• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Pokémon X & Y Starter Discussion

I saw Chespin first, and I retained my opinion even after seeing the other two amazing starter: that chipmunk thingie is just awesome! Just look at it, it's so badass!...for a chipmunk with green hat/helmet. For some reason I think it might be/evolve into part fighting type.
Fennekin...I can see why it's so popular, but I'm not big friend of these cute foxes/canines (excluding Poochyena). Froakie is just another frog, but not bad either.

Gonna buy 3DS, pick Pokémon X when it comes out and start with Chespin!

Chespin, definitely. It's adorable
Froakie is ok too

Fennekin is just creepy, I mean,seriously, it's head is LARGERT then it's body! And it's all scrawny and weird
I've seen quite a bit of fanart of it already, in which it often looks better (or at least less malnourished)
I hope the evolutions will look better

Re: Starters final forms?

Chespin - I imagine it to become a bulky Grass/Dark type... Sort of like Torterra but on it's hind legs? With some kind of spikes and armor... Maybe a special twig it carries around (I swear I'm not referring to Treecko, I just think the twig thing would be cool lol).

Fennekin - Ahh the beauty that has left some Pokémon fans amazed at how good it's design is. I imagine a sort of longer, sleeker and more dangerous looking version of how Fennekin is now. I also predict Fire/Psychic typing... Not just because they hinted at it, but because it just looks calm and cool like it has Psychic Pokémon traits.

Froakie - I love this frog. I want Fennekin as a starter, but Froakie holds me back lol. I imagine it's Final form to be something along the lines of Infernape's height, maybe a bit bulkier than Infernape, not so slender, and I see it being Water/Fighting, with a very intelligent white beard.

Chespin's evolution will be very long, thin, quick, I think. Maybe some sort of weasel.

For Fennekin, I just hope there isn't some sort of fox-like character in Journey to the West. It was the basis for the last two fire starters.

Froakie's evolution will probably be rather bulky.

What if Froakie's final form is based of of Shuwajin from journey to the west? I mean the last to /fighting type starters where based off of characters form the story, Infernape-Sun Wukong, Emboar-Cho Hakkai(I think that's how it's spelled).

You guys want to see Fennekie's final form
Then here it is-
180px-Kirara_%28transformed%29.jpg
This is the perfect final form of Fennekie !
This is the reason I want Ash to have this Pokemon.

Chespin - Grass/Dark - I imagine it being the large bulky starter this generation. I see its final form as a sort of mammalian Tyranitar.

Fennekin - Fire/Psychic - A very elegant fox, but with some small sinister looking details. Probably along the lines of a more detailed Ninetails.

Froakie - Water/Fighting - I know I predicted Water/Poison in another thread, but with all of the Journey to the West connections popping up, my opinion has been changed a bit. I could see its final form as sleek and slender as Infernape or as big and bulky as Emboar, but I'm thinking it will probably be the latter or somewhere in between.

Last edited:

I'm not sure on Chespin, I think it could be grass/dark like has been suggested but outside of the moveset nothing hasn't really jumped out at me.

Fennekin, I think its secondary typing will be either dark, ghost or psychic. Foxes are typically associated with mind games and trickery so one of those typing could easily represent it.

Froakie is probably the hardest to place since it's design, origin and past trends do lend it to many possiblities. On the one hand, the white spots on its nose do look like either glasses or a mustache that could develop to become wizardlike so psychic could would for it. On the other hand, it's name in other languages show that it's related to thieves and the white "cloud" on its back could be a grab bag so dark or poison are also options. Finally, we have the Sha Wujing theory and based on the slimness of its form, some design cues, what happened to the last two fire starters and what's shown in the trailer there is some reason to believe that they may go that route to complete the triad and have it either be water/fighting, water/dark (as he's a demon and could fit back into the thief motif) or even water/ground (to associate with Sha Wujing's sand abilities). Between the suggested typings, I'd prefer either fighting, psychic or dark since I feel there's a lot they could do with those typings.

Last edited:

I saw Chespin first, and I retained my opinion even after seeing the other two amazing starter: that chipmunk thingie is just awesome! Just look at it, it's so badass!...for a chipmunk with green hat/helmet. For some reason I think it might be/evolve into part fighting type.
Fennekin...I can see why it's so popular, but I'm not big friend of these cute foxes/canines (excluding Poochyena). Froakie is just another frog, but not bad either.

Gonna buy 3DS, pick Pokémon X when it comes out and start with Chespin!

I've said this before, but the first thing that popped into my head when I saw them was fakemon. Their art just looks like fakemon art. Maybe I'll like their evolutions better. I will say that both legendaries are awesome, especially the Y bird.

I can see that froakie is going to be a water/ground type pokemon like all the frog type based pokemon (except toxicroak)
fennekin more like vulpix, pure fire, as for chespin i dont know grass and steel maybe.Seriously why cant they make a water type starter pokemon based on a seal,
I mean we have seen a turtle(squirtle),a croc(totodile),a frog(mudkip),a penguin(piplup) and an otter(oshawot).

I can see that froakie is going to be a water/ground type pokemon like all the frog type based pokemon (except toxicroak)
fennekin more like vulpix, pure fire, as for chespin i dont know grass and steel maybe.Seriously why cant they make a water type starter pokemon based on a seal,
I mean we have seen a turtle(squirtle),a croc(totodile),a frog(mudkip),a penguin(piplup) and an otter(oshawot).

I believe Mudkip was based off a mudskipper or mudfish, hence its species name, not a frog.

I do agree with one of your statements. A seal Starter would be cool, and I love seals. We have the Seel and Spheal families, but they're not Starters. Maybe next Gen they'll do a seal-like Starter, or at least give us a new common seal Pokemon this gen (since we don't know any other new Mons other than the starters and the two Legendary ones).

I want Fennekin to become a Fire/Psychic elegant quadrupedal fox/wolf Pokemon. I'll be so pissed if it becomes bipedal, and even more if it becomes a Fighting type.

I can see Chespin becoming either fast and sleek, or bulky and slow. Hopefully they won't pull off another Samurott, and it'll stay bipedal.

I don't care much about Froakie, but hopefully its final form will look better than Seismitoad...

I want Fennekin to become a Fire/Psychic elegant quadrupedal fox/wolf Pokemon. I'll be so pissed if it becomes bipedal, and even more if it becomes a Fighting type.

I can see Chespin becoming either fast and sleek, or bulky and slow. Hopefully they won't pull off another Samurott, and it'll stay bipedal.

I don't care much about Froakie, but hopefully its final form will look better than Seismitoad...

Agreed on all points. While I won't be too upset over a Fire/Fighting-type (I've gotten used to them by now, but still, a change is needed), a Fire/Psychic-type would be far more justifiable. Plus, with that smart look and elegance, I could so see Fennekin being part Psychic-type. It just makes more sense to me.

Considering how much cooler Palpitoad was compared to its evolved form Seismitoad, I can see your point on that. They sure screwed up there. I'm hoping for a somewhat Infernape/Toxicroak fusion here, nimble yet muscular, but kinda frail. But more bulk wouldn't be the worst thing, either, just not to the same degree as Seismitoad.

Totally going with Froakie, purely because it's a frog. However, based on aesthetics, I would have actually gone with Chespin, just cos it's so darn cute. Fennekin, on the other hand, I couldn't really care less about. It's just like before Black and White came out, and (IIRC) Snivy was the most popular starter after they were revealed, and I was all like "I'mma pick Oshawott." even though I'm pretty sure it was the least popular.

Fingers crossed for Froakie having a badass final stage.

Chespin: A taller and thinner version of Chespin, possibly with more armor-like features
Fennekin: A red Ninetales with only one tail
Froakkie: A bulky frog (Like Feraligatr- Seismitoad)

EDIT:If only the fanarts above were real......

At least we wont have a fire/fighting type starter this gen. I mean come on 3 out of five generations the starters were fire/fighting type.

This was on Reddit, and while there is no word on how official this is, I think it's actually a pretty solid take on what the final evos could be like for the starters.
xLJdu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This was on Reddit, and while there is no word on how official this is, I think it's actually a pretty solid take on what the final evos could be like for the starters.
xLJdu.jpg

Meh, I think GF can do much better than that.

I doubt it's much more then idle fan imaginings, but I didn't find them THAT bad - still, they all do come off as a bit more "simple" given how extravagant GF has been making the final evos in recent games :)

Back
Top Bottom