• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(Mod Note: Read First Post! Updated 6/1/13) Game Freak "expanding Pokémon world"

What do you want and what do you expect?

• I expect and want Gen. VI

Votes: 61 49.2%
  • I expect and want R/S remalkes

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • I expect Gen. VI, but I'd like R/S remakes

Votes: 35 28.2%
  • I expect R/S remakes, but I want Gen. VI

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I expect some spinoff game for Wii U or something like that

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don't expect it will be anything important at all

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

Nothing disastrous happened as a result of the 3DS' lackluster first few months.
Except that Nintendo reported a financial loss for the first time ever, Satoru Iwata and other senior Nintendo figures had to take pay cuts of up to 50% and following the announcement of the price cut, due to the huge drop in share prices, Hiroshi Yamauchi (Nintendo's 3rd President) lost 24.2 Billion yen overnight ($312 Million), not to mention Nintendo losing a lot of face (people are still waiting for a Wii U price cut).
Yeah, "nothing" disastrous happened.

but Generation V would have been adversely affected had people been forced to buy a new console for little to no justifiable reason.
The biggest cited reason for the mediocre launch of the 3DS was the launch titles - the only Nintendo games available on launch day were Pilotwings Resort, Nintendogs + Cats and in some regions, Steel Diver. A must have title like Pokémon would have propelled launch sales of the 3DS. There are people today bitching about how they don't want Gen VI to be on the 3DS because they don't own one...but y'know what? The "No 3DS" complainers will have to shut up and buy one one day if they want to continue playing. I personally know many people who bought a 3DS mainly for Pokémon and those who are holding off on buying one until there is a main series Pokémon game on one.

Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect being released in the same year only indicates that 2013 will be largely about Generation VI. It doesn't mean that there was a change of plans.
Yeah, because Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus were all revealed in the same year weren't they? Oh wait...
Also, no room for Keldeo in Victini's people? Please tell me how the movie writers cared about cramming Celebi, Zorua, Zoroark, Entei, Raikou and Suicune into one movie.

Personally, I would have left Victini out of 2011's movie (having it in the anime instead), with Keldeo as the main star of the 2011 movie, with Meloetta as 2012's main movie star and Genesect as 2013's (along with a Gen VI Pokémon? Have to give something away to kids before a Gen VI game drops). Maybe then I might have believed that it was all planned from the start, but we had Victini taking the end of 2010 and then 2011 all to itself, with Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect quickly pushed out during 2012.

Regardless of any additional games that might have been released, I'm certain that at the very least the Generation IV games would have made better use of the DS features. It is obvious that Game Freak didn't go all the way because they wanted to leave room for innovation in another DS-based generation.
And you're telling me that some of my theories are baseless?

It was easy to miss considering that the Generation V hype was underway shortly after HGSS' release.
It was easy to miss because it wasn't there. Even if there were a few people moaning online, that isn't representative of the millions of young children who are Nintendo and GameFreak's target audience.

Last edited:

Nothing disastrous happened as a result of the 3DS' lackluster first few months.
Except that Nintendo reported a financial loss for the first time ever, Satoru Iwata and other senior Nintendo figures had to take pay cuts of up to 50% and following the announcement of the price cut, due to the huge drop in share prices, Hiroshi Yamauchi (Nintendo's 3rd President) lost 24.2 Billion yen overnight ($312 Million), not to mention Nintendo losing a lot of face (people are still waiting for a Wii U price cut).
Putting the blame on Game Freak is nothing short of silliness. Nintendo handled the launch of the previous systems without relying on Pokémon games.

Yeah, because Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus were all revealed in the same year weren't they? Oh wait...
Your point being? There is nothing weird about things being done differently this time around. The Wi-Fi events have a lot to do with it.

If you don't really believe that this generation was supposed to last four years, please stop arguing about this.

Excuse me? The Generation V games prove that the Generation IV games could have been better. There is nothing baseless about that.

It was easy to miss because it wasn't there. Even if there were a few people moaning online, that isn't representative of the millions of young children who are Nintendo and GameFreak's target audience.
And you have no way of determining how the target audience would have reacted to prolonging Generation IV with nothing to extend it. So let's just drop this.

Putting the blame on Game Freak is nothing short of silliness. Nintendo handled the launch of the previous systems without relying on Pokémon games.
I never said I was blaming GameFreak or Pokémon. You made a blanket statement that said that the Nintendo 3DS' poor launch had no ill effects. Certainly, the lack of any solid first or second party launch titles in general could be partially blamed though (Nintendogs and Pilotwings don't count).

Your point being? There is nothing weird about things being done differently this time around. The Wi-Fi events have a lot to do with it.
Except that out of Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect...only one of those was a Wi-Fi event.

If you don't really believe that this generation was supposed to last four years, please stop arguing about this.
I'm sorry master. I had no idea that I had to conform to your wise and obviously true opinion. I've always said that the new generation is coming in 2013 and you know that. All I'm saying is, that it's possible that originally wasn't planned to be the case.

Excuse me? The Generation V games prove that the Generation IV games could have been better. There is nothing baseless about that.

But it doesn't prove that GameFreak were holding back features for Gen V, which is what you were suggesting. The main reason GameFreak wanted to stick to the DS was because of the massive popularity the handheld had. From the Iwata Asks on Black/White:
Yes. I had always wanted to make a second generation of games for the Nintendo DS. Because the Nintendo DS has spread around the world to such an amazing degree.
And the reasons why the games are better, was because for this generation, they claim to have completely changed their approach when planning them. Not because they were holding features back:
Masuda: Since this generation would be presented on the same system, I was extremely worried that it would turn out to be basically the same as its predecessor. If we tried to make it the same way as normal, I thought the games would turn out to be similar to Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl.
Iwata: Because you’re so used to making them.
Masuda: Right. So we started by changing our basic approach.

(It's also interesting to see how in the footnotes, Nintendo define the generations in the same way we do. So it's not a fandom thing. Thought it was worth a mention as I often see that argument thrown around. Just an observation as I read the article myself)

If anything, I would prefer sequels to RSE over remakes, just so a new story can be built upon.

Except that out of Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect...only one of those was a Wi-Fi event.
You do remember Victini, right? If it hadn't existed, Keldeo would have presumably been featured in Movie 14 and previously distributed via Wi-Fi.

I'm sorry master. I had no idea that I had to conform to your wise and obviously true opinion. I've always said that the new generation is coming in 2013 and you know that. All I'm saying is, that it's possible that originally wasn't planned to be the case.
You are making a big deal about the distributions even though you don't really believe that Game Freak's plans changed. It seems to me that you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

And the reasons why the games are better, was because for this generation, they claim to have completely changed their approach when planning them. Not because they were holding features back:
The improved graphics and Wi-Fi features have everything to do with holding things back. "We changed our approach" is just a more convenient way of describing the situation. They could have changed their approach during Generation IV if that had been the end of the DS series.

Last edited:

Keldeo wasn't distributed in 2011 because there was no room for it in Movie 14

I'd say the reason it wasn't in M14 is because they wanted to save it for M15, not because there wasn't any room for it. Meloetta seems to have been considered, well, trash that wasn't worth giving a movie (no offense to Meloetta fans).

I'd say the reason it wasn't in M14 is because they wanted to save it for M15, not because there wasn't any room for it.
I'd say it's both. There wouldn't have been room for Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom and the Musketeer quartet even between the two movie versions.

I actually don't see how Meloetta is worse than Victini in terms of carrying a movie.

I think they've had plenty of time...there's a decent amount of 3DS games out now that use it to acceptable levels of its potential, there's no excuse GameFreak should have for not being able to create a great game.

You don't know anything about a game development, eh?

I don't get what you mean.

Why should GameFreak be unable to put out a decent 3DS game when other developers have already done so? They're a decent sized corporation with multiple employees who can clearly juggle different projects at once, considering how we had Platinum, Heart Gold/Soul Silver, and Black and White released back-to-back over the course of just three years, and I don't see how my knowledge of game development should be questioned for expecting they should be able to create a decent 3DS entry at this point in time?

I'd say it's both. There wouldn't have been room for Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom and the Musketeer quartet even between the two movie versions.

Where there is a will, there is a way. If they really wanted too, they could have pulled another M10 and dumped the normal Musketeer trio to make room. Not exactly the best idea, but it could have worked.

You do remember Victini, right? If it hadn't existed, Keldeo would have presumably been featured in Movie 14 and previously distributed via Wi-Fi.
You keep on talking about the Wi-Fi distributions as if every Mythical Pokémon was. Sure, Victini was given out over Wi-Fi, but during the year where 3 Mythical Pokémon were released, only one of them was a Wi-Fi distribution.

The improved graphics and Wi-Fi features have everything to do with holding things back. "We changed our approach" is just a more convenient way of describing the situation. They could have changed their approach during Generation IV if that had been the end of the DS series.
In the same way that me saying "I drove to work" is a more convenient way of saying "I like butter on my toast" right? They're two completely different things.

Also, improved Wi-Fi features? Are you kidding me? It's the same as Black/White. The only difference is a 1 hour punishment for people who disconnect (which hasn't helped matters at all). And graphics? Not really. I actually thought HeartGold/SoulSilver looked better.

You keep on talking about the Wi-Fi distributions as if every Mythical Pokémon was. Sure, Victini was given out over Wi-Fi, but during the year where 3 Mythical Pokémon were released, only one of them was a Wi-Fi distribution.
Pardon? Half of the event legendaries were revealed early due to Wi-Fi distributions. Victini being featured in Movie 14 has to do with the fact that Keldeo wasn't revealed in 2011, and Genesect's Wi-Fi event explains why it was distributed not long after Keldeo and Meloetta.

Things would have been more balanced had Meloetta debuted in 2011, which could have actually worked by simply associating its short with Movie 14. But they preferred to release two movie versions and distribute Zekrom and Reshiram instead.

In the same way that me saying "I drove to work" is a more convenient way of saying "I like butter on my toast" right? They're two completely different things.
Masuda would never admit to deliberately holding back features, so your point is moot.

Also, improved Wi-Fi features? Are you kidding me? It's the same as Black/White. The only difference is a 1 hour punishment for people who disconnect (which hasn't helped matters at all).
I was obviously referring to the features introduced in Black and White - namely the Global Link (not necessarily the Dream World), Wi-Fi tournaments and Random Match. We aren't talking about a brand new approach here; I, for one, had expected to see such features in Generation IV.

And graphics? Not really. I actually thought HeartGold/SoulSilver looked better.
The animated sprites, 3D overworld and camera placement are generally viewed as definite improvements.

Only thing that HGSS did better then BW/B2W2 are the frakin ambient sounds all over the place, and that's it.

Pardon? Half of the event legendaries were revealed early due to Wi-Fi distributions. Victini being featured in Movie 14 has to do with the fact that Keldeo wasn't revealed in 2011, and Genesect's Wi-Fi event explains why it was distributed not long after Keldeo and Meloetta.

Things would have been more balanced had Meloetta debuted in 2011, which could have actually worked by simply associating its short with Movie 14. But they preferred to release two movie versions and distribute Zekrom and Reshiram instead.
But why is the question. Especially when they had seemingly planned to make Reshiram and Zekrom available in White 2 and Black 2 respectively.

Also, Genesect's Wi-Fi event explains why it was distributed soon after Keldeo and Meloetta...how? They could have - and hell, should have, waited for the movie in 2013. If they wanted a Wi-Fi event soon after launch, they could have distributed Keldeo or Meloetta (especially as Keldeo was only a ticket pre-order gift)...at least they were relevant.

Masuda would never admit to deliberately holding back features, so your point is moot.
I swear at some point that he actually did. Like, how they'll have a Battle Frontier in one game but not the next, so they can add it into a third version.

Also, improved Wi-Fi features? Are you kidding me? It's the same as Black/White. The only difference is a 1 hour punishment for people who disconnect (which hasn't helped matters at all).
I was obviously referring to the features introduced in Black and White - namely the Global Link (not necessarily the Dream World), Wi-Fi tournaments and Random Match. We aren't talking about a brand new approach here; I, for one, had expected to see such features in Generation IV.
Yeah, you totally expected to see the Dream World in Generation IV, despite the idea not crossing our minds until Generation V. You could argue that Wi-Fi tournaments and random match-up were inspired by the increase in competitive play that occurred during Generation IV (hell, it was the first generation where the UK had a World Championships qualifier). Besides, random match up was introduced in Battle Revolution, which was Generation IV.

And graphics? Not really. I actually thought HeartGold/SoulSilver looked better.
The animated sprites, 3D overworld and camera placement are generally viewed as definite improvements.
*looks at the title screens of HeartGold and SoulSilver*
Animated Sprites? Yeah, they were pretty cool (although you could say that were just a slight increase on the already existing animations). And camera placement? I wouldn't call it a "definitive" improvement. They were a really small thing, like the added textures in HGSS.

I think they've had plenty of time...there's a decent amount of 3DS games out now that use it to acceptable levels of its potential, there's no excuse GameFreak should have for not being able to create a great game.

You don't know anything about a game development, eh?

I don't get what you mean.

Why should GameFreak be unable to put out a decent 3DS game when other developers have already done so? They're a decent sized corporation with multiple employees who can clearly juggle different projects at once, considering how we had Platinum, Heart Gold/Soul Silver, and Black and White released back-to-back over the course of just three years, and I don't see how my knowledge of game development should be questioned for expecting they should be able to create a decent 3DS entry at this point in time?

Because
- HG/SS main game use the same engine as Platinum, it's not the whole work again. The biggest work was for designers, and Pokéthlon.
- Same between BW and B2W2. (Also, several maps were reused)
- Even between gen IV and V some stuff, as internal file formats, is common. Developing a 3DS game could be a completely new task.
- If the next gen is for 3DS, it's very likely it will include 3D models for Pokémon and/or characters. Way harder than sprites.

If GF was able to release 4 games in a row (counting HGSS as one, BW as one, B2W2 as one), it's because they had some work done. Now we're jumping to another platform. So, no, they haven't had plenty of time. I'm almost sure they're already working on 3DS games, but expecting GF to have them ready right tomorrow, it's unrealistic.

No one's expecting them to, most people are reasonably expecting a late summer, early-fall release, which I think is a decent amount of time. I'm sure they started on Gen VI stuff relatively soon after Gen V was released.

Because
- HG/SS main game use the same engine as Platinum, it's not the whole work again. The biggest work was for designers, and Pokéthlon.

Doesn't that sort of help my point though? BW to BW2 wasn't a lot of work, which means they had plenty of time to get started on Gen VI. They also hired new 3D modelers around BW's release, and we've already seen they've got multiple, perfectly usable models in the PokeDex 3D App.

Kid Icarus, for example, is a great game and was built basically from the ground up more or less with good graphics that make use of the 3DS and a ton of extras including full voice-acting. It came out back in March.

Honestly I say they've been working on Gen VI ever since Gen V came out... that'd be in 2010 and games like B2/W2 don't take much at all... I agree Quattro... but GF promised to expand the Pokemon World... as it;s been said GF doesn't handle side-games. We'll see soon enough

But why is the question.
They wanted to promote the version mascots. More to the point, they wanted to release two movie versions in the hopes of increasing overall ticket sales.

Especially when they had seemingly planned to make Reshiram and Zekrom available in White 2 and Black 2 respectively.
But unlike in previous generations, no single game contains both version mascots, and B2W2 weren't even out then. Yes, one could buy the sequel version corresponding to one's missing dragon, but then one wouldn't have access to the rest of the version-exclusive Pokémon. The movie event solves that problem.

For the record, I didn't like their decision. But in retrospect, there is nothing wrong with how the event Pokémon have been handled seeing as it's the end result that matters. Again, it goes to say a lot about Game Freak's plans for 2013, but it's a huge stretch to infer that they changed their plans.

Also, Genesect's Wi-Fi event explains why it was distributed soon after Keldeo and Meloetta...how? They could have - and hell, should have, waited for the movie in 2013. If they wanted a Wi-Fi event soon after launch, they could have distributed Keldeo or Meloetta (especially as Keldeo was only a ticket pre-order gift)...at least they were relevant.
There is no way that they would have rendered the ongoing movie promotions redundant by releasing Keldeo or Meloetta via Wi-Fi. Plus, they wanted to distribute a previously unreleased Pokémon exclusively to B2W2 so as to encourage people to buy the games.

You need to get over the fact that event Pokémon are no longer exclusively revealed via movies.

I swear at some point that he actually did. Like, how they'll have a Battle Frontier in one game but not the next, so they can add it into a third version.
He said that they hadn't had time to incorporate a Battle Frontier into Diamond and Pearl. He was probably lying.

Yeah, you totally expected to see the Dream World in Generation IV, despite the idea not crossing our minds until Generation V.
Please don't tell me what I did or didn't expect to see; you can only speak for yourself. While I didn't have the specifics in mind, I did think that there should be a way to download special Pokémon on a regular basis. I was disappointed with the Pokéwalker because it didn't serve that purpose. I had expected to see an Egg Ticket service for HGSS where players would receive a special egg per day by connecting to a Nintendo server; it would have been a great expansion of the corresponding Crystal feature.

You could argue that Wi-Fi tournaments and random match-up were inspired by the increase in competitive play that occurred during Generation IV (hell, it was the first generation where the UK had a World Championships qualifier). Besides, random match up was introduced in Battle Revolution, which was Generation IV.
And how does any of that imply that Game Freak couldn't have added such features to the Generation IV games that they developed? Once again, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Animated Sprites? Yeah, they were pretty cool (although you could say that were just a slight increase on the already existing animations).
And you would be wrong to say that; the two-frame Emerald and Generation IV animations were incredibly lackluster. Crystal certainly did it right the first time around, though.

Last edited:

No one's expecting them to, most people are reasonably expecting a late summer, early-fall release, which I think is a decent amount of time. I'm sure they started on Gen VI stuff relatively soon after Gen V was released.

Because

Doesn't that sort of help my point though? BW to BW2 wasn't a lot of work, which means they had plenty of time to get started on Gen VI. They also hired new 3D modelers around BW's release, and we've already seen they've got multiple, perfectly usable models in the PokeDex 3D App.
Not really, because my point is that GF released that amount of games in that amount of time, having that amount of work already done. Without that advantage, it's natural they should (and will) take a bit longer for a new game.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention GF was already working on a 3DS game out of Pokémon franchise: Rhythm Hunter.

Kid Icarus, for example, is a great game and was built basically from the ground up more or less with good graphics that make use of the 3DS and a ton of extras including full voice-acting. It came out back in March.

And how many projects have Sora Ltd. been involved into before Kid Icarus?

A: Zero, because it was a new team.

But why is the question.
They wanted to promote the version mascots. More to the point, they wanted to release two movie versions in the hopes of increasing overall ticket sales.

Especially when they had seemingly planned to make Reshiram and Zekrom available in White 2 and Black 2 respectively.
But unlike in previous generations, no single game contains obtain both version mascots, and B2W2 weren't even out then. Yes, one could buy the sequel version corresponding to one's missing dragon, but then one wouldn't have access to the rest of the version-exclusive Pokémon. The movie event solves that problem.
GameFreak not putting Black's exclusives in White 2 and White's exclusives in Black 2 was a really weird decision. However, I highly doubt that GameFreak intended for Black players to buy White 2 (and vice versa) because I dunno...Black 2 is called Black 2, so it comes after Pokémon Black?

For the record, I didn't like their decision. But in retrospect, there is nothing wrong with how the event Pokémon have been handled seeing as it's the end result that matters. Again, it goes to say a lot about Game Freak's plans for 2013, but it's a huge stretch to infer that they changed their plans.
I highly doubt everything went as planned. 2012 just seemed so disorganised. Not just the three Mythical Pokémon in one year, but B2W2 having a June release instead of the usual September obviously being to get them out internationally in 2012 (being DS games and all). Then there's how America and Europe actually received a Genesect event, but not a Meloetta one (despite B2W2 coming out around the time Meloetta debuted in the anime and that America has already received the Keldeo movie). It's weird - disorganised even.

There is no way that they would have rendered the ongoing movie promotions redundant by releasing Keldeo or Meloetta via Wi-Fi. Plus, they wanted to distribute a previously unreleased Pokémon exclusively to B2W2 so as to encourage people to buy the games.
Genesect wasn't distributed at Black 2/White 2's launch - it was given out 2 months later and it's being distributed again at the beginning of next year. Sure, the Keldeo and Meloetta distributions were still going on when Genesect's started, but the end of Keldeo's cut it pretty close. They could have easily moved Keldeo to Wi-Fi once the ticket promotion had ended. If I remember correctly, the shiny legendary beasts were made available in America via GameStop, but later on Wi-Fi (due to the way English Wi-Fi events are handled).

Yeah, you totally expected to see the Dream World in Generation IV, despite the idea not crossing our minds until Generation V.
Please don't tell me what I did or didn't expect to see; you can only speak for yourself. While I didn't have the specifics in mind, I did think that there should be a way to download special Pokémon on a regular basis. I was disappointed with the Pokéwalker because it didn't serve that purpose.
So your original idea was pretty much Mystery Gift, that has served that purpose since Generation III, just all year round? Shame the Dream World isn't exactly that either.

You could argue that Wi-Fi tournaments and random match-up were inspired by the increase in competitive play that occurred during Generation IV (hell, it was the first generation where the UK had a World Championships qualifier). Besides, random match up was introduced in Battle Revolution, which was Generation IV.
And how does any of that imply that Game Freak couldn't have added such features to the Generation IV games that they developed? Once again, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.
And you're just accusing me of arguing for the sake of arguing instead of raising a logical point, because you're arguing for the sake of arguing. It's simple:
DPt = GameFreak couldn't judge the growth of competitive play (Because obviously DP kicked it off and the first international competitive season was during the year of Platinum's international release).
HGSS = Added "Flat Battle" rules, which was the format of official VGC events the year before. Thus allowing players to use Pokémon and moves beyond lv.50.
BW = Added the Tournament feature for real life events, after seeing the popularity of them in previous years.

It's also worth noting that Junichi Masuda started work on Generation V following Pokémon Platinum's release. So BW would have been his first chance to truly implement a system for the increasing competitive scene.

Animated Sprites? Yeah, they were pretty cool (although you could say that were just a slight increase on the already existing animations).
And you would be wrong to say that. The two-frame Emerald and Generation IV animations were incredibly lackluster. Crystal certainly did it right the first time around, though.
They basically just added more frames in. Slight increase. Not a big "Wow, we must buy this game!" feature anyway.

And how many projects have Sora Ltd. been involved into before Kid Icarus?

So, uh, a new team can produce a great 3DS game from the ground up basically but an already fully-formed team don't have enough time to create a great 3DS game that's got multiple games to build off of?

EDIT: And I forgot to mention GF was already working on a 3DS game out of Pokémon franchise: Rhythm Hunter.

I don't think a Downloadable game uses up a significant amount of resources.

Intelligent Systems churned out two Downloadable games (Pushmo/Crashmo), a new Paper Mario, AND a new Fire Emblem all within roughly the same year and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom