• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mistaken Evolutions

Maractus being a branch evo of Cacnea? Like you evolve a female Cacnea into a Maractus via the Dawn Stone or something... At least that was my temporary thought

For some reason, I thought Miltank wuld eveolve into Chansey when I was younger.

Heh, when I was little I tried to make just about every gen 1 Pokemon related in some way. For example, I convinced myself that Onix evolved from Golem and Ghastly was also related to them. (it sort of makes sense... they're next to each other in the Pokedex and I thought Ghastly's head looked kind of like a rock)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I thought Sentret evolved into Ursaring due to the circle on their stomachs. Then I found out about Teddiursa and Furret and that threw my world into flames.

Last edited:
I thought that Arbok evolved into Seviper waay before 4kids made the same mistake. I also thought that Eevee evolved into Espeon and Umbreon via the Sun and Moon stones.

Oh, and it took me forever to realise that Bellossom was even related to Gloom, probably had something to do with them looking nothing like one another.
Speaking of which. Pichu + Leaf Stone = Bellossom? Bellossom looks more like Pikachu than any of the other Oddish line members.
My first playthru of Black, I assumed Sawk and Throh were related.
I can see them getting a Tyrogue style pre-evolution in generation 6.

Last edited:
Other than the Luvdisc > Alomomola, when I was very little and knew like nothing about Pokémon I thought Flygon evolved into Rayquaza.
Don't question it.

When I was little I thought:

Illumise -> Volbeat
Nincada -> Ninjask -> Shedninja

and I thought that Basculin was some sort of Feebas evolution or whatever and that Gulpin was part of the Shroomish evolution line.

The thought crossed my head the other day that I'm pretty surprised more people wouldn't think the lines went Magikarp > Dragonite and Dratini > Dragonair > Gyarados back in the day. Color scheme wise it would have made more sense o.0

But no, I haven't had too many issues with this though I did think Karrablast was going to be a Heracross prevo when it was released.

I thought Slowking evolved from Slowbro, but its actually from Slowpoke, I discovered that while trying to trade one and evolve it...

Also, my uncle tried to convince me that Articuno evolved into Lugia, but I didn't fall for it.

Last edited:
I thought Slowking evolved from Slowbro, but its actually from Slowpoke, I discovered that while trying to trade one and evolve it...

Also, my uncle tried to convince me that Articuno evolved into Lugia, but I didn't fall for it.

That sounds like a cool uncle.

I thought Hypno evolved into Drowzee.

I also thought Pinsir would evolve into Heracross but I think a lot of people thought that.

I thought that for a little while too but then I realized that if Slowbro reverts back into a Slowpoke if Shellder lets go of its tail then there's no way that a Slowbro can become Slowking.

Back in the day I thought Raichu evolved into Pikablu or Electrachu or something. All those Pokégod rumors... and the fact that the guy on Cinnabar actually said that his Raichu evolved (which I know now was a localization error, but I didn't know it at the time, lol)

I thought that for a little while too but then I realized that if Slowbro reverts back into a Slowpoke if Shellder lets go of its tail then there's no way that a Slowbro can become Slowking.

I thought so too. It was amazing to know about the Slowpoke evolution line too. :|

I always think Luvdisc evolves into Alomomola.

It's funny to see that no has posted this one yet but back when Ruby and Sapphire came out I somehow thought that Delcatty was a new Eeveelution I even went out as far and told my friends that its name was wrong and its real name was Delcatteon I know weird. I guess it was that they kind of had similar eyes.

I thought that Arbok evolved into Seviper waay before 4kids made the same mistake. I also thought that Eevee evolved into Espeon and Umbreon via the Sun and Moon stones.

Oh, and it took me forever to realise that Bellossom was even related to Gloom, probably had something to do with them looking nothing like one another.

I thought the same thing for all three of those cases :p

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it would be about corrupted evolutions of Pokemon, like a corollary to Digimon's SkullGreymon and other "dark digivolutions."

Anyway...

Back in the ancient times of when Gen 2 was first debuting, I remember there were a lot of people who thought that Marill (or, as it was popularly known before it debuted, "Pikablu") was some sort of water evolution of Pikachu. I also thought, like others have mentioned, that Plusle and Minun would be related to the Pikachu family in some way when I first saw them in Gen 3.

I had a similar misconception (mentioned here already), except I attempted a trade with Slowpoke instead of Slowbro, so I was surprised this evolution happened because I didn't expect it.

I agree with the other poster: you have a cool uncle.

Thanks for reading.

That sounds like a cool uncle.

I had a similar misconception (mentioned here already), except I attempted a trade with Slowpoke instead of Slowbro, so I was surprised this evolution happened because I didn't expect it.

I agree with the other poster: you have a cool uncle.

Thanks for reading.

Hehe, thanks, he is, such a shame his son is just a mindless troll who can't troll right to save his life...

My friend thought Trapinch was a stand-alone pokemon and didn't believe that it was the pre-evo of the Flygon family. I evolved a Trapinch in front of her for proof.

Way back when I barely had enough information about Pokemon, I thought Mew evolved into Mewtwo.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom