• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Misty or Iris?

Who?

• Total voters

Cybersai

Reaction score
Well we have polls about Misty and the other two girls, so why not the fourth?

This one is a bit different because Iris has a much more similar role to Misty than the other two, and her actual personality is somewhat closer. Who is better to you?

Agreed in terms of Iris' personality. She has a much closer personality to Misty's than either May or Dawn were (who do both have many things in common with their personalities).

Going with Misty for sure on this one. Iris is just too mean sometimes...I mean the "you're such a little kid" stuff gets really old after a while (thank god it stopped in Episode N), and comes off as really shallow and hypocritical on her part. With Misty, you still knew that she was more compassionate and gentle with Ash despite her actually having more experience than Ash did (the reverse is true with Iris).

Granted both Misty and Iris are far more hot-tempered than May or Dawn, but Misty was a lot more likeable to me, as she never demeaned Ash to the point where it was outright rude and derogatory.

I'm going to have to go with Misty here. While I've never been much of a fan for her and even when I watched the original series, she didn't do much for me and was just okay at best, that's far better than my opinion on Iris. Iris has an annoying and unlikable personality, she doesn't work at all to earn the accomplishments she has gained over the series and all of the accomplishments she has achieved, aside from Axew mastering Dragon Rage, were practically handed to her. Out of all of the girls, Misty and Iris are the most similar to each other, but at least Misty yelling at Ash was usually deserved due to being a rookie. It's pretty rare for Iris's "You're such a little kid" comments towards Ash to be warranted, even with how he's been handled in BW, which does make her comments more annoying to deal with. Plus, they didn't go out of their way to make Misty look like a gifted trainer when she was just about average like they've done with Iris. I'd gladly take a character that I'm indifferent towards over one that is painfully annoying for me.

Misty is my obvious choice. Her interactions with Ash were much better than Iris'. Misty's insulting of Ash's skills makes more sense due to him being a rookie at the time. Even when Ash was in a bad situation, she would show concern and give him advice to win the battle. She wasn't hypocritical towards Ash seeing as they were basically both on a similar level.
From the very beginning Iris critsized Ash's abilities, not even knowing his skills or history as a trainer. And then she turns out to be no better by having a weak Axew that gets hurt by a weakened Bullet Seed and a disobedient Excadrill. Not only that, but all of Iris wins were handed to her through cheap battles and overpowered Pokemon. Her excessive use of the little kid catchphrase also got extremely annoying and really should have been abandoned by the time Ash got like his 5th badge or something.
Overall, Misty is just more tolerable than Iris and is actually able to get valid wins without disobedient OP Pokemon.

I voted Iris. Misty just annoyed me a lot at times, and I like Iris's design more anyway. She's prettier, imo, and I love her hair. :p

Also, those of you talking about Iris criticizing Ash, Ash made some pretty amateurish mistakes in the BW anime that he should never have made when he's been through four other regions and won all the badges from each. I don't blame Iris for thinking he looked inexperienced and stuff. I also find her "what a kid" insult to be pretty funny a lot of the time, same with some of the other things she says. lol

I also think her Axew is adorable, even if he was weak at first. But he got strong. This little guy knows moves like Giga Impact and Outrage, damn it. He could even do some damage to Cynthia's Garchomp for god's sake. Granted, he learned these moves a little early for my tastes, but it still shows that he's grown a lot since the beginning. We didn't see Misty's Pokemon grow so much aside from Poliwag to Politoed, and even then, it didn't get as much growth as Axew. And Axew still has yet to even evolve!

Oh, and I liked how we learned more about Iris's backstory than we ever did about Misty's. Iris was born in the Village of Dragons and loved playing outdoors with the wild Pokemon there. We learn how she met her Excadrill and was given Axew when she was old enough to go on a journey. Then we also learned about how she tried going to Drayden's school, but that didn't work out. What do we know of Misty's history? That she's from Cerulean City and its gym, has three older sisters, and almost got eaten by a Gyarados. Yeah. :/

I think Iris was handled reasonably better up until she got a Dragonite, then she just became too Mary Sue-ish.

I think Iris was handled reasonably better up until she got a Dragonite, then she just became too Mary Sue-ish.

I think that the moment Axew learned Outrage out of nowhere started the Mary Sue-ish treatment for Iris. There is just no excuse for Axew learning moves like that and Giga Impact with no training or difficulty when it took so long for it to master a basic move like Dragon Rage. Dragonite certainly didn't help with that treatment though.

I voted for Iris.

