• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: The In-Game Team Review Thread

@ninfiaVI;

You know if you beat the champion with only Gengar you would get both the ghost and poison medals, right?
And you know that getting medals doesn't rank up your trainer card?

Aha, I'm just doing these challenge medals to pass the time until April, when my friend in Germany contacts me about trading my shiny Haxorus to her and using it as a top prize in a mix tier tournament she's hosting.

Based on your notes I'll probably skip Froslass and go for the Cofagrigus. I already have one (not the nature you suggested, but I can always breed) and it'll save me the time of asking someone for a Duskull, and then asking someone to help me trade it when it evolves.

Originally Posted by FallenIdol_453:
Aha, I'm just doing these challenge medals to pass the time until April, when my friend in Germany contacts me about trading my shiny Haxorus to her and using it as a top prize in a mix tier tournament she's hosting.

Based on your notes I'll probably skip Froslass and go for the Cofagrigus. I already have one (not the nature you suggested, but I can always breed) and it'll save me the time of asking someone for a Duskull, and then asking someone to help me trade it when it evolves.

I type... all that... and your response... is so short...
C'mon, that was so in-depth! I feel so under-appreciated!
And A Shiny Haxorus is obatainable in-game at the Nature Preserve!

Which of my Drifblim movesets is best? What about my weird Chandelure advice? Do you want Fly for Golurk? Do you think Jellicent's Ice Beam or Scald is more useful?

Last edited:

Replaying Pokemon black. Here's my In-Game team. Training for Opelucid Gym. Planning on making some changes to movesets, like Earthquake for Krookodile and Golurk, Ice Beam for Samurott, and Thunder for Galvantula. Maybe Solarbeam for Simisear.

Samurott-Naive-LV 47-Torrent.
Slash
Aerial Ace
Surf
Razor Shell

Galvantula-Lonely-LV 45-Compoundeyes
Slash
Electroweb
Signal Beam
Charge Beam

Scrafty-Lax-LV 46-Shed Skin
Hi Jump Kick
Crunch
Facade
Brick Break

Krookodile-Mild-LV 45-Intimidate
Dig
Bulldoze
Foul Play
Crunch

Golurk-Hasty-LV 45-Iron fist
Fly
Mega Punch
Magnitude
Shadow Punch

Simisear-Timid-LV 46-Gluttony
Crunch
Acrobatics
Dig
Flame Burst

WHERE'S THE COMPETITIVE TEAM RATING THREAD? I can't find anything other than threads dealing with one person's team. Keasbey and I seem to be the only ones who take in-game teams seriously, getting great natures and EVs.
But now I'm on topic.

Originally Posted by kenshin akagi:
Samurott-Naive-LV 47-Torrent.
Slash
Aerial Ace
Surf
Razor Shell

Galvantula-Lonely-LV 45-Compoundeyes
Slash
Electroweb
Signal Beam
Charge Beam

Scrafty-Lax-LV 46-Shed Skin
Hi Jump Kick
Crunch
Facade
Brick Break

Krookodile-Mild-LV 45-Intimidate
Dig
Bulldoze
Foul Play
Crunch

Golurk-Hasty-LV 45-Iron fist
Fly
Mega Punch
Magnitude
Shadow Punch

Simisear-Timid-LV 46-Gluttony
Crunch
Acrobatics
Dig
Flame Burst

Okay, you should have no trouble with Drayden.
DRAYDEN'S TEAM:

Fraxure Lv.41 with Rivalry
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Rage
-Assurance
-Dragon Tail

Druddigon Lv.41 with Rough Skin
-Revenge
-Dragon Tail
-Night Slash
-Chip Away

Haxorus Lv.43 with Mold Breaker
-Dragon Tail
-Dragon Dance
-Assurance
-Slash

The levels are a lot lower than yours, and the moves(only Dragon, Dark, Fighting, and Normal) are not diverse. He also will use two hyper potions.

Now to review your team:

Samurott
Good nature for this Gym. You should outrun them and their attacks are all physical. Surf isn't the best for this set, but you probably have it for convenience. If you need more advantage in this Gym(I don't think you will) try an Ice-type move like Ice Beam.When you beat the elite four and N and Ghetsis, I recommend you use thsi set for the subway:
-Waterfall/Aqua Tail
-Megahorn
-Dig
-Swords Dance

Galvantula
Forget Slash and Electroweb. They are weak. Compoundeyes boosts the accuracy of moves, so the move Thunder, the TM you can get at Iccirus City's Pokemart, will have a very good accuracy, which is well worth learning.
Subway Set:
-Thunder
-Signal Beam
-Energy Ball
-Sucker Punch/Hidden Power

Scrafty
Maybe you should forget Facade, especially since you have Shed Skin. (A 1/3 chance of getting rid of the power boost).
Subway Set: with Leftovers
-Drain Punch
-Bulk Up
-Crunch
-Zen Headbutt/Amnesia

Krookodile
Forget Bulldoze and Foul Play. Be as diverse as you can.
My Advice:
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Outrage
-Stone Edge

Golurk
-Shadow Punch
-Earthquake
-Hammer Arm
-Fly

Simisear:
-Sunny Day
-Fire Blast
-Solarbeam
-Focus Blast

This is just my advice, so if you think of something better, I'd be happy to get some feedback.

I already replace Electroweb and Slash with Thunder and Sucker Punch for Galvantula, Got Earthquake for Golurk, Gave Simisear Solarbeam instead of Dig (Still looking for Sunny day). And how can I get Samurott Ice Beam without TM?

Kenshin you can buy sunny day IIRC at I THINK the battle subway/PWT or route 9 near Opelucid

this is off the top of my head

After some much appreciated advice from this thread, I've changed things around in my Black 2 team and I'm pretty happy with it now. I've just defeated Marlon. So far, I haven't missed Unfezant. I really only had him on my team to deal with Marshal; but I'm sure Ambipom's Aerial Ace and Flygon's Fly will handle him just fine.

AmbipomNature: Adamant
Ability: Technician, Item: Lucky Egg (he's still catching up to the rest of my team)
Moves: Return, Fake Out, Aerial Ace, Low Sweep

FlygonNature: Adamant
Ability: Levitate, Item: Dragon Fang / Yache Berry
Moves: Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Stone Edge, Fly

CrustleNature: Adamant
Ability: Shell Armor, Item: Wide Lens
Moves: X-Scissor, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Shell Smash

GalvantulaNature: Modest
Ability: Compoundeyes, Item: Brightpowder
Moves: Bug Buzz, Thunder, Energy Ball, Thunder Wave

FerrothornNature: Brave
Ability: Iron Barbs, Item: Rocky Helmet / Big Root (I still switch these around)
Moves: Power Whip, Gyro Ball, Leech Seed, Ingrain

JellicentNature: Modest
Ability: Cursed Body, Item: Quick Claw
Moves: Surf, Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, Recover

Thanks for your input, guys!

Last edited:

This will be a team for a Platinum let's play I will make, I just want to see what you people think. This is planned, and I haven't actually started the LP yet.
Empoleon [Surf, Ice Beam, Flash Cannon, Drill Peck]
Ambipom [Double Hit, Strength, Fire Punch, Seed Bomb]
Togekiss [Return, Air Slash, Fly, Aura Sphere]
Glaceon [Ice Beam, Hail, Blizzard, Shadow Ball]
Electivire [ThunderPunch, Fire Punch, Earthquake, Rock Climb]
Still need a sixth Pokemon, any suggestions?

This will be a team for a Platinum let's play I will make, I just want to see what you people think. This is planned, and I haven't actually started the LP yet.
Empoleon [Surf, Ice Beam, Flash Cannon, Drill Peck]
Ambipom [Double Hit, Strength, Fire Punch, Seed Bomb]
Togekiss [Return, Air Slash, Fly, Aura Sphere]
Glaceon [Ice Beam, Hail, Blizzard, Shadow Ball]
Electivire [ThunderPunch, Fire Punch, Earthquake, Rock Climb]
Still need a sixth Pokemon, any suggestions?

How about Houndoom or Gengar?

I have a Yamask that I haven't evolved yet because I think it's more defensively superior to Cofagrigus with an Eviolite, but I'm not exactly sure. Should I evolve it or not?

I have a Yamask that I haven't evolved yet because I think it's more defensively superior to Cofagrigus with an Eviolite, but I'm not exactly sure. Should I evolve it or not?

Evolve it. Cofagrigus can take hits better, especially since it has higher HP (you can use Leftovers too on that now empty item slot), and actually do damage to your foes.

Long story short: half of this team is Pokemon I've never used in Platinum, and the other half are practically staples to any of my Sinnoh teams. I originally had a team of just Sinnoh Pokemon I've never used before, but then I lost the original list and only remembered half the team.

Anyway, the team in question. I'm up to Eterna City:

1.) Monferno (Lvl. 21)

- Male
- Adamant (Good endurance)
- Blaze
- Mach Punch, Leer, Flame Wheel, Taunt (Current)
- Close Combat, Flare Blitz, Shadow Claw, Flamethrower (Eventual)
- Will be holding a Razor Claw

2.) Drifloon (Lvl. 21)

- Male
- Modest (Somewhat vain)
- Aftermath
- Payback, Astonish, Gust, Focus Energy (Current)
- Shadow Ball, Stockpile, Baton Pass, Fly (Eventual)

3.) Kricketune (Lvl. 21)

- Female
- Serious (Proud of its power)
- Swarm
- Bug Bite, Bide, Growl, Sing (Current)
- X-Scissor, Night Slash, Perish Song, Swords Dance (Eventual, though debatable)

4.) Shinx (Lvl. 4)

- Female
- Adamant (Loves to eat)
- Intimidate
- Tackle (Current)
- Thunder Fang, Crunch, Strength, Spark (Eventual)

Planned Team Members:

1.) Gallade

- Male
- ? nature (? characteristic)
- ? Ability
- Close Combat, Psycho Cut, Leaf Blade, Night Slash (Eventual)

2.) Mamoswine

- ? Gender
- ? nature (? characteristic)
- ? Ability
- Earthquake, Ice Fang, Stone Edge, Return (Eventual, though debatable)

Last edited:

Evolve it. Cofagrigus can take hits better, especially since it has higher HP (you can use Leftovers too on that now empty item slot), and actually do damage to your foes.
He is rite. Evolve that thing! Cofagrigus can take some hits.

I am playing my white2. I have never played a GenV game before except for the hacked white2 rom & my current black2.
I've always wanted to try an all GenV Pokemons for my party.

For my starter, I will choose Tepig since it's the only starter I haven't try.
My other 5 would be Swoobat, Seismitoad, Archeops, Gothitelle & Accelgor.

I am not using Chandelure, Braviary, Volcarona, Zoroark & pseudo-legendaries for this one.
For flying is Vullaby good? Or Swanna?
Note that I haven't used like 90% of the GenV Pokemons except for the ones that I said I wouldn't used.
For movesets, I don't really follow smogon's cos I don't do competitive except for PWT lol.

I am playing my white2. I have never played a GenV game before except for the hacked white2 rom & my current black2.
I've always wanted to try an all GenV Pokemons for my party.

For my starter, I will choose Tepig since it's the only starter I haven't try.
My other 5 would be Swoobat, Seismitoad, Archeops, Gothitelle & Accelgor.

I am not using Chandelure, Braviary, Volcarona, Zoroark & pseudo-legendaries for this one.
For flying is Vullaby good? Or Swanna?
Note that I haven't used like 90% of the GenV Pokemons except for the ones that I said I wouldn't used.
For movesets, I don't really follow smogon's cos I don't do competitive except for PWT lol.

Unless you plan on trading, you can't get Seismitoad or Archeops until after you beat the game. Also, the only way to get a Vullaby in White 2 is to trade with Black or Black 2.

Back
Top Bottom