• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

How does it make me feel... how does it make me feel?

...Happy. At such an age of the franchise, there will always be those who didn't know Pokemon in the past. We can always delight in sharing our experiences.

I'm not going to say I like it, because I don't. I guess I'm happy for them, but to see what the show has become over the years...saddened. I wish they'd see the older eps/series instead, and give them a chance to see where a lot of us are coming from, rather than playing the universal excuse on older fans in the form of the "nostalgia" card to discredit any opinions to the contrary. One of my friends' favorite series is DP, yet he actually gives me some points why he likes it the most, and I can definitely understand that. It's when someone just calls you an idiot or a moron or merely nostalgic for liking the older series more that is upsetting to me.

Sure the show has always been a 30-minute advertisment for the games, but it seems like the writers (and sometimes the dubbers) actually really tried to make a decent show before. Like they actually cared not to rehash everytime, and things were genuinely believable and relatable. There was some realistic emotion present, and I felt like each movie in particular was really special until they just kept making more and more of them.

The dub...alright, I know 4Kids made countless mistakes and I'm not denying the editing and errors were poor, but I actually enjoyed the show they put out for the most part, and it made me feel like they really cared, for all the crap they did sometimes. With TPCi, it seems like practically everything is done for the almighty dollar. I barely see any promos for the BW seasons anymore, other than 20-30 seconds at the most. The voice acting is...for lack of a better term...not as appropriate as it was in the older dub seasons for the main characters (to me, of course, opinions will differ), and the emotion is often flat and lacks character and passion at many points. Occasionally they'll be really peppy and energetic, showing tremendous emotion (I couldn't be happier with this), and the next episode they'll read their lines flatly and just like they want to get it over with and it's just a job to them. The intros are always about friendship, and lack any variety or substance.

Let me say, I'm going to die a little inside if the dub ends with Sarah Natochenny's Ash. Something about that feels incredibly dirty to me. I don't know why...I know the original dub VAs are long gone by now, but it still sucks to me for some reason.

The JPN version has let me down the most, though, don't get me wrong. It's not the dub's fault for some of the godawful writing we've had in Unova. Case in point: the Unova League. That just shot me down entirely, and I came back to reality that Ash's journey will never end until ratings in JPN fall low enough that the show is cancelled entirely. His journey will never end, and that's the saddest thing about it all. The writers have completely screwed over countless characters, replaced them only to replace them with newer ones over and over again, and eventually we're going to reach a point where the character Misty isn't even known by 90% of the fanbase. The show has gone from mostly a 30-minute advertisment for the games to a complete money-making scheme entirely. It's been sad to watch. The Unova Saga felt so new, and I felt it was reviving the series, but the writers' poor skills have really shot down what could've been the series to reunite fans new and old with freshness. *sigh*

I'm most saddened by the fact in 2 gens I will be deemed a "nostalgiafag" just because I prefer the older Pokemon series to the newer ones. It's very depressing and, for that reason, I've grown quite distant and detached from the series these days. I'm pretty sure unless X and Y blows me away, my journey with the series in general will end with Best Wishes! I've had some great times with the series, and bad times, so I can only hope that kids growing up with the current series respect the old while loving the new. That's all I really want from them. :)

(To be fair to the dubbers, the dub has really just lost the feel that Pokemon was a unique show to me. It's still a decent dub now, and I'd rather watch it than 85% of the stuff on CN or Nickelodeon now. It's mainly the JPN version's writing that has been adversely affecting the series. The dub just isn't helping matters, I guess). I feel like I'm being a jerk, but that's honestly how I truly feel about the series right now.

Last edited:
What do I think of kids growing up with the new anime?
They're lucky.
They're getting an amazing show now.

Especially compared to the original seasons.
For one, the dub voices. Veronica Taylor's Ash voice was a joke. She gave him the voice of a six year old girl with a throat cold. Jessie and Misty, Brock and James. These two started out with the same voice actors, both of whom were simply awful. May's first voice was too breathy to be real, and Max's sounded too old.
In contrast, the new dub is amazing. Sarah just keeps improving at Ash's voice-many can't tell that it's a woman when first they hear it. The supporting characters also have amazing voices, especially Cilan, Jessie, James, Stephan, Cameron, and Bianca. Also, all of the Gym Leaders and most minor characters have had great voices.

Also: Team Rocket. I got sick of seeing them suffer. Seriously. 659 episodes of watching them scream,"Ya Na Kanji". Either the creators were so immature that they thought that kind of slapstick was funny, or they were sadistic. However, Team Rocket has improved so much recently. I like it when they are minor characters like they should be, but still pose a good challenge for the main characters to overcome. I liked their black uniforms, as well as Pierce, a lot, but it was okay when they removed them. After all, the company has to cater to stupid nogalstia fans(not like the one who posted above me: the worse ones). I'm so glad that they only "blast off" four times in Black and White.

Also, they have started creating better drawings and spending more time animating the show, which gives it an amazing quality.

