• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation:Will Gen 6 have a third game or something different?

What will happen after the Gen 6 main pair?

• A third game, like Gens 1-4

Votes: 124 51.9%
  • Sequels like Black 2 and White 2

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • A prequel maybe, we've never seen that

Votes: 28 11.7%
  • Other/something totally original(explain)

Votes: 36 15.1%

• Total voters
That's sorta hard to tell. The names give off a ring that a third version could come out of it (Pokemon Z), but since it may be based off of genetics over the alphabet, it's hard to say. While third versions are nice (Platinum as one of the better ones), Gen V introduced the concept of sequels.

I know what you're all gonna say, GSC introduced that concept, but it was not in the same generation, so that's why I'm saying Gen V introduced it. At least more well defined. I found the sequels to be fun, as you got to see how past game characters and the region itself have changed over the time frame between games. Seeing Bianca go from airhead Trainer to helpful professor assistant within two years gave me a nice, warm feeling, seeing how well her path shaped out over that time. So sequels would be nice.

As for something completely different... I haven't the foggiest. I'm not sure what they could do for a "new" concept. But, knowing GF, they'll come up with something, they always do.

Considering we don't even know much about Pokemon X & Pokemon Y it's difficult to make any remotely educated guess as to what we'll get afterwards. If we received a third version for Black & White instead of sequels, I might have guessed that GameFreak would continue the trend, as stagnant as it was becoming. But with the sequels having come to fruition anything could happen. These two games could even be so complete or filled that a third version is deemed unnecessary; DLC could very easily replace any third version(s).

I reckon it'll be sequels again. They'd be mad not to call them X² and Y² (yeah, that's math, not genetics, but it'd still be pretty clever).

hoenn remakes i hope or much more likely 3rd and 4th sequel games to reallly cashs in the new gen :O £££££ releasing more or less the exact same game with a a few new features wont relly wash with this the same way it did on other consoles. I really think BW2 were just practise dummies for what there gonna have to do in the future which is put more effort in to a new story.

Very hard for me not to see a Pokemon version Z down the line. However, it should not be a traditional third version. I personally think that it should be a continuation from whatever the plot in these games are, and perhaps be entirely plot based while this Gen's badge quest/E4 is introduced and dealt with in the initial titles.

They cannot justify in any way whatsoever the traditional third version with the simple advent of adding future content with DLC. I also want to make clear that we do not need two sequel versions either, even if the paired versions are much different this time around. One of the reasons we got two last time was because they actually intended to release two Pokemon Greys until production was changed. So this time, I want them to focus on just one sequel and the plot around it.

I see a Third Version, they even said sequels to Black & White were just to try something different, and it worked I guess. I defo see a version Z somewhere down the line, it made complete relevant sense too.

Very hard for me not to see a Pokemon version Z down the line. However, it should not be a traditional third version. I personally think that it should be a continuation from whatever the plot in these games are, and perhaps be entirely plot based while this Gen's badge quest/E4 is introduced and dealt with in the initial titles.

They cannot justify in any way whatsoever the traditional third version with the simple advent of adding future content with DLC. I also want to make clear that we do not need two sequel versions either, even if the paired versions are much different this time around. One of the reasons we got two last time was because they actually intended to release two Pokemon Greys until production was changed. So this time, I want them to focus on just one sequel and the plot around it.

but 2 sequel games = moar £££££££ will nintendo turn down moar £££ cause fans dont agree ?

I can see a Pokemon Z or a Z and W, but honestly, trying to guess what will come after a game we have all of two minutes worth on info on seems like jumping the gun a bit.

I can only hope they don't go back to third versions. While Z might seem like an obvious name for a 3rd version, so did "Gray" when BW were first announced and yet we never got a Gray version.

[Insert Pokemon Z joke here]
link.jpg

I honestly can't tell. It's very possible they feel like making a third version again, or sequels, or whatever.

However, regardless of what do they deem the "successor" of these two, there WILL be another paired version. So I'm going to say "paralell games". Not necessarialy tied as "sequels" or "prequels", that aren't remakes, but not necessarialy in the exact same region.

B2W2 were both succesors and the second pair, skipping a game. That formula could repeat, or they could go for a third version AND paired sequels.

Or even push it further and make third versions of both pairs but that'd be really silly.

I'd much rather have a sequel (or even a prequel, I guess) than a third version again.

honestly, trying to guess what will come after a game we have all of two minutes worth on info on seems like jumping the gun a bit.

I do agree with this though.

But wouldn't one sequel cause a conflict between the first two? I mean, they'd have to pick which version the story would continue from, causing one to be canon and the other to be non-canon.

I can see a Pokemon Z or a Z and W, but honestly, trying to guess what will come after a game we have all of two minutes worth on info on seems like jumping the gun a bit.

I agree with this. It does seem a bit early to speculate what we'll get after these since we basically got nothing. Discussing third versions/sequels this early kind of looks like we're more excited about the continuation than of the actual first games, haha.

I'd want sequels more than anything though, doing another third version would feel like stepping backwards. I vote for paired sequels called ZW.

It seems extremely early to speculate on what's to come after X and Y when we don't know much of anything about those games. Pokemon Z sounds like an obvious third version title like Grey did and that didn't turn out as expected. While I wouldn't mind a return to the third version game, I think it's more likely that they'll make another sequel pair or do something drastically different with the third version to where it is more like a continuation rather than the same storyline with a couple of differences here and there. If they do go the sequel route, maybe they'll be able to plan that ahead of time so that they can polish out the storyline a bit more than how B2/W2 turn out, even though they were still enjoyable games despite their flaws.

It seems early but I made this just because thoughts on the generation of a whole are going across my mind and I am looking forward. My thoughts currently is we probably shouldnt just expect a Z version like a Gray version was expected, Gray did not happen. Id like more sequels and I think Game Freak can improve on that concept from Black and White 2, but anything could really happen.

But wouldn't one sequel cause a conflict between the first two? I mean, they'd have to pick which version the story would continue from, causing one to be canon and the other to be non-canon.

Depends. If Pokemon X & Y were handled like B/W for example then I can see why 2 sequels would be needed to continue their altered storyline. I was going under the assumption that the altered storyline won't be repeated, at least not in the same "fashion" as B/W's was.

I also did not like the fact they were considering releasing two Pokemon Greys at first rather than sequels in Gen 5. That makes me think it would just be better to have one sequel address the plot, with it being overall a much different game than the paired versions.

Still too early to tell for certain. Even though I'm expecting a Pokemon Z version I just do not think it should be a regular 3rd sister game. We'll see though, predicting what Game Freak is planning to do is nearly impossible nowadays.

Pokemon Z and it will be a sequel, don't know how that'll work though.

EDIT: I've changed my mind. After playing X, I think it will be a traditional 3rd version. I think it will still be called Z.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom