• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Pokémon X & Y Starter Discussion

I've always been a fan of the fire starters. I started with Charmander way back in Pokemon Blue, and ever since I've always picked them! So Fennekin is going to be my choice this time around. I mean, a fire Fennec fox. What's not to love about that? Look how huggable she is.

Froakie is pretty cute too. He'd definitely be my second choice as a starter. I just wanna hug him to bits.

Chespin looks pretty cool too. The colors brown and green always look wonderful together, so I really like his coloration. It's refreshing to see a mammalian grass starter for once. And those teeth are adorable!

I was discussing the new starters the other day with a friend (who also doesn't have a 3DS yet, but is looking into getting one now since the games were announced), and she prefers Froakie the most of the three. If she ends up choosing it, I might go with Fennekin, depending on its evolutions, of course. I always seem to be most drawn to the Fire starters, anyways. I've only ever chosen the Grass starters in Gens I and II, but that was a long time ago. Who knows? I like Chespin as well, so if I like its evolutions more than Fennekin's, I might choose it instead.

They made it so difficult to choose which one I want this gen. And I love that.

Fennekin is beautiful and it's became one of my favorite starters of all! I do like Chespin & Froakie too though, these are the best starters since the Sinnoh trio.

Fennekin is beautiful and it's became one of my favorite starters of all! I do like Chespin & Froakie too though, these are the best starters since the Sinnoh trio.

Definitely. Sinnoh trio was gorgeous and it still is the best one.
That may change if Game Freak create good evolutions for the Generation VI trio with gorgeous type combos like the Sinnoh trio had.

I really like all three starters, but I think that I like Fennekin the most. It's such a cute fox-based Fire type and I like the idea of it evolving into a Fire/Psychic type, although I'll be happy with anything that isn't a Fire/Fighting type. Chespin is a close second since it looks so adorable. I didn't like Froakie as much at first, but all the fanart has made it grow on me and maybe it will work more for me when they reveal the evolutions. Although, at the moment, I'm leading towards using Fennekin for X, Chespin for Y and then save Froakie for whatever comes after those games.

I already ADORE Fennekin, but then I'm always partial to fire starters.
I swear to god, he better not end up being a fire/fighting though.

I'm not going to choose until I know what they evolve into. If Chespin is really grass/dark... I may actually use it. I love dark types. But if not, Fennekin will probably be my chose, unless Froakie is so awesome when he evolves that I have to choose him. And if Fennekin turns out kinda... well, crappy, then I'm going to have to use one of the others.

I'm so judgmental.

I'm going to choose either Chespin or Fennekin. Final decision will depend entirely on the evolutions and possibly the movepools. I hope they turn out to be Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting.

Re: Starters final forms?

I'm predicting Fennekin will just be a pure Fire type. That will go the leagues of Arcanine, Ninetales, Rapidash, Darmitan, Typhlosion, etc.
Chespin might be another Grass/Ground. It looks like it's based on some critter that burrows.
Froakie might be a Water/Fighting. Might be based from Jiraiya; a ninja who shapeshifts in to a giant toad.

Fennekin is so cute and cool. It's just pretty awesome in general. And because of that there gonna be a lot of creepy fanart of it.

I'm telling you guys right now. Fennekin is gonna stand up on those hind legs of its and it's gonna start throwing punches.

Re: Just how long till will we see the evolutions >.<

I'm not Japanese, so in the past I've always had a good grasp of what the entire generation of Pokemon would look like by the time it was released where I live. With this simultaneous release, nobody may see what we're getting until launch day, or shortly before it when images from various strategy guides and whatnot are leaked. I imagine that Corocoro will release more info than anything American, European or Australian, but as far as 'reveals' go, it's usually just the starters and legendaries, isn't it?

Fennekin is definitely my favorite and Froakie takes the close second place.

Chespin ... eh, I don't really like it. We'll see if their evos change my opinion.

Pretty sure we didn't even get the DP starter evolutions. It wasn't until the games were out we saw them. BW I don't even remember if they were prerelease, but I'm pretty sure they were by like within the month. If we are going to get them before the games come out, it'll likely be quite a while. The first things to get revealed tend to be first stage pokemon and a handfull of randos à la Wargle and Desukarn and what have you. Since this gen's likely going to have some new evolutions and preevolutions of existing pokemon, they're probably going to muck up the issues rather than all new lines. Chances are we'll have at least until this summer to see them.

Eh, first of all, we don't even know for sure if there will be new eeveelutions this Gen. In case we're actually getting new eeveelutions though, we'll get them in July at the latest, when M16 airs.
I read eeveelutions instead of evolutions lol.

Well, last time the evolutions were leaked sometime in August, iirc, which was pretty close to the release date. But they can always pull a Blaziken on us and show one of the final evolutions in the anime.

Last edited:

I hope they wait as long as possible to reveal them. I would like to know, but I would also like to be surprised when I get the game.

Honestly, with the way things are going, they are picking and choosing what to reveal. With this being such a new strategy for the release, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't find out what the evolutions are until much, much closer to the release date.

Considering they've revealed a lot of information worldwide so quickly, there's a possibility they could reveal the evolutions over the coming month.

I'd personally prefer to see more Gen VI Pokemon. We've only seen 5 so far.

If I remember right, it was pretty close when the games were released in Japan when Gen V's starters evos were shown for the first time. I hope that they wait a while, we just saw the starters not even a week ago and it's 9+ months until the release, there's plenty of time.

At the earliest, I would say March 2013. At the latest, I would say August 2013.

I think we should at least find out the region's name soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom