• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Only for 3DS?

Reaction score
I know I have said this many times, but what's your guy's opinion for the 'Only for 3DS' format? Do you personally like it?

I personally think it wasn't that wise of a move for Game Freak and Company because though many people do have 3DS systems, many fans haven't upgraded yet because they have a fairly high price. Also, I think that completely dumping sprites was not a best decision but any people have said that they like the 3d models to the sprites.

I know I have said this many times, but what's your guy's opinion for the 'Only for 3DS' format? Do you personally like it?

I personally think it wasn't that wise of a move for Game Freak and Company because though many people do have 3DS systems, many fans haven't upgraded yet because they have a fairly high price. Also, I think that completely dumping sprites was not a best decision but any people have said that they like the 3d models to the sprites.

Games are going to be released in October. By then, 3DS owners should increase.

Besides, many people will buy 3DS because of Pokémon.

Pokemon is going to facilitate that transition to 3DS very nicely. Nothing sells systems like Pokemon. They aren't losing money on this with the amount of money they're making Nintendo pushing their handheld.

I already have a 3DS so i'm fine with it. I think it's time GF moves from DS and into 3DS. another generation on the DS would be sort of hindering progression imo

The Nintendo DS is an obsolete console in Nintendo's mind now. The 3DS was launched 2 years ago, so it's only natural that the Pokémon franchise would move on.

It's a very wise move for GameFreak and Nintendo when you look at the Japanese sales charts - the 3DS has been the best selling video game console every week since the price cut. Also, today it was announced that the console managed to sell 100 million units in 100 weeks, which only one other console before it has done.

I already have a 3DS and I'm upgrading to an XL for this not just for the fun of saying that I'm playing X on an XL

Why would they have stayed with the DS? it's dead. It was time for Game Freak to move on, they obviously were working on this for a long while now, they will sell a literal ton of 3DSes because of this. I have one already but if I didnt the first thing Id want to do is go buy one, heck I might even buy another for trading.

Yeah, a lot of fans will buy a 3DS specifically for Pokemon X and Y. I bought my 3DS last year (in France too, what a coincidence) because I knew this would eventually happen.

No, it's about time Pokémon moved systems. DS has been out for a while now. It needs to move with the times, if it didn't we'd still be playing on the Game Boy!

Of course it's a wise move, just like moving onto the GBA and then onto the DS. I'm absolutely fine with having to buy a 3DS, since the games look awesome. I really don't understand that logic.

It's a fantastic idea. Pokemon can't stay on the DS forever. It's been stuck there since 2006.

I have a 3DS XL already, so I'm not fussed.

Much as I don't like having to buy a 3DS, it was time for the series to move console. So yes, the move is justified in every possible way.

A Game like this could not have been made for the DS. It would already be a fool's errand to try and keep revolutionizing the gameplay on an obsolete console that has been around for nearly 8 years.

Yeah, also, this gives me more of a reason to totally want that Fire Emblem themed 3DS that Japan got. Two 3DSs = trading and stuff. That FE themed 3DS just needs to get released here along with FE: Awakening! I'd pay a lot of money for that beautiful console!

Last edited:

I do not think there was anyone that didn't expect Gen VI to be for 3DS. The DS has been very well represented, it has had two generations, and nine main series games over it's lifetime. It is time to move on to the new hardware.

I'm holding out hope that they have preserved the use of sprite art in some way. It would be a shame if sprites have been completely abandoned.

I think it was time to move to the 3DS.

The DS is dead, accept it.

This is a bit of a fallacy because we have already seen how this pans out in prior generations - pokemon's appearance on the DS spiked that system's sales when it went DS only. Given that 3DS systems can be had for sub 150 and XL's for 175-180 on sale, the chance to upgrade will only become more and more prevalent as we near X/Y's release.

I don't think this is going to hurt them in any fashion and will likely power the 3DS up and push it forward like it did for the DS.

3DS is next gen. I have no problem with it being only for 3DS, it'd be odd if it wasn't. Plus the DS probably can't handle this game.

As was said in the announcement, the Pokémon series evolves with the consoles. If Gen 6 were released on the DS, it would be severely hindered by the old tech. The new platform brought the potential for revolutionary changes and additions, which any game franchise needs to prevent it from getting stale.

Yeah, a lot of fans will buy a 3DS specifically for Pokemon X and Y.

I'm one of them. :sweatlol:

Though I'll have to get a new console, I still think it's a good move.

A Game like this could not have been made for the DS. It would already be a fool's errand to try and keep revolutionizing the gameplay on an obsolete console that has been around for nearly 8 years.

The DS had been released for more than eight years, actually. It first came out in November 2004 in the Americas.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom