• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The In-Game Team Advice Thread

Re: The In-Game Team Review Thread

I personally don't think you need to teach a Pokemon Shadow Ball... considering your only weak Pokemon to that type is Alakazam... the rest will more then likely be able to hold up to the ghost type (especially Haunter, who is blindingly fast anyways). However, if you do teach it to him then Nidoking, as stated, is a good idea. Shadow Ball has a lot of power and Nidoking should have a great attack stance. But your team should be able to deal with the ghost type by themselves normally, since they have low defense and/or special defense generally (especially if you teach Jolteon Bite). (Minus the Duskull tree)
I accidentally double posted...sorry. Anyways, thanks. I'm fine with using Bite so I might just teach it to Jolteon. I'm not sure, we'll see.

I had noticed. Bite can really help out; if it doesn't seem to be working too well and you're free an item slot, Black Glasses always helps.
Hope it helps ^_^

Re: Help on Leaf Green Team

A Nidoking suggestion as well. I think I'll have to decide between Aerodactyl and Nidoking. I've never really used either one...could anyone suggest good movesets for them.
OK, I am drunk right now so excuse me if say something really stupid... I cannot give you a good move-set for Aerodactil as I have never used one in my team but I know it is one off the few Pokemon with such a high attacks speed in Red and Green.'

For Nidoking:
Shadow Ball (Dark) - You have to teach it by using the TM.
Sludge Bomb (Poison) - You have to teach it by using the TM.
Earthquake (Ground) - You have to teach it by using the TM.
Megahorn (Insect) - Be careful! If you pass lvl 43 while it is still a Nidorino it will not learn Megahorn cause Nidoking learns it at lvl 43. Then your only option is to go for lvl 53 Nidorino which learns Horn Drill which is a one hit KO attack but has an accuracy of 30... while Megahorn has 120 Dmg and an accuracy of 85. That is why I prefer Megahorn.

This pretty much covers most of the move types the rest of the party might not contain. Of course I made this move-set for my Nidoking to fit with the party I usually make, which I posted on my previous post...

Drunk this early?

And I'm going to use Nidoking. I have another question, though. Of Charizard, Alakazam, Jolteon, Lapras, Snorlax, Nidoking, what Pokemon should I send out first when I don't know what their's will be. I was thinking Snorlax.
It's 8PM here and also I visited a Beer Brewery with some friends so...

yea I think snorlax is yoru best choice and the other one would be Nidoking...

Indeed and if you do choose to teach bite to jolteon then I would suggest a Fighting move (Super Punch or Super Kick, these are the names right?) to Nidoking as the 4rth move... I don't see what else you could use there.

It's Mega Punch and Kick. But surprisingly those are normal types.

When should I evolve into Nidoking if I'm looking for Megahorn instead of Horn Drill?

Gotta be careful with the double posts, there, Zatch. ;)
Anyway, if you go to this sites main page (well, wiki page) they will have all the movesets and levels they learn them! It's a good way to devise a strategy- the site will also tell you where you can find move tutors for great moves, like Substitute!

Anyway, if you go to this sites main page (well, wiki page) they will have all the movesets and levels they learn them! It's a good way to devise a strategy- the site will also tell you where you can find move tutors for great moves, like Substitute!
I've been using bulbapedia for quite something (just registered tho). I thought it only showed Gen V move-sets? Or am I missing something.

No, they show all. If you go to the move set above the chart there will be numbers: I-II-III-IV-V
Click on the gen you want (in your case, click on the III). It will take you to the learnset for Nidoking/Nidorino for that generation. Bulbapedia is quite ingenious!

I wouldn't bother with the Mega Kick/Punch set, though. If you REALLY want a fighting move tehere is Brick Break. Otherwise stick with Shadow Ball if you really aren't sure. Since Nidoking is weak to psychic Shadow Bell would be of more help then a normal type power move.

Somehow I missed the small box to change generations lol. Anyways, thanks guys you were a big help

When should I evolve into Nidoking if I'm looking for Megahorn instead of Horn Drill?
Anytime before lvl 43. I said that allreday...

I've been using bulbapedia for quite something (just registered tho). I thought it only showed Gen V move-sets? Or am I missing something.
Personally for move-sets I do not use bulbapedia but for looking up specific moves and tutors bulba is first on the list.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-4)

I'm playing a saphire version a good friend of mine has lent me.

My team right now is:

Marshtomp
Swellow
Breloom
Electrike
Sableye.

I'm not planning on replacing any of them But what would you recommend for my 6th team slot?

I almost have exclusively used Squirtle in the past...can anyone give me a good move-set for Charizard (I know I can look through the moves myself; I just want other opinions)? Based off my lineup.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-4)

I'm playing a saphire version a good friend of mine has lent me.

My team right now is:

Marshtomp
Swellow
Breloom
Electrike
Sableye.

I'm not planning on replacing any of them But what would you recommend for my 6th team slot?

My team in my Emerald playthough at the moment is almost exactly that. I have a Marshtomp, Swellow, Breloom, Manectric and a Kirlia.

I plan on adding either a Torkoal, Aggron, Dusclops or Armaldo. What I could see fitting into your team, though, for more balance is a Psychic-type like Gardevoir and Grumpig. Claydol is another good choice but that would add to your Ice-type weakness. A Pokemon that resists Ice-type moves, like Magcargo or Armaldo could be an asset to your team as well, in the end (they are also weak to Water-type moves, which the rest of your team resists well). That being said, there's only a small number of Ice-type Pokemon used in-game in Hoenn, so while the threat is a real one, it's minimal.

I almost have exclusively used Squirtle in the past...can anyone give me a good move-set for Charizard (I know I can look through the moves myself; I just want other opinions)? Based off my lineup.
All right I prefer not to go with the extremely powerful moves cause they usually have low accuracy or another counter effect.

A moveset I suggest is:
  1. Flamethrower - Anything stronger than that and it sacrifices accuracy which makes these moves highly unreliable. Also Charizard learns it by itself. I strongly suggest that you do NOT change it for any stronger fire type moves it learns at higher lvls.
  2. Aerial Ace - You can always use an Air type move so. It is important that you do NOT put Fly instead because you are making this team for PvP. This mean that when you use fly the opponent will simply change to a ground type (while your charizard will be flying to attack on the next turn) or something else that is resistant to air type and will then own your ass.
  3. Sword Dance - Dragon type moves are the one of the main reasons why I like Charizard. Sword Dance will give you an x2 Attack and Special attack boost and can be used more than one time in a row. You can also choose belly drum instead which gives you x6 Attack and Special attack boost (the maximum on any boost) but the user looses half of his maximum HP and therefore I do not prefer it as if you fail to 1 hit KO the opponent or if he is faster you are at his mercy half or less than your HP.
  4. Rock Slide - Provided that you teach Earthquake to Nidoking it means you are short on Ground moves (That;s why I use Golem usually. Both ground and rock and it has great defences.)

Also check this out it is the best move-set guide for competitive battling i have ever found and it covers many generations. of course you should be ready to alter the move-sets suggested there as they are for each Pokemon individually and not as a whole team.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?65814-Pokemon-Movesets-Guide-(For-Competitive-Battling)

All right I prefer not to go with the extremely powerful moves cause they usually have low accuracy or another counter effect.

A moveset I suggest is:
  1. Flamethrower - Anything stronger than that and it sacrifices accuracy which makes these moves highly unreliable. Also Charizard learns it by itself. I strongly suggest that you do NOT change it for any stronger fire type moves it learns at higher lvls.
  2. Aerial Ace - You can always use an Air type move so. It is important that you do NOT put Fly instead because you are making this team for PvP. This mean that when you use fly the opponent will simply change to a ground type (while your charizard will be flying to attack on the next turn) or something else that is resistant to air type and will then own your ass.
  3. Sword Dance - Dragon type moves are the one of the main reasons why I like Charizard. Sword Dance will give you an x2 Attack and Special attack boost and can be used more than one time in a row. You can also choose belly drum instead which gives you x6 Attack and Special attack boost (the maximum on any boost) but the user looses half of his maximum HP and therefore I do not prefer it as if you fail to 1 hit KO the opponent or if he is faster you are at his mercy half or less than your HP.
  4. Rock Slide - Provided that you teach Earthquake to Nidoking it means you are short on Ground moves (That;s why I use Golem usually. Both ground and rock and it has great defences.)

Also check this out it is the best move-set guide for competitive battling i have ever found and it covers many generations. of course you should be ready to alter the move-sets suggested there as they are for each Pokemon individually and not as a whole team.

Pokemon Movesets Guide (For Competitive Battling)

Swords Dance only powers up Physical Attack, not special attack. So it wouldn't help Flamethrower at all.

I would recommend giving it Dragon Claw for a good special attack that could really help against Lance if Lapras faints.

Originally Posted by m0ckingbird20:

A moveset I suggest is:
Flamethrower - Anything stronger than that and it sacrifices accuracy which makes these moves highly unreliable. Also Charizard learns it by itself. I strongly suggest that you do NOT change it for any stronger fire type moves it learns at higher lvls.
Aerial Ace - You can always use an Air type move so. It is important that you do NOT put Fly instead because you are making this team for PvP. This mean that when you use fly the opponent will simply change to a ground type (while your charizard will be flying to attack on the next turn) or something else that is resistant to air type and will then own your ass.
Sword Dance - Dragon type moves are the one of the main reasons why I like Charizard. Sword Dance will give you an x2 Attack and Special attack boost and can be used more than one time in a row. You can also choose belly drum instead which gives you x6 Attack and Special attack boost (the maximum on any boost) but the user looses half of his maximum HP and therefore I do not prefer it as if you fail to 1 hit KO the opponent or if he is faster you are at his mercy half or less than your HP.
Rock Slide - Provided that you teach Earthquake to Nidoking it means you are short on Ground moves (That;s why I use Golem usually. Both ground and rock and it has great defences.)

Uhhh... I am not trying to be critical, but keep these things in mind:

1. Ground does not resist Flying.
2. Swords Dance is not a Dragon-type move. Additionally, Swords Dance and Belly Drum only boost Attack.

I suggest:
-Hidden Power [Flying]
-Earthquake
-Belly Drum
-Substitute / Flamethrower

This set gives you all kinds of options, and can be tweaked to suit anyone's style.

My Platinum Team

Infernape Lv 38 (Blaze) Flamethrower/Close Combat/Drain Punch/Sunny Day

Staraptor Lv 39 (Intimidate) Fly/Close Combat/Return/Endeavor

Gastrodon Lv 38 (Sticky Hold) Surf/Mud Bomb/Body Slam/Hidden Power

Bronzong Lv 38 (Heatproof) Confuse Ray/Zen Headbutt/Iron Defense/Safeguard

Tangrowth Lv 39 (Leaf Guard) AncientPower/Toxic/Mega Drain/Stun Spore

Just got to Canalave Gym. What should my sixth party member be? I honestly can't decide, but I don't want another Mamoswine, since I've used it in every single playthrough of every game after Platinum (bar B/W). Also, should I change any of my moves? I'm going to replace Endeavor with Brave Bird and Mega Drain with Giga Drain for sure.

Any move-set suggestions for Alakazam?

I was thinking Recover/Psychic. I don't believe I can get Ice Punch or Thunder Punch. Any ideas for the last 2?

Any move-set suggestions for Alakazam?

I was thinking Recover/Psychic. I don't believe I can get Ice Punch or Thunder Punch. Any ideas for the last 2?

focus blast for dark types and depending on what game you have you can get the punches tutored to you

Back
Top Bottom