• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW116 "Burn up, Lizardon! VS Kairyu!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't mind me interjecting, Kairyu is pretty strong for a dragon type plus the majority of Lizardon's moves won't be effective since it pretty much knows two fire type attacks and possibly a flying type one.
The writers do whatever they want, doesn't matter.

If Charizard loses to Iris the backlash would be unbearable. Just think of when Pikachu lost to Excadrill....only 10 times worse.

If Charizard loses to Iris the backlash would be unbearable. Just think of when Pikachu lost to Excadrill....only 10 times worse.

That's only because with Iris and the fanbase... it's a love/hate relationship there. that's the only reason why there would be backlash.

Its Charizard getting its first return in like 6 years since 2006....having it return to a loss against a newcomer would be the ultimate troll from the writers.

There's no sense to let Charizard lose if he is supposed to fight Reshiram afterwards. Even a draw may be hard to believe.

Knotz goes to work for PUSA everyday voicing Jessie or various Pokemon. Rachael Lilis doesn't work for them and would have to be contacted.

Opps, I didn't realize that... lol

But still, Lillis has been contacted at least once by PUSA, and that was to voice Maylene during Diamond and Pearl. So while Lillis doesn't seem to work for PUSA all that often, this could be one of those rare chances that she could get contacted again by them in order to voice a few voice clips for Misty in this episode. But I dunno, I might just be having some wishful thinking at this point. XD

Considering ASH is going to be voiced in the flashbacks by Sarah, and possibly Brock by Bill Rogers, it doesn't make sense to hear, "4kids Misty" with "PUSA Ash and Brock."

I thought it was extremely weird when I heard 4Kids Gary alongside PUSA Ash and Brock. They could've recast Gary to a new actor, but I guess they decided to stick with his old one for some reason.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that not every character has to stick with a new actor. For the rare chance that it could happen. So I guess hearing 4Kids Misty alongside PUSA Ash and Brock is not completely out of the question.

Do you actually realize how much is going on this episode? The whole episode is about a Kanto fair leading up to a battle between Charizard and Iris' Dragonite. Why would the writers waste half the episodes screentime on flashbacks? We can already see they're only showing brief snippets of random Charizard episodes, most scenes that Misty/Brock aren't even present for, like, "Snow way Out."

The flashbacks aren't about Ash's friends or his adventures in Kanto, they're only about Charizard and whoever happens to be in that scene is just there...we know we're seeing some Kanto Gym leaders in them and Damien too.

Yes, I know that there is a lot to cram into this episode, and I am really excited to watch it! (I rarely log into my account here on Bulbagarden fourms, as I mostly like to lurk around, but this has been the most excited I've been for an episode in a long time, so I decided to join in with the discussion!) I was just curious why you thought that Misty and Brock would only have 30 seconds of screen time in the flashbacks when they could maybe have more or probably have less.

I really can't stress how excited I am for this episode. March 7th can't come soon enough!

Woah...woah...woah...back up for a sec. People WANT to hear 4Kids Misty with PUSA Ash and Brock? I personally don't. BLEH! That's also way too unfair to both Veronica Taylor and Eric Stuart as well. Besides, both casts have a certain chemistry with each other that will break apart if mixed together, IMO.

I'm 100% sure it's Michele Knotz who will voice Misty in BW116.

I say either re-use all of the original voice actors' work for the scene, or re-dub it all with the current crew. A mix of different voices will only feel wrong and sickening to me on either side of the fence.

Besides, Gary's VA is the current VA for James and Meowth, and he retained the role because of that. As for the others, Giovanni and Contesta are such minor roles that it hardly makes a difference who plays them in terms of their appearances.

If Misty gets her voice back, why shouldn't Jessie then? Sure Misty hasn't been around since late AG, but she's no different from Ash and Brock or the others to me. Additionally, Veronica Taylor plays off Rachael Lillis playing off Eric Stuart in a way that Rachael Lillis definitely can't duplicate with Bill Rogers and Sarah Natochenny, IMHO.

Why is everyone under the impression that Michele Knotz is guaranteed to voice Misty? Knotz only voiced her once, and that was in The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon. It was such a one-off thing, so I have no idea why The Pokémon Company would rather let someone who voiced her only once over six years ago do the dubbing instead of letting Rachael Lillis, someone who is a lot more attatched to the character, reprise her role as Misty. If Giovanni and Gary can keep their 4Kids actors, then I don't see why Misty can't keep her actor, too.

Considering the amount of trouble they would have to go through to contact Rachel Lilis to do what...maybe 3-4 lines at the most....would it be worth the effort in their perspective?

Misty probably won't be on-screen in the flashback for more than 30 seconds. They're only showing a brief clip of Charmander in the rain and then moving on to other stuff like the Koga and Blaine Gym matches and so forth.

And the difference is Gary and Giovanni had full episodes and major roles when they appeared. Misty's character is not truly appearing in an episode, she's getting a brief scene in a Charmander flashback that will probably be extremely brief.

I think getting Knotz to voice Misty again would actually be harder than getting Lillis to voice Misty. Both actors haven't voiced the character in years, but Lillis still seems like the more reasonable choice to me. Even if they can't get in contact with her, they can still resample her voice clips from way back, assuming that they will just reuse some of the dialogue for this episode.

Also, you seem pretty set on this whole 30 seconds for Brock and Misty thing. Why is that?

Why don't they just re-use all of the original voices then while they are at it? That I can see working well with the scene. The thing is, I'm pretty sure they'll end up re-dubbing it anyway.

Last edited:
Well an alternative is for the dub simply to have the narrator talk over the characters, so you don't hear anyone speaking. Like the narrator saying, "This is when Ash let Charizard go in the valley" like those last episode recaps. You wouldn't hear much character voice then.

I can see them quickly having Knotz do Misty though since she's barely going to be on-screen anyway, so for two lines consisting of, "Oh Charmander your tail" won't be a big deal. Even if its been like 7 years since Michelle Knotz last played Misty over half a decade ago, it shouldn't be too hard for her to get it back to that level.

Well an alternative is for the dub simply to have the narrator talk over the characters, so you don't hear anyone speaking. Like the narrator saying, "This is when Ash let Charizard go in the valley" like those last episode recaps. You wouldn't hear much character voice then.

I can see them quickly having Knotz do Misty though since she's barely going to be on-screen anyway, so for two lines consisting of, "Oh Charmander your tail" won't be a big deal. Even if its been like 7 years since Michelle Knotz last played Misty over half a decade ago, it shouldn't be too hard for her to get it back to that level.

I'd rather either of those two options tbh.

Last edited:

Its pretty much expected for Ash and Brock's current voices to do the flashbacks, so they'd likely use Knotz for the minor scenes Misty appears in.

Its funny because Gary's voice actor isn't listed, so if they show anything of Charizard Vs. Blastoise we probably won't see Gary speaking. Wonder why they did that and didn't "silence" Misty and Brock too.

Its pretty much expected for Ash and Brock's current voices to do the flashbacks, so they'd likely use Knotz for the minor scenes Misty appears in.

Its funny because Gary's voice actor isn't listed, so if they show anything of Charizard Vs. Blastoise we probably won't see Gary speaking. Wonder why they did that and didn't "silence" Misty and Brock too.

Exactly. Unfortunately, Lillis hasn't been around since S11 for some reason. I also feel like it would be way out of place to hear Misty's original voice with Ash and Brock's current ones.

I'd rather hear Taylor, Stuart, Lillis or Natochenny, Rogers, Knotz tbh. A mixture of them just feels too weird to me.

Last edited:
The animation during Charizard Vs. Dragonite looks really good, hopefully Ash and Iris have a decent length battle which is the highlight of this episode for most. That will definitely be the highlight of the episode compared to the other more minor elements this episode is providing.

Would be cool if we briefly see a scene of Ash's old Pokemon at Oak's similar to the last opening.

I wouldn't mind either of the two ways as well and I actually hope it's the first one.

I'm sure there are a few people in their mid to late 20's who grew up with the Original Series working for TPCi today, who would like the original voicing back too. I'm sure what it boils down to though is legality over nostalgia: whether or not that under Bill Rogers' contract, it still states that he is listed as the sole voice of Brock which will decide on what happens. Same with Sarah. I mean, I don't know any of the business side of the current voice actors/actresses, but depending on if they are contracted and how long their contracts extend for is what will more than likely happen for any of the flashbacks and it would make TPCi's life easier. I can't really make a good comment on who will voice Misty though, as she had one one single instance where she was voiced under TPCi's dub and that was close to 7 years ago.

I will say though, that if they do happen to get the original voices (live or ripped straight from the 4Kids dub), that would be pretty epic.

Its rather obvious Veronica Taylor has no chance in hell in being used here, and likely not Eric Stuart as well.

zvvkte.jpg
It's funny how they messed on Ash's old design (His left sleeve should be white) in one of his few scenes.

Atleast he looks better than hs was back in actual johto. But what's with the animations complaints? It's just flashbacks for Charizard, does it matter if his sleeve is one or not?

The animators should catch this stuff though.
Usually, I don't care about errors like this if it was a normal scene. but since this is an important flashback, and it's featuring Ash's original design, there's really no excuse to mess it up. I hope this is corrected in the actual episode.

Last edited:
Its rather obvious Veronica Taylor has no chance in hell in being used here, and likely not Eric Stuart as well.

Wouldn't Brock just keep his current voice?? He was here fairly recently.

I think most likely they'll all keep their current voices (I strongly prefer Ash, Misty, and Brock's original dub voices myself: if I had to choose, the one I like the most of the current voices for those characters would be Misty, but that's not really saying much as I still prefer the original dub voice).

Easiest solution for the dub: just get the narrator to voice-over the scene or have Ash describe the scenes instead of re-dubbing himself and all the others in older scenes.

I think most likely they'll all keep their current voices (I strongly prefer Ash, Misty, and Brock's original dub voices myself: if I had to choose, the one I like the most of the current voices for those characters would be Misty, but that's not really saying much as I still prefer the original dub voice).

Easiest solution for the dub: just get the narrator to voice-over the scene or have Ash describe the scenes instead of re-dubbing himself and all the others in older scenes.

Yes but we know they will have a speaking role or they wouldn't be on the voice actor list.

I wouldn't mind either of the two ways as well and I actually hope it's the first one.

I'm sure there are a few people in their mid to late 20's who grew up with the Original Series working for TPCi today, who would like the original voicing back too. I'm sure what it boils down to though is legality over nostalgia: whether or not that under Bill Rogers' contract, it still states that he is listed as the sole voice of Brock which will decide on what happens. Same with Sarah. I mean, I don't know any of the business side of the current voice actors/actresses, but depending on if they are contracted and how long their contracts extend for is what will more than likely happen for any of the flashbacks and it would make TPCi's life easier. I can't really make a good comment on who will voice Misty though, as she had one one single instance where she was voiced under TPCi's dub and that was close to 7 years ago.

I will say though, that if they do happen to get the original voices (live or ripped straight from the 4Kids dub), that would be pretty epic.

Hoping it's the first option myself. I mean, I have nothing personally against Bill, Sarah, or Michele, but it feels a bit disappointing to me that they may re-dub a scene the original voice cast did, you know? That's the only issue I have with this. Now, if Misty and company reappeared, I could pretend everyone aged (which is the only way I was able to look past the dub switch) and accept that much. Re-dubbing a scene the former cast did though, that's pushing it too much to me.

Coming from a biased fan, I have a lot of respect for the original 4Kids dub voice actors (as well as 4Kids for their dub of Pokemon at the least) and honestly I was devastated when TPCi decided to replace them all. That's the first time I ever began to lose my love for Pokemon.

Yes but we know they will have a speaking role or they wouldn't be on the voice actor list.

Unfortunately. If Bill Rogers can just sound younger as Brock and so can Sarah Natochenny as Ash, and Michele Knotz sounds more tomboyish, then I'll be fine with it. If they all sound really aged like in MoMP and DP (respectively), though, it's gonna feel really weird and well... -_-. Also, TPCi dubbers, do NOT write "o'course," "kay," "winnin'," or "trainin'," into the scripts for Ash, please. I'm begging you, none of that dialogue.

Last edited:

Hoping it's the first option myself. I mean, I have nothing personally against Bill, Sarah, or Michele, but it feels a bit disappointing to me that they may re-dub a scene the original voice cast did, you know? That's the only issue I have with this. Now, if Misty and company reappeared, I could pretend everyone aged (which is the only way I was able to look past the dub switch) and accept that much. Re-dubbing a scene the former cast did though, that's pushing it too much to me.

Coming from a biased fan, I have a lot of respect for the original 4Kids dub voice actors (as well as 4Kids for their dub of Pokemon at the least) and honestly I was devastated when TPCi decided to replace them all. That's the first time I ever began to lose my love for Pokemon.

Unfortunately. If Bill Rogers can just sound younger as Brock and so can Sarah Natochenny as Ash, and Michele Knotz sounds more tomboyish, then I'll be fine with it. If they all sound really aged like in MoMP and DP (respectively), though, it's gonna feel really weird and well... -_-. Also, TPCi dubbers, do NOT write "o'course," "kay," "winnin'," or "trainin'," into the scripts for Ash, please. I'm begging you, none of that dialogue.

Technically they are still the same age so it wouldn't be too strange lol.

Technically they are still the same age so it wouldn't be too strange lol.

IKR? See, what's always bothered me is that honestly, both Ash and Brock always sound older than 10 and 15 (respectively) in the TPCi dub to me, which is why their current voices have always annoyed me so much over the years. It's not so much the acting they do now as it is that I think the voices aren't very age appropriate for them if they're really 10 and 15 years old.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom