• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legendary Pokemon Discussion

So what would you think a possible inspiration for Pokémon Z might be?

Well, assuming it's the snake or dragon (I'm not sure which is which) that gnaws on the roots Yggdrasil... Well, it could be oblivion. A state on non-existance. Even if something dies it's physical presence and people's memories of it still remain. Oblivion would make it as though it never existed at all.

Well, it's possible, but let's be honest in that the other legendaries have always been opposites. Land and Sea. Time and Space. Truth and Ideals. Life and Death don't really sound like they're all that different, thus they don't really need to have a majorly different story.

If somehow Xerneas and Yveltal wind up representing life and death maybe if there is a Z it could possibly somehow represent rebirth or reincarnation.

Ho-oh already has that title claimed.

It's not unheard of for legends to share themes. Moltres & Ho-Oh are both phoenixes, the fire/ice/lightning theme has been incorporated into several legends (to subtler and not-so-subtle extents), and Mew & Mewtwo are already heavily associated with genetics (as these new legends are).I don't think it would be pushing the boat out exactly if Pokémon Z represented rebirth. Also, Kyurem already represents Wuji, the absence of yin & yang, which is essentially the same thing as you suggest Pokémon Z might represent, particularly w/Kyu's Ice-typing.

Remember that snakes are (or can be) just as much rebirth symbols as Phoenix's are. I don't think theres anything wrong with revisiting that theme, as long as its done differently than before.

Thats only if there really is a life-death-rebirth theme in the 6th Gen games. I wish that the Coro Coro could have revealed what kind of Pokemon they are, like how Zekrom is the Black Yin Pokemon and Reshiram is the White Yang Pokemon for example. It would have revealed a lot about what they are planning to focus on, but perhaps thats why they didn't reveal that info lol

I'm really loving the artwork for these two legendaries, though it's making it really hard to pick my favorite between them. XD

As for typings, I could see Yveltal being Dark/flying or poison/flying with Xerneas being either grass/steel or psychic steel.

I fucking love Yveltal, such an amazing and epic design.

But I gotta hand it to Gamefreak, they outdid themselves with these mascots. Simply brilliant!

Well, it's possible, but let's be honest in that the other legendaries have always been opposites. Land and Sea. Time and Space. Truth and Ideals. Life and Death don't really sound like they're all that different, thus they don't really need to have a majorly different story.

Yes, previous legendaries are opposites (Time and Space aren't exactly opposites though), but Life and Death don't seem to be easily alternating each other like previous legendaries did: let's expand Land/See, let's distort Time/Space, let's seek for Truth/Ideals. So what could be done with Life and Death? It looks more complicated than with previous legendaries. Gen V provided sequels, so Gen VI could provide alternate stories for Life theme and Death theme.

If somehow Xerneas and Yveltal wind up representing life and death maybe if there is a Z it could possibly somehow represent rebirth or reincarnation.

I don't see how life and death aren't "all that different", unless I'm misunderstanding your statement. Life and Death is as different as all the others, maybe even more. Living and not living. Life and Death are far more complex than the Land and Sea, for example, so I think they could make some interesting plots out of these.

I'm still holding on to a possible Norse theme in these two, so if a third Z-Pokemon would be based off of Nidhögg I think a "trapped-from-the-world"/oblivion theme is better suited than a rebirth or resurrection theme, since Nidhögg is not associated with/does not represent any of those. Nidhögg is actually a dragon (dragons back in the day were often depicted with serpentine bodies), associated more with evil and doom, so I think a snake-theme wouldn't be the best fit here (if they would go with a Nidhögg-theme).

Of course, they can mix all kinds of mythological serpents/dragons from Europe, so a rebirth theme isn't entirely impossible if they do decide to make a Z part.

Am I the only one who hopes for new types? :D I agree they look like something made of water/steel (X) and fire/flying/dark (Y), but it's been a while since we had new types (well, only once really).

If not, then how about Water/Steel (X) and Dark/Psychic (Y) ? Sounds like a good combo.

Thing with water is that Kyogre and Palkia are water types, and Gen 5 is the only thing stopping us from going 3 gens in a row with it. Like the fire starter I hope they do something else. Last 3 trios all had a relevant type or type motif, this goes for the Weather Trio, so if anything I do believe both would have a psychic typing, with steel and dark as you said. If not, I would agree with a new type coming into play, with steel and dark combos making them special as in being the Pokemon with the 3 new types. Sure the other 2 aren't new new, but they were discovered at a later point like whatever new type would come into play.

I think introducing a new type would be the Pokemon equivalent of real-life "This changes everything! we know about [insert whatever it is here]" in new scientific findings.

I'd love it. :D

Life and death are two polar opposites; you're either alive or you are dead. There's no in-between (as far as anyone here is concerned). You could also compare not just life and death (the act of being alive vs. the act of not being alive), but also birth and death, or the "beginning" and the "end." But that being said it's a controversial topic and as such should be handled delicately. Something involving life and death, however, could be relevant, as the theme seems to revolve around DNA.

After seeing the official artwork for Yveltal, I'm just gonna say this now:

249Lugia.png

Lugia is Psychic/Flying.

CoroCoro_February_2013_Yveltal.png

Yveltal will be Dark/Flying.

I really hope that Yveltal is at least part dark type. Maybe even Dark/Dragon? (Though it does seem obvious that Flying will be at least one of its types.)

Xerneas....I have absolutely no idea. Psychic/???? (We have so many Psychic type legendaries though????)

I think Yveltal will be a Dark/Flying type, the moment the Pokémon was onscreen I immediately thought of Mandibuzz. Xerneas's typing, on the other hand, is a mystery to me. For now, I think it's probably going to be Dark/Psychic.

For Xerneas I'm liking Psychic. I feel like it should have a secondary type, though...perhaps Steel? She does have what look like swords for legs. That's pretty badass.

My point that I made was that life and death are opposing concepts. And what else would anyone with villainous goals do but seek to control them? It's sorta like Voldemort in a way.

After seeing the official artwork for Yveltal, I'm just gonna say this now:

249Lugia.png

Lugia is Psychic/Flying.

CoroCoro_February_2013_Yveltal.png

Yveltal will be Dark/Flying.

Its like they took Darkrai's genes and spliced them with Lugia's. Its a nice parallel anyways, especially should it turn out to be Dark/Flying typed.

On the species, I wonder if it will be the "Evil bird Pokemon" considering how it's name is pronounced.

For Xerneas I'm liking Psychic. I feel like it should have a secondary type, though...perhaps Steel? She does have what look like swords for legs. That's pretty badass.
She?

I am guessing Grass/Steel or Steel/Psychic for Xerneas.

I thought they could introduce a new type for Xerneas. Light type? Considering they could be life-death.

On the species, I wonder if it will be the "Evil bird Pokemon" considering how it's name is pronounced.

And maybe Xerneas could be something like the "Pure Pokemon". Yveltal could be the corrupted evil one while Xerneas is the pure good one.

Back
Top Bottom