• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon you didn't expect to like

LanguageSponge

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to do at least one last round of Gen 5 before the arrival of Gen 6. But I want to do it differently this time. I always seem to go through the games with the same sorts of Pokémon because I don't want to waste my time training ones I may end up liking only to find that actually, I really don't. I always seem to find this with the birds especially, in pretty much any game. I think I might try Braviary this time, see if I can break the bird curse...

So, I am sure many of you have tried out Pokémon for the heck of it expecting not to like them, only to find that they become a permanent part of your team and you wonder later on how you ever went without them. Tell us about them - who are they and what made you like them so much?

Thanks for the inspiration :)

LanguageSponge

I didnt expect to like Scrafty at first. I wasnt really a fan of it's design but then started reading about how good it was in game, so in White, I added a traded one to my team. I was impressed and found it the strongest Pokemon on my team, it beat most of the E4's Pokemon itself and sweeped many gym leaders. I was pretty impressed. Its now my favorite Fighting type and I'd use it again.

I used to be leery of Archeops at first because of its ability, but when I got one in Black (who has an Adamant nature), I couldn't resist using him because he hit so hard and fast and he became the star of my team in that game. (I do love bird Pokemon, though.)

The majority of the Unova Pokemon. They grew on me after I returned to Pokemon. The Generation VI Pokemon were scaring me (that Game Freak ran out of ideas) but, looking deep enough, I came to like them. (More creative than Diglett, Voltorb, Grimer, and Magnemite) Now I don't hate any Pokemon, I just dislike some more than others. And now I'm reassured Pokemon won't run out of ideas until Generation IX.
EDIT: Most Pokemon I disliked grew on me when I entered competitive battling.

Last edited:
To be honest, I didn't see myself liking Volcarona at first. After playing around with one, I ended up breeding one, and it battles very well. It is at the moment my favorite Bug type.

Freaking Swanna. You don't know how underrated it is in main game until you use it on your team...

Magnezone. I trained up a Magnemite when I played through White 2, and it was incredible. It's one of my best team members now because of its defenses.

If you're just talking about Gen V, I'd say Sigilyph. I thought it was weird and wasn't expecting to like it at all, but I tried it recently and it's fun to battle with.

Thanks for your suggestions. If anyone else is still reading this then please keep the suggestions coming as my eyes still need to be opened somewhat :) I have always wanted to raise a decent Bug type - and by that I don't mean one of the crappy weak ones - so I am going to go with Berrenta's suggestion of Volcarona. I am also considering trying a Golett, which I have somehow overlooked for nearly two years and have no idea why.

Cheers,

LanguageSponge

Emboar, definitely. I disliked the design at first and was annoyed that it was yet another Fire/Fighting starter, but it grew on me and I decided to use it on a play-through of Black and it was an absolute beast and I think it's pretty cool now. I guess Lillipup/Herdier/Stoutland also counts, since I didn't really think much of them until I used them and saw how good they really were.

I still hate the elemental monkeys as much as I always did though.

Don't laugh - Slowpoke. When I was a kid playing Blue back in the day (and sneaking time on it when my parents wanted me to do my homework), I thought it was the dumbest pokemon. Ever. I wanted all the "cool" ones - Blastoise, Charmander, Gengar - that the other kids at school had on their carts.

Fast forward to now.

So I'm playing Pokemon, and I catch - what else - a shiny Slowpoke! I take a look at the move list, and it's actually really good, especially since now it can evolve into Slowking. Granted, it's not the first pokemon that comes to mind when you think of "Team Rocket," but he's good enough for my team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't really expecting to like the Lillipup family when I added one to my team earlier on in White. It wasn't that I ever disliked them so much I just didn't think it would stick around and be eventually replaced anyway, but Stoutland was solid in a lot of encounters so I couldn't let him go. Now he's one of my favourites from Gen V.

Quagsire was a meh pokemon but seriously if the oponent doesnt gave a grass move quaggy is going to seriously lay the smack down on them. That guys been a champion of mine since gold on the gbc. A friend even recently was converted to its win power after quaggy ran rampage through his team.

Galvantula - but only because I discovered Joltik was so cute.

Hmm...I'd say Beheeyem. I was just meh at the alien at first. But after seeing Colress using one on his team, I decided to try it out - and it's pretty useful in PWT. Especially Analytic XDD

I'd also say Froslass. I recently acquired an Abomasnow and tried out a Hail team - and Froslass totally rocked. I didn't expect Snow Cloak to be THAT useful. Really unexpected XDD

Garbodor: Mainly because one of my friends used it and we'd always harass her about it but after I watched Roxie use it against Ash I had to put it in my party.

When I first got into the series by playing emerald, I thought my mudkip wouldn't be that useful because I wasn't doing to hot at first. But then he evolved into swampert and now he's my go to Pokemon whenever I play in these competitions. And do you have any idea how many wins I raked in with this guy? You can bet I'm gonna transfer him to my X version once I beat the main storyline.

Audino. <3 They can't hit too hard, but decent defenses, good HP, Secret Power, Attract, and having Regenerator as an ability can make them deadly if you have the patience.

I never expected to like Sawk; I hated the design and wasn't fond of pure Fighting types. Then I needed a Fighter for Lenora's gym and was left with Timburr or Sawk. So I tried for Sawk.

After losing a lot of Great Balls trying to catch this guy, I capture him, drag him to the gym and watch him level the place. I'm duly impressed and decide to keep him on my team. I now adore Sawk. I think the big blue brawler is epic beyond belief.
I am also considering trying a Golett, which I have somehow overlooked for nearly two years and have no idea why.
O_O

Dude, seriously--go for the Golett. I love mine like you wouldn't believe. /shameless plug

Oh, come on! What were you expecting me to say?! You're looking at the crazy Golett lady over here! :rolleyes:

I never expected to like Sawk; I hated the design and wasn't fond of pure Fighting types. Then I needed a Fighter for Lenora's gym and was left with Timburr or Sawk. So I tried for Sawk.

After losing a lot of Great Balls trying to catch this guy, I capture him, drag him to the gym and watch him level the place. I'm duly impressed and decide to keep him on my team. I now adore Sawk. I think the big blue brawler is epic beyond belief.
I am also considering trying a Golett, which I have somehow overlooked for nearly two years and have no idea why.
O_O

Dude, seriously--go for the Golett. I love mine like you wouldn't believe. /shameless plug

Oh, come on! What were you expecting me to say?! You're looking at the crazy Golett lady over here! :rolleyes:

*smiles*

I knew there was at least one person on here who liked Golett a lot. Once I get through this week of work I'll begin raising one properly. I am debating already whether I will want to evolve it or not when the time comes as the one I had lying around in my boxes (one I caught just to see what it was like) has been tearing through most things I run into.

GateRage said:
Emboar, definitely. I disliked the design at first and was annoyed that it was yet another Fire/Fighting starter, but it grew on me and I decided to use it on a play-through of Black and it was an absolute beast and I think it's pretty cool now. I guess Lillipup/Herdier/Stoutland also counts, since I didn't really think much of them until I used them and saw how good they really were.

I still hate the elemental monkeys as much as I always did though.

I've been considering looking at the Lillipup line for a bit, I might try that. And seriously, is there anyone who didn't find the elemental monkeys a *huge* disappointment?

SteamKnight said:
Don't laugh - Slowpoke.

I'm not laughing, far from it, I think you might be a genius :) I'll try Slowpoke out. I couldn't get past the stupid-lookingness of Slowpoke before, but Slowking is probably not something to be messed with...

Thanks!
LanguageSponge

Durant, I used it in Black not sure what to expect but when it has Hustle, Hone Claws and Physical Attacking moves it is flawless! I've really grown to like Durant and its definitely an under rated Pokemon IMO.

I'm not laughing, far from it, I think you might be a genius :) I'll try Slowpoke out. I couldn't get past the stupid-lookingness of Slowpoke before, but Slowking is probably not something to be messed with...

It's true. He's become really helpful, especially since I can use Power Gem, Zen Headbutt, and Water Pulse with him. And he's shiny to boot!

Smogon University entry for Slowking (B/W version, but there are archived strategies for its other versions):

Slowking (B/W) - Smogon University

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom