• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Am I the only one around here who...

Am I the only one who found the NPC's in BW BW2 too preachy?

(I don't mean important characters but it seems most of the background NPC's all they ever talk about is "Love and Friendship" I mean I know it's a game devoted to being close to Pokemon, but...)

THIS. NO GOD YOU'RE NOT. I had forgotten to mention that. I was sick of everyone talking about that bullshit of love and friendship with Pokémon and whatnot. I was like "Really, shut the hell up". So annoying.

Am I the only one who found the Sinnoh-located games too bland?

I mean is it so hard to have a NPC that can be a jerk, or have any negative traits at all? Heck, Charles is a Biker Rebel nicknamed "The Heartbreaker" And even he preaches on about caring and friendship, though in an emo kind of way.

Maybe it's not the roster that many people complain about with Black and White/2 it's that every single character in the entire game all say the same thing "I love being with Pokemon" "Friendship with Pokemon is the best thing ever" "I take good care of my Pokemon" just tweak those phrases around several hundred times, and you have every single NPC in the game.

Am i the only one around here that thinks black and white 2 is the hardest of all the main series games (I'm talking about normal mode BTW)

Who is the target audience for Pokémon again...?

Everyone :p I heard that the average age of pokemon gamers have gone up from mid-teen to late-teen and twenties. GF surely knows that it's not only children that enjoy their games, but adults are also more than active in playing. An interview with a GF executive said that the game was intended for EVERYONE - not just children.

Thus, "we are the world" concepts are easily included, yet it's not all sunshines and rainbows. Who wants a five-year-old kid play video games where someone gets abused by their father?

Am I the only one who hates the lack of breeding in B2W2 until post-game?

It's a good thing that it isn't sunshine and lollipops all the time, kids need that, but still, Pokémon is aimed at a lower target audience, and such dialogue reflects that, even if that is not a good thing, even if the players have gotten statistically older, and so did the themes discussed by the games, which is awesome btw, but unfortunately, they aren't going to bring all-around jerkasses as random NPC's any soon. And I find it strange that he said that, most merchandise of the franchise is clearly aimed at small children only... which is sad..

I really don't know what they can do, I just want them to stop that bullshit of love and friendship being in the game 24/7.

It's a good thing that it isn't sunshine and lollipops all the time, kids need that, but still, Pokémon is aimed at a lower target audience, and such dialogue reflects that, even if that is not a good thing, even if the players have gotten statistically older, and so did the themes discussed by the games, which is awesome btw, but unfortunately, they aren't going to bring all-around jerkasses as random NPC's any soon. And I find it strange that he said that, most merchandise of the franchise is clearly aimed at small children only... which is sad..

I said that because as the players mature, the games should too. I mean you had a**holes in the PMD games. If every single NPC in the main games act all sweet and lovey dovey it just gets unrealistic. And yes I know, Pokemon isn't supposed to be realistic, but I prefer it to be as close to reality as they can make it.
And besides there were jerk NPCs previously "Hey if I win give me your bike!" "My Pokemon is much prettier than yours" etc... that's what I miss. NPCs that have personalities outside of greeting cards.
Besides even 5 year olds are above condescending.

The game is for EVERYONE. It's made friendly so people can play it without having to see stuff that can potentially offend. A lot of games have blood and killing and gun shoots with bombs, and most fighting action games just mean you have to punch and kick the other player to death - and not everyone likes that. However, pokemon was meant to be for erveryone, and if it was simply intended for kids, then why isn't the game super easy and baby-ish like Dora the Explorer games or Barney games? Pokemon is more civil, and it loves world peace - something even the real world doesn't have. It's not too baby-ish, and not too gore-ish. It's balanced to appeal to all age groups. And adults can grasp subtle messages in some points in the game. How many kids would have understood the true frightening, eerie realization of how horribly N was brainwashed and abused upon merely entering his room in BW? How many kiddy children would've been able imagine N, a grown-up on the outside, playing with train tracks and toys in his colorful room while that mystic BGM chants inside your head? How many children would've realized how sad that is? Some features in the game are understandable when you're much older, and I think GF knows that.

Am I the only one who though the Mareep walking around the farm were wild?
@Moogleknight24; I think they didn't want to make it seem NPCs are there to bully you as it is a sensitive aspect to people of all ages. Yes, PMD had a bunch of meanies but they were more greedy and selfish. Maybe GF didn't want actual human NPCs being rude to fellow humans because like I said, the game is rather civil.

The game is for EVERYONE. It's made friendly so people can play it without having to see stuff that can potentially offend. A lot of games have blood and killing and gun shoots with bombs, and most fighting action games just mean you have to punch and kick the other player to death - and not everyone likes that. However, pokemon was meant to be for erveryone, and if it was simply intended for kids, then why isn't the game super easy and baby-ish like Dora the Explorer games or Barney games? Pokemon is more civil, and it loves world peace - something even the real world doesn't have. It's not too baby-ish, and not too gore-ish. It's balanced to appeal to all age groups. And adults can grasp subtle messages in some points in the game. How many kids would have understood the true frightening, eerie realization of how horribly N was brainwashed and abused upon merely entering his room in BW? How many kiddy children would've been able imagine N, a grown-up on the outside, playing with train tracks and toys in his colorful room while that mystic BGM chants inside your head? How many children would've realized how sad that is? Some features in the game are understandable when you're much older, and I think GF knows that.

@Moogleknight24; I think they didn't want to make it seem NPCs are there to bully you as it is a sensitive aspect to people of all ages. Yes, PMD had a bunch of meanies but they were more greedy and selfish. Maybe GF didn't want actual human NPCs being rude to fellow humans because like I said, the game is rather civil.

They used to have jerk characters, Rival from Red/Blue, heck the rival from Gold/Silver aside from being a known a**hole also robs people, and Cyrus was to be honest I think had the most depth of any Pokemon character. He had a troubled (Abusive?) childhood so he didn't want to suffer anymore nor did he want anyone else to suffer so he wanted to destroy the universe ultimately killing everyone in it (Which he thought was a small price to pay for his objectives) to create a new universe where suffering is non-existent. He thought he was a good guy doing this. (Though Seymour from Final Fantasy 10 had the exact motives)

Am I the only one around here who doesn't like Dragon-types?

They used to have jerk characters, Rival from Red/Blue, heck the rival from Gold/Silver aside from being a known a**hole also robs people, and Cyrus was to be honest I think had the most depth of any Pokemon character. He had a troubled (Abusive?) childhood so he didn't want to suffer anymore nor did he want anyone else to suffer so he wanted to destroy the universe ultimately killing everyone in it (Which he thought was a small price to pay for his objectives) to create a new universe where suffering is non-existent. He thought he was a good guy doing this. (Though Seymour from Final Fantasy 10 had the exact motives)

Though, why are you obsessed with jerk characters? While I really liked Gary Oak and Silver as rude rivals and such, not EVERY GAME needs to have mean characters to succeed. The games are still appealing to everyone.

Am I the only one who thinks Akuroma is holding an iPad?

Though, why are you obsessed with jerk characters? While I really liked Gary Oak and Silver as rude rivals and such, not EVERY GAME needs to have mean characters to succeed. The games are still appealing to everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like jerks. I just want balance. Without any jerk characters there's no spice. I mean even "Care Bears" had jerks.

Last edited:

Don't get me wrong, I don't like jerks. I just want balance. Without any jerk characters there's no spice. I mean even "Care Bears" had jerks.

There's Ghetsis :p need to say more?

Am I the only one who thinks the contests relied to much on poffins?

Definitely not. I never got passed Ultra Rank.

Am I the only one around here who has almost no criticism for Gen V?

Definitely not. I never got passed Ultra Rank.

Am I the only one around here who has almost no criticism for Gen V?

I could never do the contests... and excluding that one nitpick I mentioned, I have no problem with Gen V at all. The roster is good, N is awesome, Ghetsis is a good villain, and I love White Treehollow, The PWT, Pokemon Movies, Join Avenue. So much stuff to do. I even like the Funfest Missions :D

Am I the only one around here who doesn't like Dragon-types?

Well, I like Dragon-types. I just dislike how abused they are nowadays. I also dislike how almost all legendaries are either Dragon or Psychic.

Am I the only one around here who has never ever participated in a Pokémon Musical and hasn't even entered the building where they're held?

Am I the only one around here who has never ever participated in a Pokémon Musical and hasn't even entered the building where they're held?

No, partially. I've never bothered with the Pokémon Musicals (They seemed boring), but I did enter the building. All I did, though, was run through the Musicals How-To thing, and then leave.

hmm i'm not sure but i nickname my pokemon after anime characters and i'm sure others do that as well.

am i the only one who thinks that Togetic is much cuter than Togekiss, in fact i'd rather not evolve Togetic at all..
I think you alone there. I think Togekiss is cuter than Togetic, and I know it's more powerful. I prefer power over cuteness anyways.

Am I the only one around here who doesn't think Pikachu is all that special?
Your'e not alone. Pikachu would probably just be some weak,left-alone Pokemon that was kinda cute if it wasn't the mascot of the Pokemon franchise.

Am I the only one around here who would get myself a LV 100 Pichu?

I think yes. Pichu is only useful in the Little Cup and it needs to be level 5 to be able to participate. Having a Level 100 Pichu is just useless. Too much training for nothing.

Am I the only one who is disappointed there are only 63 Pokémon in Pokémon Snap?

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom