to Kotetsu by process of elimination.
I don't think its a process of elimination, since it's not so out-of-the-park for Shooti to own one either.

Again, it does not matter whether a pokemon is unevolved. The writers can decide how strong certain pokemon will be in certain situations, and Kotetsu's Riolu is no exception.
I agree completely with this.

I think Kotetsu is just sorta like a "Pokemon Savant" if anything. :p We know his true power ignites in battle when he's pushed around a little bit.

What...

...So...the owner of the Hydregion...

...is KOTETSU?!

Who the fuck even thought this up?! I mean, really! KOTETSU, a person with about the same IQ points as KANTO ASH, gets a fucking SAZANDORA?!

I've lost all hope. Kotetsu will obviously beat Satoshi. If not, Satoshi will lose to Virgil.

Funny how Ash's rivals are being knocked out the tournament in debute order, Trip, Bianca, Stephan, Kotetsu

Unless Hydreigon was given to Kotetsu by his dad or something, this is in no way worse than Iris and Dragonite. For all we know he could have caught a Deino at the beginning of his journey and actually trained the damn thing, unlike Dragonite who joined Iris for no apparent reason.

The thing that really annoys me about these eps (and the league in general) is that the established rivals who have been around since the beginning of best wishes are all losing first. Kind of a kick in the face to all of them (even though I only like Bianca).

Famitsu.png
Kotetsu vs Ash is 6 on 6 (the full 4th round I mean for BW107), it's hinting toward Riolu's evolution.

Krookodile vs Sawk

thanks to bluesun.

Last edited:

I'm sensing a two part battle here. No way you can fit a full battle in one episode.

And what's with Mijumaru in the league? First he's stuffing himself with apples, now he's playing in the water.

Kotetsu vs Ash is 6 on 6, it's hinting toward Riolu's evolution.
Nice. I knew that Lucario would appear in the league, as the Season 2 poster probably has nothing to do with the post-league saga. Just because the poster showed a Riolu and Lucario doesn't mean that they aren't one and the same. That is not how marketing works.

So...Kotetsu's Riolu is evolving :D And it's a full battle apparently. :p Satoshi must have Riolu really in a bind for him to pull out evolution like that.

Lucario, Daikenki, Sanzandora, and Natorrei. Kotetsu has the whole package. I fully expect a Ulgamoth or Zoroark. Seriously, I really like his team a lot.

I'm totally banking on Windie being his, the one in the opening of course.

So...Kotetsu's Riolu is evolving :D And it's a full battle apparently. :p Satoshi must have Riolu really in a bind for him to pull out evolution like that.

Lucario, Daikenki, Sanzandora, and Natorrei. Kotetsu has the whole package. I fully expect a Ulgamoth or Zoroark. Seriously, I really like his team a lot.

Off course , It is !!!
Kotetsu is a non-cast character.
So He doesn't need to keep under-developed little Cutesy Pokemon for Little girl like Ash.
He can have as many Powerfully and fully Evolve Pokemon as much he want no matter how bigger idiot he is.
Seriously , I really hate the luck of all non-cast character.

So if this is the 4th round (is that right?) then this is a top 16 battle? So Ash may get top 8

So this is the first of the full battles? If so, I think there's some rounds being skipped because they don't normally do that for the 32 round, but they did it once before. (reasoning: Trip-128, Stephen-64, this one-32, based only on the number of battles we know) Oh, fourth round. Ok, then evidently there is a battle being skipped.

So if this is the 4th round (is that right?) then this is a top 16 battle? So Ash may get top 8
Not only Ash was unable to won any Tournament , He end up as top 8 in the League.
Seriously , How Worst this series can get ????

It figures Ash vs. Kotetsu is a 6-on-6. So, the confirmed pokemon here are:
Kotetsu- Riolu (probably evolving into Lucario), Ferrothorn, Samurott, Hydreigon
Ash- Pignite

Pikachu might be included here as well since the writers almost always have him included in full battles in past leagues

Off course , It is !!!
Kotetsu is a non-cast character.
So He doesn't need to keep under-developed little Cutesy Pokemon for Little girl like Ash.
He can have as many Powerfully and fully Evolve Pokemon as much he want no matter how bigger idiot he is.
Seriously , I really hate the luck of all non-cast character.
This is Pokemon Best Wishes Season 2, not the "Ash Show". Kotetsu's Riolu evolving was expected due to the opening and the amount of advertising that family has gotten since the reveal of the BW2 games. Sure Kotetsu is an idiot, but like someone else said, so is everyone else in this show. You seem to be ignoring Satoshi's Kenharou, Hahakomori, and Waruvial which are all fully evolved. Gamagaru, Chaobu, and Gantle are second-stagers. Tsutarja, Mijumaru, and Zuruggu are the basic battlers. So your logic is flawed since all are evolved except the snake, otter, and lizard. We all know they're not evolved because of advertisement.

A full battle, huh? Nice.

Got to wonder, will that battle end at 107th episode? Because a title spoiling someone's secret weapon at the 1st battle episode when it should last two is rather strange. I hope they're not planning to make a full battle in a single episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom