• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Pokémon Ninfia revealed in CoroCoro: New Eeveelution unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Japanese isn't written using Latin letters; Ninfia was romanized phonetically. If this was a trademarked romanization you may have had a point, but this is the straight Hepburn. If you wanted to write "Nymph" in Japanese, it would be romanized as "Ninfu".

Oh. Well, I never did know anything about Japanese.

FAIRY TYPE
That's pretty much half of the Normal type.

Look at Clefairy, Blissey, Delcatty, Audino, etc. This pokémon has more than a passing resemblance to those.

Also worth mentioning it's all about ribbons. The "type items" of the Normal type have all been Pink Bow and Silk Scarf and things like that.

I see what you mean. Also "Ninfia or Nympheon is the first of two Eevee evolutions to be introduced in Pokemon X and Y. Much like Umbreon in Gen II was one of the first known Dark type pokemon, Nympheon of Gen VI is one of the first Light type pokemon. Much like the Dark, Psychic, Fighting and the Grass, Water, Fire trinities, Light pokemon complete a trinity with Dragon and Steel types. As when Magnemite and Magneton retroactively had Steel added to their types, most of the Fairy egg group will have Light added as a secondary type, such as Chansey, Audino, and Clefairy." I'm not saying this is true, but I read it on thedailyhotness.net , seems plausible.

I see what you mean. Also "Ninfia or Nympheon is the first of two Eevee evolutions to be introduced in Pokemon X and Y. Much like Umbreon in Gen II was one of the first known Dark type pokemon, Nympheon of Gen VI is one of the first Light type pokemon. Much like the Dark, Psychic, Fighting and the Grass, Water, Fire trinities, Light pokemon complete a trinity with Dragon and Steel types. As when Magnemite and Magneton retroactively had Steel added to their types, most of the Fairy egg group will have Light added as a secondary type, such as Chansey, Audino, and Clefairy." I'm not saying this is true, but I read it on thedailyhotness.net , seems plausible.

I agree with this guy. It's the "light"est evolution of eevee, it's pink, it's cute. Look at the shining points around his and eevee's head.

If it's not a Light type, it's a Normal one.

"It's cute to the point of ridiculous," was the first thing that popped into my head. Second thing: "Um, why do the colors remind me of Milotic?" Just looking at it, the design reminds me a lot of Skyla and the eyes are freaking light blue, almost sky blue...

My gut says Flying but who really knows?

My gut says Flying but who really knows?
Anyone who took the time to figure it out. I'm not positive but if Sylveon is the confirmed English name than it is 100% flying. Still likely now though. But Sylv- comes from Sylph. Some known to rest on clouds, I believe this will be used to avoid the awkward task of turning a mammal into a bird, while making Eevee fly.

Which is cool by me, cannot wait to see more... 8 and counting...

the eyes are freaking light blue
It's not the first Eeveelution with such drastically different eyes, though.
170px-197Umbreon.png

Sylv- comes from Sylph.
No. Why does everyone keep saying this? I get the bias for a flying type making people think of that and of Skyla, but that's hardly fact.

If anything Sylv- has a higher chance of coming from Sylva. This isn't fact either, but it's closer to both the name and to other name concepts. So it's reasonable to say it's more likely.

Also, the name didn't matter for the rest because they outright were telling you which types they were by the time you read them. But with an obscure name helps in making the type less expected or of a different concept than usual for a typing, while still giving you a further idea of how is the pokémon like. (I.E. it's fairy-like. To me, this means it's an special normal type, which IS unexpected when you see that every single normal Eeveelution fanart has been a physical normal with the concept of "normal animal". But it doesn't mean it HAS to be a normal type. Could be anything for all we know, even typeless.)

Sylv- comes from Sylph.
No. Why does everyone keep saying this? I get the bias for a flying type making people think of that and of Skyla, but that's hardly fact.
Who the fuck is Skyla? Actually, nevermind, I do not care.

If anything Sylv- has a higher chance of coming from Sylva. This isn't fact either, but it's closer to both the name and to other name concepts. So it's reasonable to say it's more likely.
I originally considered to come from Sylvan(Of the woods). But because grass eeveelution is already taken and that there aren't any new types(at least via copies of leaked code). In looking for more clues I discovered its Japanese name leaves no room for distinction, being Ninfia or Nymph. Now, rest aside the idiot who will explain the differences between a Sylph and a Nymph, they are at least similar creatures in appearance and physical stature. Known for their ability of flight, based off of either wings, or atop clouds which are magically connected to them in some form.

I'm not positive but if Sylveon is the confirmed English name than it is 100% flying. Still likely now though.
It is 100% confirmed. Here it is on Pokemon.com. Besides, we're not going to post something on BN unless we're sure it is confirmed.

You don't get to ask and then say you don't want an answer. If you didn't want an answer you shouldn't have posted. On Bulbapedia: [bp]Skyla[/bp].

But because grass eeveelution is already taken and that there aren't any new types(at least via copies of leaked code).
I have no idea what this "leaked code" you're talking about is, but there is no way the code has been leaked this early, and anyone telling you it has is either deceived or trolling.

In looking for more clues I discovered its Japanese name leaves no room for distinction, being Ninfia or Nymph. Now, rest aside the idiot who will explain the differences between a Sylph and a Nymph, they are at least similar creatures in appearance and physical stature. Known for their ability of flight, based off of either wings, or atop clouds which are magically connected to them in some form.
I don't think it is idiotic to point out the differences between them, as it is rather important when trying to determine the origin. The basic difference is that nymphs are spirits of nature, whereas sylphs are air elementals.

Last edited:
You don't get to ask and then say you don't want an answer. If you didn't want an answer you shouldn't have posted. On Bulbapedia: [bp]Skyla[/bp].
Actually, and I expect some kind of totalitarian nazi ban for this, I DO get to do just that and I'm not clicking the answer because I DO NOT CARE. And this was far from the point of my post, but I was illustrating that I thought it was the flying and shyguy here^ NEVER factored into it.

But because grass eeveelution is already taken and that there aren't any new types(at least via copies of leaked code).
I have no idea what this "leaked code" you're talking about is, but there is no way the code has been leaked this early, and anyone telling you it has is either deceived or trolling.
No offense, but I trust that my source has more access to unreleased game code than a moderator of some pokemon forums. Now, if I was asking about the game itself I'm sure you'd be fully helpful and useful. But all this does is make you look like a spoiled kid. Small portions of the code are often leaked through intercepted back and forth developer interaction, but explaining the deep web to you would give me a headache. One piece of that references types(using the same var as older generation) and there are 17. Now you can go on discussing my trollness, because luckily for you, you won't have to see my smug face when the game drops with no new types. So you can be everyones hero who shoo'd away the bad man.

In looking for more clues I discovered its Japanese name leaves no room for distinction, being Ninfia or Nymph. Now, rest aside the idiot who will explain the differences between a Sylph and a Nymph, they are at least similar creatures in appearance and physical stature. Known for their ability of flight, based off of either wings, or atop clouds which are magically connected to them in some form.
I don't think it is idiotic to point out the differences between them, as it is rather important when trying to determine the origin. The basic difference is that nymphs are spirits of nature, whereas sylphs are air elementals.
But I already eliminated Sylvan for the same reason. Grass is taken. And I didn't say it was idiotic. I directly said that an idiot would come in and explain the difference. Even though their differences does not change the facts that

1. Leafeon
2. No other nature-ish tyoe
3. Sylph = elements of the air.
4. XYZ Dragon Cannon
5. I'm sorry, I'm done now.

Actually, and I expect some kind of totalitarian nazi ban for this, I DO get to do just that and I'm not clicking the answer because I DO NOT CARE. And this was far from the point of my post, but I was illustrating that I thought it was the flying and shyguy here^ NEVER factored into it.
Let me rephrase that then: You don't get to ask and then expect to not get an answer. If you're going to ignore the answer then fine, but if you ask it means that you do care about the answer at least at some level.

No offense, but I trust that my source has more access to unreleased game code than a moderator of some pokemon forums. Now, if I was asking about the game itself I'm sure you'd be fully helpful and useful. But all this does is make you look like a spoiled kid. Small portions of the code are often leaked through intercepted back and forth developer interaction, but explaining the deep web to you would give me a headache. One piece of that references types(using the same var as older generation) and there are 17. Now you can go on discussing my trollness, because luckily for you, you won't have to see my smug face when the game drops with no new types. So you can be everyones hero who shoo'd away the bad man.
Just so you know, putting "no offense" at the start of you comment doesn't make it any less offensive. And while I'm sure there are plenty of valid insults you could lodge against me for my post, I don't see how anything I said makes me sound "spoiled".

I never said that there would be any new types, but that we don't know that to be the case. I also don't see why you assume I don't understand the deep web; it does not mean you can just get anything you want. If you're willing to provide this "intercepted code", or even a method of finding it, that's fine, but you can't just claim that you have some secret source who is intercepting developer interactions and expect people to take your word for it.

But I already eliminated Sylvan for the same reason. Grass is taken. And I didn't say it was idiotic. I directly said that an idiot would come in and explain the difference. Even though their differences does not change the facts that

1. Leafeon
2. No other nature-ish tyoe
3. Sylph = elements of the air.
Saying that only an idiot would perform the task means that performing the task is idiotic. My point also was not that nymphs are spirits of nature therefore Grass (because Leafeon means that's obviously not the case), but that they represent different aspects of nature (water, land, underworld, etc.). Nymph does not really indicate Flying, and I think it is entirely likely that it is based on a nymph and the dubbers decided to avoid using "nymph" due to sexual connotations, but chose "sylph" due to being somewhat similar.

There is no strong evidence that it is Flying type; it doesn't yet have any visible method of Flying, it isn't hovering in battle, its colors resemble Normal far more strongly than Flying (and Game Freak really love to color-code), and they are being incredibly secretive about its type so it is likely something unusual. But again, I'm not saying that it isn't Flying (Sky Forme Shaymin does look similar, and at this point I think it is probably most likely if there is no new type), just that there is not enough evidence to say things like "Anyone who took the time to figure it out [knows it is Flying-type]".

Last edited:
My point also was not that nymphs are spirits of nature therefore Grass (because Leafeon means that's obviously not the case), but that they represent different aspects of nature (water, land, underworld, etc.).
This. It isn't that nymphs don't have elemental connotations, it's that they don't really have a single connotation that would trump all of the others. Eeveelutions have always strongly reflected their type in appearance and naming. If we had been shown Leafeon or Glaceon or even Espeon prior to release with no type information given, we'd be pretty much unified in correctly predicting the types. Sylveon is interesting because it doesn't strongly exemplify an existing type, in the way that previous members of the the family have. You can certainly argue that it could be Flying or Normal or Bug or Dragon based on valid observations, but the fact that we are even having this debate suggests that something is different this time.

There is no strong evidence that it is Flying type; it doesn't yet have any visible method of Flying, it isn't hovering in battle, its colors resemble Normal far more strongly than Flying (and Game Freak really love to color-code), and they are being incredibly secretive about its type so it is likely something unusual. But again, I'm not saying that it isn't Flying (Sky Forme Shaymin does look similar, and at this point I think it is probably most likely if there is no new type), just that there is not enough evidence to say things like "Anyone who took the time to figure it out [knows it is Flying-type]".
Personally I think that, limiting ourselves to the existing types, the evidence would point to Normal, because fairy-like Pokemon have traditionally been Normal type. But yeah, this much suspense and mystery about something that turns out to be Normal type? That would be a really odd move on Nintendo's part.

I say it's a new type: Fairy

Maybe that's why they make keeping it a secret a big deal.

Sometimes GF likes to mess with our minds. Golurk and HM02 anyone?

That said, it is very difficult to tell what type Sylveon may be. It certainly doesn't look like a Ghost--but then again, neither did Golett or Golurk--, probably isn't a Dragon and may or may not be Flying. Heck, for all I know those aren't bows on the little bugger but small stylized butterflies and it's actually a Bug type. I have absolutely no clue over here.

Personally I think that, limiting ourselves to the existing types, the evidence would point to Normal, because fairy-like Pokemon have traditionally been Normal type. But yeah, this much suspense and mystery about something that turns out to be Normal type? That would be a really odd move on Nintendo's part.
Exactly. All this hype and it's just a prettied up Normal type? That wouldn't make a lot of sense to me.

Sylphs don't have visible wings either, at least none that are mentioned in their myths. Their myths do mention that they ride on the drafts of winds, which Sylveon could also very well do. It's also the lightest Eeveeution to date, and weight would certainly be a factor in that.

Just saying though. I don't really care what type it ends up, as long as it doesn't end up being the speculated Light type or any other new type yet to be revealed. We have enough types as it is that are all balanced, we don't need another new typing. Granted I said the exact same thing that we don't need another Eeveeution and still got one in the end, but those are still my thoughts.

Also, better example: Doduo being Flying type and using Fly despite having no wings.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the literal translation of Fly's japanese name is like "jump into the sky".

My pet idea: Since X and Y are based off of the chromosome idea, what if Sylveon plays off of that and has two different appearances based off sex, and this is the female ("X") one? Sylveon so far looks pretty stereotypically feminine, what with the bows/scarves and pinkness. The other version, the male one, would be the "Y" version, with a more blue coloring and perhaps a tie or top hat or something instead of bows. (Before someone points it out, yes, I know that both males and females have an X chromosome, but since females have two and males only have one, X would be more connected to the feminine version) Just an idea. Still, that doesn't say much about type. Perhaps a Light type, since it's the "lightest" type? Reaching, I know.

Sometimes GF likes to mess with our minds. Golurk and HM02 anyone?
It turns into a rocket to fly. It's not really something Sylveon can be expected to do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the literal translation of Fly's japanese name is like "jump into the sky".

Fly's Japanese name, そらをとぶ, outright means "fly in the air", but the verb can be translated as both "fly" or "jump" (but in this context it is always "fly").

[video=youtube;ttlPgh6Oirg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttlPgh6Oirg[/video]

Last edited:
It turns into a rocket to fly. It's not really something Sylveon can be expected to do.
Okay, I don't expect it, but now I want Sylveon to be Flying, too. Thanks.

Also while I still think it's Normal... What if its type being marked as "???" ends up being a play in that it literally IS that type? What if it is typeless?

Sure enough, typelessness wasn't really in the games and the only instance of it was retconned out to something that made more sense... But given the whole "doesn't have a particular elemental affinity" thing, and with some people saying that it might not be any of the existing types mostly because of how hyped the typing is and expecting something unusual... I'd say it's something to consider.

Also while I still think it's Normal... What if its type being marked as "???" ends up being a play in that it literally IS that type? What if it is typeless?

Sure enough, typelessness wasn't really in the games and the only instance of it was retconned out to something that made more sense... But given the whole "doesn't have a particular elemental affinity" thing, and with some people saying that it might not be any of the existing types mostly because of how hyped the typing is and expecting something unusual... I'd say it's something to consider.

I suggested this on Twitter a while ago partly as a joke; I think it would be an ultimate troll from Game Freak. However, typelessness has really always been the Normal type. I'd love it if it was, but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom