• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starters final forms?

Water/Dark
Water/Fighting
Water/Psychic

I don't mind any of those. All three could work for a Froakie evolution, whether you want him to be a wise old Sage, a gentlemen boxer, or a dirty French thief like Lupin the Throg.

Also, posting this for my own sake:

Generation 1 Fire (Tail - Tail - Tail)
Generation 2 Fire (Back - Head & Butt - Mane)
Generation 3 Fire (None - None - Wrists)
Generation 4 Fire (Butt - Tail - Tail & Head)
Generation 5 Fire (Nose - Nose - Nose & Beard)

Generation 6...? Maybe Ears?

Maybe ignitable ankles?

Re: Pokémon X & Y Starter Discussion

I swear to god Froakie looks like an old guy.
I mean, seriously!
The white on his nose looks like glasses, and he has long-ish white hair!!!

But, really. I LOVE FROAKIE

Gen VI Shiny Starters - Thoughts?

So we obviously know what the starters look like - but what do you think their shiny forms would be? Gen V shiny starters threw me for a bit of a loop, with Emboar sporting gorgeous blue flames and Samurott surprisingly only being a few shades darker.
What do you think the starter shinies will look like? What would you rather *not* see?

EDIT: Forgot to add my own! I expect Fennekin to have a shiny sprite similar to that of Vulpix: not changing much initially, but turning into a beautiful silver/blue final evo. Of course, my expectation probably won't be met.
Chespin I can see them making in warmer colors, ending in something big, powerful and daunting.
And Froakie...you know what, sorry, I don't care too much for Froakie. But if I had to guess I'd say that it will probably be purple. That is the trend.

Last edited:

They don't look too bad, but I think, comparing those with the future official ones, there'd be much more to improve, mainly on Chespin's.

Fennekin's actually looks quite cool.

I swear to god Froakie looks like an old guy.
I mean, seriously!
The white on his nose looks like glasses, and he has long-ish white hair!!!

But, really. I LOVE FROAKIE

I thought it looked like an old guy, until I saw the Japanese burglar picture.
Now all I see is a little burglar frog when I look at Froakie.

dorobou-090219.jpg

Because of Fennekin being a fire-themed fox, it makes me hope that the final evolution will be based on myths about the fox of fire. In Finland, there is a myth that the aurorae (northern lights) are caused by a magical fox of fire that spreads flames across the skies from it's tail (the Finnish name of the northern lights references this - the name literally translates to fox's fires). It is also said that hunting down a fox of fire will bring one endless fame and fortune, and conversely also that catching the fox is impossible. Here's an example of the fox of fire in art.

I know it's a lot to expect from Game Freak to know every obscure Northern European myth, but hey, a man can dream :p

Also, posting this for my own sake:

Generation 1 Fire (Tail - Tail - Tail)
Generation 2 Fire (Back - Head & Butt - Mane)
Generation 3 Fire (None - None - Wrists)
Generation 4 Fire (Butt - Tail - Tail & Head)
Generation 5 Fire (Nose - Nose - Nose & Beard)

Generation 6...? Maybe Ears?

Maybe ears & paws?

Re: Gen VI Shiny Starters - Thoughts?

I would like to see a dark blue Fennekin with white flames, and Froakie's scheme could be swapped to a yellow/beige color, no idea on Chespin though...

Froakie has an upside down penis on his face

I think I'll pick fennely just because I always go with fire first time through.

I believe Froakie may go the purple route, Chespin a yellow or orange scheme, and i believe Fennekin will get short-changed and be just a few shades darker or lighter

Fennekin - light purple
Froakie - dark green
I don't know about Chespin...yellow maybe?

Because of Fennekin being a fire-themed fox, it makes me hope that the final evolution will be based on myths about the fox of fire. In Finland, there is a myth that the aurorae (northern lights) are caused by a magical fox of fire that spreads flames across the skies from it's tail (the Finnish name of the northern lights references this - the name literally translates to fox's fires). It is also said that hunting down a fox of fire will bring one endless fame and fortune, and conversely also that catching the fox is impossible. Here's an example of the fox of fire in art.

I know it's a lot to expect from Game Freak to know every obscure Northern European myth, but hey, a man can dream :p

That's amazingly gorgeous, I can't believe I never heard of this myth, i'm completely awe-struck by this, I definetly want this for Fennekin's final form. It could be a blend of this and the eastern depictions of wolves, we could see both blue and red fire being used, and that'd be pretty frickin sweet!

That's amazingly gorgeous, I can't believe I never heard of this myth, i'm completely awe-struck by this, I definetly want this for Fennekin's final form. It could be a blend of this and the eastern depictions of wolves, we could see both blue and red fire being used, and that'd be pretty frickin sweet!

I gotta say, I totally agree with you. That legend/myth is awesome, the art is gorgeous, and your idea is stellar. I would soooooooo love to see Fenniken turn out like that. Great, now I have an even harder time thinking up a nickname for it. With all these awesome myths, legends, and whatnot, I'm loaded with ideas, but I cannot even come close to deciding on just ONE idea. Still, that idea you had is terrific, I would thoroughly enjoy seeing that cute little fox evolve into something that majestic and cool.

I can see that froakie is going to be a water/ground type pokemon like all the frog type based pokemon (except toxicroak)
fennekin more like vulpix, pure fire, as for chespin i dont know grass and steel maybe.Seriously why cant they make a water type starter pokemon based on a seal,
I mean we have seen a turtle(squirtle),a croc(totodile),a frog(mudkip),a penguin(piplup) and an otter(oshawot).
You're forgetting the Poli family, which end up as Water/Fighting with Poliwrath. Also, Mudkip is a mudskipper or axolotl.

I think Chespin's hood/back will be colored differently rather than its whole body.

that's pretty cool. makes me think that if Fennekin or any of its forms are part psychic, that the final form may have a more celestial design

Light purple or turquoise/darker blue Froakie.

Fennekin: A totally different color, maybe red or orange or even blue, I loved seeing Emboar's blue flames in it's shiny form

Chespin: No real idea

What I dont want to see: Any more shinies that are only slightly different than normal counterparts, it's lazy looking IMO, they should actually make them a different color.

I unfortunately have a feeling one of them will get the short end of the stick and acquire one of these ugly green colors that they seem to love to give to Pokemon so often.

I have nothing against green, but man, there are so many shiny Pokemon out there who look seasick or get a very unnatural bright green color and I just feel so sorry for them..

Froakie - Pinkish or Purplish.
Chespin - The green parts would be cyan colored.
Fennekin - Pinkish.

Back
Top Bottom