I don't have a problem with Misty, I never hated her, for the most part I think I'm indifferent to her. I thought she had some fun interactions with the group and meshed well with them and had a fun personality. Pokemon are pretty much everything to me about a character and for the most part Misty's team was pretty weak and not memorable for me, unfortunately she hardly did much through her run and didn't get much screen-time, it seemed like most of her Pokemon only appeared to use Water Gun and most of her battles were pretty boring to me. For the most part Misty was comedic and, imo, a characters need more than just comedy/joke before they become stale. Going back to her team Goldeen couldn't battle on land, Staryu didn't have a face thus couldn't emote, Starmie got sent packing early on, Horsea was a combo of Goldeen and Starmie's issues, Psyduck was comedic most of the time and filled the Water-type funny role(Piplup, Oshawott, Marshtomp, Totodile, Ludicolo, etc.), Togepi was background fodder, Politoed and Corsola were the most used and had some fun personality. Both being somewhat decent battlers by the end of their runs, though for some reason Politoed never battled after evolving. The majority of Misty's team suffered from major underusage. Screentime was definitely her biggest enemy, sometimes the stereotypical cuteness and vain feminine behavior did get annoying for me, like back in Vulpix's capture episode where she claimed the outside mattered more than the inside. But overall I thought she was entertaining a lot at times.

I prefer Iris because I like her wild-child motif, was glad to learn about her backstory, prefer her design, like her hair, think all her Pokemon have some nice stand-out personalities and have had some entertaining battles. I like her goal and how it got elaborated on with what it means to be a "Dragon Master"(Attune to Dragon Pokemon's hearts and raise their power levels.) and it wasn't left vague like past Master titles. I like her interactions for the most part and despite my vices about her Axew not being used as much as it should I still really like him and think he's cute("KibaKiba"). She's, without a doubt, not flawless in the slightest because as I said before her Axew's underusage and him learning Outrage that lead to the defeat of Luke's Golett was questionable as was Dragonite's capture right before a tournament(The only thing wrong about that capture was the timing for me.) and in-general I can see how her catchphrase at times can get under people's skin. I like her rival, Georgia, and think she's easily the best rival of BW and had some nice development. With all the chips laid down, the thing I like most about her is her backstory and how she had a nice past with Excadrill(That continues to be one of my favorite episodes of BW) and went to Drayden's school and sucked at it, that hit home for me a bit because of my own past social awkwardness.:)P) She doesn't give a care about girly aspects and stands up to bullies constantly, I do really like her a lot and root for her when I can.

Last edited:
I like both of them, but in the end, I prefer Misty. Since this is a "one-or-the-other" poll, I voted for Misty.

I guess I liked Misty more than Iris, only because Kanto/Orange Misty was a lot funnier than Iris was.

Still it's noticeable how Iris just gets more battles and tournaments and a bit more backstory.

This thread's to say which one you like more, not to argue about how a person presented their opinion or whatever you want to call it. The thread's about choosing between Iris and Misty.

Further, don't just go into a thread and say "they're both awful." This may be a Contest thread, but you still have to put thought into your posts, explain your answer. And obviously, people do care about it. So if you're just going into a thread to insult the characters and not add to the thread beyond that, it's better not to post at all.

Oh alright.

I don't like either of them. Misty is the typical tsundere has little characterization beyond the stereotype associated with the character archetype.

Meanwhile, Iris is dangerously close to being a Creator's Pet. Not quite there yet but she's close.

Neither are great characters but I despise tsunderes with a burning passion so I consider Iris the 'better' character, whatever that amounts to.

Misty has always been my favorite female in the series and I guess I'd call Iris my second favorite then, because I find May and Dawn extremely annoying.

I'd obviously have to say then, that I prefer Misty if for no other reason than that she's a better trainer and actually has skill in battle. Iris is all talk most of the time and yes, while she has won some battles, she just acts as if she's so great when her Axew has barely improved since the first episode, and her remaining Pokemon have generally ignored her.

Misty had good Pokemon: Starmie, Staryu, Goldeen, Gyarados, Politoed, Corsola, Psyduck....hell, even Togepi was more useful than Axew before it even evolved. And speaking of her Pokemon, she's ACTUALLY working on her goal to be a water-type master. Iris has two dragon-types out of her four Pokemon: one of them doesn't listen and the other never fights. I'm starting to question how serious Iris is about being a dragon-master.

Last edited:
Misty has always been my favorite female in the series and I guess I'd call Iris my second favorite then, because I find May and Dawn extremely annoying

I'd obviously have to say then, that I prefer Misty if for no other reason than that she's a better trainer and actually has skill in battle. Iris is all talk most of the time and yes, while she has won some battles, she just acts as if she's so great when her Axew has barely improved since the first episode, and her remaining Pokemon have generally ignored her

Iris' Excadrill is very powerful, so I don't know where you get that idea from.

Back
Top Bottom