All in all, it is a much more high quality show now, and while it may not be as fun as DP, it is worth any minor drawbacks. People growing up with this are seeing the Pokemon Anime at its best.

What do I think of kids growing up with the new anime?
They're lucky.
They're getting an amazing show now.

Especially compared to the original seasons.
For one, the dub voices. Veronica Taylor's Ash voice was a joke. She gave him the voice of a six year old girl with a throat cold. Jessie and Misty, Brock and James. These two started out with the same voice actors, both of whom were simply awful. May's first voice was too breathy to be real, and Max's sounded too old.
In contrast, the new dub is amazing. Sarah just keeps improving at Ash's voice-many can't tell that it's a woman when first they hear it. The supporting characters also have amazing voices, especially Cilan, Jessie, James, Stephan, Cameron, and Bianca. Also, all of the Gym Leaders and most minor characters have had great voices.

Also: Team Rocket. I got sick of seeing them suffer. Seriously. 659 episodes of watching them scream,"Ya Na Kanji". Either the creators were so immature that they thought that kind of slapstick was funny, or they were sadistic. However, Team Rocket has improved so much recently. I like it when they are minor characters like they should be, but still pose a good challenge for the main characters to overcome. I liked their black uniforms, as well as Pierce, a lot, but it was okay when they removed them. After all, the company has to cater to stupid nogalstia fans(not like the one who posted above me: the worse ones). I'm so glad that they only "blast off" four times in Black and White.

Also, they have started creating better drawings and spending more time animating the show, which gives it an amazing quality.

All in all, it is a much more high quality show now, and while it may not be as fun as DP, it is worth any minor drawbacks. People growing up with this are seeing the Pokemon Anime at its best.

I think the exact opposite on all points, but thanks for sharing, as it gives me a different perspective on the series right now. For me, it's not so much about the animation quality, or the drawings: it's about the characters and the story to me. It's about the emotional moments. It's about what Pokemon does in that it brought a lot of people together just to share in simple moments of everyday happiness. I strongly prefer the dub voices used in the first few seasons as well myself. They sound a lot more like kids than the voices we have now to me for the twerps, and for TRio, they sound more fitting to me. *shrugs*

Last edited:
I couldn't care less about what the kids are watching while growing up. ^^'

But to elaborate my post a bit more, well, they are lucky for not growing up watching the Johto saga of the anime.

I really do not no what to think.

All I know is that, later, in the 8th gen, once-kids may go onto this forum and call Best Wishes "better" than the sixth, seventh, and even 8th gen anime.

I couldn't care less about what the kids are watching while growing up. ^^'

But to elaborate my post a bit more, well, they are lucky for not growing up watching the Johto saga of the anime.

Im not sure if i would call this a "blessing". If anything despite all flaws i actually find Johto series had higher quality than what new generations are getting now. At least there was provided better sense of following making it feel how Ash and others are going somewhere, there was sense of continuity present into anime feeling like sequel to what was established before, and anime radiated with more spontaneous, unforced dynamic between characters sticking much less to frames dictated by games.

As opposite to nowadays situation experiencing constant rehashes with Ash character and story , reused plots of what we saw before with no real direction or continuity present behind it. Not to mention scarse history not being adept with previous companions which influenced Ash growth as trainer missing on some really great characters which brought more charm and identity to show imo, or any achievement and growth build about protagonists in AG and DP.

Personally i feel in one hand sorry for today generations because of missing on great deal of anime history and everyone which helped build its story of what it became today. As well finding personally how this show had more originality and thought put into it before.

Of course its all matter of opinion being upon individual what he will perceive as improvement or decline.
But this is how i feel about whole thing.

To be honest, I feel a little bad for them. Not because of any terrible dub or anything (because I've always liked both), but because they'll never get to know the full series. I remember when BW started and everyone was wondering where Dawn was. They aren't used to the routine we've had since Misty. These guys may never even know who Misty was unless they're really into Pokemon. Or how cool Ash used to be when he turned his hat around for more than the first two episodes. Or the true rival, Gary, as opposed to Paul and even that waste of a rival, Trip. They'll just never get to see that like we did.

That's one of the reasons I'm so grateful the Pokemon site has episodes from all of the series.

If they grew up with Diamond and Pearl, awesome for them. I feel terrible for the kids stuck with Black and White.

I feel good about kids watching pokemon these days. With newer technology there's increasing competition. Kids have so many choices in terms of gaming, like playing with a DS, iphone, ipad, and others. When I went back to my old middle school for the annual spaghetti supper, I saw 2 girls, probably 1stt graders, playing pokemon. It made me feel old watching them play, but made me happy to see that there's a younger generation playing pokemon.

I never have had a problem with 4Kids, they did a great job of injecting humour into the show and the va's were great. I don't like PokemonUSA at all, they try to twist the dialogue into being cooler and more relatable to todays generation, and to me, that puts me off the show. I no longer watch the dubs anymore.

In terms of the storylines and characters, I can imagine kids warming to Pokemon just as much as I did back in the day. BW has captured the essence of the Kanto trio pretty well, actually. I think DP would have been maybe more exciting for kids but have had less of an impression, it lacked that magic that kids derive nostalgia from.

Just my opinions :p

I never had a problem with 4Kids either with Pokemon. Honestly, I much prefer their dub to the current dub. I had a lot more fun watching the show when they dubbed it. The original VAs for the main chars were brilliant. *shrugs*

To be honest, I feel a little bad for them. Not because of any terrible dub or anything (because I've always liked both), but because they'll never get to know the full series. I remember when BW started and everyone was wondering where Dawn was. They aren't used to the routine we've had since Misty. These guys may never even know who Misty was unless they're really into Pokemon. Or how cool Ash used to be when he turned his hat around for more than the first two episodes. Or the true rival, Gary, as opposed to Paul and even that waste of a rival, Trip. They'll just never get to see that like we did.That's one of the reasons I'm so grateful the Pokemon site has episodes from all of the series.

I don't think either dub is bad, but I liked the older one more myself. The new one feels so boring sometimes...it's not bad, but there's no entertainment value anymore to me. No jokes to spice up the more boring episodes. OS was the best series to me, and I'm not speaking from nostalgia alone. I've seen each series and I still feel it was the best. lol.

Last edited:
This is actually sort of a weird case for me. My sister grew up with a newer series (Diamond and Pearl.) I wouldn't have a problem with it if he was willing to actually try and watch the other series. But she's too adamant about Dawn to try and like other characters.

In the old days... Ash was our hero.

But is Ash a hero to the kids today?

That's what I feel.
I think so. My nephew, cousin, and second-cousins really look up to him because he's nice to his Pokemon and fights against the evil teams. My nephew even wanted me to trade him a Charizard and Torterra into his Pearl game so he can be like Ash. (Which reminds me, I have to breed him a Charmander.)

And I think that, no matter what series kids grow up with, Ash will always be a hero to kids. No matter the changes, he's still the same character and he'll always have qualities kids look up to. And the thought of kids sharing the same idol I had a kid is so nice - it makes the world feel a little smaller, don't you think?

People growing up with different series, different characters, Pokemon, and stories. But because of Ash, the kids today will have something in common with the kids of yesterday. The show moves forward but won't forget its past, and that's the show I'll want kids to watch. As long as their shows and our shows are connected, I'm happy, because we'll be able to connect.

Bah, look at me just blathering on about nonsense.

Edit: You guys are actually liking this post? I was just making shit up as I went along lol.

Last edited:
I don't think that they really have a problem either. I grew up with both Original (back then in syndication) and Advanced. Yet, I really like BW much more. I think it has the potential to drag modern children into the franchise...

I just feel happy that at least they're not growing up with something worse. That, and I actually like the BW series.

I also like BW and its dub too. I'm only ending my run with the anime because I feel that they keep milking Ash and it's too sad for me to watch that go on any longer.

I just feel happy that at least they're not growing up with something worse. That, and I actually like the BW series.

I also like BW and its dub too. I'm only ending my run with the anime because I feel that they keep milking Ash and it's too sad for me to watch that go on any longer.

I agree. I still watch the anime, and I probably will keep watching it, but watching Ash keep going and going and never achieving anything is just getting more and more painful at this point.

I agree. I still watch the anime, and I probably will keep watching it, but watching Ash keep going and going and never achieving anything is just getting more and more painful at this point.

Exactly. It's really painful to watch him never achieve anything for so long.

They don't know them. So? It's like saying you don't know your grandpa's favourite TV show and he smacks you in the head and says it was the best TV show and he feels sorry for the kids of today. (Add "Pokemon" instead of "TV show" and make grandpa a bit younger and you have yourself a genwunner. And yes, those still exist. Most of them just commited suicide because of NewMew, but there are still some left). They have no idea who they are. Either that or they're 11 years old now and know everyone from Alabaster to Zinzolin, like me.

EDIT:

Exactly. It's really painful to watch him never achieve anything for so long.

I heard they're going to completely renovate everything along with X and Y, including the anime, manga, and cards. Maybe we're going to have a new protagonist in an alternate universe where everything is the same, but time actually passes and it's years into the future. Ash and the rest could make cameos, and the new characters would actually age.

EDIT2: Also, when all of the genwunners die, there'll be genfithers who say that "GENERATION 5 WAS WAY BETTER THAN THOSE GENERATION 9 POKEMON! I MEAN, A POKEMON BASED ON A CHAIR?!!!1! THAT'S SO LAME!"
Then Cheezburger's Pokememe fanbase will start making memes about how Generation 5 had Pokemon that were ice-cream and garbage bags.
THEN when they all die out, there'll be genseveners.

EDIT3:
This is actually sort of a weird case for me. My sister grew up with a newer series (Diamond and Pearl.) I wouldn't have a problem with it if he was willing to actually try and watch the other series. But she's too adamant about Dawn to try and like other characters.
We already have a genforther? ITS STARTING!!!1!!1!!!ONE!!!!!1!

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom