• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M16: ExtremeSpeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: M16 "Extreme Speed Genesect Mewtwo's Revival"

I hate to admit it, but Yuyama says that the Mewtwo is not the original one from Movie 1. I'm surprised they didn't make it shiny.

I'm also iffy on their logic:

"We are having Charizard come back and have a big role!"
"We are having Mewtwo star in the movie at the expense of promoting a new Pokémon!"
"We are not having the original Mewtwo come back. Sorry."

Last edited:

I hate to admit it, but Yuyama says that the Mewtwo is not the original one from Movie 1. I'm surprised they didn't make it shiny.

I'm also iffy on their logic:

"We are having Charizard come back and have a big role!"
"We are having Mewtwo star in the movie at the expense of promoting a new Pokémon!"
"We are not having the original Mewtwo come back. Sorry."

Not to debunk your translation, but there's another translation of it from someone on a different forum.

"It says it's not the same Mewtwo after venturing out into the world following the first movie. It's been changed by what it saw"

I'd like the second translation to be right.

I would, too. I can't be sure about the nuances (I thought that Yuyama was saying that the two Mewtwo had different philosophies), but luckily, I think I jumped the gun.

From what I understand, the awakened Mewtwo is concerned with the world rather than just its place in it. Its common ground with Genesect (being created by man) will be addressed in the movie. Also, Colress led the Genesect Project.

Last edited:

From what I understand, the awakened Mewtwo is concerned with the world rather than just its place in it. Its common ground with Genesect (being created by man) will be addressed in the movie. Also, Colress led the Genesect Project.

Thanks for this.. Is there anything else of note in Yuyama's comments, or, could someone please link me to a translation?

My yet uneaten hat: ... *sweatdrop*

Yay, its likely the same Mewtwo, I knew they wouldn't give it up. Also what's project G, a franchise wide promo for Genesect? Or just Colress' name for his pet project.

I knew it wasn't the same Mewtwo. We should have saw this coming after they used a virtual reality Mewtwo in the Mastermind special, and after there was a different Mew in Movie 8 from the one in Movie 1.

Mewtwo hasn't had an appearance since 2001 so kids of today have no clue who he is. Bringing in a new younger Mewtwo for younger fans makes sense.

The wording is ambiguous; the Japanese fans appear to be confused, as well. However, I see no reason why Yuyama wouldn't outright say that it is a different Mewtwo, as opposed to comparing it to the old one and implying that it has changed.

I knew it wasn't the same Mewtwo. We should have saw this coming after they used a virtual reality Mewtwo in the Mastermind special, and after there was a different Mew in Movie 8 from the one in Movie 1.

Mewtwo hasn't had an appearance since 2001 so kids of today have no clue who he is. Bringing in a new younger Mewtwo for younger fans makes sense.

...but it is the same Mewtwo, just that this implies it has become more of a friendly Pokemon or something similar, I'd guess. Regardless, they have to present quite some backstory in the movie itself so that the younger fans know of its past. Looking forward to this now.

Why are people questioning the knowledge of the Japanese target audience in regards to Mewtwo? Don't they air the movies more regularly over there? I'm pretty sure a lot of those little kids know who Mewtwo is. A lot of little kids here do, and they haven't been as exposed to it.

And why people are also taking into account the Mirage Special is beyond me. Wasn't that forced by PUSA? Considering who forced it and how bad it was... I wouldn't take it into high consideration.

I have little hopes for this series, and haven't enjoyed one of it's movies since AG. But the potential of this story has far more magnitude if it's the Mewtwo our world was introduced to over a decade ago. Now with a clearer and more defined view of his role in the world, that character should be the one to face the Genesects.

Why are people questioning the knowledge of the Japanese target audience in regards to Mewtwo? Don't they air the movies more regularly over there? I'm pretty sure a lot of those little kids know who Mewtwo is. A lot of little kids here do, and they haven't been as exposed to it.
Fairly regularly. In fact, Movie 1 is going to be broadcast this Sunday. Even Mewtwo Returns was broadcast on Smash in September 2011.

Does it seriously say something like that...?

I wouldn't be surprised. They know bringing back Mewtwo is going to get far more attention than another Pokemon like Lucario or Zoroark. With the starter and legendary blowout from the beginning, a possible new Pokemon starring in the movie lost a lot of its "wow" value... Hence why they're not bothering with anything beyond Sylveon for the short.

Does it seriously say something like that...?
No, that was just my take on their thought process. My point is that not bringing back the original Mewtwo would somehow defeat the purpose of the decision to have Mewtwo be the star again.

Regardless of where this movie is set in (and the basis being Central Park doesn't necessarily mean anything about the location), it has occurred to me that the city Mewtwo ended up going to in the end of Mewtwo Returns could very well be the one where Dr. Fuji and his daughter Amber had lived (Mewtwo saw that city when he communicated with Ambertwo telepathically).

Imagine what would happen if Mewtwo gave Ambertwo a second chance at life. It would be consistent with the awakening theme.

Last edited:

Regardless of where this movie is set in (and the basis being Central Park doesn't necessarily mean anything about the location), it has occurred to me that the city Mewtwo ended up going to in the end of Mewtwo Returns could very well be the one where Dr. Fuji and his daughter Amber had lived (Mewtwo saw that city when he communicated with Ambertwo telepathically).

Imagine what would happen if Mewtwo gave Ambertwo a second chance at life. It would be consistent with the awakening theme.

mewtwo able to transfer/upload Ambertwo mind to a pokemon body?

mewtwo able to transfer/upload Ambertwo mind to a pokemon body?
That would be a little strange. I was thinking that it could just complete her regeneration process.

As stupid as the idea of an Abmersect would be, I would totally love for that to happen. It's too crazy not to watch.

In case anyone is wondering, the movie-related merchandise listings don't contain placeholders (with Sylveon and Mewtwo having been revealed) unlike what happened last year, so more surprises are unlikely.

In case anyone is wondering, the movie-related merchandise listings don't contain placeholders (with Sylveon and Mewtwo having been revealed) unlike what happened last year, so more surprises are unlikely.

How boring.

Sylveon is forgettable and Mewtwo is a relic. I want some interesting surprises from this movie damn it.

Anyway, I wouldn't put too much stock into the lack of placeholders. IIRC Meloetta was never foreshadowed by them at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom