• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you miss most about the older games?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. Refer To Profile
Everyone probably remembers the good times they had playing the older games, what are some things you miss most about them? For me it's the simplicity, there were no EVs, IVs, Physical/Special split, etc, it was very basic, I kinda miss that.

I also miss when shinies first came about and they were super rare, you were lucky to run into them and it was exciting. No there's RNG, cloning, hacking etc and it can be hard to tell if legit or not unless you caught it yourself, I miss that feeling of finding something special and super rare.

Everything said above. Good ol' times. Wait a sec, maybe ive got my old gbc somewhere, pokemon crystal. The only game I ever had on it lol.

~CP~

EVs did exist in gen I, albeit in a different form.

To me, it'd be the sense of mystery everything had (as a I lacked consistent internet connection and the awareness that everything possible in regards to information existed there in when I first started). Especially the Ruins of Alph. Totally mysterious and creepy back then; still cool but much less so now. Other than that, I wouldn't really say anything.

To me, it has to be the sense of not knowing what I was doing half the time. That, and not knowing some Pokémon evolve with stones(I'm looking at you Vulpix).

Nothing.

Other than maybe the crappy sprites and the simplicity - no EVs, no happiness, no natures, no abilities.

I really liked the unexpected surprises you'd get from the games. The Pokémon fandom on the Internet was growing back then, so everyone was in the dark about the hidden gems within. Imagine my surprise when I got a Tyrogue from a Blackbelt while exploring Mt. Mortar or finding the Sealed Chamber at Route 134 for the first time!

The simple graphics, and the good design. The creepy and the cute Pokemon. Not having to EV train Pokemon. A bad thing about the old games however, is that special/physical was based on Type (good for Gyarados though, I think).

I missed beating the kanto elite 4, 4 times with only one pokemon all if different games.PIKACHU, VENUSAUAR, CHARIZARD and BLASTOISE and how hard lance was with his DUMB DRAGONS in CySTAL.

To me, it has to be the sense of not knowing what I was doing half the time. That, and not knowing some Pokémon evolve with stones(I'm looking at you Vulpix).
What happened did you train one to lvl 100 or something?

I missed beating the kanto elite 4, 4 times with only one pokemon all if different games.PIKACHU, VENUSAUAR, CHARIZARD and BLASTOISE and how hard lance was with his DUMB DRAGONS in CySTAL.

What happened did you train one to lvl 100 or something?

Close. Level 91. She knew Flamethrower, Quick Attack, Confuse Ray, and something else. That was the highest leveled Pokémon I ever had until SoulSilver. There was also a Level 81 Staryu too that knew Surf, Waterfall, Blizzard, and Psychic.

Nothing, everything is great...but what I do miss would've been universal for any game I'd played when i was little, and that's the sense of wonder and adventure I got from exploring with my team at my side. I remember getting my very first Pokémon, exploring all the cities, seeing my first Legendary. It was all new and wonderful for me, and no matter where I had explored first, from Johto to Unova, it can't be replicated exactly now that I'm older.

Well, I did love how GSC games had two regions, both Kanto and Johto, and I wish they'd make another game that incorporated that, where after an adventure in one region, you got to go onto another one.

I miss not having to worry about natures. I don't play competitively, so I know I don't have to worry about natures, but I still do. I guess I just can't stand the idea of my Pokémon being less than they could be. Since the beginning of Gen IV I've been unable to just pick a starter then just catch Pokémon as I go. If I do use the starter, I soft reset until I get a good nature; and I use other games to breed the Pokémon wit the right natures I want for my team then trade them over while they're in their eggs so I don't need to worry about them not listening.

It's entirely my fault, but it's slowly ruining playing the games for me. I miss not feeling compelled to have the perfect natures.

I think the only thing I miss is the nostalgia feeling I don't get playing the newer games.

I miss being able to find things on my own. I'm replaying HGSS, where NPCs practically hand me all the HMs, lol. It's just too easy. In the past, I would visit every house and explore more. Nowadays, the only buildings I really visit are the Pokemon Center and the Gym. Ask me about any cave in the DS games and I am clueless. I'm visiting side areas less and less. I'm not sure if I'm just a cynical adult now, or the extra areas lost their appeal.

I RNG abuse and all and I still freaking lose my mind when I see a random shiny. That will not change.

I miss how popular it was. Back then Pokemon would bring strangers together. Even if you had nothing in common with the other kids, you'd usually at least both like Pokemon. You would bring your gameboy and link cable everywhere because wherever you went there was bound to be a bunch of people who also played.

You can get a similar experience with cons, but it's just not the same as the Pokemania in the late 90's.

I miss being able to find things on my own. I'm replaying HGSS, where NPCs practically hand me all the HMs, lol. It's just too easy. In the past, I would visit every house and explore more. Nowadays, the only buildings I really visit are the Pokemon Center and the Gym. Ask me about any cave in the DS games and I am clueless. I'm visiting side areas less and less. I'm not sure if I'm just a cynical adult now, or the extra areas lost their appeal.

I RNG abuse and all and I still freaking lose my mind when I see a random shiny. That will not change.

Wow! Can you please tell me how I can RNG abuse too? I am having trouble understanding it and I want to learn how to RNG abuse.

I miss everything said above and I miss all the excitement and cool myths circulating about the pokemon games that made the pokemon experience even more fascinating. I also miss just getting together with a lot of friends just to play pokemon as it was in Generation 1 and 2.

I miss ONE thing. One thing that should have never been taken out and left implemented for every subsequent generation. Or at least optional if there was some crazy freak who didn't like it;

WALKING POKEMON

I want the ability of having your pokemon walk with your trainer return! I loved that feature. It was in Yellow, and returned for SoulSilver & HeartGold, and I desperately want it back! You think I want to take all the effort of getting a shiny Charmander only for it to appear in battles! No! I want it to roam the world with me. I feel a stronger bond with it, I feel more immersed in the world. So, get this feature back in!

Sigh i miss the underground from shinnon and the old battle centers from platnuim and the pokealthon or whatever it was called

I actually miss the graphics from RBYGSC. Whilst I don't dislike the current graphics or anything, there's a certain something about the simplicity of GB(C) sprites and textures. I also miss Gen III's music. Where's my trumpet and timpani in DPPt/BW?! Finally, I miss the days where the pool of Pokemon was small enough and people not being stupid/greedy and you could get fair trades. Take one look at the GTS and you'll find ludicrous offers. Why is someone offering a Staryu and wanting a Darkrai? Why is it even allowed to ask for a Lv9 or under Mewtwo?! -_- From Gen III or earlier, you only had your friends to ask or random people at events and they were often a lot fairer with what they were asking (version exclusives for each other, legendaries for other, equal legends etc.)

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom